Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Alströms:

Ratings: 3,758 |  Reviews: 1,152
Reviews by GatorGirl:

3.8/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Has craft brewing ruined the party? Check out the legendary "Bros" rating. 80. Yup 80. Why? How could they? Is it because Miller High Life is, was, and always will be the best party beer on the market? You can bet your only can of "Heady Topper" it is. Try drinking 12 cans of Heady Topper. I guarantee you will puke. Not so with High Life. Light, crisp, slight hop taste with a wet finish. Easily put away 12 of these babies with no sickness or bloated feeling. No headache. High Life deserves more credit. It taught us all how to drink beers.

3.29/5  rDev +22.3%

Miller High Life, the Champagne of Beers! Yee Haw. I feel like a dirty hippie tonight.

Serving Style : 24 oz liquor mart can complete with the homeless brown bag, poured into a fiesta ware glass for appearance (how's THAT for a contrast?)

Appearance (3.5) : Soapy, sudsy white head that's easily penetrable and recedes like the revolting blob. Bubbles grace the bottom surface of the head, much like Champagne would! Pale golden color with medium transparency.

Smell (2.5) : Dirty corn, grass and straw, hay, wheat, adjunct. Touch of orange at the tip. Dirty underwear. A pretty dirty smell.

Taste (3.5) : Straight out of the can it's heavenly. The best $1.49 beer you can get. If you're down on your luck and you just want to pass out, look no further. If you want to enjoy it, it's good for that too. Out of the glass it's refreshing and light bodied with a full bore creamed corn flavor profile. If you liquidized creamed corn and added some alcohol you'd be close. Other flavors I'm getting are some citrusy wheaty zestiness, hint of pepper. Not bad. Not bad at all...

The corn beer. Nebraska, eat your heart out!

Mouthfeel (3) : Heavily carbonated, refreshing, light bodied. Like a heavy Sprite with some mild creaminess. The foam even comes up in belches a little bit. This won't win any awards but it sure isn't awful. For its style it's just what it needs to be.

Overall (3.29) : Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. This beer isn't out to compete against crafts, it's meant to be a working man's beer after a long day in the sun. For that purpose it does just fine. High Life is a tasty treat, abundant with corn. If you hate corn or corn-based beers, stay away! Very adjunct-y, mildly sweet, absolute zero bitter. No hops. This is one of my favorite beers because it's so cheap and it's still tasty. Where else can you get an 18 pack of bottles for $10 or a 30 pack of cans for $15? Or a 24 oz. for $1.49 for that matter??? Long live High Life!

3.56/5  rDev +32.3%

12 oz clear twist-off bottle with no freshness date found.

A- Great head retention, I was quite surprised and impressed at the same time. Good clinging action and the pale yellow golden hue donned a perfect clarity.

S- Sharp cooked corn aroma, mild grain husk as well. Clean other than that.

T&M- Solid crispness in a light body. Grainy with a hay like character, mild hop bitterness and a faintness of corn in the back. Clean on the palate with a grand smoothness that make you want to take another sip.

D- Easy to drink with mild flavors and a good wash of crispness. A tasty American Lager. Went excellent with the lamb and steak tips I grilled.

4.06/5  rDev +50.9%

Those that rate this poor should obviously had their taste buds doused in acid. This is a rock solid and go to session beer. Great taste and flavor without weighing you down. Its clearly better than the rainbow lager you're drinking now. Act like you knew \m/

4.75/5  rDev +76.6%

It says it right on the label- the champagne of beer. You get all the effervescence and character of a fine champagne with the drinkability and flavor of a light Pilsner. High enough abv to drink all day, but classy enough to impress a date. High-life truly has it all.

Keep in mind i'm rating this a 5 because i'm new to beer and this is the best out of what i have had. I don't really know what to describe the taste like, just kind of like... corn? sweet. I drink this because i didnt have a job and was not able to buy more expensive things. I have read however this has won the gold medal for best american style lager several times. I think i know why they call this the high life though. It makes you feel like you are living the high life due to the taste and quality for the price. Their advertising campaigns hit the nail on the head. This is a testament to working men and women. I got paid my first paycheck recently and i bought some of this, and i felt like i was drinking in style. This is better quality in my opinion than budweiser and its cheaper. There is a reason it rated highly in american adjunct lagers, as you categorize them on the site. Apparently the Alstrom brothers on this site agree with me. They gave it an 81. I think miller is the best out of the as you guys on the site call them the macro brews. Whether its fishing or a barbeque or fourth of july party this goes good with anything. I love this with a nice Hamburger and steak fries.

3.23/5  rDev +20.1%

I admit that I've got a thing for "Grandpa's Beers." Special X, High Life, Papst, and Old Style all do it for me.

This is one that I always keep around in the fridge. At $9 for a case of bottles, High Life makes the perfect “just in case” beer. It’s like a safety net. I like having it near by, knowing that if my obnoxious cousin comes over I won’t have to offer him a Bell’s or something because trusty Miller is there for the non-beer drinker’s beer drinker. Oh, and this beer is called Miller, just plain Miller, not High Life.

Let’s start with the look. The beer itself is nothing special. It looks like liquid sweet corn. The head is thin, white, and not lasting. Overall, the appearance is what you would expect from just about any macro.

The bottle, however, is a different story all together. It features the famous Miller Girl Over the Moon label, which was created long ago by famed industrial designer Brooks Stevens. Stevens is kind of like the Frank Lloyd Wright of industrial design and is probably most known for the invention of the Oscar Meyer Wiener Mobile.

Anyways, the fact that the bottle has a small but kick ass print that was designed by an awesome Wisconsinite gives it a little appearance bonus in my book.

As to the taste, it’s corn syrup. Nothing more, nothing less.

The mouth feel’s not bad, thin, mildly carbonated, refreshing.

What I really like is this beer’s drinkability. It goes down so easy but doesn’t go through me like lite does. I can throw back a bunch of these and I don’t feel full but I do feel like I’m drinking beer, not water.

This is a solid beer and better than bud by leaps and bounds.

3.5/5  rDev +30.1%

12oz clear bottle wtih classic labeling. No freshness dating, or at least one that is consumer friendly.

Golden hued beer, bright, with a patchy white foam head comprised of mixed bubble sizes. Large bubbled slow carbonation. Lacing has some stick, with a moderate level of head retention.

Ultra-clean nose on this one, faint grain and an even fainter freshly husked corn aroma.

Even, medium bodied brew. Fizzy carbonation. Crisp. Smooth, with a creamy carbonation feel on the palate. Mild steely character in the flavor, some watery malty / creamed corn sweetness that sticks to the palate. Touch of malt husks, corn grits, with a drying edge. Corn flavor gets more pronounced as the beer warms and casts a blandness across the palate. Hop character is nearly non-existent with this tasting. Finishes with some residual dextriny sweetness and corn. Not overly clean, but it passes.

Drink ice cold for maximum enjoyment, but mostly so those corn flavors stay where they should.

4.07/5  rDev +51.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

High Life is for the everyday drinker who enjoys a clean, crisp, quantity - emphasized taste. A man drinks High Life to escape. A man drinks High Life because he's content. A man drinks High Life because he's a dreamer. A man drinks High Life because he's not quite sure of who he is. A man drinks High Life because he knows exactly who he is. Men drink High Life for many reasons, but the take away is that men drink High Life. So keep on moving, keep on drinking, and keep on living the high life.

i love miller high life no matter how many other beers i drink high life has remained my go to no bullshit after work beer some people think price makes a beer better well from what i see the lighter the calories in the beer ,the lower the alcohol content the more fuckin money they want for it and the more i have to drink to get a buzz high life you drink two or three and the party is started

4.77/5  rDev +77.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The champagne of beers. Only drink these in the bottles, I would never buy them in cans. I consider this beer as a treat You cant go wrong with this beer, its cheap and good.

4.28/5  rDev +59.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Look - Poured into pilsner glass. Pale clear straw in color. A finger of bubbly white head, quickly dissolves with no lacing.
Smell - Fresh corn, wonder bread, slight grass
Taste - Corn grits, crisp cracker like malt body, bready sweetness, slight grassy hop bitterness. Dry and clean finish.
Feel - Perfect for the style in my opinion. Light body, loads of carbonation bone dry finish. Thirst quenching.

Overall - My favorite American lager so far. So drinkable and has a a mild yet pleasing flavor. Snobs be damned this is a great beer.

3.2/5  rDev +19%

Nothing wrong with cracking one of these open after a hard day of work.

3.3/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Like the look. Used to drink a lot of this beer back in the day. Had a chance to drink again this past weekend and remembered. That this in not a bad option. Not saying this is the best beer in the world but it's not awful either

Before you can rate Miller High Life, you have to ask yourself a question. "Have you ever worked an honest day in your life?". I'm not talking about working at some organic co-op, comic book shop, or record store. No, I'm talking about swinging an 8 lb hammer for 16 hours in conditions one would compare to the depths of Hell! I'm talking about moving mountains with your bare hands! I'm talking about the kind of work that drove John Henry to his knees! If you can say in all honesty that you've worked that type of day, then by all means, rate away. There's something special about an ice cold Miller High Life after a day of taming the wilderness and pushing your body to its limit. Any MAN worth his salt will tell you there's only 1 score for God's chosen golden elixir, 5.

3.12/5  rDev +16%

Seriously, this is as good and full flavored as an American macro lager gets (the bar is low people). Well made pilsner and adjunct beer. Clean pour, crisp taste, sweet pilsner flavor. While still just "drinking beer" it's not too shabby. Much better than Bud and MGD.

2.26/5  rDev -16%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Miller High Life was the beer that my friends and I drank most often when we were pre-legal. That was a long, long time ago, but I remember it as being less offensive than many of the other macros and it was 'easy drinkin'. I have no doubt that my tastes have changed considerably, but when I saw a 24 oz. can for $1.00 in my local grocery, I just had to buy it. I'll be drinking it at my beer fridge temperature of 50 degrees. It will have to sink or swim on its own and will not benefit unfairly from numb taste buds.

Pale yellow-amber; a shade too dark to be called straw. The head is pure white, small-medium in size after an aggressive pour and actually lasts for a bit. It leaves a little lace to look at as well. The smell is not encouraging (I won't use the word 'nose' here). It's a funky, cooked grain, corn mash smell that does not portend good things for the flavor.

Amazingly, the beer tastes pretty much how I remember it from all those years ago; that doesn't mean that I like it however. The flavor profile is sweet and grainy, deflates quickly and leaves the palate relatively clean. The finish is sour and somewhat dry. The body is unquestionably sub-par, but at least it isn't what I'd call watery.

Miller High Life is not good beer, but it is considerably better than the Bud Light that I had a while back. At least it doesn't make me grimace and look for a suitable place to spit it out. As well, it would have benefitted from being consumed hyper-cold on a stiflingly hot day. Not 'The Champagne of Beers', not by a long shot, but one could do much, much worse.

2.04/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Open weather aging for 2 years on my screened in back porch.

L: Appearance is akin to a high school outcast substituting dirty urine for clean.

S: Smells of long dead hopes and dreams.

T: Taste is hard to nail down. A mix between previously mentioned clean urine and unicorn tears (not in a good way).

F: Water like mouth feel

O: The consistent weathering conditions of two years worth of north east seasons has rendered the champagne of beers devoid of any actual carbonation. I would say the aging process has really mellowed this fine brew.

The champagne of beers, well okay mabye that's pushing it just a bit, but I will say this it's one of the best shittiest beers around. I know that's a contradiction but for the price and being a college student I will live the High Life. Cmon this is a classic beer, hell I even contemplated making it my 100th. It pours a true golden color, already better than budweiser. I will say this is a fizzy golden beer with a highly carbonated get ready to belch foaming head she even leaves somewhat of a decent lace. The aroma is slightly vegetable with a lot of grainy adjunct ridden flow going on here. Not repulsive not complex, it's just beer at it's most simple macro light American lager form. A great crisp sweetness that is balanced by some hop bitterness to form one simple yet classic taste. Miller High Life is a beer worth a try, and when there is other beers attempting to be good around that aren't, I always go back to the High Life because it knows it's not a good beer. Refreshing with a creamy smooth mouthfeel that forms a foamy mustache on me, I love this brew along with the girl on the moon. You can drink this stuff all night it is meant to be swill, and there is no off flavors here or bad hangovers. So, for the style I give it my thumbs up!!!

1.49/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A below average beer, it's relatively cheap for a case of bottles and it pours a medium yellow with a very foamy head. It has a high level of carbonation. It tastes like a watered-down Olde English with a bit less of a malt flavor. not very smooth to drink. It tastes a bit thick with a very strong sour unpleasant aftertaste.

3.9/5  rDev +45%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

I bought this as an attempt to try something new: mission accomplished!

Look: Looks like yellow beer, pleasant golden color.
Smell: It doesn't have a significant smell, but what i can smell (maybe I'm ill, my nose seems clogged up a little) isn't bad.
Taste: This is my favorite part about this beer, it tastes great to me! I particularly love the after-taste. Very mellow, but good.
Feel: Goes down smooth..altogether great feel.

Overall: I am currently enjoying this beer right now, and I will definitely buy one again in the future!

3.75/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Miller High Life has a thick white head and the beer is golden in colour.

The aroma is sweet and there is a graininess that's present, although in a subtle way.

The taste is sweet, grain, some corn notes, too.

The beer is light bodied.

Overall, for the style, this is a good beer. It's great on a hot day. And it pairs well with pretty much anything.

I only wish this beer was available in Canada. We do get Genuine Draft, though.

3.38/5  rDev +25.7%

I had my first High Life with some friends on a front porch.

It's a "front porch beer"... complete with the smell of a bit of cigarette smoke and old wood. PBR is far too metallic in the aftertaste for me. I know it's the hipster-go-to, but honestly, a ton of the session-go-to-day-drinkers fail by being way too heavy on the sugar, and far too heavy on the hops.

High Life is a great, simple beer. Nothing complicated about it. For me, it's the best of the macros, and a ton of craft brewers could learn from its low hop bitterness, and refreshing taste.

I say this as a guy who's been drinking "craft" since Blue Moon was the closest thing to "craft" in my area.

Craft needs to go in a more refreshing direction, but until they do, High Life is my go-to.

Edit: This applies to bottles, only. For some reason, High Life is not that great from a can. Not sure why. Bottles.

2.5/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A good throwback beer. Drinkable & flavorful.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 8.3% out of 100 with 3,758 ratings