Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
good
Read the review
Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Reviews: 1,111 | Ratings: 3,601
1.66/5  rDev -40.9%

Pours a vibrant light golden color and is "crystal clear". A half inch foamy white head forms on the pour. Poor retention and some spotty lace.

The aroma is typical. Some sweet pale malt, kind of bready with no hint of hops.

The taste is pretty terrible. Sweet pale malt, with no definite characteristic. I don't really know what to say, I just know I don't like it.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is low. The flavor is kind of making me sick. Poorly constructed and not enjoyable.

1.67/5  rDev -40.6%

Slight skunky smell, with some gross sweatiness thrown in for good measure. Tastes like a pale lager but with an off taste added. Not good, but I drank most of the bottle. How can you waste the champagne of beers? Boring stale, odd maltiness sums it up. Blech...

1.68/5  rDev -40.2%

Yellow water. Not much of anything her to even speak of. It's a standard mass produced American "beer". The only reason I even opened it is because a friend of mine left one in my fridge, and I don't like to waste beer, not even this one. I'm sure that there is a time and place that this would taste really good, I just don't know when or where it would be.

1.69/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

The "Champagne of Beers" is highly carbonated and tastes awful coming out of a can. Only way I can drink this is from the bottle. Used to get 40 oz. of these in college all the time. There's worse out there believe me.

1.7/5  rDev -39.5%

Horse piss in a bottle. But it's cheap! Reminds me of boxed cereal, on the nose. Grain/wheat flavors on the palate, however below-average to poor in this department. I'm astonished that some people feel this is a quality beer! Would much rather sit back with a quality hefeweizen, even if it's three times as expensive.

1.71/5  rDev -39.1%

A friend of mine had a party recently in which one of her friends brought an entire case of Miller High Life. Since there were several cans remaining at the end of the festivities I asked her for one so I could write a review on it. "The Champagne of Beers", the can says. Well, this doesn't look like champagne and certainly doesn't smell like it. With some trepidation I poured it into an old Yuengling pint glass (the better glasses don't deserve such indignity inflicted on them).

A: Pours an amber golden color (well, at least it has color), with a one-finger bubbly head that quickly dissipates into a white haze at the top. It looks vaguely like a urine sample, not particularly appetizing. The beer actually manages to have a decent amount of lacing.

S: Piss! It really does smell like urine, with a sort of sickly-sweet (corn?) smell coupled with a distinct B.O. undertone and a metallic note. Already I have a bad feeling about this.

T: Ugh! Sickly sweet is right! Cardboard, vegetables, soggy Fritos, copper, pretty much anything but malt and hops. It hits the tongue with some indescribable but distinctly unpleasant funk (is this what gym socks taste like?). As the beer warms up the funk becomes increasingly funky and nasty. Chemical finish.

M: Thin, weak, watery. There's no weight or body to this at all, it's like corn-and-B.O.-flavored soda water.

O: Well, it's not Bud Light but it's pretty bad. The smell alone makes me not want to drink it. If you want "great pilsner taste" try Warsteiner Premium Verum or Pilsner Urquell. I drank about half of it before drainpouring the rest. Even if it's cheap, I'd rather have a lower quantity of something decent than this. Not recommended.

1.71/5  rDev -39.1%

High Life it pours a pale yellow, looks like straw with a tiny head and lots of carbonation. It looks kind of like sprite with yellow food coloring. The taste is very bland and carbonated, just not impressive at all. The champagne of beers as right as far as carbonation goes, but not as far as taste. A real dissapointment.

1.73/5  rDev -38.4%

In the age of only reviewing good beers, it's still important to let the public know that beers like Miller High Life have no other redeeming qualities than to get people drunk. Offered to me by an ol' college buddy @ a Notre Dame tailgate. Water & corn adjuncts, mmm boy.

1.73/5  rDev -38.4%

Pours a light yellow color with little to no head. What is present of a head gives way quickly. The aroma is of a slight corn but not really anything to the aroma. The taste is watery but of slight grains. The mouthfeel is fizzy and slightly over carbonated. Overall it is a beer you would have one of and quit, it is very simplistic and doesn't have very much character to it.

1.8/5  rDev -35.9%

Pale golden in color, with a decent head that doesn't hang around long. Smell of corn and grain, along with a hint of a metallic aroma. Metalic taste to it, as well. I was hoping this was from the fact that it was in a can, but I've seen the same taste noted on reviews from bottles. Corn appears in the taste, too, and a strong hop presence, without much flavor to really back it up. Crisp and fairly clean in the mouth, though. Not a horrible brew, but not on my list for frequent purchasing.

1.81/5  rDev -35.6%

Champagne of Beers? Honestly, if I saw bubbles this big in my wine, I'd consider tossing it in the drain. Must be that Korbel shite that's always on sale 2 for 1. Picked this up for a buck and a half for a quart at a gas station, which actually makes it cheaper than the Pepsi they also sold there. Had to give it a whirl. Kinda wish I'd gotten the Pepsi. I like the new vanilla stuff.

A nice golden color to it, which in my opinion isn't as close to urine as some of the other reviews say. Or maybe my diet's just different. Still, I slap it with a penalty for having big obnoxious bubbles in the ample head. We're using a wine standard, after all, and they cling to the glass oddly. Like they're made out of glue or something.

Smell is truely unique. Somewhere between puke and old sneakers. I really wish I hadn't sniffed this one.

At first I thought it was kinda malty, but then I realized it's just very sugary. Not used to that. Finishes with a weak, hoppy rush. The hops really want to come out here, but they're too few, and too unpleasent. The sweetness overpowers what fuction they have in this brew.

Who ordered me the candy lager? There's worse tasting beers out there, don't get me wrong, but I don't think I'll return to this one. If beer could be sold to grade schoolers, they'd drink this. This one's made me wonder if it's actually made by brewing candy corn...

*update, 10 minutes after initial review*

I can't finish a quart of this filth. Down the drain it goes!

1.81/5  rDev -35.6%

Poured from a can.

Appearance- A frothy but quickly dissipating head. A transparent golden-yellow.

Smell- Can definately smell the corn malt. Maybe its just the marketing but it somehow reminds me of champagne.

Taste- Bland but not terrible. Mostly malts. And a healthy dose of ewww...

Mouthfeel- Incredibly smooth and light, but not to the point of being pure water. Doesn't over do the carbonation, either.

Drinkability- Horrible. Its too flavorful to be a chugging beer and to shitty to drink for the purpose of appreciating beer.

1.83/5  rDev -34.9%

This might be a popular choise for say college students because it is cheap. By no means do I think it is that good just a less expensive knock off than miller lite. Hops are non existant faint taste of corn. Easy to drink beer. Poor choice unless you are looking for a cheap and easy drunken binge. nothing great

look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Miller is not the worst beer I have ever drank. However, it is very close. It has a big popularity because of the cost. Have heard it called fermented piss, while i don't agree I still don't enjoy Miller.

1.83/5  rDev -34.9%

Can was poured into a plastic cup. I got this beer for free after I purchased a ticket for a concert and even though I had it before I never bothered to take notes.

This beer had a clear yellow color with visible carbonation and a small head that went away rather quickly. Smell was of metallic grains and corns. The taste was a bit stale with the typical watery corn flavor with inconsistent feel. Overall, this beer has the well known characteristics of your typical adjunct lager.

1.86/5  rDev -33.8%

Well lagered and filtered light straw colored CLEAR beer. Smell is a little hoppy and boring. Taste is way better than I expected... still boring. Tastes kind of like toasted white bread. Feel is water thin and prickly carbonation... Like Sprite soda. Beer is not fancy, better in can rather than glass. Great for cooking, chugging, or games. Probably the best American adjunct.

1.86/5  rDev -33.8%

Definitely not the champagne of beers. Carbonation a little too high for this beer, it overpowers any taste it might try to have. Aftertaste is bad but then again the true taste is nothing impressive. Decently smooth. The taste is distinct but not in the best way.. Of all the cheap beers this is one of the few distinct, with its foul aroma and bubbly taste.

1.87/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I have a good appreciation for more affordable beers, but this one I just can't seem to stomach. The term "swill" comes o mind. I'm shocked that this brew received such a high rating.

A- Appearance is not awful but nothing impressive, slight head vanishes when poured...dark yellow color.

S- Not really discernable from a number of adjuncts that are superior in every other facet.

T- I've never said this about any other beer, but the taste is terrible. I give it a 1.5 only because there is a faint possibiliy tha something out there may be worse. I've tried on many occasions to enjoy this beer, but to no avail. Slightly sour for some reason, and sweet likewise. Honestly tastes like the ingredients are rotten.

M- Not terrible, just light and over-carbonated when (not) enjoyed straight from the can.

D- None. I finished the can because I do not pur beer, even awful beer.

Can into glass.

Light watered down looking hay color.

Light cooked vegetable smell.

Barely any flavor, but slightly sweet, maybe from the corn adjuncts. Light bodied with plenty of carbonation. Clean finish, no lingering flavors.

Just another macro lager, nothing much to expect here. This actually was my favorite of the American Macro Lagers back when I first started with beers. Still seems sweeter than the others AMLs.

1.88/5  rDev -33.1%

Appearance - Pale straw with surprisingly good head retention and tons of sticky lace. Not bad.

Smell - Cooked corn and a bit of sulfur. That's honestly about it. Pretty foul.

Taste - Mild pale malts and a distinct creamed corn-like sweetness. No hops or bitterness to be found. Fairly clean; judging by the aroma, I was expecting worse. Very light-bodied and crisp, high carbonation. Not the worst macro lager out there, but certainly not good.

1.88/5  rDev -33.1%

Mmm-mm good. I found myself stranded at a concert with few better choices. At least it was better than the PBR I followed it up with.

Clear and yellow in bottle. Froths slight when opened. Smells slightly sour and urinelike. Flavor is a little grainy with a faint flicker of hop bitterness, but mostly a flat corny sweetness. A little sourish bitterness on the back end. The Mouthfeel is quite thin, leaving a little sourness behind.

1.89/5  rDev -32.7%

This is just a bad tasting beer. The commercials and 'High Life' name got me excited which is why I tried it. This was not a good idea. Miller markets this product like it's some high end beer but it tastes like an extremely below average, get-drunk-quick beer. there is no way that I could sip and enjoy this product.

1.9/5  rDev -32.4%

Big sudsy white adjunct head, decomposes from underneath in large bubbles. Clear-as-crystal yellow color. "High School Party" smell, mostly a pronounced neutral sweetness with a slight sense of cheap cheddar cheese. Malt flavor is very corn syrup dominated, a "cooked veggie" taste that to me denotes aspects of canned potatoes. Hard to pick out anything else. Hops are leathery in quality, as in many macros, and the flavor flattens in a typical way. Yeah, its pretty bad in a grand and traditional way. Budweiser has better crispness.

1.9/5  rDev -32.4%

I was feeling frisky one night and decided to pick something up that won't break the bank. It is a very pale straw urine color. No head. I prefer this one out of the bottle because the swigging motion refreshes what little head there is. Light grainy stale scent. I think there might be some hops hidden behind the carbonation while it rests on my tongue. Fades quicly. Not much to the aftertaste. Actually has some (very minimal) body to it, at least more so than most macros. Not fantastic but my go to in EXTREMELY tough times when choosing from the BMC line up. Neh.

1.9/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Arguably the worst American mass produced beer. There’s only one reason to drink this; it’s cheap. At $1.50/bottle at Red Bones BBQ, it’s nice to have one on hand to wash down the mistaken consumed Atomic Corn Relish your friends hid on your plate.

A pale yellow that a 2watt bulb could easily penetrate. A tall foam head displays it’s high carbonation level. Flavor? Like poorly-aged Corona. Pretty gross. I’d suggest Bud Light or Pabst Blue Ribbon if you’re looking for an inexpensive light beer.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.