Mickey's Ice | Miller Brewing Co.

poor

2.75/5  rDev +9.1%

1.25/5  rDev -50.4%

2.61/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from 40 into pint glass

Appearance - Pours a medium golden color with a billowy head that fades quite fast. With the head dissipating there is actually quite a surprising amount of lacing on this brew.

Smell - The aroma is very light. There is the slightest bit of corn with an ever so slightly caramel aroma present; very weak overall.

Taste - The taste starts out very sweet; corn and a little bit of caramel (just as the nose suggested). At the very end of the flavor there is an ever so light hoppy and sweet flavor on the tongue. They are very light (very light) and mainly toffee and citrus in nature. It would be quite pleasant, but unfortunately there is a rather unpleasant stale aftertaste that is left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a very moderate level of carbonation. It is slightly more creamy feeling then would be expected, but still very appropriate.

Overall - Slightly beer in some regards then the standard malt, but in some way worse. Not bad, but really not good either.

1.5/5  rDev -40.5%

2.21/5  rDev -12.3%

I bought a 40oz of Mickey's ICE last night. When I first opened the bottled I was over whelmed with a very strong skunky smell almost overwhelming. It poured into a nice golden color. The taste was a little less "yeasty" than the regular mickeys which was surprising to me. Overall its was ok. What I didnt like about it was it gave me the feeling of a hangover after a not drinking for about an hour.

3.73/5  rDev +48%

Mickey’s Ice Brewed Ale has a very thick, white head and a clear, yellow-golden appearance with lots of bubbles streaming up, and a good amount of lacing left behind. The aroma is faint, but one detects clean water and undifferentiated grains. Taste is a round beer flavor, with a surprisingly sharp hop bitterness at the mid to back end of the sip. Mouthfeel is medium and Mickey’s Ice Brewed Ale finishes crisp, clean, relatively crisp, and quite smooth. Overall, this is a winner for malt liquor.

RJT

2.53/5  rDev +0.4%

I had this as a Want for a while until my local, in-person trader, tone77, came through like a champ! More precisely, I wanted it in the CAN for The CANQuest (tm), my ongoing attempt to drink & review every CANned beer in existence. Today is M, 14 March 2016.

From the CAN: "Ice Brewed Ale". Hmmm.

It was a pleasantly loud Crack! & so I CANducted an inverted Glug until the foaming action got a tad out of CANtrol. Backing off, I watched as it quickly reduced from two-plus fizzy, foamy fingers of bone-white head to just one and then it evinced good retention. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like we were getting the silage prepared to slop the pigs! Rancid, crappy corn and lots of it, thrown into a silo to rot, ferment & turn into a slush fit only for the hogs. Now, don't get me wrong. I like Fritos Corn Chips, I enjoy corn chowder, I look forward to fresh corn on the cob & corn bread & shrimp 'n' grits is one of my favorite southern meals. That said, I do NOT like corn as an adjunct in my beer! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste hearkened back to the early days of The CANQuest (tm), when just about EVERY beer in a CAN was an AAL. Ugh. I get that corn is a cheap way to extend the malt bill, but the imparted taste is not like any corn that I prefer to put in my maw. Cooked, sweet and unfit for human CANsumption pretty much sums it up. Finish was sweet, but do not mistake it for sweet corn, which is good. This was lousy.

This is currently on my "Wants" list and it will remain there because I want it in a CAN. I am trying to bump up my bottle numbers to (at least) 400 so that I may re-dedicate myself to The CANQuest (TM) without the feeling of guilt that I seem to be experiencing lately. Guilt, hah!

I will say this for the AALs - they are pretty. I got a solid finger of rocky, bone-white head with good retention from my pour. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. Just beautiful to look at and a razzberry to Greg Koch and his "Fizzy yellow beer is for sissies" act. I am a visual guy as evidence by my Film Studies certificate and my lifelong love of reading. I like to look and watch and I will not apologize for it. Nose smelled like the interior of a silo at the end of the season - fermented corn sweetness overlaying a grapey quality. Ooof. I wonder if high fructose corn syrup might have been one of the adjuncts used in its production. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a fairly innocuous lager sweetness in the mouth. It really was not as bad as the nose led me to expect. I have had MUCH worse, believe me. Finish was slightly dry and still pretty bland, overall. Call that damning with faint praise.

1.2/5  rDev -52.4%

The beer that got Chuck Liddell knocked out. A darker yellow than expected, no head, lacing, seriously why bother? Aroma is of alcohol and a bit of dumpster when collectors are on strike.

Hot, hot alcohol head in this one. Horrible aftertaste. I really can't hang with this one. Gets warm and gets even worse. It's cheap I guess, it has that going for it. Blech.

Mickey's Ice from Miller Brewing Co.