Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

poor
good
Read the review
Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Reviews: 1,129 | Ratings: 3,673
3.33/5  rDev +18.1%

Color: Golden Yellow
Smell: corn and citrus
Taste: Nice clean taste, sweet and mellow
Drinkability: Very easy to drink

This is a BEER that's better in bottles, got a 12 pack of bottles for 7 bucks. Not a GREAT beer, but not a bad one either. But they brew it Local, so I am supporting the economy.

3.24/5  rDev +14.9%

My cheap beer of choice. Easily the best cheap beer in bottles. That being said, after around ~500 of these lifetime, I feel the need to review it.

Look: I rarely pour into a glass, but the head holds well and the color is...there.

Smell: Ehh. Corn, a weird sweetness. No need to smell it again.

Taste: The corn shows up briefly, but fades. There's no weird aftertaste like in a lot of AALs, and it finishes smoothly. A decent sweetness.

Feel: Clean is the best word here. Lots of carbonation.

I will drink this until my income increases greatly. For now, here's to living the High lIfe.

3.56/5  rDev +26.2%

Dad's beer. Classic clear bottle. Great label. Not much nose. "Beery" taste. Clean. Probably the best mouthfeel among all American adjuncts. Sudsy. Good old fashioned beer. I like it. It reminds me of how things were in the 60's. I would keep a few bottles in the fridge at all times.

3.2/5  rDev +13.5%

High Life has been my choice of budget beer (5.49 12 pk) since my freshman year of college. It's not much to look at, don't bother pouring it into a glass, but it is much better than it's competition. Other beers in it's price range would be Pabst, Beast, Keystone, etc... and this is far more enjoyable than any of those. Depending on my mood, I might actually reach for a High Life in the presence of far superior beers just because it's easy to drink.

Bottom line is, although theres no great unique taste, there's also no bad taste. It's just a cheap, easy to drink beer. I would drink this over a Bud anyday

3.25/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours clear, light, and yellowish. The head is moderate, yet holds moderately well.

It smells crisp, clean, and light, like most American macro lagers. However, the grain and corn hues come out stronger than in most.

The taste is very reserved, but good. When served cold (like for other American macro lagers, go COLD), it's every bit as clean and crisp as it smells, and delivers the promised faint grain taste.

Very drinkable. Pretty good, for what it is.

2.68/5  rDev -5%

What can I say about this beer that has not already been said?This is the brew I buy when I need a lot of beer for a big party,cheap, easy to get,and nobody complains.It is the only American Macro I can stomach,for the most part,and it gives my neither a headache,nor the trots,like most of the rest do.All in all it is an average beer,good for parties,but not what you want to drink if you are having a small group of friends over for a nice dinner.

2.5/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a 24oz can.

Look: A clear lite gold color with a two finger head that sticks around for a few minutes. While going away, the head leaves lacing all down the sides of my glass.

Smell: Clean with some malt.

Taste: It's starting to warm up a bit so it's not quite as "smooth" but there's a few flavors in there that I'm trying to describe. Can definitely taste the malt but there's a little something extra that sticks around till the end. Some people are saying corn, but I can't really say that is what I taste. (Maybe it just needs to be colder? Hehe)

Feel: Very light in the mouth and the carbonation is somewhat delicate.

Drinkability: I think I could drink a few glasses of this; it goes down pretty easy and doesn't have a very high ABV so having a couple wouldn't be a big deal.

Overall I can say that it wasn't as bad as some people might have led me to believe (my roommate). Of the things I've heard about it, none were really positive, so this made me want to try it for myself so that I could review it. Can't knock something till you've tried it, right? With that said, it wasn't really 'terrible', but not good enough to really buy again.

2.93/5  rDev +3.9%

A bright golden hue. Plenty of carbonation. Sometimes, a little too much. Simple beer aroma. Plain taste, maybe a bit sweet. The carbonation makes this a smooth drink. A good alternative when I'm in a mood where I'm not much interested in the taste of my beer.

2.98/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

this beer is pretty decent for a cheap beer. I don't know if it is the champagne of beers but it's not terrible. It is a very clear light yellow color and very fizzy. It does smell a little sweaty. It also tastes a little sweaty but it is not the bad type you usually associate with that description.

2.58/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. can with the lady in the moon.

Appearance: Very clear and very pale. Snow white head fades fast to a bit of lacing.

Smell: Not very much to be smelled at all save a faint sweetness.

Taste: Much sweeter than the nose implies, in a grainy adjunct sort of way.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin, but it's clean and even has a little creaminess.

Drinkability: One could certainly do worse. The sweetness in this beer makes it quite nice on a stifling summer day, though it must be ice cold.

2.8/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance- Has a straw yellow color to the beer pours a small head.

Smell- Not a destinctive smell but has a light smell of grains, malts, and corn

Taste- Has a light corn taste and some grains to the taste not good but not terrible either.

Mouthfeel- Goes down smooth,light body and refreshing

Drinkability/overall- A decent average beer nothing good or bad to really say about it

2.92/5  rDev +3.5%

Although this beer is made by Miller which represents the American Beer Powerhouses (Miller, Coors, Bud...); of which i do not like at al. This beer actually isnt too bad for a mainstream american light lager. It has a light body with a decent amount of flavor. It isnt my first choice but Miller High Life actually isnt that bad and its about the same price as Natural Light which i will never again drink....plus High Life has a great slogan- "The Champagne of Beers"!

2.37/5  rDev -16%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Look: Pale straw with a weak head that dissipates

Smell: Musty, strangely fruity, wet paper, vaguely grainy,

Taste-heavy on the sweet malts, slight notes of what I imagine cardboard would taste like, but not entirely unenjoyable. no real semblance of any hops

Feel-Agressively carbonated, very light

Look, if you're drinking this beer you know what it is. A macro-brewed adjuct that's stupid cheap. In my opinion, this is one of the better cheap, mass produced brews. If I'm at a barbeque on hot summer day eating burgs and lounging by the pool, it might not be my first choice, but I wouldn't turn it down either.

2.24/5  rDev -20.6%

Wow. It poured a nice gold with a surprisingly thick head that left lotsa lacing.But... tis true looks can be deceiving.The aroma was non existent,the flavor followed suit, very ,very bland and totallly lacking any discernable character.My father-in-law drinks this ,that's where I got the bottle to review,Thanks Pop,but no thanks.

1.71/5  rDev -39.4%

High Life it pours a pale yellow, looks like straw with a tiny head and lots of carbonation. It looks kind of like sprite with yellow food coloring. The taste is very bland and carbonated, just not impressive at all. The champagne of beers as right as far as carbonation goes, but not as far as taste. A real dissapointment.

4.46/5  rDev +58.2%

Miller High Life is one of my favorite American macrobrews. It's the Champagne of Beers, and I like it. Here are the details:

Appearance: This may come as a shock to you, but Miller High Life looks exactly like...beer.

Smell: The smell is uh...uh...unique. It flat-out doesn't smell like any other beer that I've come across. Pungent, but sweet. And it's strong -- the fragrance of Miller High Life will quickly fill up even the largest indoor room. If it gets too powerful, open a window and let your next-door neighbors feel the love!

Taste: No bitterness whatsoever. It's sweet. Not sweet like Oreo Cookies or Froot Loops, but sweet like a fresh, warm corn tortilla with unsalted butter on top. Much richer in taste than most macrobrews, in my opinion. Although it's budget-priced at the moment, Miller High Life has "premium beer" flavor, especially if it's in a glass bottle or on tap.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is amazing. It's an explosion of tingles and smooth-as-silk texture. A truly awesome experience.

Drinkability: Miller High Life goes down very nicely. You'll find that it flows very well after the first few sips. However, it can seem to be very filling if you're not used to it, even a little heavy at times, especially when compared to other American classics such as Bud, Coors Original, or Rolling Rock. So I would recommend drinking 2 or 3 bottles maximum with some pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc., and hold off on drinking it as a session beer until you're a veteran High Life drinker.

Vito says, "Try a Miller High Life. You might dig it!"

3.5/5  rDev +24.1%

This is a favorit summer beer. When its hot out side and your gutting the grass there is nothing like a nice cold high life to quench your thirst.

Nice yellow color

No After taste

Drinkability Great

This is a beer that is best for Sunday football games

GO REDSKINS!!!

3.6/5  rDev +27.7%

I picked up a fresh six pack of this to enjoy while watching the Premier Leage on FSC. Poured from a bottle into a glass.

Appearance: Has a rather average beer appearance... light golden color with a touch of amber. Decent amount of head that leaves a light lace on the glass as you drink. Nothing bad, but nothing wonderful either.

Smell: A light grain-malt smell with a little wisp of sweetness.

Taste: One of the better of the 'cheap' beers out there. High carbonation mixed with a sweet malt fills your mouth. Crisp and clean finish.No real hop flavor present. Pairs very well with a salty or bitter food in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: Seems to have more carbonation then other beers... or maybe its just my imagination. Either way, its quite good, light and clean.

Drinkability: Id say that High Life leans considerably towards a high drinkability. Its severely underrated and serves well as a session beer. Because of its light and rather above average taste, along with being good with multiple foods, I rated accordingly. Comes recommended.

2.86/5  rDev +1.4%

Tried living the High Life for the first time, for the cost I had to give it a shot. Standard American lager look, yellow color but one thing that stood out is the incredibly foamy head this beer creates. It was thick and quite nice looking for a macro lager. Taste was decent. Malt and corn, with the slightest hint of hops in there. Thin in the mouth and a standard lager smell. I knocked back a sixer of these and enjoyed them just fine. Not a bad choice at all for those looking for a cheap lager to go with the game. I'll be living the High Life more often now I think considering the price.

2.3/5  rDev -18.4%

Never had this beer before,a friend of mine said it wasnt that bad and since it was one of only a few beers i havent had i said what the hell.I wont give this beer a true full review,for one it just doesnt have enough substance to need it and two it just doesnt deserve it.Its not the worst beer i have ever had that award goes to another miller product icehouse,but not the best american lager by a long shot either.

this is only good for those times when your on a beer budget and anything will do and even then their are better options out their.I drank this straight from the bottle i would not insult my glassware with it.I guess in the end beer is like sex even when its bad its still pretty good.now thats living the high life.

3.68/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Typical American adjunct lager smell if that is what your type of beer, very soapy head on it. The mouthfeel is prickly with carbonation but very smooth. Its actually not the corn/veggie aftertaste that miller usually puts out. Im actually surprised. For what it is, A.A.L i could get youst to buying this and drinking it on a daily basis. Plus the price is about 17.99 USD for a 30 pack.

3.22/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: golden color with a medium sized head. Lots of bubbles.

Smell: small hint of corn, plus hop smells.

Taste: Very crisp and light beer, some grains, not a lot of hops taste. Sort of a sweet taste.

Overall: Pretty average beer, from a macrobrewer and for the price I will say its an OK beer and one I do drink in college because of it.

3.25/5  rDev +15.2%

What the hell! This is in my opinion the best cheep beer there is. Poors straw yellow with a thin head that lingers and clings to the top, lots of carbonation bubbles. little or no smell, maybe a sweet yeasty smell, flowery. Taste is sweet, touch of hops, little aftertaste.

This is now on the top of my list when the budget is low. Drink it cold!!!!!

M

2.4/5  rDev -14.9%

The only reason to drink this beer is because you're low on cash, and the alternative is an AB product. Pale yellow, no head (unless you shake the can first), and only drinkable ice cold. "Flavor" greatly favors any other boring beer that you drank back in junior high. No hops. Really needs more hops. Mouthfeel = watery. It's drinkable only because it's cheap.

3.08/5  rDev +9.2%

I'm not going to bash this beer. Yes, there are indeed better beers out there and this inexpensive brew won't win any awards. But it has its upsides.

First, there is a daring hops presence that can't be found in any other mass-market beers. Not bad, actually. It also isn't soda-sweet like Bud or Miller. It's actually trying to taste like something interesting. Almost floral. While I don't care for the slummy "champagne of beers" marketing, this is my choice if I'm forced to make a gas station beer run or if I'm going camping with friends. Let's give it credit for what it is: a cheap, readily available beer that is a definite step up from Bud Light and friends. Sometimes, and I know this is strange, I just don't want to spend a lot of money.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.