Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Olde English 800 | Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800
2.07/5
Poor
Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

Ratings: 1,052 |  Reviews: 316

1.75/5  rDev -15.5%

2.82/5  rDev +36.2%

Bad beer Thursdays 2011, episode 3 -- Olde E!

Beer is yellow and clear with a nice soft white head and aggressive carbonation, head leaves lacing on the glass. Beer is totally clear. Looks like beer.

Aroma is light and weak with some pilsner sweetness. Eh...it's definitely not informative as an aroma.

Beer is cold....cold is a flavor right? Yeah, yeah it is. Beer is cold, grainy aftertaste, late acid astringency forward mild pilsner flavor. Beer is medium in body and I've definitely had worse, much much worse. I think it's the charcoal filtering that makes this beer superior to its peers. Beer is back heavy with little going on in the front but I should be able to finish this bottle.

1.84/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Here we go..this is the beer that got me into drinking beer, and projectile vomiting, at the ripe old age of 14. Can’t believe I got a glass of this recently from a “friend.” Some friend.

As the reviewer below me succinctly put it, this looks like urine. Foamy piss in the toilet, which is what it soon becomes. Smells grainy, corny, and boozy. Taste is metallic, with corn underneath, and strong alcohol throughout. Malt is light and fairly sweet. No hops to speak of, just a touch of bitterness. A little bready maybe. Unpleasant for sure. Short finish with a light body, watery, with medium carbonation. At least it doesn’t linger on the palette very long.

Stay away! Strictly for puking teens and alcoholics.

2.35/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from 24oz can into a pint glass. Olde E -- the drink of distinction! I'll confess the last time I had Olde E was more than 10 years ago and I was probably underage at the time. Clearly, it made an impression on me back then.

Appearance: medium gold with no haze and a moderate effervescence, just like a lot of these malt liquors. Head poured a finger of fizzy white foam but, I'm amazed to say, it didn't dissipate instantly. Head stuck around at least twice as long as other malt liquors (so, you know, 30 seconds).

Smell: sweet malt aroma but not as plasticy as some; it's both lower in intensity and a little bit deeper than a lot of malt liquors. Not awful for the style.

Taste: sweetish malt, again with a certain deepness. I can't say that I'm a fan, exactly, but this is not terrible as malt liquors go.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a light fizzy carbonation. Nothing to speak of here.

Overall: I'm hardly a malt liquor connoisseur, but for sub-$2 24oz cans of anything beer-like, you might have a hard time beating Olde E.

2.06/5  rDev -0.5%

1.5/5  rDev -27.5%

1.74/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The final entry in the small contest known as the High-Low Invitational, where I try out a few unusual styles with a wide range of ABV. Bud Ice Light beat out Coors NA for who was fairer in the land, but now comes a malt liquor packing a 7.5 ABV punch standing in the former's way to which brew takes home the prize in this small contest. Inspired by The Game's track "Ol' English" (younger folks might know this), on to the beer:

I poured it out of its 16 ounce can into a pint glass just to see the look. Looks kind of like pale lager, but has a surprising head that holds well. The smell could be more polished; corn fructose, alcoholic, and a bit of husk. Now comes the punishment; there's a corn syrup aroma in the back of the taste, but is mainly dominated by a sharp stab of alcohol and metal. Very painful to consume. I can't imagine drinking this to get drunk. Stay away from flammable objects if you do, as you'll feel the alcoholic fumes go down your throat.

Now to reveal the winner: And the winner is...

Bud Ice Light!

A very exciting meet we had here, recognizing the beer styles untested to most. Hats off to Light Ice, Malt Liquor, and Non-Alcoholic for their participation. Check my previous reviews to see what you missed of this contest. Good night everyone!

2.25/5  rDev +8.7%

2.25/5  rDev +8.7%

2.96/5  rDev +43%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

From the 40 fl. oz. bottle APR2312-005111712. Sampled on December 4, 2011. Good crack on the twist off top. The pour is pale to golden yellow with a real fizzy head that settles down to a ring and leaves clinging lacing in its wake.

Okay I am rating this on the American Malt Liquor style. As far as the style goes the aroma is comfortably malted with corn and grass but it is not terribly obnoxious. The body is thin and typical for the style. A lot of malt liquors make me wince and grind my teeth as I sip them but not this one. It was not half-bad as far as the style goes. There is a sweet grainy character in the taste with a clean hop finish.

Of course this is not a craft. It is what it is, brewed to quench your thirst, accompany dogs and beans, and drown your sorrows. This one is a bit better than the average malt liquor.

1.6/5  rDev -22.7%

I guess I was feeling nostalgic but I had to throw in my 2 cents.
Look, if your'e drinking this then you are planning on getting lit on the cheap or just broke. Hopefully, if it is the former then you are in college, like I used to get down. Of course, I've been on the latter side also and it sucks, much like Old E. The light gold/yellow color is see thru when held up to the light, and the smell is just like rubbing alcohol. While the taste is horrendous, it at least does not contain a bitter aftertaste. Oh, and after slamming a few of these 40 ozs. expect a colossal headache the next morning.

1.69/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

16oz can into a regular kitchen glass and then some, when times are tough you gotta do what you gotta do, Right? Well maybe not..

Eight hundred brang the noise when the can was popped but no beer exploded from the alluminum, thank god, I thought this would be a gusher. Burnt yellow with a tannish outline and no sediment at all. Clear enough to see through the glass. A one inch loose bright white head left no lace and bounced quickly.

"You'll never get out of this maze." 800 smells like a corn field. While that is the main scent a big malt presense is also up there, well duh, it's a malt liquor Barry. The malts give off a sweet scent, but I would not call it the usual caramel. No alcohol detected in the scent which I was actually expecting.

Corn husks and sweet malt, that pretty much sums up the taste of this popular ML. Upon sipping this, I was taken back in time about 15 years ago when I was a little badass and drinking 40's of this stuff with the village posse. No hops at all, do they even use hops in this? Is this even beer? Well yes it is, in theory, but also in theory, communism works!

The feel is a bit lighter than medium while the crispness of the carbonation is not as high as I remembered. It goes down pretty easy but in no way is this a easy beer to drink. Not big on a lasting aftertaste and the alcohol is surprisingly well hidden. I could only take small sips of this, I mean orca small. If I took bigger sips of this I would throw it up. The only reason I did not give this a F is because it did not make me sick afterwards.

I don't know how some people can stomach this stuff, different strokes for different folks I guess.

2.63/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear light gold color.

Smell is a bananas and corn smell, with an alcohol scent.

Taste is sweet with lots of corn in the taste, not real good, but not real bad either. The can is superior to the clear glass bottle version. Has an alcohol flavor.

Mouthfeel is actually thickish.

Drinkability? This stuff was the lowest of the low back when I was in College. It isn't great but even swill like this beats the regular macro stuff.

2.52/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Man, when you go here, you are in trouble. This is a brutal yellow appearance. Aroma of corn syrup and alcohol.

Taste, much like the aroma is devoid of malt and hops. There's maybe a mild sweet fruity contribution from the yeast.

I mean I can get down with this from time to time, I prefer the 22 or 24 oz tallboys, that shit gets warm 40oz at a time in the summer. Blast some E-40 and Too $hort, get yo' swerve on and shit.

1.76/5  rDev -15%

Tis poured a clear bright yellow with a quickly disappearing head of foam.

Cornish notes dominate the nose and overall it has that sweet smell that is typical for the style.

The corn is in the taste and there's some bitterness there but when I finish a sip, I'm left with a rather nasty taste in my mouth.

The body is as thin as one can get and I find it really hard to continue with the session, even without taking the abv in the equation. I'm just glad I'm drinking this *cold*. Not worth a retry....ever!!

1.83/5  rDev -11.6%

In high school and college, I must admit that on more than one occasion that I did indulge in an Olde English 40oz.

Appearance is yellow, clear, and unattractive.

Smell is pointing towards gross, turn your nose away, smells like some alcohol in a science lab.

Taste is bland, watery, and unpleasant.

MF is of some corn, slightly sugary, with a really bad after-taste, without a doubt it is difficult to consume all 40oz, let alone 3 of them in a night, which I have done several times in the past, ahhhh the good old days.

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 2.07 out of 5 with 1,052 ratings