Mickey's Ice | Miller Brewing Co.

poor
Mickey's IceMickey's Ice

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-14-2002

3.7/5  rDev +45.1%

Drank from a 32oz bottle.

A: I do not drink this from the glass and never will, I'm guessing a palled yellow.

S: Non-existent, maybe a little corn or roasted malt.

T: A raunchy mix of corn and malts, with a little sugar thrown in to pass through.

M: Wonderful, smooth and like water.

D: It is one of the best. A great choice for malt liquor and something that you need to experience I highly recommend it, even if you're a beer snob and drain pour it. That probably means you've gone to far and need to enjoy the big mac to an filet mignon.

2.23/5  rDev -12.5%

mark thanks for killing me with this one.

A: Pours a clear pale yellow with a tall foamy head. Good retention, moving on.

S: Aromas of corn, bread, and crackers. Very grainy.

T: a corny watery fizzy mess of a concoction.

M: Light fizzy meh.

D: About as drinkable as a horrible beer can be.

1.5/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I guess is the sheer volume of micky's was enough this iced beer should do the trick. god, why have I set out on the bad beer pilgrimage?! let me go back to my sweet belgians and my robust stouts! I have a hard time distinguishing between all this garbage: head? yeah, considering im pouring this directly down into a glass. body? this this is ephemeral. skip this and go for olde english if your pressed for money.

2.73/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance is a straw color with a quick dissipating crisp head. Smell has a very light adjunct grain to it. Taste is very light for an ice beer again with the adjuct graininess. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. Being watered down it makes for a great warm weather ice beer that will quench with moderate alchohol.

3.21/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured from a green 40 oz. bottle. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of corn and malts. Taste is just like it smells, malts and corn. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a mediocre beer.

3.3/5  rDev +29.4%

A: Crisp Clear Amber
S: Grainy Adjunct hops
T: Light lagery
M: light with a small amount of carbonation

Mickey's Ice is okay beer. I have been drinking this 40 for years. The 40 oz has a big following and i consider myself part of it. You can grab a 32 of this for under 2 dollars, and makes a great sippin, swillin, bulls@#$tin brew.

1.18/5  rDev -53.7%

Quite unenjoyable indeed. Pours a clear yellow with a weak white head. Nose has corn, rice and hop extract. Taste isn't much better. Quite bitter with some old grassy flavors. Thin body is hard to drink. I may have to say this is worst than the original Mickey's.

2.08/5  rDev -18.4%

Mickey's ice? Ice brewed ale stated on label. 5.8% alcohol.

A- Poured in to a long pilsner glass that ended in a junk load of foam that was like an aggravated soda in a can. Mild straw yellow similar to others of this nature.

S- Very light corn , barley , and metal.

T- The same as smell just even more obvious metallic tastes with light corn hints, but for a ice Adjunct beer I could handle one of these on a warm day.

M-D- Mouthfeel upfront is a mildly carbonated burst with a slightly slick oil feeling on the tongue after inital drink.

So so but not the worst by far, but far from the best... cheers

rev. 07/22/11

2.23/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a clear, pale golden yellow. Very little head, but what head is there is white. Suprisingly it smells like malt liquor. A lot of cereal grains in the aroma and taste. Also a very metallic taste. Average texture, not thin or chewy. Taste was not pleasant and not recommended for a session beer.

2.61/5  rDev +2.4%

24 ounce can from a 7-11 near my apartment

Poured into a frosted mug

Like most ice beers, i did not find this better than the regular brew

They call it a lager, but I did not really taste that, more of a malt liquor like its predecessor

Taste was not that great, but it did last long

Packs a punch, so amoderate amount can be drank

3.35/5  rDev +31.4%

Your everyday run of the mill brew. Normal pale yellow coloring,good taste with just a pinch of sweetness.Nothing bad to say,although this taste duplicates that of a lot of domestic beers.It's probably worth try there's just nothing special about it that will jump out at you.

2.06/5  rDev -19.2%

This pours from 22oz bottle(best by 06 18 07) a very lively and clear medium gold with a smallish head of foam. That soon shrinks to an island in the middle with a little lacing.

The smell has that typical big brewery nose to it. Sweet malt, maybe a bit of corn.

The taste has a mix of sweet malt, corn and some harsh hop bitterness that starts in the background and ends up in the finish...not a very good aftertaste with this one but thankfully, it's not long lasting. Right about midway through, the flavours really fall flat and it becomes very watery in body. I like the regular Mickey's more....I can't recommend this at all.

2.3/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

bought a single 16 oz can on a whim

poured in to a pint glass, yellow gold color with a medium white head, fair amount of lacing.

smells like malt and corn

tatse isn't horrible, can't taste the alcohol and taste some malts.

again, not horrible, but it doesn't really make me want more.

I'm not a big fan of ice beers and I won't buy this again.

3.13/5  rDev +22.7%

Mickey’s Ice from a 16 oz can.

Beer pours a light yellow with a fairly massive and dense head. Not a bad looker.

The smell is of adjuncts/grains. Smells like an amped up High Life with all that corn. Still no foul or off odors.

Taste is sweet and grainy. Slight, almost metallic bitterness late. Not much else springs to mind. Nothing harsh and the 5.8% is well integrated as I don't pick up any alcohol. Maybe my expectations were low, but this was better than expected.

The beer has aggressive carbonation. This works well with the beer and compensates for a slightly thin mouth.

Drinkable for what it is. I would have another.

2.31/5  rDev -9.4%

"Ice Ice Baby!"

--Robert Matthew Van Winkle (a.k.a. Vanilla Ice)

What better day to do Macro Smackdown XIII, a head to head beatdown between two ice beers, than a day that is... let's see... 0 degrees with a -18 wind chill. I have no idea what an 'ice beer' is or how it differs from any other macro lager. A little more alcohol is the only difference as far as I can tell. Let's see how they stack up.

Mickey's Ice is pale amber, which is still a shade darker than the extremely pale amber of Keystone. The cap is an attractive shade of off-white, not dingy in the least, and is much nicer looking on this beer. It has a creamy, sticky texture and is laying down a surprising amount of lace. I'm surprised and pleased.

The nose is on the mildly pleasant side; considering the style of course. It's grain-like with a modest whiff of musky hoppiness. It's also wildly different from the nose on the other beer. I like this one better.

This is simple beer. It's also inoffensive beer, which puts it well ahead of most macro lagers. The flavor profile consists of barley malt, and at least one adjunct I'll bet, as well as the same musky hops noted in the nose. For some reason, I don't like it as well as I thought I would (relatively speaking) after having smelled it. No worries Miller, I just drank a mouthful of Keystone Ice and the MacSmack XIII crown is yours in a runaway.

The mouthfeel is light without being overly watery and holds up fairly well throughout the mouthful. The carbonation is neither too much, nor too little. A fat lot of good that does when the beer isn't otherwise pleasing in the mouth. Finally, a dead heat.

Mickey's Ice is okay beer. I'm always pleased when I find an AML that's drinkable. Not that I'd ever buy it again, but it's always nice to know in case the pickings are especially slim. Even though it's far from wonderful, it had no difficulty slapping the snot out of its impressively nasty competitor. Mickey's is further proof that, as far as I'm concerned, 'M' is the clear superior of both 'B' and 'C' when it comes to beer of this general style.

2.48/5  rDev -2.7%

Mickey's Ice pours a typical macro yellow with a white head from a green thirty two ounce bottle. Nasty smell, adjunct dominated by corn. Taste is a bit on the sweet side, dominated by adjunct flavors. Okay as far as this type of beer goes, but not worth going out of your way for.

3.02/5  rDev +18.4%

Medium-pale gold with a small, white, foamy head that diminished to a light film within a minute or two of being poured. Smells of weak grain and lots of corn. Hardly any detectable hops. More of the same in the taste, with a little apple. It has a medium-light body, lightly oily texture and moderate-low carbonation. Of course this beer isn’t very good, but when you’re slumming it, you can do a lot worse than this. Not terrible and not offensive, a rarety among ultra-cheapos.

2.53/5  rDev -0.8%

I really don't know what this ice brewed ale on bottle is all about when BA list it as a macro lager and all of you call it a malt liquor...anyway I digress. As it turns out this was not as bad as I was expecting, but not saying it was good either. Pours yellow in color and very heavily carbonated. Sweet malt , corn and vegetable like grassy celery was my impresstion on the taste. I did taste a hint of alcohol at finish. I really would not of been able to drink more that the 40 oz I had.

1.36/5  rDev -46.7%

Looks promising in a sort of ugly way. Not horrible, but still fizzy and yellow.

Smell is, umm... I thinnk wet barn describes it as acurately as possible. Hay and Corn mixed with horse.

Tastes like a barn too!! Put some corn syrup on a horse, lick it off, and VOILA! Mickey's Ice. Left a weird syrupy coating on my tongue. It was all I could to to choke it down, even cold it was awful...

3.12/5  rDev +22.4%

Listed as an "Ice Brewed Ale" on the bottle, for what it's worth. I drank it straight from the 40 bottle. Really not too bad, when compared with other 40's. Taste is fiarly non-offensive, and skunk free. Does have a taste of adjuncts, which the alcohol goes a long way to cover up. I did wake up with a hangover the morning after a couple of these, but overall they are good for the price.

3.18/5  rDev +24.7%

Appearance – Light, hazy yellow with some good carbonation and a decent head that left a little lacing. This doesn’t look half bad.

Smell – Yes, it’s grain and alcohol, but the grain smells kind of smooth and I’d swear there was a hop or two in there.

Taste – Not bad, actually. Not good, but the grain isn’t offensive and is smooth. The finish is cheap candy sugar but it is not raunchy like most malt liquors.

Mouthfeel – I felt that this was the ale’s strong point. The overall smoothness, big(ger) body (not medium but well better than most other MLs), and somewhat dry character made this bearable.

Drinkability – One of the few MLs that will stay out of my sink. Good job, Miller.

3.1/5  rDev +21.6%

Bought in the green 22 ozer.."Ice Brewed Ale"
Not too bad of an appearance for a malt liquor ..nice solid golden honey with a nice sized white head which persists.
again I was surprised that this actually smelled acceptable..mostly sweet maltiness.
Im quite impressed by the taste of this..its like a subdued pilsner..quite malty and with a tiny hop kick..but for a Malt liquor the maltiness is tasty.
Let down in the mouthfeel however..very sticky and cloying.
This is a big surprise ..better than regular Mickeys and must be one of the best malt liquors out there.

2.39/5  rDev -6.3%

Cheap and alcoholic. Exactly what I need to watch the Red Sox on TV...

Visually, it's your generic straw yellow. Remarkable number of small bubbles, and a decent head. Still, nothing too impressive.

As for the smell....this stuff reeks. Odd sort of muted skunky cheap beer smell. Hints of something that may or may not be corn. One of the more unappealing scents I've come across lately.

Luckily, it rather lacks taste altogether. A strange and unexpected creaminess adds quite a bit to the drinkability. The mouthfeel on this one is strangely pleasent, considering the scent on it.

One of the best cheap beers I've ever picked up. That's not saying much, but I think I'd take this over most of the other "beer for bums" swill out there. Shockingly drinkable.

2.53/5  rDev -0.8%

This beer will always have a place in my heart since this is what my friends and I would pay bums outside the liquer store to get for us! My best friend and I were recently low on cash and decided to get a coulple of 40's of this swill and now I know why I stopped drinking it. It tastes allright at first, but as it rolls down your tounge it has one of the nasty-est aftertastes I have ever experienced in my life! I think next time we are going for cheep beer, we will go for regular Mickey's or Bud Ice.

3.51/5  rDev +37.6%

40 oz. bottle consumed on the corner of 6th and Fairmount from within a brown paper bag. Only the top of the green glass bottle and the black screw-cap are visible.... only kidding!
It pours a clear yellow body with a rocky bright white head that holds surprisingly well, and leaves some very nice lace throughout the glass. The nose expresses a clean, lightly sweet, and somewhat grainy malt. The body is firm and it's lightly crisp upfront, but becomes creamier as it crosses the palate. The flavor is a well-balanced combination of lightly grainy semi-sweet malt and an underlying hop bitterness (no flavor or aroma is involved). The alcohol is well-cloaked throughout (of course it's only 5.8%abv), and it finishes surprisingly dry. There's obviously a good deal of adjunct involved here (noting the lack of grainy flavor), but it's smooth and refreshing. On the other hand, it doesn't deliver the richer malt taste that's expected of the style.

Mickey's Ice from Miller Brewing Co.