Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

poor
good
Read the review
Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Reviews: 1,129 | Ratings: 3,672
3.45/5  rDev +22.3%

I poured this from a 12 oz bottle into a tall Pilsner glass.

Appearance- Pale, golden color. About a 2 finger head that dissipated quickly, but actually left a nice lacing in the glass. I was impressed.

Smell- Very clean, fresh, some corn, faint hops. Actually, quite pleasant.

Taste- Mildly sweet, corn, grains, non-metallic, minor hops... very enjoyable on a hot summer day barbecuing in the backyard.

Mouth- Sort of light on the palate, carbonation is average, and a nice aftertaste. Made me want to have another.

Overall- For a classic American adjunct lager I must say that it is difficult to complain about this one. It's been around since my grandfather was born and he probably drank it out of a bottle with a pacifier instead of milk as an infant. Hell, for $3.99 a six, and the significant amount of quality time I enjoyed drinking it, I'd have to say, "It's Miller Time!" ... even though I enjoy brewing my own beer as well. This is good 'in-between' beer. What can I say? :)

3.45/5  rDev +22.3%

Miller High Life is my beer of choice when I intend on maybe drinking more than normal, say with friends or at a party. It's cheap price and availability is what draws me to it for that purpose.

Appearance- Little to no head at all, and usually I don't even take the time to pour it. A golden yellow color is simply average, and isn't anything special.

Smell- Has a typical pungent beer smell, with nothing special or distinct. It's simply the hops.

Taste- Has a very easy, slightly bitter initial taste, and creates a bread like after taste(think Wonderbread) which makes it easy to enjoy. The aftertaste doesn't linger, and the beer goes down smooth.

Mouthfeel- The beer has a watery, thin feel to it, and isn't impressive as all

Drinkability- This beer is extremely light and goes down easy. Well suited for casual drinking games with a group because it doesn't fill you up.

3.45/5  rDev +22.3%

I can't believe it's taken me this long to review one of my staple beers....the good old "HIGH LIFE!"

Very thin and light in appearance and flavor...but oh, so drinkable. Smooth and refreshing...need I say more? AND, at 5% ABV, it's a warmer, too! It's an American classic that is, in my opinion, much better and CHEAPER than Miller Lite, Bud Light, etc... It's THE BEER that our blue-collar dads and grandfathers drank come 5 o'clock. It's the beer that is good with a hot dog...good with pizza...and just good to have after mowin' the lawn or a hard day's work, wherever it may be.

I've been drinking High Life for many years, and even when I say I'm not gonna drink it for awhile....I always go back to it. I guess it's my "go-to" beer that's affordable, drinkable, and respectable. It IS, to me, an American classic that should stay around forever. Here's to American lagers...here's to our old men (and women, I guess!) and grandpaps. And here's to the High Life. Cheers my friends!

3.45/5  rDev +22.3%

Served out of a 16 oz. pint can.

Appearance is typical golden straw colored American lager look.
Starts out with a decent bright white head that diminishes to a half-finger head, then fades away to give the beer a fizzy surface.
Lots of tiny bubbles rising to the top.

Smells of malt and corn. A little bitterness in the background, but mostly sweet corn.

Mouthfeel is fairly carbonated, slightly watery, but pleasant.

Lots of corn taste. Slightly sweet, but refreshing. Some bitterness mid-swig that follows through on the aftertaste.

Overall its a nice cheaper beer. One of my go-to's, the other being Pabst. But this is a good beer for a bachelor or a college student on a budget like myself. A lawnmower beer.

3.45/5  rDev +22.3%

This pours from 24oz can a clear light gold with a small head of foam that dissipates to nothing almost immediately. Ok, the second pour had a bigger head of foam but it still shrank quickly but it's leaving a few island this time.

The smell is a strong whiff of corn.

The taste is a strong corn flavour and some sweet malt that is followed by some hop bitterness that stays right through the finish. Not very complex, duh, but it still tastes pretty good to me but not as good as I remember it from several years ago. There's certainly nothing offensive here and it makes for a good thirst quencher.

PS: I actually enjoyed this brew on tap in the past but it seems no one carries the draft anymore. At least, not in my area.

3.45/5  rDev +22.3%

I've been drinking Miller Low Life (as it's been affectionately referred to amongst my posse) for more than a decade, but never actually sat down and tried to, like, savor it. So here goes...

Appearance is a wee bit darker than the average macro, or perhaps a bit darker than the average wee. The three-quarter-inch head is sticking around just a little bit and leaving behind little driblets of lacing (if you'd call it that). After 8-10 minutes, bubbles are still plooping up from the bottom. Really though, it shouldn't take 8-10 minutes to drink one of these.

Smells like every other Miller/Bud/etc. brew. I wouldn't be able to tell 'em apart by smell, that's for sure. It's the scent of corn mixed with some artificial thing that I guess I'm not beer-savvy enough to identify.

As long as it's cuh-hold, it tastes more than fine. Thoroughly average, which is a compliment when talking about a beer like this. With macro brews, deviation from "average" usually seems to mean skunky or otherwise funky. (I'm looking at you, Rolling Rock).

At $5.99 for a 12 pack of bottles, the drinkability speaks for itself. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go grab another Champagne...

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This stuff is cheap but I like it enough to pay more.

For a garden variety AAL this one is outstanding. Leader of the pack, top 'o the heap sort of thing.

The word bright comes to mind and not just in association with the Champagne of Beer tag line. This one meets and passes the test. It actually is more flavorful to me than many pilsners styles and managed to achieve this feat with a very crisp, clean finish that is refreshing and leaves no aftertaste. Probably their proprietary hopping but however done it works,

Recommended even when it isn't on sale.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I am going to start all my reviews with an original category : How the bottle looks and how the bottle is marketed.

I love the look of the product, its a classic look in its clear glass bottle with the retro label. It brings back memories of drinking multiple Millers up in the Poconos in the returnable bottles

A - Looks great, light appearance

S - Not much of a nose to this beer, but no mistake what your drinking when you put your nose to the bottle (or can)

T- Wonderful !! Very crisp, but still has some body to the beer in comparison to it's competition (Bud nonsense etc)

M- Very WET, refreshing

D- Clearly a session brew.

I will always grab a Miller HIGH LIFE when they are around - One condition - They must be very cold

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful color, smell, well it smells like beer, kind of reminds me of the smell of the red white and blue my dad used to drink. The best thing about this beer is its drinkability. You can easily mow through 6-10 beers without even realizing it. I will definitly drink it again.

3.46/5  rDev +22.7%

first of all it pours the best head of any american mass produced lager and it sticks the whole way down...it has body, character and aroma. an aquired taste...but those older and wiser than I have converted me to the High Life. i'm hooked. $13 a 30pack here in the northland makes it the absolute biggest bang for your beer buck too. an iced tea characteristic makes it oh-so poundable in the summer time too. some people hate it, others love it. decide for yourself.

3.46/5  rDev +22.7%

I drank this beer straight from the bottle, just as god intended it. It looks like golden water, no definitive characteristic just yellow/gold water with moderate to high carbonation.

The smell? Well what can I say, after you take back a bunch of bottles that have been sitting around for a while just before you sanitize your paws take a wiff.

This beer tastes to me like a fresh cut lawn very grassy wheat taste but watered down. call me crazy I kind of like it.

there is no aftertaste. Slight film left on the palate, maybe copper.

You could drink this beer all night long. Perfect for weddings, graduation parties, or a short budget $4.89 a sixer.

3.47/5  rDev +23%

A- Picked up a 12 pack of this while in Montana, as I like MGD, so thought I'd give this a try. The bottles are clear, which I don't necessarily like so much but oh well....old school look to the bottle anyways. Color is a shade better than straw, is very clear and there's lots of champagne like bubbles rising...probably why it's called the champagne of beers....typical of a macro lager however. The head actually sticks around for awhile, settling to a thin-ish layer over the liquied. Lacing is excellent, with lots of sticky, albeit stringy looking foam collecting along the glass...this does get much better as the drink winds down in the glass...more of a foamy film. Probably the best looking macro lager I've come across so far!

S- This area always seems to need work as far as Miller is concerned. The aromas are of general cooked corn, modest malt, and dry raw barley kernels. The finish contains some mild synthetic smelling hops. It's nothing to write home about, that's for sure!

T- If I have to compare this to anything, this is a rawer version of what MGD is....which is good IMO. The malt is there, if not a little bit cloying in the sweetness. The adjuncty corn really comes through towards the finish, along with some biscuit qualities. The actual finish has some well hidden, but noticeable nonetheless, hop bitterness. The overall flavor is decent for a macro!

M- This is a clean and crisp lager, yet still retains a mellow smoothness that makes this feel more medium bodied than thin. Seems to look the part as well, body wise.

D- What do I feel this beer is? It's a better version of MGD, IMO. The flavor is a little more prominent and it is very easy drinking...I wish this was in Canada....I would love to enjoy this all evening or at the pub! Great for beginner beer drinker but also great for a discerning BA that wants something cheap, yet flavorful.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Medium gold in color with a prominent soap lather white head that fades fairly quickly, decent broken lace.

Aroma: Slightly spicy, herbal aroma with a mild metallic quality.

Taste: Flavor opens with a hint of light malt sweetness, this soon turns slightly tart. Metallic hop bitterness dominates the latter part of the taste and lingers on well past the dry finish.

Mouth feel: Abundant carbonation adds a slight sting, otherwise a decently full body.

Drinkability/notes: Perhaps the best of the cheap nationals and far better than Natural Light. This was the first beer I ever tried and was my Dad's favorite.

3.47/5  rDev +23%

After having tried many other miller products, such as lite, MGD and MGD 64, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I had tried it at a friendly gathering several years ago, but generally paid it no mind as in my younger days I drank beer not for its aroma and flavor qualities.

Sure the color is typical macro brew america, straw yellow with plenty of fizz when you pop the top, however with the first sip, the beer reveals itself as one you can actually taste. There are distinguishable hops and malt characteristics, quite unusual for a beer in its price range (9.85 for an 18 pack bottles).

This is a solid beer to enjoy on those hot summer evenings as you are sitting on your porch/balcony watching the lightning from a distance, while eating a hearty tomato based BBQ sandwich.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Grainy and phenolic notes that are, believe it or not, reminiscent of some Belgian tripels. Though clean and filtered down to nothing, the nose is enticing with yeast -- a true riddle since it has none left in it and the original yeast should be a bland lager strain. This has a lot of character -- not just for macro lagers, but for beer in general.

Relax, relax.
ng

3.48/5  rDev +23.4%

Poured from 16 oz. can into Sam Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Golden yellow with a lot of bubbles and a nice sized white head with good retention. Decent lacing.

Smell: Grainy with sweet corn and a hint of earthy hops in the background.

Taste: Sweet grain and corn followed by a hint of citrus. Also a hint of hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation. Very crisp.

Overall: A decent lager for an adjunct and probably the best BMC product out there.

3.48/5  rDev +23.4%

Hint of corn and almost some malt on the slightly sweet, yet subtle nose. The flavor is pretty much the same – slightly sweet hint of malt, maybe a bit of corn and little generic sugary flavor. The carbonation comes to wash away the flavor almost as soon as I can start to taste it. There is a bit of a metallic (not quite hoppy) aftertaste, but it's not harsh.

I think overall this is definitely a serviceable brew for the category. I don't think it's as “clean” (or perhaps 'flavorless') as Bud though, it has more character. The lingering corn and metallic flavor almost simulate real beer flavors, almost.

3.48/5  rDev +23.4%

Easy to drink, crisp and refreshing. Perfect on a hot summers day. Not complex in anyway but it accomplishes what it set out to do. An excellent cheap beer.

3.48/5  rDev +23.4%

Pours a clear golden color with a good amount of foamy white head.

The scent is of light grains and corn.

The taste consists of pretty much the same, some sweet corn, grains, with some light hops.

Light bodied, crisp and smooth, high carbonation.

Very drinkable, though not interesting, but what American lagers are.

3.48/5  rDev +23.4%

A: Very mellow straw colored brew with a frothy head that was present the whole time.

S: Nothing exceptional. a good hint of malt sweetness as well as some roasted corn once it warmed up a bit.

T: Not the typical adjunt lager. It can warm up without becoming metallic tasting or flat. I did not detect any hop presence which would have made this beer formidable.

MF: Decent body on it. Nice and crisp a good amount of carbonation is present. Nothing unique but nothing undesirable.

D: Easily drinkable. A nice change of pace over other party beers

3.48/5  rDev +23.4%

this beer is based on the style it is classified in... nothing special but it's a good beer for a night out with the guys. not so sure it's the champagne of beers but for my money, i'd buy it again. has a musky taste to it that isn't overpowering. you can definately suck down quite a few of these. the one(s) i had were in tall-boy cans....can't get any better than that.

3.48/5  rDev +23.4%

A can poured into a glass at a party.

A- Kinda looks like champagne I guess. Out of the can it looks like colored water with a pale gold/yellow liquid. 1 & 1/2 inch frothy semi loose vanilla white head. Good stick that expands off the glass.

S- A pleasent macro smell, expecting corn i'm met with light pale malt. There is some corn here though. No hop presense even though it's in there somewhere. I pick up some sweet sugar. Not much to smell but this does not make me cringe.

T- Some earthiness in here surprisingly. A malt forward quaff, but it's not in OE territory. The malt gives off light toasted bread. The hops dont come forward, rather they just work well with the other ingredients giving off a pleasent taste.

M- Not bitter at all and slightly sweet towards the finish. Two steps above light bodied with a good amount of carb felt under the tounge. This is better cold, looses it's appeal as it warms. Goes down smooth, not rough at all.

D- I always seem to enjoy macro's a bit more out of a can vs a bottle. I drank three cans of this easily without a hitch, and it was just what I needed on this hot summer day. I've had this out of a bottle and could not finish it, so there is that.

3.48/5  rDev +23.4%

A - Yep, she's yellow. one finger head... At best. The head does hold and is quite foamy... Lacing looks foamy too... Above average for style.

S - Yep, has no good redeeming scents... Can't give points here. Smells "American".

T - YUM, sugary, American, thick, rich, and refreshing. One of the best BMC brews...

M - She's definitely over carbonated, but most "typical" BMC drinkers would reject this if it were any less... Very thick for a BMC/Lager. Easy Drinker.

For the price you cannot beat this brew... Very refreshing and always brings be back to my college days. Recommended, one of the classiest brews you can find, the Champagne of Beers.

Happy 50th to me!

Cheers!

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I can't believe I never rated this. Alright, this is the low brow class of beers, but I tend to make this my 'go-to' water beer. However I do enjoy the maltiness and carbonation of this beer. There is a consistency for this beer that makes me think it is very good value for the money. Now am I a sucker for the marketing and schtick of the 'champagne' ads? Oh hell yeah. I like it a lot, but also think this is a good beer, that shouldn't be the ugly sister of their Bud Lite and Coors Lite competition.

3.5/5  rDev +24.1%

12oz clear bottle wtih classic labeling. No freshness dating, or at least one that is consumer friendly.

Golden hued beer, bright, with a patchy white foam head comprised of mixed bubble sizes. Large bubbled slow carbonation. Lacing has some stick, with a moderate level of head retention.

Ultra-clean nose on this one, faint grain and an even fainter freshly husked corn aroma.

Even, medium bodied brew. Fizzy carbonation. Crisp. Smooth, with a creamy carbonation feel on the palate. Mild steely character in the flavor, some watery malty / creamed corn sweetness that sticks to the palate. Touch of malt husks, corn grits, with a drying edge. Corn flavor gets more pronounced as the beer warms and casts a blandness across the palate. Hop character is nearly non-existent with this tasting. Finishes with some residual dextriny sweetness and corn. Not overly clean, but it passes.

Drink ice cold for maximum enjoyment, but mostly so those corn flavors stay where they should.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.