Olde English 800 | Miller Brewing Co.

awful
awful
Read the review
Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

Reviews: 305 | Ratings: 1,020
1.38/5  rDev -36.7%

I've just had a couple of lambic brews in a row, and it occurred to me what a fool I am, for I haven't seen anyone wearing any trucker hats with the Lindemans logo on it, or seen any cool hipster struttin' down the avenue in a Hanssen's hoodie...though, I have seen both of those done with OE 800 gear! I'll never be fly being a Belgian beer guy, I can only get fresh if I'm down with the malt likka crew, right? ...right?
Well, let's see if I can do it. Got the 40, but it's not in a bag, so I lose points, and I'm going to pour it into a glass, so now I'm really screwed...Anyway...crackle goes the crown, color's the pale yellow that matches faded urine, I know it's cliched to say, but it's also true as it gets, with a big, puffy bone-white head that collapses assuredly down...nice while it lasts, though.
Aroma: soft and spare, cushy, grainy, slightly citric and strawish, nothing horrible, but nothing, nonetheless.
Taste: water. Grain-inflected water, slightly sweet, but, barely anything, with a cereal grit in the mouthfeel, if it can claim any at all. There are traces of malt in the taste, minor at best, and nothing else, this is a shadow of a beer, a whisper, a phantom, but one that has a trick up it's sleeve, like all the best of this variety. Oh, yeah, no bothersome flavor, but extra-boozy, that's why they drink this ...and only a few tastes in, I can feel the hurt and the headache beginning to gather forces on my mind, and I wonder whether this exercise in masochistic research is worth it at all (the bottle was a gift, as a joke, and the punchline arrived as soon as I announced I was drinking it), and I'm sure it's not...Time to send this swill down the drain and save my brain. There's a nice doppelbock calling my name, once I wash the taste of this garbage from my mouth.

2.82/5  rDev +29.4%

Bad beer Thursdays 2011, episode 3 -- Olde E!

Beer is yellow and clear with a nice soft white head and aggressive carbonation, head leaves lacing on the glass. Beer is totally clear. Looks like beer.

Aroma is light and weak with some pilsner sweetness. Eh...it's definitely not informative as an aroma.

Beer is cold....cold is a flavor right? Yeah, yeah it is. Beer is cold, grainy aftertaste, late acid astringency forward mild pilsner flavor. Beer is medium in body and I've definitely had worse, much much worse. I think it's the charcoal filtering that makes this beer superior to its peers. Beer is back heavy with little going on in the front but I should be able to finish this bottle.

1.74/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The final entry in the small contest known as the High-Low Invitational, where I try out a few unusual styles with a wide range of ABV. Bud Ice Light beat out Coors NA for who was fairer in the land, but now comes a malt liquor packing a 7.5 ABV punch standing in the former's way to which brew takes home the prize in this small contest. Inspired by The Game's track "Ol' English" (younger folks might know this), on to the beer:

I poured it out of its 16 ounce can into a pint glass just to see the look. Looks kind of like pale lager, but has a surprising head that holds well. The smell could be more polished; corn fructose, alcoholic, and a bit of husk. Now comes the punishment; there's a corn syrup aroma in the back of the taste, but is mainly dominated by a sharp stab of alcohol and metal. Very painful to consume. I can't imagine drinking this to get drunk. Stay away from flammable objects if you do, as you'll feel the alcoholic fumes go down your throat.

Now to reveal the winner: And the winner is...

Bud Ice Light!

A very exciting meet we had here, recognizing the beer styles untested to most. Hats off to Light Ice, Malt Liquor, and Non-Alcoholic for their participation. Check my previous reviews to see what you missed of this contest. Good night everyone!

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

3.13/5  rDev +43.6%

Poured from a clear bottle into a weizen glass. Has a rich golden color with about 1/2 inch head. Weak malt smell. The taste is malty and not all that great. Feels somewhat bitter in the mouth. Drinkability is o.k. I guess. This is a beer I drank a lot of in my youth but don't care for so much now.

1.69/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

16oz can into a regular kitchen glass and then some, when times are tough you gotta do what you gotta do, Right? Well maybe not..

Eight hundred brang the noise when the can was popped but no beer exploded from the alluminum, thank god, I thought this would be a gusher. Burnt yellow with a tannish outline and no sediment at all. Clear enough to see through the glass. A one inch loose bright white head left no lace and bounced quickly.

"You'll never get out of this maze." 800 smells like a corn field. While that is the main scent a big malt presense is also up there, well duh, it's a malt liquor Barry. The malts give off a sweet scent, but I would not call it the usual caramel. No alcohol detected in the scent which I was actually expecting.

Corn husks and sweet malt, that pretty much sums up the taste of this popular ML. Upon sipping this, I was taken back in time about 15 years ago when I was a little badass and drinking 40's of this stuff with the village posse. No hops at all, do they even use hops in this? Is this even beer? Well yes it is, in theory, but also in theory, communism works!

The feel is a bit lighter than medium while the crispness of the carbonation is not as high as I remembered. It goes down pretty easy but in no way is this a easy beer to drink. Not big on a lasting aftertaste and the alcohol is surprisingly well hidden. I could only take small sips of this, I mean orca small. If I took bigger sips of this I would throw it up. The only reason I did not give this a F is because it did not make me sick afterwards.

I don't know how some people can stomach this stuff, different strokes for different folks I guess.

2.63/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear light gold color.

Smell is a bananas and corn smell, with an alcohol scent.

Taste is sweet with lots of corn in the taste, not real good, but not real bad either. The can is superior to the clear glass bottle version. Has an alcohol flavor.

Mouthfeel is actually thickish.

Drinkability? This stuff was the lowest of the low back when I was in College. It isn't great but even swill like this beats the regular macro stuff.

2.35/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from 24oz can into a pint glass. Olde E -- the drink of distinction! I'll confess the last time I had Olde E was more than 10 years ago and I was probably underage at the time. Clearly, it made an impression on me back then.

Appearance: medium gold with no haze and a moderate effervescence, just like a lot of these malt liquors. Head poured a finger of fizzy white foam but, I'm amazed to say, it didn't dissipate instantly. Head stuck around at least twice as long as other malt liquors (so, you know, 30 seconds).

Smell: sweet malt aroma but not as plasticy as some; it's both lower in intensity and a little bit deeper than a lot of malt liquors. Not awful for the style.

Taste: sweetish malt, again with a certain deepness. I can't say that I'm a fan, exactly, but this is not terrible as malt liquors go.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a light fizzy carbonation. Nothing to speak of here.

Overall: I'm hardly a malt liquor connoisseur, but for sub-$2 24oz cans of anything beer-like, you might have a hard time beating Olde E.

1.12/5  rDev -48.6%

It's fitting that the picture of this beer on the site is of an empty bottle, because you should never go near this liquid. If you want to live, that is.

I could buy a case of this shit for like 18 bucks at the gas station at my college, which I did a few times.

It's yellow, like urine. I didn't pour it out, because it was taped to my wrists. I would've looked like a dumbass if I had poured it out. Because I didn't look stupid with them taped to my wrists, obviously.

Smells kinda like corn, but mostly like sweat.

Unless you have an iron stomach, you can't drink this beer fast enough, which means it will unfortunately warm up. Might as well end your life. This beer is utterly ATROCIOUS as it warms up- tastes like stale cereal that's been left in muddy ditch that a homeless person with Lupus just peed in. Oh dear lord.

I guess it's light bodied, wasn't really paying attention. It seems well carbonated. Not even a little bit drinkable.

When you stare into the abyss, sometimes the abyss stares back into you. Or something.

1.84/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Here we go..this is the beer that got me into drinking beer, and projectile vomiting, at the ripe old age of 14. Can’t believe I got a glass of this recently from a “friend.” Some friend.

As the reviewer below me succinctly put it, this looks like urine. Foamy piss in the toilet, which is what it soon becomes. Smells grainy, corny, and boozy. Taste is metallic, with corn underneath, and strong alcohol throughout. Malt is light and fairly sweet. No hops to speak of, just a touch of bitterness. A little bready maybe. Unpleasant for sure. Short finish with a light body, watery, with medium carbonation. At least it doesn’t linger on the palette very long.

Stay away! Strictly for puking teens and alcoholics.

2.96/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

From the 40 fl. oz. bottle APR2312-005111712. Sampled on December 4, 2011. Good crack on the twist off top. The pour is pale to golden yellow with a real fizzy head that settles down to a ring and leaves clinging lacing in its wake.

Okay I am rating this on the American Malt Liquor style. As far as the style goes the aroma is comfortably malted with corn and grass but it is not terribly obnoxious. The body is thin and typical for the style. A lot of malt liquors make me wince and grind my teeth as I sip them but not this one. It was not half-bad as far as the style goes. There is a sweet grainy character in the taste with a clean hop finish.

Of course this is not a craft. It is what it is, brewed to quench your thirst, accompany dogs and beans, and drown your sorrows. This one is a bit better than the average malt liquor.

1.6/5  rDev -26.6%

I guess I was feeling nostalgic but I had to throw in my 2 cents.
Look, if your'e drinking this then you are planning on getting lit on the cheap or just broke. Hopefully, if it is the former then you are in college, like I used to get down. Of course, I've been on the latter side also and it sucks, much like Old E. The light gold/yellow color is see thru when held up to the light, and the smell is just like rubbing alcohol. While the taste is horrendous, it at least does not contain a bitter aftertaste. Oh, and after slamming a few of these 40 ozs. expect a colossal headache the next morning.

1.76/5  rDev -19.3%

Tis poured a clear bright yellow with a quickly disappearing head of foam.

Cornish notes dominate the nose and overall it has that sweet smell that is typical for the style.

The corn is in the taste and there's some bitterness there but when I finish a sip, I'm left with a rather nasty taste in my mouth.

The body is as thin as one can get and I find it really hard to continue with the session, even without taking the abv in the equation. I'm just glad I'm drinking this *cold*. Not worth a retry....ever!!

2.52/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Man, when you go here, you are in trouble. This is a brutal yellow appearance. Aroma of corn syrup and alcohol.

Taste, much like the aroma is devoid of malt and hops. There's maybe a mild sweet fruity contribution from the yeast.

I mean I can get down with this from time to time, I prefer the 22 or 24 oz tallboys, that shit gets warm 40oz at a time in the summer. Blast some E-40 and Too $hort, get yo' swerve on and shit.

2.13/5  rDev -2.3%

Golden yellow in color, suprisingly thick head with little retention. Scent is pale and meek, some light malt, light sweet corn and metallic notes. Taste again is somewhat clean for style, light sweet malts, sweet corn. Light, fizzy, some lingering warmth. It is what it is, and thats not very good.

1.83/5  rDev -16.1%

In high school and college, I must admit that on more than one occasion that I did indulge in an Olde English 40oz.

Appearance is yellow, clear, and unattractive.

Smell is pointing towards gross, turn your nose away, smells like some alcohol in a science lab.

Taste is bland, watery, and unpleasant.

MF is of some corn, slightly sugary, with a really bad after-taste, without a doubt it is difficult to consume all 40oz, let alone 3 of them in a night, which I have done several times in the past, ahhhh the good old days.

1.75/5  rDev -19.7%

Yellow in color with a head that lingers. Aroma is strong and sweet, somewhat corny. Taste is a bit hard to deal with at first. Not much to the imagination as far as taste goes anyway. Somewhat unsettling and bland on the tongue. Alcohol is not well hidden. Overall, not very drinkable. I'll take another bottle of Private Stock over this.

2.63/5  rDev +20.6%

Punishment hour. This bottle says 8% ABV.

Pours a clear amber/golden, fluffy white head forms, disappears snap crackle and pop style, some lace spots. Smell is very sweet, corn, alcohol, caramel, citrus, bit of vanilla/floral, not too bad. Taste is very sweet, corny alcohol, iron in the finish, some bitterness, floral aftertaste, but very metallic. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, nice burn on the way down. Was expecting this to be worse, but its drinkable.

1.13/5  rDev -48.2%

The Big Nasty. Don't drink 3 of these in a night, or you'll wake up next to something regretable. Anyways, looks and smells like human liquid waste.

Taste is just alcohol and yellow beer. Mouthfeel, something, rice or corn wallows around. Kinda drinkable once you get a little tipsy and play some Too $hort.

2.47/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – As could be seen from the clear bottle, the brew pours a medium golden color. Upon pouring there is a huge two billowy white head on the top of the brew, which fades very fast to leave a light level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is quite heavy of a stale sweet corn smell mixed with a little bit of breadiness. There are some lighter notes of a musty graininess as well as some light rice smell and a bit of herb.

Taste – The taste begins with a light, but somewhat crisp flavor of corn and a bit of a bready taste. In the beginning the taste is not nearly as sweet as the nose would have suggested. The taste does however end up gaining more sweetness as the flavor advances. A sweet corn and a little bit of caramel develop more potency as the flavor moves on. While it sweetness it also gains some more musty grain and papery tastes as the flavor advances. In the end a light lemon flavor joins the profile leaving a corny and musty flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer was thin and slightly watery with a carbonation level that was on the slightly higher side. The thin body and the higher carbonation are very nice for the style making it a quick and easy drinker.

Overall – An alright malt, but not the best out there. It is a bit on the crisper side for a malt, so if that is what your going for then this is a decent choice.

1.94/5  rDev -11%

Drinkable....at least to me....pours a golden color with a white head that laces the glas impressively....nose is weak and corny....body is medium and nicely carbonated...it almost has to be to keep this from becoming oversweet...flavor is your basic cooked corn and some vodka like alcohol on the finish...not great stuff but I could drink it if I was hanging in the hood or something with my boyz..

Overall, I don't think I would purchase this one when looking for a malt liquor but my "flashback" tour of the malt liqours of my younger days is barely getting started...I give colt 45 a slight edge on this one...very slight though..

2.16/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

24 oz can into a Nonic. 08179 on bottom of can. Meh.

A - Clear straw yellow with bubbles going up to a fizzy yet well-maintained stark white head. Good retention but no lacing on the glass. Doesn't look half bad.

S - Cooked corn and fresh, dry straw populates the aroma. A light sweetness pairs with an incredibly light peach-like fruitiness.

T - Strong flavor of roasted corn and dry straw with a minimal fruitiness that is intertwined with the sweetness.

M - Slick and watery, this light-bodied malt beverage has a crisp feel with a sweet aftertaste and goes down with a moderate carbonation bite.

D - I don't understand the appeal of malt liquors. ABV and cheap price I suppose, however, it fails completely in flavor and drinkability. Well, not completely, but it's not good.
[I poured it out in favor of opening something else GOOD to rate.]

2.12/5  rDev -2.8%

40oz bottle

Pretty much looks like urine. Clear dark yellow liquid with a big fluffy white head resting on top. Here we go!

Metallic corn and alcohol in the nose. Hints of sweetness as well with an slight funkiness.

Alcohol and corn with some slight skunky notes. Slightly smooth (I guess) and bitter. Fairly nondescript in flavor, which is a good thing for this sort of beer. Finishes with some lingering metallic notes and warmth.

Lighter medium body, decent carbonation, lingering on the tongue. This isn't good, but considering how awful some other malt liquors are, I didn't completely hate drinking it.

2.6/5  rDev +19.3%

What am I doing with this bottle? Where--where the hell am I? Where's my pants? Shit. Shit!

This is how you get DOWN. This is royalty, man. For those of us poor enough to even consider drinking malt liquor but can somehow afford the extra 50 cents to buy this instead of King Cobra it is a certain sign of classiness. It's like, even though I am illiterate and collect cans for a living at least I can still afford a Starter jacket. Yeah. At least I got that going for me.

Where are my PANTS? How the hell can I or anybody make it in this world without any pants on? Gonna have to peel off the label, I guess. Stick it against my junk and hope that people think I'm making a fashion statement. Can't tell if this is the 7% version or the 5.9% version, neither. I don't matter. What matters is the statement.

Dark gold with no head. Adjunct to adjunct, dust to dust. Like corn and water and a bit of ethanol. Really no off nodes but nothing nice about it, either. Tastes like it smells. Even at the end of the bottle, when it's getting dangerously warm, it's still drinkable.

2.58/5  rDev +18.3%

OE - used to drink it in fo-tays but now I think this tall boy can will be quite enough. Pours a clear, medium yellow color with a fluffy white head that fades really quick and only leaves a slight sheen behind.

Sweet malty nose, but nothing really offensive. Maybe a bit of metallic graininess. Actually smells pretty fresh.

Taste is pretty full-bodied and malty sweet. Hops are basically undetectable and carbonation level is fairly high. Hides the ABV well when cold...once it warms up though, all bets are off with this beer. It doesnt taste like a whole lot, but it is not unpleasant. Gimmie a foty of this and I'll play some bones.

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.