Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

poor
good
Read the review
Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Ratings: 3,748 |  Reviews: 1,147
3.1/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a pale yellow color with a half finger of quickly fizzling head

S: Quite bready, with a hint of adjuncts and sweetness. Not bad at all

T: Follows the nose. Malty and bready with a definite adjunct sweetness. Simple. Nothing off-putting or offensive

M: Light bodied with moderate-high carbonation

O: An enjoyable, sessionable, cheap AAL that has nothing wrong with it. It's not great, but it's not bad either. I could see myself drinking quite a few of these during a football game or sporting event

3.1/5  rDev +9.9%

As we all know, this is the "champagne of beers", at least according to SAB Miller. Since I was a young lad this has been one of favorite beers in the category of drinking several of in one sitting. The label is neat and the beer itself looks decent. The smell is also decent, while the taste is a little better. And the mouthfeel is an improvement. But since it goes down quickly, the drinkability for certain functions gets a 4.0.

When you are playing a long game of cards, watching football, and in other long social gatherings, Miller High Life is a great companion.

24oz can

Miller High Life was a very clear pale golden color with a white head. The head had fairly decent retention, leaving a little lace behind. The smell was grainy. The taste was lightly malty with a lightly bitter, dry finish. It is a crisp, light bodied lager with medium-high carbonation. This is a good beer if you are on a tight budget, the taste is acceptable, it's cheaper than dirt, and besides, it is the "champagne of beers".

3.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Miller “High Life” pours a snow yellow from a 32oz can. Head forms like the suds in a sink full of dishes. Nose has some barley malt and damp corn.

Palate has some pleasant malt, corn, bitter hops, and that fizzy gas thing with the carbonation.

While Miller “High Life” is not on top of the mountain of Beers, its not on the bottom either.

3.1/5  rDev +9.9%

A-pale gold, thick white head

S-smells like sweet barley, light, not impressive

T-this isn't completely terrible. Its an average hit of barley, but sweet barley. Decent matching after-taste. Very crisp.

M-medium to heavy carbonation, slightly dry finish

D-one of the most drinakble adjunct lagers i've had. i got this at 2 for 1s at applebees and i swallowed both mugs like it were water. it stays smooth and crisp

3.1/5  rDev +9.9%

When times are rough or if I'm just looking to buy quantity- I'll almost always (PBR gets me sometimes) go to the Champaigne of beers. A six-pack of tall boy Miller High Life is still one of the best beer deals around. Perfect for a round of golf.

Just to bad I can never find this on tap anywhere. To be honest, I'm not really sure if they even keg this stuff. They really should though.

3.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Okay- I will admit it. If I have to drink a macro, I will hit the Miller High Life. I like to think it is the working man's beer.

The beer pours a very straw yellow color and whatever head starts, doesn't want to stick around very long.

No real smell to the beer and the overall taste is fairly watery.

Now, all that being sad, here in Texas where it is 110 degrees on my patio when I am grilling, I need an easy, watery beer to quench my thirst while grilling.

3.1/5  rDev +9.9%

I do my best to like the big American brands. Why spend a bunch for beer if you can buy the lower priced stuff that is easy to get?

I told my wife. Somebody sent this home with me from a party and I will dump it out if I don't like it.

I poured it and it had a decent 1" head and was as clear straw yellow as the next one. The nose is nonexistent but the nice feature is that it does not have an aftersmell or an off scent that makes it difficult to enjoy some of the other macros. They may taste ok but don't smell good at all. Not mentioning any names.

The taste is clean sweet and grainy. Quite easy to drink and quite easy to enjoy. I told myself, this will go downhill as the beer sits and beer warms. It tasted the same at the end as at the beginning. I must say, this is one of the best, if not the best, macro made in America. The quest goes on, but I think I have had most of them..

3.09/5  rDev +9.6%

This is Miller's highest rated beer and it deserves to be. While it doesn't hold a candle to most of the other beers I like to drink, it's not bad. Cool and refreshing with very little taste, the beer pours a light platinum with some head and lacing but the head is quick to retreat. Flavor of perhaps lemon, but little else. Not as much character as the best industrial lagers of Europe, and little hop or barley flavors, but a crisp clean taste with none of the off-flavors that creep into American macros - cooked veggies, stale or skunky hops, etc. To be drunk ice cold from the bottle, or out of a very small glass (not a pint glass) -- at very quick speeds. I like the bottle design - retro? The girl on the moon is a nice touch, and the shape of the bottle itself is satisfying to hold (I can't fathom why, it just is). I've bumped up the appearance score accordingly. One of the only US macros I plan to buy again, if only for the dubious reason that there's nothing offensively bad about it. I'll stay away from the big bottles though; any unneccesary exposure to air or room temperature won't do this fragile beer any favors.

3.09/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

L -- Pale straw color with an intense effervescence. Clear. Huge head quickly dissipates, minimal lacing. 3.25
A -- corn, grain,mild fruity aromas 3
T -- Bland, generic mass market lager taste 2.5
F -- The selling point of this beer. Lively carbonation and a light but not watery mouthfeel combine to make a very refreshing beer, that remains drinkable hours after opening. 4.25
O -- Tied with pbr for best widely available cheap beer 3.75

3.09/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.09/5  rDev +9.6%

12 oz. can from the duty free; best before April 2 2012. Talk about cutting it close.

Pours a pale straw yellow, topped with slightly more than a finger of fizzy white head. It dissipates to a thin, even cap in a matter of minutes, leaving behind a thin ring of lacing around the edge of the glass. Streams of bubbles rising to the surface. Certainly not the worst-looking lager I've ever seen. Bland, grainy aroma with a lot of corny sweetness and not much else.

Surprisingly solid taste - and by solid I don't necessarily mean interesting or unique, but definitely relatively clean and enjoyable. The corny sweetness is noticeable, but it's not sickly overpowering, with grainy malts and grassy hay making up the bulk of the rest of the flavour. Faint lemony taste toward the finish, with a clean aftertaste. One thing I will say - the mouthfeel of this stuff is perfect for the style. Thin-bodied and watery, but highly carbonated - probably the only trait this shares with actual champagne - for a wonderfully crisp, refreshing mouthfeel.

This stuff passes my litmus test for adjunct lagers with flying colors - decent flavour, crisp taste, and exceptionally easy to throw back around a fire or during the game. You could do much, much worse than MHL - and doing better (without moving to a 'better' style of beer) could be a bit of a challenge.

Final Grade: 3.09, in the C+ range. This stuff is apparently available in Canada, though I have never actually seen it advertised anywhere, and if it's anything like MGD it's probably too expensive to be worth it anyway. That being said, I could see myself picking up some of this at the duty free the next time I return from a Stateside trip. I'd certainly take this over many Canadian macros.

3.09/5  rDev +9.6%

I'm just going to be honest here. It's cheap. But it doesn't taste quite as cheap as it actually is. If I'm having a few beers in the evening, I drink one of these between more expensive, better quality brews or homebrews. Makes the "good brews" last longer. Hell, most of us can't afford filet mignon every day.

3.09/5  rDev +9.6%

Miller high life is a very good starting light beer

3.08/5  rDev +9.2%

Miller High Life, the champagne of beers as it were, gets a bad rap. Years of terrible marketing and appearances in the shadiest of bodegas (corner stores and Delis for the non-New Yorker) Have given it the status of a Old English or a Coor's Banquet. The beer is more than it appears, inside that glass bottle with the girl on the moon is a malted beverage that is dare I say: out of this world...

A- A deep goldenrod with the clarity of the finest topaz of Egypt. Thick but structurally flimsy egg shell head
S- Fresh cut wheat with a copper undertone, when properly decanted one can detect a fine hint of chilled concrete.
T- Bready with a undertone of frosted flakes, rightfully so as this is a part of a balanced breakfast.
M- "High"-ly Carbonated, much like the 16th Century Benedictine monks who honed it's namesake. Tiny bubbles make the beer refreshing and highly sessionable.

3.08/5  rDev +9.2%

I'm not going to bash this beer. Yes, there are indeed better beers out there and this inexpensive brew won't win any awards. But it has its upsides.

First, there is a daring hops presence that can't be found in any other mass-market beers. Not bad, actually. It also isn't soda-sweet like Bud or Miller. It's actually trying to taste like something interesting. Almost floral. While I don't care for the slummy "champagne of beers" marketing, this is my choice if I'm forced to make a gas station beer run or if I'm going camping with friends. Let's give it credit for what it is: a cheap, readily available beer that is a definite step up from Bud Light and friends. Sometimes, and I know this is strange, I just don't want to spend a lot of money.

3.08/5  rDev +9.2%

This was my most favorite beer in the world for a few years when i lived in Georgia( USA that is)..its cheap, it tastes ok..and goes down real easy on a hot humid Georgia summer night..and it goes well with fried catfish! What more could you ask.
Its still a pretty good American style lager beer..its good value for what it is..nothing fancy working mans beer.Still drink this in the summer now and again..but not as often here in Oregon.

3.08/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Pale clear yellow, no head, a bit of lacing.

Smell: Smells a bit like eggs...

Taste: Fine, not a whole lot of flavor but seems balanced.

Mouthfeel: Thin and a little too carbonated. I love me some carbonation, but this isn't a good ratio for me.

Overall: I was preparing for an awful experience but was pleasantly surprised by this beer! I probably wouldn't get this to drink at home but wouldn't mind if it's one of a few options at a party or something.

3.08/5  rDev +9.2%

I was a little surpised by this beer. Wasn't all too bad I have to admit. Poured out a pale yellow with a somewhat decent head on it. Smell was a little too clean, just some grainy aromas in there, not much to talk about. Taste was somewhat respectable though. A little bit of hops show up along with some sweetness and bitterness, but there's just a little too much sweetness to my liking. Considering it's made by one of the big three, and that there's some actual beer elements (hopefully) in there, it's somewhat average compared to other beers. Having a BBQ soon and don't have that much cash? This is the way to go then.

3.08/5  rDev +9.2%

Drank from a clear 12oz. bottle.

A: A clear golden yellow.

S: corn adjuncts, and not much else.

T: Corn, a little malt carbonation. Nothing to speak too highly of.

M: A little thick for this type of beer.

D: Very good, it's nothing to unsettling with taste or alcoholic content, but I'd have a few on tap for affordability, and the overall appeal of a beer of this caliber, cheap and effective.

3.08/5  rDev +9.2%

It does look better than Bud, and let's face it, that's who we're comparing it to. I never pour it into a glass though. Did once, and it made it worse some how.

It just smells like beer. Non descrip beer.

Taste is par for the course on Macro brews. Make sure it's fresh. Which can be hard because it doesn't sell as well as Bud, and it has a clear bottle.

Mouth feel is nothing to write home about.

Long neck Millers, in a bucket of ice on after working in the sun all day. . . I can sort of understand where "Champaign of Beers" comes from. It's cheap too.

This is really as "light" of a beer as I can go. But it really is one of life's simple pleasures to crack open a High Life that was kept on ice while you mow the lawn. Miller time anyone?

3.08/5  rDev +9.2%

A great American macro. Pale golden colour with a sticky, creamy, fluffy, white head that lasts fairly long. That wet grain nose with very subtle hop flower. Grainy flavors with a faint, lemony hoppiness. Smooth medium-light bopdy with crisp edginess.

The best after-work beer. A fine session beverage. Also a solid, tastey option for the fiscally observant. Yes, the Champagne of Beers! I love this lady. Cheers!

3.08/5  rDev +9.2%

I haven't had any beers made by the macros since 2000 with the exception of reviewing Bud's American Ale, and Miller High Life. This is the only beer made by any of them which I actually go to as a default beer if nothing else is available. Poured it into a pint glass. Pours a golden yellow color. Not much in the aroma except some bready malt and grain. Taste on the sweet side with good crispiness. Aftertaste had some veryt light lingering honey. Very easy to drink a lot of this. To this day still my only default macro beer. Not too bad.

3.08/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a pint glass.
A: Pours a golden transparent body with a large white head.
S: Smells of slight hops and malty with strong grains and corn.
T: Tastes as it smells corn and grains
M: Well carbonated, just what you'd expect form Miller.
Overall: One of the better adjuncts in my book. Decent flavor and highly drinkable...Consume in large quantities.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.