Olde English 800 | Miller Brewing Co.

awful
awful
Read the review
Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

Ratings: 1,039 |  Reviews: 311
1.73/5  rDev -21%

Presentation: 40 oz clean glass twist off bottle, no freshness date. Says it is brewed by Olde English 800 Brewing Company but this is a Miller product.

Appearance: Clear yellowish golden colour with a wispy white lace that has a hard time staying around. Looks like beer that has been sitting out for a while.

Smell: Grainy with a cooked corn grit aroma, slightly metallic and not too pleasing. Light whiff of alcohol also.

Taste: Abrasively crisp, carbonation is high with a slick moderate body. Big grainy flavour bursts from an astringent character, big twang of used up hop that throws down a sharp bitterness with no flavour at all. Metallic and cooked corn runs amuck with a nearly cloying sweetness. Mild clean fume of alcohol warms the throat and body, astringent flavours ride far into the finish.

Notes: Yikes! This is some harsh stuff, it is more than a chore to swill down 40 ounces of this. Many names have been given to this brew but “Ghetto Juice” sticks the most. This seems to be one of the worst but one of the most talked about malt liquors … celebrities that drink this style of beer usually drink this. Go figure?

2.15/5  rDev -1.8%

What can you sayabout good old Ole E? Me adn a few buddies decided to down one for old times sake. Didn't pour it as how could you, this one has to be drank out of the brown bag for sure. Looks and smelled pretty much like urine. Not cool and I don't know how I drank soo much of this when I was younger. Ok so maybe the smell had the slightest moldy grain hint to it. The taste was ughh, Wow I really don't know how I used to pund this, I guess it was just the times. Overall I will never being going back to this one again. It was fun a long time ago, but now just painful. LOL, it was fun though and a good throwback.

2.03/5  rDev -7.3%

A: The pour is a golden color with an initially voluminous white head.

S: A bit of skunk, apple juice, corn, and a touch of alcohol.

T: Initially bland followed by some overly sweet corn syrup, apple juice, and more corn and alcohol.

M: A bit of a light body with a moderate carbonation.

D: Not as bad as some of the other malt liquors out there, but I wouldn't want to take the fawty to the face.

1.78/5  rDev -18.7%

I did not care from this out of a CAN a couple of years ago, but it still elicits amusing memories for me from my misspent youth. I might have dared a full 40 were it not for my local also having 22's for sale.

I got a little better than a finger of fizzy bone-white head that seemed to be falling as fast as I could pour, ending with a bunch of wisps. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. In fact, this kind of thing is the gold standard for clarity. Nose was candy sweet, like bubble gum and even some fusel alcohol. Ugh. A 22 may be more than enough for this old man. Mouthfeel was medium with a sugary sweetness in the mouth. I imagine that if you took a bag of sugar and stirred it into a liquid medium until it became saturated, this would be what it would taste like. The finish was fairly dry with a burning sensation going down. Man, this is evil. I was intimidated by such things as a kid, but now I am just disgusted.

1.75/5  rDev -20.1%

2.53/5  rDev +15.5%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

The sixth entry in Swill Tour 2010. I'm really not sure why the 800 is in quotes, nor do I know to what it refers. Possibly the 800 lives it has already claimed (pour some to the curb...or, as we believe, down the drain in remembrance). It pours a clear pale straw (deeper than the AALs we've had so far) topped by an ample coif of white foam. The nose is corny, but less so than light AALs. Not much else there, honestly. I wish I could say more. The taste is liquefied Corn Flakes mixed with the tears of the masses. Mike referred to it as sorrow and corn. What calamity hath befallen this corn. The body is a sorta heavy light, with a light moderate carbonation and a badly crisp feel. This is indeed booty sweat, Mike.

2.25/5  rDev +2.7%

1.03/5  rDev -53%

All 40 ounces preserved in it's classic presentation, Olde E is a legendary beer. Yeah, right this beer is ghetto swill in all it's glory. Made famous by Run DMC in eighties, this beer pours a golden similar to apple juice hue. Pours with a thick foamy head that cloys around the rim of my mug, with a decent head retention. Aroma is straight up unpleasant, all cereal grains with an astringent slightly cooked vegetable scent. From the smell you would think this stuff could take of some layers of paint from the wall. Taste is highly carbonated watery yet acoholic harsh bitter nasty ass taste. Not a slow sipper chug this and bypass the palate, this beer is for getting folded. I really can't tolerate this one but it's a favorite of my friends. So, in closing there is no question this is one shitty beer. Watch out for the hangovers this beer is known to cause, in my opinion steer clear.

3.08/5  rDev +40.6%

Small amount poured into a juice glass for head and aroma. The rest was drank from the elegant 40 oz bottle.

A - gold with a short-lived, bubbly layer of white head

S - warm, grainy, sweet

T - warm, grainy, corn, sweet, faintly bitter

M - crisp, light to medium bodied

For the style it isn't awful. I've had worse. The style usually isn't for taste. With that being said this is pretty drinkable. It wouldn't be hard to make this disappear and get a cheap buzz.

2.26/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours straw yellow with a white head that has decent retention. Some thin lacing sticks.

The smell is of corn oil, slight grain and a hint of alcohol.

The taste is pretty empty. Some corn, a touch of husk. It is on the sweet side, with an abrupt finish. The alcohol is on the mild side for the style.

The feel is watery, but astringent.

It's not "terrible", but it is certainly not good. It is rather weak for the style. It's pretty drinkable, considering. It's a sweet-ish, rather bland, cheap Malt Liquor.

1.25/5  rDev -42.9%

1.5/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

1.38/5  rDev -37%

I've just had a couple of lambic brews in a row, and it occurred to me what a fool I am, for I haven't seen anyone wearing any trucker hats with the Lindemans logo on it, or seen any cool hipster struttin' down the avenue in a Hanssen's hoodie...though, I have seen both of those done with OE 800 gear! I'll never be fly being a Belgian beer guy, I can only get fresh if I'm down with the malt likka crew, right? ...right?
Well, let's see if I can do it. Got the 40, but it's not in a bag, so I lose points, and I'm going to pour it into a glass, so now I'm really screwed...Anyway...crackle goes the crown, color's the pale yellow that matches faded urine, I know it's cliched to say, but it's also true as it gets, with a big, puffy bone-white head that collapses assuredly down...nice while it lasts, though.
Aroma: soft and spare, cushy, grainy, slightly citric and strawish, nothing horrible, but nothing, nonetheless.
Taste: water. Grain-inflected water, slightly sweet, but, barely anything, with a cereal grit in the mouthfeel, if it can claim any at all. There are traces of malt in the taste, minor at best, and nothing else, this is a shadow of a beer, a whisper, a phantom, but one that has a trick up it's sleeve, like all the best of this variety. Oh, yeah, no bothersome flavor, but extra-boozy, that's why they drink this ...and only a few tastes in, I can feel the hurt and the headache beginning to gather forces on my mind, and I wonder whether this exercise in masochistic research is worth it at all (the bottle was a gift, as a joke, and the punchline arrived as soon as I announced I was drinking it), and I'm sure it's not...Time to send this swill down the drain and save my brain. There's a nice doppelbock calling my name, once I wash the taste of this garbage from my mouth.

1.82/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.12/5  rDev -48.9%

It's fitting that the picture of this beer on the site is of an empty bottle, because you should never go near this liquid. If you want to live, that is.

I could buy a case of this shit for like 18 bucks at the gas station at my college, which I did a few times.

It's yellow, like urine. I didn't pour it out, because it was taped to my wrists. I would've looked like a dumbass if I had poured it out. Because I didn't look stupid with them taped to my wrists, obviously.

Smells kinda like corn, but mostly like sweat.

Unless you have an iron stomach, you can't drink this beer fast enough, which means it will unfortunately warm up. Might as well end your life. This beer is utterly ATROCIOUS as it warms up- tastes like stale cereal that's been left in muddy ditch that a homeless person with Lupus just peed in. Oh dear lord.

I guess it's light bodied, wasn't really paying attention. It seems well carbonated. Not even a little bit drinkable.

When you stare into the abyss, sometimes the abyss stares back into you. Or something.

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

2.82/5  rDev +28.8%

Bad beer Thursdays 2011, episode 3 -- Olde E!

Beer is yellow and clear with a nice soft white head and aggressive carbonation, head leaves lacing on the glass. Beer is totally clear. Looks like beer.

Aroma is light and weak with some pilsner sweetness. Eh...it's definitely not informative as an aroma.

Beer is cold....cold is a flavor right? Yeah, yeah it is. Beer is cold, grainy aftertaste, late acid astringency forward mild pilsner flavor. Beer is medium in body and I've definitely had worse, much much worse. I think it's the charcoal filtering that makes this beer superior to its peers. Beer is back heavy with little going on in the front but I should be able to finish this bottle.

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.