Olde English 800 High Gravity | Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800 High GravityOlde English 800 High Gravity

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

Reviews by BedetheVenerable:
2.74/5  rDev +26.3%

Presentation: 24oz can; scary looking, truth be told

Appearance: Dark gold/straw colored beer, low CO2, thin white cap actually is pretty sticky

Smell: Surprisingly neutral; light, dirty/sweet corn/adjunct aromas, not much else

Taste: OHHH so very sweet. Like, cloying. One of the sweetest Malt Liquors I've had I think. Almost candy-like. Light metallic notes as well. A touch of burning alcohol on the finish, shocker.

Mouthfeel: Actually pretty full, smooth, and round

Drinkability: 1 can after two other beers (earlier) is gonna get me buzzed I think, but the sweetness means I could never have more than one of these (even if I wanted to)

Conclusion: We were having crappy beer night tonight as a joke. My wife bought Bud Light Golden Wheat and I bought OE as a joke 'cos I'd never had it and I'm doing my M.A. on medieval England. Not terrible, but not something I'd get again either. Better than Steel.

1.75/5  rDev -19.4%

2.31/5  rDev +6.5%

Not bad at all for a "High Gravity" Malt Liquor. It poured a darker gold color than most of this style but with the same fizzy white head that left as quickly as it came. The smell was adjunct all the way with a very grainy, earthy scent that was not too pleasent. The taste was better than expected. The sweet malt dominated the flavor with a bit of grain flavor and an underlying aftertaste of alchohol. Better than Steele Reserve any day...but then again that isn't saying much!

2.29/5  rDev +5.5%

Drank 3 40s of this as a young guy and can vouch for its dominating almost Hullicegenic effects. This is pure gasoline with hints of adjunct grains to make your head spin. A bold heavy highly carbonated mouthfeel to let you know that nitro glycerin is about to put every cell into a hyperbolic overdrive. Buckle up and hope you wake up with minimal bleeding.

1.31/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Awful. Slightly worse than ordinary OE 800. Unless I'm just wanting to get drunk really quick, and can't stomach the notion of cheap fortified wine, I steer clear of this one.

1.5/5  rDev -30.9%

2.64/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A - Pours a golden yellow with a one finger head that retreats to a good lace throughout.

S - Fruity with some grain.

T - Tangy with a fruitiness with some slight grain/hop taste.

M - A little on the syrupy side with a decent bite.

O - Considering the price and the 8% ABV this is not a bad beer. Granted, it must be served and consumed ice cold.

1.39/5  rDev -35.9%

24oz can, jam jar for a drinking vessel, and I forgot to look for freshness dating (as if it matters).

The color of a dehydrated human's urine, dark apple juice. Rather a nice whitish head, better than some macro lagers, that fades to a ring in a minute.

Sweet with apple juice notes. Industrial chemicals, corn.

Sweet, very processed apple juice, preservatives out the ying-yang. Creamed corn, a sour, almost hoppy twinge on the finish fading into a continually objectionable and chemical laden aftertastes. You know there is 8% abv too.

Fizzy and light, though with more body than macro lagers.

None, I can't stand the manufactured and treated flavor. It isn't refreshing and it warms the belly, firewater in the truest sense.

Since I already consumed the KBS I had wanted to be my 100th review, I thought a gag (literally) review would be funny. Joke's on me, my 100th review ended up being my first drain pour.

3.3/5  rDev +52.1%

There's nothing like pouring yourself an Imperial pint from a 40 of HG800! It just doesn't seem normal - and yet, it gives a much better appearance from a glass than a paper bag! But all kidding aside, this is not a bad malt liquor. This is the original, with an actual 8% alcohol by volume; and it's much better than their lower alcohol version.

The body is a clear yellow when held to the light, but appears more amber in the glass. It's creamy, bright white head holds surprisingly well for a beer with so much alcohol; and it slowly drops to a thin surface covering, leaving some nice lace at the outset. Sweet, very lightly grainy malt greets you in the nose with a very delicate fruitiness. It's quite clean. It's medium-bordering-on-full bodied with a fine carbonation that's lightly effervescent and gently caresses the tongue. Crisp yet smooth. The flavor delivers a lightly grainy maltiness that's somewhat surprising as most examples as so obviously adjunct laden, and it's sweetness is tempered more by its alcohol than its low-key bitterness. It finishes drying despite its sweet malt with a wash of drying alcohol and dull bitterness - although some malt does linger. Overall, it's a surprisingly clean and well-made malt liquor that probably deserves a little more respect than it gets.

1.25/5  rDev -42.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

3.25/5  rDev +49.8%

1.04/5  rDev -52.1%

3.15/5  rDev +45.2%

Poured from a clear 40 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very malty. Taste is a combination of malts, corn, and alcohol. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a decent brew as far as malt liquors go.

2.87/5  rDev +32.3%

From the 40 oz. bottle marked AUG3109-DO5111908. Sampled on December 15, 2009. After looking at earlier reviews I was expecting the worst. But quite frankly, I did not think this was as bad as all that. The pour was a hazy pale yellow with a generous supply of fizzy head. The aroma was of mild malts and hops with almost no noticeable alcohol, which tends to be common in these high gravity beers. The taste was a bit tart and pungent but not offensive. This is not the kind of beer I would buy regularly but for the purposes of this review, it was tolerable.

1.56/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

24 oz can. Wow, I’m surprised this got even this high. I was expecting bottom of the barrel stuff, but it’s not as bad as some other beers I’ve so far rated. Actually poured a nice head. Aroma is of corn. Tastes metallic. All in all, pretty horrible, but not as bad as I was expecting. Now, where’s my paper bag?

2.18/5  rDev +0.5%

As far as I am concerned, this is the best 40 available. That's not necessarily the highest praise, but on occassion, when cash is tight, a 40 is a nice option. This is not nearly as common as its non-high gravity cousin, in fact, I usually have a hard time finding it. The beer is a dark golden color, when consumed out of the bottle, some head is stirred up. The smell is somewhat unpleasant, it is reminiscent of burnt vegetables. The taste is slightly astringent, but it goes down smooth enough, in fact, I think it has a unique and fairly pleasant flavor. As far as drinkability goes, the alcohol definitely starts to get to you, and if you take your time finishing it, the warm remnants become extremely unpleasant. Gotta keep this one cold.

1.75/5  rDev -19.4%

2.5/5  rDev +15.2%

3.64/5  rDev +67.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear deep golden with three fingers of white head lasting about ten minutes. Sheets of fine bubble lace.
Smell is malts grain bin and a hint of grape skin.
Taste is grain bin malts with just mere bump of grassy hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. Finish is slightly wet and a bit sweet.
Overall I normally get the 7.5% version but I thought I would rate this version as well. It is better than I expected for this type of strong lager.

1.06/5  rDev -51.2%

Wow, only a 40 of OE can give me a hangover. Not good. Have a glass of water nearby.
A - Like SR it does look like beer.
S - Oh no, if they had a -5 this is where it would rank.
T - Worse than Steel Reserve. That's pretty bad.
M - Not good. I guess the taste has a lot to do with the mouthfeel with this beer.
D - Bad. Of course once you're drunk it all tastes good until the morning.
Drunkablility - Way too high. +10

1.5/5  rDev -30.9%

Olde English 800 High Gravity from Miller Brewing Co.