Mickey's Ice | Miller Brewing Co.

Mickey's IceMickey's Ice

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-14-2002

1.75/5  rDev -26.8%

3.51/5  rDev +46.9%

40 oz. bottle consumed on the corner of 6th and Fairmount from within a brown paper bag. Only the top of the green glass bottle and the black screw-cap are visible.... only kidding!
It pours a clear yellow body with a rocky bright white head that holds surprisingly well, and leaves some very nice lace throughout the glass. The nose expresses a clean, lightly sweet, and somewhat grainy malt. The body is firm and it's lightly crisp upfront, but becomes creamier as it crosses the palate. The flavor is a well-balanced combination of lightly grainy semi-sweet malt and an underlying hop bitterness (no flavor or aroma is involved). The alcohol is well-cloaked throughout (of course it's only 5.8%abv), and it finishes surprisingly dry. There's obviously a good deal of adjunct involved here (noting the lack of grainy flavor), but it's smooth and refreshing. On the other hand, it doesn't deliver the richer malt taste that's expected of the style.

2.53/5  rDev +5.9%

I had this as a Want for a while until my local, in-person trader, tone77, came through like a champ! More precisely, I wanted it in the CAN for The CANQuest (tm), my ongoing attempt to drink & review every CANned beer in existence. Today is M, 14 March 2016.

From the CAN: "Ice Brewed Ale". Hmmm.

It was a pleasantly loud Crack! & so I CANducted an inverted Glug until the foaming action got a tad out of CANtrol. Backing off, I watched as it quickly reduced from two-plus fizzy, foamy fingers of bone-white head to just one and then it evinced good retention. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like we were getting the silage prepared to slop the pigs! Rancid, crappy corn and lots of it, thrown into a silo to rot, ferment & turn into a slush fit only for the hogs. Now, don't get me wrong. I like Fritos Corn Chips, I enjoy corn chowder, I look forward to fresh corn on the cob & corn bread & shrimp 'n' grits is one of my favorite southern meals. That said, I do NOT like corn as an adjunct in my beer! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste hearkened back to the early days of The CANQuest (tm), when just about EVERY beer in a CAN was an AAL. Ugh. I get that corn is a cheap way to extend the malt bill, but the imparted taste is not like any corn that I prefer to put in my maw. Cooked, sweet and unfit for human CANsumption pretty much sums it up. Finish was sweet, but do not mistake it for sweet corn, which is good. This was lousy.

This is currently on my "Wants" list and it will remain there because I want it in a CAN. I am trying to bump up my bottle numbers to (at least) 400 so that I may re-dedicate myself to The CANQuest (TM) without the feeling of guilt that I seem to be experiencing lately. Guilt, hah!

I will say this for the AALs - they are pretty. I got a solid finger of rocky, bone-white head with good retention from my pour. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. Just beautiful to look at and a razzberry to Greg Koch and his "Fizzy yellow beer is for sissies" act. I am a visual guy as evidence by my Film Studies certificate and my lifelong love of reading. I like to look and watch and I will not apologize for it. Nose smelled like the interior of a silo at the end of the season - fermented corn sweetness overlaying a grapey quality. Ooof. I wonder if high fructose corn syrup might have been one of the adjuncts used in its production. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a fairly innocuous lager sweetness in the mouth. It really was not as bad as the nose led me to expect. I have had MUCH worse, believe me. Finish was slightly dry and still pretty bland, overall. Call that damning with faint praise.

2.31/5  rDev -3.3%

"Ice Ice Baby!"

--Robert Matthew Van Winkle (a.k.a. Vanilla Ice)

What better day to do Macro Smackdown XIII, a head to head beatdown between two ice beers, than a day that is... let's see... 0 degrees with a -18 wind chill. I have no idea what an 'ice beer' is or how it differs from any other macro lager. A little more alcohol is the only difference as far as I can tell. Let's see how they stack up.

Mickey's Ice is pale amber, which is still a shade darker than the extremely pale amber of Keystone. The cap is an attractive shade of off-white, not dingy in the least, and is much nicer looking on this beer. It has a creamy, sticky texture and is laying down a surprising amount of lace. I'm surprised and pleased.

The nose is on the mildly pleasant side; considering the style of course. It's grain-like with a modest whiff of musky hoppiness. It's also wildly different from the nose on the other beer. I like this one better.

This is simple beer. It's also inoffensive beer, which puts it well ahead of most macro lagers. The flavor profile consists of barley malt, and at least one adjunct I'll bet, as well as the same musky hops noted in the nose. For some reason, I don't like it as well as I thought I would (relatively speaking) after having smelled it. No worries Miller, I just drank a mouthful of Keystone Ice and the MacSmack XIII crown is yours in a runaway.

The mouthfeel is light without being overly watery and holds up fairly well throughout the mouthful. The carbonation is neither too much, nor too little. A fat lot of good that does when the beer isn't otherwise pleasing in the mouth. Finally, a dead heat.

Mickey's Ice is okay beer. I'm always pleased when I find an AML that's drinkable. Not that I'd ever buy it again, but it's always nice to know in case the pickings are especially slim. Even though it's far from wonderful, it had no difficulty slapping the snot out of its impressively nasty competitor. Mickey's is further proof that, as far as I'm concerned, 'M' is the clear superior of both 'B' and 'C' when it comes to beer of this general style.

3.21/5  rDev +34.3%

Poured from a green 40 oz. bottle. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of corn and malts. Taste is just like it smells, malts and corn. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a mediocre beer.

2.57/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 24oz tall can into a pint glass. The hornet on the can indicates to me that Mickey's Ice has got the same sting as original Mickey's!

Appearance: light yellow hue with a haze-free body and a robust effervescence. Head pours two thick fingers and actually displays a little bit of retention! In addition to that, a pretty thick lace is left on the glass! For the style, it's actually not bad. A little surprise from ol' Mickey!

Smell: overly sweet aroma with equal parts malt and plastic. Not the best thing in the world; certainly not the worst. This is back inside the realm of expectation.

Taste: malty, grainy and sweet. A bit sticky and not particularly to my taste, but at least this seems natural and not particularly chemical-y. Not great but could be a lot worse.

Mouthfeel: light body with a somewhat light carbonation. A little bit bubbly and refreshing, but not enough substance here to be really creamy.

Overall: while this beer is actually quite flavorful for the style, it doesn't display the best the style has to offer. It is, however, better than you might think from the label, and offers a reasonable beer experience within its market.

2.06/5  rDev -13.8%

This pours from 22oz bottle(best by 06 18 07) a very lively and clear medium gold with a smallish head of foam. That soon shrinks to an island in the middle with a little lacing.

The smell has that typical big brewery nose to it. Sweet malt, maybe a bit of corn.

The taste has a mix of sweet malt, corn and some harsh hop bitterness that starts in the background and ends up in the finish...not a very good aftertaste with this one but thankfully, it's not long lasting. Right about midway through, the flavours really fall flat and it becomes very watery in body. I like the regular Mickey's more....I can't recommend this at all.

1.62/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

You have to respect the dedication of a brewery to try and make Mickey's even shittier, but they just might have succeeded in this quest, intentional or not. A slightly darker yellow, unattractive nonetheless, almost no head formed. Aroma is a hot alcohol amount seemingly in the 10% range, but no, this is sub 6% apparently?

Taste is all alcohol and bitter twang resulting from long boil high alpha acid hops and almost no malt bill. The mouthfeel might be the worst part as it just seems like it gets warm quick and even more oppressive with each drink. Corn and corn syrup all over this one.

2.25/5  rDev -5.9%

2.61/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from 40 into pint glass

Appearance - Pours a medium golden color with a billowy head that fades quite fast. With the head dissipating there is actually quite a surprising amount of lacing on this brew.

Smell - The aroma is very light. There is the slightest bit of corn with an ever so slightly caramel aroma present; very weak overall.

Taste - The taste starts out very sweet; corn and a little bit of caramel (just as the nose suggested). At the very end of the flavor there is an ever so light hoppy and sweet flavor on the tongue. They are very light (very light) and mainly toffee and citrus in nature. It would be quite pleasant, but unfortunately there is a rather unpleasant stale aftertaste that is left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a very moderate level of carbonation. It is slightly more creamy feeling then would be expected, but still very appropriate.

Overall - Slightly beer in some regards then the standard malt, but in some way worse. Not bad, but really not good either.

1.2/5  rDev -49.8%

The beer that got Chuck Liddell knocked out. A darker yellow than expected, no head, lacing, seriously why bother? Aroma is of alcohol and a bit of dumpster when collectors are on strike.

Hot, hot alcohol head in this one. Horrible aftertaste. I really can't hang with this one. Gets warm and gets even worse. It's cheap I guess, it has that going for it. Blech.

3.5/5  rDev +46.4%

3.18/5  rDev +33.1%

Appearance – Light, hazy yellow with some good carbonation and a decent head that left a little lacing. This doesn’t look half bad.

Smell – Yes, it’s grain and alcohol, but the grain smells kind of smooth and I’d swear there was a hop or two in there.

Taste – Not bad, actually. Not good, but the grain isn’t offensive and is smooth. The finish is cheap candy sugar but it is not raunchy like most malt liquors.

Mouthfeel – I felt that this was the ale’s strong point. The overall smoothness, big(ger) body (not medium but well better than most other MLs), and somewhat dry character made this bearable.

Drinkability – One of the few MLs that will stay out of my sink. Good job, Miller.

3.73/5  rDev +56.1%

Mickey’s Ice Brewed Ale has a very thick, white head and a clear, yellow-golden appearance with lots of bubbles streaming up, and a good amount of lacing left behind. The aroma is faint, but one detects clean water and undifferentiated grains. Taste is a round beer flavor, with a surprisingly sharp hop bitterness at the mid to back end of the sip. Mouthfeel is medium and Mickey’s Ice Brewed Ale finishes crisp, clean, relatively crisp, and quite smooth. Overall, this is a winner for malt liquor.

RJT

3.1/5  rDev +29.7%

Bought in the green 22 ozer.."Ice Brewed Ale"
Not too bad of an appearance for a malt liquor ..nice solid golden honey with a nice sized white head which persists.
again I was surprised that this actually smelled acceptable..mostly sweet maltiness.
Im quite impressed by the taste of this..its like a subdued pilsner..quite malty and with a tiny hop kick..but for a Malt liquor the maltiness is tasty.
Let down in the mouthfeel however..very sticky and cloying.
This is a big surprise ..better than regular Mickeys and must be one of the best malt liquors out there.

look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

2.25/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.23/5  rDev -6.7%

mark thanks for killing me with this one.

A: Pours a clear pale yellow with a tall foamy head. Good retention, moving on.

S: Aromas of corn, bread, and crackers. Very grainy.

T: a corny watery fizzy mess of a concoction.

M: Light fizzy meh.

D: About as drinkable as a horrible beer can be.

2.75/5  rDev +15.1%

2.5/5  rDev +4.6%

Mickey's Ice from Miller Brewing Co.