Olde English 800 | Miller Brewing Co.

Read the review
Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States

Style: American Malt Liquor

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

Reviews: 305 | Ratings: 1,020

Appearance – This one poured a nice, slightly hazy yellow with some decent head retention. Not bad.

Smell – The aroma isn’t bad. The grain is not as harsh as in most other macro efforts, and there’s actually a bit of hops in there somewhere.

Taste – Oh, this is bad. Much worse than it smelled. The little bit of smoothness from the nose is completely gone, and the cheap sweetness is repulsive.

Mouthfeel – A little bigger than light-bodied but fairly flat and not dry at all.

Sinkability – No wonder folks are shootin’ up the hood. I’d be getting’ my gat too if I had to walk around with a 40 of this in my hand all day.

Comments – The ABV has when up almost one and a half points from when this ale was added to the site (it’s now at 7.5%). I guess the quicker you go numb the easier this is to drink.

1.46/5  rDev -33%

A friend just walked in the door yielding a full piss yellow 40 oz. bottle, and poured me a glass into my Boulevard tulip. Bottle reads best by May 20, 2013.

A - Semi-aggressive pour yielded about a finger and half of head that receded quicker than I would have imagined. Extremely clear yellow water appearance.

S - Smells of chemically treated malts and corn husk, with some dust. Giving off the basic standard Miller vibe.

T - This is definitely a macrobrew. Definitely a Miller product. Thicker and heavier than the usual Miller Lite, Miller Genuine Draft, etc. But no where near as carbonated, I will give it credit for that. Does it make it taste any better? Not at all. Typical malt liquor flavor. Chemically treated malts and corn husks, again.

M - Thin and watery, no real lingering flavor of any kind aside from the dusty chemical malt. I think I'm just going to say I'm glad none of the "flavors" really stick around.

In all, I can't think of a single good reason to go ahead and buy one of these, especially in a 40 oz. My friend who brought it didn't even buy it, it was given to him for free. I guess drink it if you've got it.

Miller Brewing Olde English 800---1.5/5

2.21/5  rDev +1.4%

24oz can
Served in a pint glass

A - It pours a clear golden color. It had two inches of white head for about 3.6 seconds.

S - It smells like sweet malt and grass.

T - I get grain and grass. That's about it.

M - It's damn near water.

O - It brings the urban experience to my country home.

3.63/5  rDev +66.5%

Well, Olde English 800 is one of the mildest malt liquors available, and has a relatively low (5.9%) alcohol level. It has a thick, white head, lots of lacing, and higher-than-usual carbonation (for this genre). Aroma is faint, but very grainy (corn). Appearance is yellow and clear. The taste is more American-style lager than the harsh, cloying presentation one usually encounters with the malt liquor style (and which appeals to me). Mouth feel is heavy and filling. Overall, I really like OE 800, and it is a classic. NOTE: only drink this out of the can as the clear bottle allows light to cause spoilage.

1.54/5  rDev -29.4%

Ok it had been years since I had this. It was what i drank when I first came to America and lived in a crappy part of metro-Atlanta called Hapeville..in a roach infested condo. Me and the wife had no money so the $5 i was allowed to spend on beer went on "40s" of this.
This time bought in the 24 oz can.
Poured into my pint glass ( weird eh?Malt liquor in a glass)..its actually not bad looking for a Malt Liquor..nice goldens with a large pure white head..leaves some lacing.
Things go drastically downhill with the "aroma"..stench more like it!,,horrible chemical like..the malts seem sick.
The taste ,even as chilled as I have this is mostly faintlly malty then horrible astringent at the end..I can only imagine this will get even more revolting as it warms.
KInd a rough mouthfeel.
Man Im happy I dont have to live in a roach condominium and drink this any more..at least though its better than Camo.

2.18/5  rDev 0%

Drinking this one to get the style rate and for no other reason. I consumed tons of this stuff in high school. We would buy 64 ouncers and two would plow me for the night.

Here's to Old Time's sake.

A: Pours a clear yellow with a white fizzy head. No retention or lace.

S: Very corn like, chemicals, and cheap malt sweetness.

T: A bit bitter up front. Corny grainy malt sweetness in the middle. Doughy bready finish with a bit more cheap grassy hops.

M: Medium in body, fizzy, okay carbonation.

D: Nah, I remember the days that I drank this every weekend. Boy have I come a long way.

2.08/5  rDev -4.6%

I know, I know, I should be drinking this out of a 40 oz. bottle in a paper bag, whatever. I did that when I was a young college drunk but now I'm older and I drink my OE from stemware.

Pours a medium straw yellow with a fizzy, almost white head. Nose is nutrasweet over cornflakes, with a slight metallic twang, and no detectable hop bitterness. Taste starts with faintly sweet cereal malt, with a burgeoning powdery smarties candy edge. Light cardboard throughout and minimal hop bitterness and flavor. Slightly sweet in the finish. Not poisonous, but I remember why I stopped drinking this stuff!

1.34/5  rDev -38.5%

First off a skunk aroma with strong adjunct. Not much to like in that.
Extremely clear. Big full white head. Golden yellow.
Quotes from the gallery that shared this.
"Tastes better than it smells"
"Not as bad as I thought or remembered"
From the song Ballad of Larry "Prozac for the poor"
"Tastes like when my neighbor hits a skunk with a combine"
No hop flavor and bitterness to cut sweetness only. A little dryness.
Water thin and ample carbonation.
A lark we had it, only a lark would make it return.

2.58/5  rDev +18.3%

I've never liked this one much and last week I bought a 16oz can to confirm that I still didn't think much of it and to give a truer review of this beer.

it looks ok in a glass, orange/amber little white head... I'm used to seeing this in a 40, so I am truly amazed.

it "stanks" the way I always remember this "stank".

it tastes the same too... kinda nasty, homes.

it goes down without causing any gag reaction.

I'm done with this stuff, B...

it's all yours!

1.92/5  rDev -11.9%

I got this as a joke, since I'm the "beer guy". Welp, jokes on them, here's the review!

Hey! The big ol' 2X4 can with the $1.19 sticker on it produces a decent pour into the Bitburger pilsner glass - clear straw with a surprising eggshell white foamy head, thick sheet of lace.

Corny husks in the aroma, just not much there. Now for the quaff. Ton's of corn, bits of veggies, all backed with a metallic finish. No alcohol burn or taste.

Not to good of a beer, and surely not something I would get again, but overall a malt liquor that I was able to finish. But finish it before it warms at all.

1.38/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Forget it... I don't care how many times this beer is mentioned in rap songs... Wouldn't drink this brew again if it was the only alcoholic drink offered at a party... actually ended up getting pretty nauseous after downing a 40 of this back in college... A lot of alcohol for your buck at 7.50% for a $1.99... Appearance is below mediocore and the smell is awful... not trying to sound like a beer snob, but those with class would avoid a hefty malt liquor like this unless for some reason you are a fan of this particular style... Mouthfeel was less than awful and the only upside of this brew is that once you made it past half the bottle, the other half goes down a bit easier...

2.83/5  rDev +29.8%

I have wanted to sample Olde English "800" for quite some time. Friends who grew up in the inner city swear by this beer, so my curiosity was piqued.

Pours a medium gold color with a quite modest head. A pint glass will contain the contents of a properly poured 16 oz can with little overflow, so the head is pretty limited. Lots of lively carbonation, but not much lace. Strong aroma of cooked grain and alcohol. Taste is a bit rough, the heavy carbonation provides a stinging bite at the opening, followed by grain flavors, then a shift towards a subdued malty sweetness and moderately bitter hops. Alcohol presence is strong, quite potent and warming. This beer is best consumed quite cold. Lots of uncouth charm; if you want to hang with St. Inebrius, two or three 800's should do the trick.

Thanks for providing this sample, Johnny-Boy.

2.31/5  rDev +6%

Another malt liquor for my out of the mystery beer machine. This one was slightly better than the Steel Reserve but not much. I actually wasn't even aware that this was made in 12oz cans. I thought it was only available in 40s. Not a bad beer, but I don't think I could drink too many of them in one sitting. Good if you want to get messed up, but not if you want to enjoy a beer.

2.93/5  rDev +34.4%

40 ounce bottle from a local liquor store

Poured a light brown color into my frosted glass with a thick soapy head

Smell is a little strong, but not as bad as other malt liquors

Could drink a lot of this, not too heavy, but high in alcohol, so must beware

Good malt liquor for the buck

1.94/5  rDev -11%

Extremely clear body that is a bright shade of yellow with a few lazy carbonation bubbles noticeable. Stark white head of about one finger disappates, not leaving anything behind.

A very sweet aroma comes through, not all that pleasant. The expected corn odor that is expected.

Taste is very sweet, extremely sweet, and corny tasting. The corn flavor is stronger in this beer than I have found it in most others. There is a very slight, very musty malt profile in there somewhere too. Also a bit of alchohol in the finish.

Light bodied with medium carbonation. Not something I choose to have in my mouthe for any longer than possible though.

Two things I would give OE: you can probably pound them without too much trouble, and it would certainly get you drunk. I've tried and reviewed a couple of malt liquors and been surprised that they aren't that bad. OE is not one of those, it is just as bad as I remember the last time I tasted it. Even when reaching for a malt liquor, try to avoid this one I'd say.

1.94/5  rDev -11%

Pale yellow. Little to no head or carbonation, just a bit of bubblin'.

Cheap drunk for a college student. Pennies for the ABV. Bit of a stale bread taste, some malt...heavy alcohol after-taste. Not good, at all, but gets the job done. Really nothing pleasant, or particularly unpleasant, about it.

1.74/5  rDev -20.2%

Yeah baby. The first malt liquor I ever tasted. Light yellow. Non-offensive, well hidden alcohol aroma with hints of corn and pear. Yes, its full of corn and it’s fairly grainy, but there isn’t really anything in this that makes it intolerable. No off flavors whatsoever. I’ll be honest, I finished all forty ounces and I’m proud of it. This was much better than the Keystone Light that I had later in the evening.

2.07/5  rDev -5%

Ultra-carbonated, like soda, goldish hue, translucent, slim white head that collapsed rather fast, no lace… no trace of any existence. Grainy, husky, sweet, corny, foul nose… it is quite a deterrent. I still took a sip, sweet palate… rather odd, soothing but grainy, no hops influence. Clean, bland with only some alcohol present at the finish. The carbonation adds something to the mouthfeel, thin, indifferent. I’ve had worst malt liquors; still it is nothing I could in good conscience recommend… skip it.

22 oz. clear bottle. Purchased for $1.09.

2.85/5  rDev +30.7%

This is decent malt liquor to me, another that's better than some and worse than some. The main fault of this one to me is that it is rather boring, pleasant, but with a totally one-dimensional sweet corn character. It's main forte is that it is inoffensive and actually pleasant, if a bit too sweet.

Pale gold (but not straw or pale yellow), it has a huge off-white head that steadily shrinks to a lasting wispy top and ring, leaving no lace.

The smell is meaty-fruity grain with white grape juice and raisins. It's fairly nice with a mellow alcoholic charcter.

The taste is alcoholic but very smoothly so, with a strong taste of sweet corn and musky white grape juice. The corn is like what I imagine fermented corn bread might be like, rather than having a strong corn chip or corn tortilla taste (like Red Dog, Colt 45 or Aldaris Luksus), or fresh corn (like Pabst). It is very soft, smooth, a bit oily, and a bit flat in character and feel. It's in fact too soft and smooth and comes across as flat with almost nothing but the cornbread and musyk white grape juice. It lacks almost any real "beer" taste or bite and seems like someone took more complex, interesting malt liquor like Rainier Ale and thinned it with white grape juice mixed with a little grain alcohol.

Overall, it's drinkable, kind of enjoyable, and inoffensive, but totally one-dimensional, and tasting of sweet cornbread. It lacks the balance, character, and mild complexity of something like Schlitz High Gravity "Very Smooth Lager," yet to me this seems pretty much the quintessential malt liquor.

2.29/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Drank from the 32 OZ bottle (without the paper bag). Aroma- not a pleasant aroma, mostly stale corn and wet grass. Appearance- crystal light golden color with lots of carbonation. Taste- really! It is made to impair and not to impress your taste buds. Overall- this is not a good beer and it isn't even a good malt liquor. Colt 45, Magnum and Private Stock are a lot better than this.

2.96/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Out of a mutha-F-ing forty this beer was a gold color with good clarity. My aggressive pour created a three-finger white head that displayed pretty good retention that eventually became a thin collar that left good lacing. The aroma was of macro-grains, something like wet cardboard, a little musty malt and pale malt. The flavors were actually pretty good for a malt liquor. Macro grains, some sweet malt, a little pale malt and some stale notes too. Touches of bitterness did appear at the end but it was not really hoppy, crisp or defined. The mouthfeel was a little oily and rough, the body was medium and the carbonation prickly. Yes, it was a malt liquor so it could only be so good, but straight up, I was down with it.

1.75/5  rDev -19.7%

I drank it straight from the 40 oz. bullet bottle. Dark yellow color, that has a sizable white head, evn in the bottle. Taste is very sweet and full of adjunct flavor. Some presence of alcohol, but not that much. With most beer in this price and ABV range, this stuff is meant to give you a cheap buzz. It does that, but it doesn't taste good.

1.06/5  rDev -51.4%

One taste is enough for this beast. It has an aroma of old malt and bad alcohol. There are some sour yeast smells as well. It has a dirty river color and not much head. It appears to be tan though. Body is think and syrupy which leads to poor drinkability. I will probably never again venture back to this stuff.

1.06/5  rDev -51.4%

Reviewed from notes. Drank on 10/22. Split with others.

Straw yellow with a small head with poor retention. Looks very unappealing. Smells of cooked corn and veggies. Why did I agree to have some of this?

Tastes like cooked corn, veggies, and there is a metallic taste which I could do without. This is really bad. Why did I waste my time on this?

High carbonation, harsh to drink, just complete and total swill. Don't waste your time. Stay away from this one.

1.6/5  rDev -26.6%

I was at a party and a friend brought a 40 of Olde E, so I figured that I might as well try some, so I could rate it, and not have to pay for it. It was as clear as they come, no real head, smelt kind of sour.

The taste wasn't as bad as I expected. I've certainly have had worse. But this is just not my kind of beer.

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.