Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life
2.7/5
Poor
Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Miller High Life, also known as the Champagne of Beers, is a quintessentially classic, American-style lager. In 1903, Frederick Miller created Miller High Life because he believed that the good life, the High Life, should be accessible to everyone, not just the upper crust. To this day, Miller High Life continues to be faithfully brewed as a golden pilsner, utilizing light-stable galena hops from the Pacific Northwest and a select combination of malted barley.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 1,221 | Ratings: 4,003
4.94/5  rDev +83%

Ahh MHL. This stuff is the best. Slight corn and grain taste. No need to pour in a glass , just grab one and twist the top off and enjoy. Goes great with any food, especially BBQ or tacos. Great for hanging out at the river, lake or backyard. After a day of busting ass at work a MHL is so satisfying. The Golden Nectar of the Gods. Oh yeah, damn good price too.

3.04/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Best by 8/5/19

Pours a crystal clear deep gold body with virtually no head formation beyond the slight white cap which fades quickly to a light but frothy collar; a healthy smattering of spotty, thin lacing is thrown around the walls of the glass.

Aromas of crisp straw and light corn sweetness are apparent upfront, with a mild barnyard hay showing with further nosing; grassy hops toward the back end ‘pop’ a bit and contribute a nicely structured depth.

Taste is mildly sweet with corn and grain along with a certain toasty malt note; zippy hops again make an appearance to add a grassy touch to the overall profile.

Mouthfeel is light-bodied with above-average levels of building carbonation resulting in an inconsistent but not overwhelming prickle on the palate; otherwise, relatively dry and crisp with malt on the tongue, leading into a mild but incredibly quenching finish where grassy hops yet again show a spark.

Ever-drinkable with decent, inoffensive flavors and an even temperament across that palate; an effortless AAL that’s about everything I’d want from a ‘macro’.

3.7/5  rDev +37%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Here’s a beer that comes out to be more than the sum of its modest ingredients. Not too much more, but MHL is something special. Sometimes, I don’t want luxurious, full, attention-demanding brews, I just want a cold beer on the porch with my acoustic guitar and a funny cigarette. I don’t pour it into a glass, I crack it open, take a hefty pull and let out an “ahhh” of refreshment.

Also i met the High Life dude at Miller Park in Milwaukee and he’s awesome. Now you’re livin’ the high life, baby!

L: from memory, nothing special except that it has more of a head that traditional macrobrews. Not super long lasting but impressive.

S: yep, that’s beer! Smells like... beer, just beer.

T: refreshing. Subtly sweet, crisp, beersy.

F: comfortably thin. It is what it’s supposed to be and it never disappoints.

O: if there’s nothing interesting available or I just want a refreshing beer on a hot day, or at a jam session after a hot day when we’re all getting a little loose, this is my go-to to refresh, mellow out, and remain competent. There ain’t no fuzzy ropes in the high life!

2.21/5  rDev -18.1%

Ah, the High Life. The ol' stan'by ...24 0z. can poured into glass, for cheap nostalgic kicks and curiosity.
The Uncle Mac, The Byron, the high school beer from 1983 (in 32 oz. glass!), still
LOOKS the same porta-whizz corn-pop gold clear,
AROMA is waaay sweeter in a beer glass! keep it in the can! corny urine sweetness smells
TASTE - corn and grain sweetness, simple, pretty light, sweeter than a Pils should be IMO,
OVERALL, this used to work best when ice cold, with Marlboros of any kind, and before the age of 22 and/or after long hours of hot work. Cheap date for old time sake sometimes, it is what is is, but not what it was....

2.57/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

5/8/19 (Chicago): $5 draft pitcher poured into pint glass at Edison Park Inn. Clear thin blond straw pour, light white head and lacing. Nominal corn aroma and taste. Thin mouthfeel clean crisp drinking, easy drinking. Overall good pour.

3.59/5  rDev +33%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: crystal clear; medium gold in color; 1 finger white head that receded to a wispy cap; very nice lacing;

S: grain, grass, and apple;

T: follows the nose up front; from the middle through the finish, it's like carbonated apple juice; very mild bitterensss at the end;

M: light bodied; moderate carbonation; lightly dry finish;

O: this is beer for people who want to re-live preschool;

3.7/5  rDev +37%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

High Life reminds me of my youth! Hadn't quafed one of these skinny necks since 5th grade. It's a good after-party beer or even the next morning when all the ice chests are almost empty or just filled with bottled water. A diamond in the rough, the champagne of beers is an unexpectedly good hair-of-the-dog, especially if you've never drunk champagne. Even at rodeo warm, it's a welcome relief and will take the edge off.
As an adjunct lager, Miller is just a euphemism for nothing left to lose, and that blue collar freedom, in a pinch, just never disappoints.

2.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

If I'm going to be drinking a cheap, gas station special, American lager, this is my go-to. Don't misunderstand me, this isnt a GREAT beer, its just my preference if Im going down that road or if Im at my grandpa's house and I open his garage fridge only to be submersed in the golden glow of 60 unopened High Life bottles that have been sitting there since Ford was president. Its light and easy to take down. If I were trying to push my limits, I'd imagine that I could probably drink more than 20 of these. Thankfully, I dont foresee that need arising.

1.79/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Shocked that it's taken me this long to try Miller, sadly I can't say I was too impressed. Poured from a 32 oz. can that I picked up at my local HEB. Compared to the other two massive beers that it competes with, (Budweiser and Coors Banquet) I can say that it would be my last pick between the three. It tastes almost buttery with corn and notes of sweat/tears. I can see why some people would like it, but it's definitely not my first pick.

1.79 - D
Poor.

3.55/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not that bad when you are not a beer snob. Slightly sweet, very mild hops. And Damn, it smells like beer. Very refreshing and crushable. As in a few of these won't put you on the floor.

Just saying, there is nothing wrong with an American Adjunct Lager. Now there is an obsolete word if ever there was one Adjunct. Sounds like the 18th century to me, since most every beer on the planet has something other than the Big 4 ingredients. This also pours a head that would make Stormy Danials blush.

Delicious beer pretty even with Yuengling, the winner of the great American lager age.

3.09/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pretty standard mainstream beer. Definitely prefer Miller over Bud and Coors. High Life is nice and love to have a few of these while at a sporting event or a concert. Easy to drink and really not that bad for a non craft beer. Do not understand why it gets so much hate and people over analyze it.

3.43/5  rDev +27%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tried this when my daughter's boyfriend left a couple cans at my house. I know some folks love to hate it just because it's not craft beer, but I think it's pretty damn enjoyable when you just want a straight ahead beer that's easy to drink and doesn't break the wallet. Pours clear golden color with active carbonation and a good head. Lot's of lacing down the glass to the end. Yeasty, malty, goes really well with food. I bought more of it, it's really a pretty nice change occasionally from the heavier beers I tend to favor. Despite being a macro, it's a well made and enjoyable beer. Better than some of the craft pilsners I've tried. YMMV

2.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Bought a single can to try because I liked Miller Lite when I tried that and also because there's a They Might Be Giants song that mentions this beer. Being more of a independent brewery beer drinker and an ale lover, I didn't have much expectations for it. I was pleasantly surprised! I even liked it better than BFD which is done by Sierra Nevada, one of my favorite brewers. High Life has a good flavor that isn't watery like most mass produced lagers that definitely showcases more of its malt and adjuncts than any hop profile, but the taste is pretty nice, has a refreshing quality to it, and very drinkable. It would be a beer that if it was on a good sale or I was being conservative with my money this would be a choice to get. Nothing groundbreaking, but definitely better than most of the other macrobrews I've tried. Another plus is that it doesn't have too much of a "cheap beer" smell as I expected. Overall, not a bad drink with a clean finish and a low price.

2.41/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a light amber with a lasting, thin skin of froth. There is a faint sweet hop aroma. The carbination is medium. Up front the flavor is surprisingly interesting. A sweet malt taste with hints of hop and only a touch of graininess. The probelms with this brew are all on the down beat. There is a strong astringent and metallic aftertaste that takes this lager from pretty good to hard to drink.

3.78/5  rDev +40%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

One of my go to adjunct lagers. I think it gets a bad rap from craft lovers who are all about the IPAs, which is fine )I love me some craft beers, not IPAs though), there is a time and a place for all beers. This is just a really good lager that is easily crushable, easily sippable, and tastes great ice cold after a hot sauna. There's no shame in appreciating something that is just a pleasure to drink and not have to think about it.

3.59/5  rDev +33%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Poured into pilsner glass, light golden straw in color, a solid cap of bubbly white foam on top, sporadic lacing.

Aroma: Grassy, corn heavy, cereal-like.

Taste: White bread sweetness, corn, very subtle grassy hop bitterness and light, biscuity malt towards the finish.

Feel: Light bodied, tons of tiny crisp bubbles, bone dry. The gold standard for adjunct lagers in my opinion.

Overall: Even with adjuncts thrown in I still find this enjoyable. Wonder bread in a bottle.

Along with Stroh's, the beer I was weaned on. I always much preferred Stroh's (RIP old friend). Another beer I have not had in over 3 decades, and if I live for another 3 I won't drink it then either. I never really like it, overall poor ranking. I have to take back my previous comments. This beer is a shit ton better than I gave it credit for. Rates a 3 across the board. It is an good example of what beers is this type ate supposed to be. How many beers can you say you drank 40 years ago and still can quaff?

3.05/5  rDev +13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Looks like a normal ass beer. Smells like what you would expect for the item you purchased. Tastes way better than most cheap ass shitty beers. And it feels like nothing worth telling ur momma about.

This is the beer you buy for nostalgias sake. It may be the beer you drank the night you lost your virginity. Or maybe the beer you drank the first night you went camping alone with your friends. All in all, it's a great beer to revisit in a 6pack and reminisce

1.18/5  rDev -56.3%

Classic drain pour. I’ve always instinctually stayed away from this, even in my youth. My instincts served me well. 2 sips and dumped it in the bushes
A freebie for an errand from the fridge. Awful stuff. Compared to bud, bud truly is the king of beers. And bud sucks

1.78/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

12/21/2018

Bottle to snifter. Picked up 2-6 packs of ponies just to have these around.

LOOK: yellow, white head, fades, good retention. 2.5
AROMA: rice, grass, skunky vegetables. Kind of rancid. 1.25.
TASTE: rice, cereal, hint of sweetness. 2.0
FEEL: slightly below average carbonation, thin feel, watery. 1.75

OA: Simple mass produced beer. Better than Budweiser for what that is worth.

3.12/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass, "Best By" date "FEB1819".

APPEARANCE: pours a clear, light golden color with one-finger white head that slowly dissipated until a thin, unbroken layer of small bubbles remained, there is heavy lacing on the glass, medium carbonation.

SMELL: bread, sweet sugar and corn husk, faint to the nose.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet sugar and bread then corn, the hops are extremely faint.

PALATE: light body and medium carbonation.

OVERALL: this is a classic lawnmower beer, one of the first beers I ever had with my buddies in high school during my misspent youth, I did not really care what it tasted like, it was beer and I was not allowed to have it, stay in school kids!

2.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pretty much a watery, but fortunately bubbly, lightweight beer. Easy enough to drink, but yeah. There are plenty of better lightweight beers out there. 2017/12/20

2.8/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Look: Pale, golden, clear lacklustre colour
Low density head that disappears in seconds
Intense carbonation when first poured that quickly dissipates into nothing

Smell: Faint Malty, metallic

Taste: Slight Metallic, watery not much body or flavour, grain, bread, very faint sweetness as beer warms up

Feel: Watery with almost no body

Overall: Very light tasting beer that is extremely easy to drink. If your looking for something to drink a lot of in a short period of time this is a good choice. Not a bad beer for what its trying to be which is a smooth easy drinking beer. Better head retention and density is an area of improvement for this beer.

2.55/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Perfectly fine AAL. Tastes like grain, not overly sweet for the style nor is it particularly hoppy. Cheap and drinkable, better than bud and most other beers of the style.

2.5/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bad bottle choice Because clear glasses skunk faster, but what do I know. I am tasting some mild corn, a little watery, faint hops. Beer Advocate says that a C score is poor but I think a C score is fair & not poor, but that's just my opinion. Cheers! C

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 2.7 out of 5 with 4,003 ratings