Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

poor
good
Read the review
Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Reviews: 1,129 | Ratings: 3,673
2.34/5  rDev -17%

Poured from a 32-oz. bomber into a pilsner glass at my house on July 31, 2012 (picked it up for 2 for $3.98 at 7/11 in San Diego, Calif., on July 31, 2012). About two fingers of head. Color was basically gold, urine like. Foamy, frothy white head/lacing on the top. Surprisingly good retention on the top and the sides.

Smelled corn, metallic, wheat, bread, grass. Slight caramel sugar. Heavy cereal.

Tasted not so much. Got lots of cereal (Cheerios, Shredded Wheat). Corn, metallic, wheat, grass.

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt, watery finish.

Never liked this beer and still don’t like it when rating it. Plenty of better options.

2.33/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from can into pint glass

Appearance –Pours a medium golden color with a big white head. Big carbonation bubbles could be seen coming up through the brew. The head faded very fast leaving no lacing.

Smell – Nothing but corn here.

Taste – The taste is much of the same in the nose. Corn mainly, although there is a slight bit of citrus hop flavor that comes in at the end of the taste.

Mouthfeel – Thinner body and lots of carbonation. Easy to drink and good for the style.

Overall – Since I paid $1.50 for 32 oz. what should I expect? Slightly subpar in comparison to the standard American adjunct lager.

2.33/5  rDev -17.4%

The Cham-Pag-Neh of beers. Pssh....

Pours a clear, urine-stained body with a decent white head that retains surprisingly well and deivers a fair amount of lacing. The aroma is a mash of wheat, terribly pale malts, and an attempt (in vain) at hops.

The flavor isn't much different: a bit of wheat and pale malts, not much else besides water. Mouthfeel is metallic, bitter (not in the hoppy, good way), and depressing. Ahh college days. I'd drink this only to get a good buzz, and not much else reason-wise.

2.32/5  rDev -17.7%

Nice golden color, sudsy (but short lived) foam. Not the most impressive looking beer, but not poor for its category. Beer scent is overpowered by a strong secondary odor of something unpleasant, (and kinda vomitty smelling). Corn? The taste is, for me, very much hurt by the odor. The taste itself (insofar as it can be separated from the smell) is also pretty poor. Tastes corny, bitter and offers an unpleasant pure alcohol flavor with each mouthful. It is clean, though, leaving little or no lingering aftertaste. Feels like a macrobrew in the mouth, sudsy and light. No major complaints there. Drinkability is something of a toss-up. The beer is light and clean, but the flavor and smell are a little off for me, making subsequant beers unappetizing.

Before I expanded my beer horizons, this was one of my several beers of choice. I was a little worried to try it really considering its quality. Alas its legacy is, for me, forever tainted. Even among macrobrews there are better choices.

2.32/5  rDev -17.7%

another macro. not too bad at that. a good beer for those looking for a light beer and/or a thirst quencher. a good cookout beer.

there are hundreds of beers that work well for me as "cookout" beers and this one gets lost in the crowd. it is cheap but decent. not my choice when looking but if i does catch my eye it is acceptable.

try it but dont have high life expectations.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

2.32/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into an English pint glass. Minimal head, appears a bright clear yellow color. Smell is not inviting. The taste is ok upfront but has an unpleasant after taste (Metallic). Can't detect any good flavors taste-wise, it's pretty watery. I would not choose to drink this beer for any reason other than price.

2.32/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Recently was left a cooler full. Normally don't buy this but I figured I'd keep it. It's been hot as balls out lately so I been drinking these with lime and they are actually pretty refreshing.

2.32/5  rDev -17.7%

I bit light, refreshingly clean , with a lot of corn-like sweetness. Pretty tasty when nice and cold straight out of the fridge.

I still prefer MGD to this though, I think it has a bit more going for it.

High Life is an American icon.

2.31/5  rDev -18.1%

From the can, poured as always straight up into a pint glass. I can't drink beer straight from the can, if I have the option to have a glass.

Foam had some staying power, better than most macros. Also some decent lacing.

The next day I had a headache. Lots of rice and or corn in this bad boy.

2.31/5  rDev -18.1%

Clear and golden, white head disappears, leaving no lacing. Aroma was nearly absent--not enough to describe. Flavor has no hop to speak of and not much malt. Thin and crispy thirst quencher, but I look for much more in a beer. Not the worst macro I've had; I probably won't have it again unless it's free, but it was worth the try.

2.31/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours a light straw color, totally clear, with a short-lived one-finger head, leaving little lacing on the glass. Aroma is of corn, with a very slight grassyness. Tastes just like it should - dissapointing. Flavor is of corn, with very little hop bitterness. Mouthfeel: Astringent, and the high carbonation makes my tongue feel tingly. This beer is a little too thick and oily for my palate; although I think it is appropriate for this style. Overall, I prefer this beer out of the bottle more so than in a glass. I like to think that this is just flavored alcohol water, not a classy brew to sip and enjoy. As I always say, "There's a time and place for every beer," and this one is perfect for beachside session drinking and not much else.

2.31/5  rDev -18.1%

A - this macro pours a very pale yellow, with a thin white lacy head that dissipates quickly, fizzy like soda

S - a malty aroma with citrus hints, no hoppy aromas

T - fizzy, with a malty kick, no hops evident, but a nice refershing taste, my leading macro choice

M - fizzy, but refreshingly smooth, especially on a hot lawn mowing type day

D - high, easy to pound

2.3/5  rDev -18.4%

Presentation: From a keg in my house, into large glass mug.

Appearance: Very pale looking, darker than something like Natural Light though. There is moderate head with a little staying power.

Smell: Smells a lot like corn to me. Especially when it is served at a warmer temperature.

Taste: Rather thin body, although more than cheaper beers. Taste a lot like it smells with a moderate corn/barley flavor.

Overall: Its certainly better than Nati Light. But certainly not something I would drink given a larger budget. Great for college, not for much else...

2.3/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Still pours the standard light yellow with minimul head, suprisingly the smell a little more funky out of the bottle, smell hints of earth tones with a strong smell of grain and grilled corn. Taste is a bit bitter, hops and a strong sour grain taste. Cool and refreshing but suprisingly didn't like as much as canned.

2.3/5  rDev -18.4%

A - Pours yellow in color, very little carbonation, small head, some lacing afterwards.

S - Scents of sweet malts, hops.

T - The taste is kinda sweet, but very watery.

M - Light body, not much of an aftertaste to talk about.

D - Drinkable I guess. Many moons ago I use to like this stuff.

2.3/5  rDev -18.4%

Now, don't get me wrong, but this sucker has a pronounced corny taste that I can actually respect. It is sweet and corny, but in a way I can identify as actual corn - not the barnyard leavings of some beaked bird. It has a touch of the bad breath I find on my burly bearded buddy when I visit him in the cab of his pickup truck (he was living there for a few months). When I am angry at the world of "better beer" and my wallet is in turn, angry at me, I will reach for a forty of this wicked foulness is a way that keeps me giggling and cackling inside, The aroma, flavor, and finish is all sweet corn - maybe I should scarf on some tamales and wash it down with this one!

2.3/5  rDev -18.4%

Never had this beer before,a friend of mine said it wasnt that bad and since it was one of only a few beers i havent had i said what the hell.I wont give this beer a true full review,for one it just doesnt have enough substance to need it and two it just doesnt deserve it.Its not the worst beer i have ever had that award goes to another miller product icehouse,but not the best american lager by a long shot either.

this is only good for those times when your on a beer budget and anything will do and even then their are better options out their.I drank this straight from the bottle i would not insult my glassware with it.I guess in the end beer is like sex even when its bad its still pretty good.now thats living the high life.

2.3/5  rDev -18.4%

The box champagne of beers
___

A: Yellow tinted water with a one finger foamy white head that was gone in under 2 minutes.

S: A bit of dry malt, some metallic adjunct funk, and that's about it.

T: Quite dry biscuity malt, metal, and almost no hops at all... extremely light on flavor, but considering the source, it's kind of a blessing.

M: Extremely carbonated... I can see why they call it 'The Champagne of Beers', well, the box champagne of beers anyway.

D: Actually quite refreshing in a shitty way.

2.29/5  rDev -18.8%

Miller High Life. The Champagne of beers.
ok.
Not bad appearance. Light golden color with lots of bubbles (which is I guess what you would expeact for the champagne of beers)
smell and taste are eh. nothing special or exciting. nothing really to offer.
Mouthfeel is really carbonated (duh)

D- I would pick MGD over miller high life but this isn't bad.

2.28/5  rDev -19.1%

This is my uncle’s beer. As long as I can remember, the guy has always had a cooler or fridge full of Miller High Life. Oddly enough, It’s taken me years to actually get around and try it for myself. And really, it seems that if I weren’t a beer geek and didn’t mind the taste of beer, I probably would have been a Miller man myself. There’s an extremely boring, cereal-like flavor, no aroma and no bitterness. What makes this better than the much-hated-by-me Budweiser is that it lacks that nasty flavor in the back that Budweiser has. This just doesn’t have much of anything.

2.28/5  rDev -19.1%

Well this was given to me for free at the liquor store.
Poured a very pale yellow, highly carbonated, apart from it's two finger large bubbled white head, this actually does look like champagne. Laced in partial rings, head remained as a film. I guess the marketing isn't lying there, but of course why should a beer look like champagne?
Malty, cereal aroma, like when you first open a box of rice crispies, a touch of lemon.
Lightly malted taste, a little bitter.
Light feel (that word came to mind a lot when drinking).
It's not horrible, nothing would stand it the way if you wanted to drink a lot, on the other hand there is nothing there that would make you want to drink a lot.

2.28/5  rDev -19.1%

I brought a 24 oz can from a local bodega. I usually drink craft but I decided to give the champagne of beers a try. I poured it into a wine glass and was surprised. It's golden hue and bubbly carbonation makes it look like champagne. Other than that there is nothing special about its appearance. It smells rather sweet, probably due to corn or other adjunct. When it came to taste, I was pleasantly surprised. I can actually taste a mild hop character. This paired with its smoothness makes for a easy drinking beer. While it is not my first choice, I would choose over other American macro brew.

2.28/5  rDev -19.1%

Ah, the High Life. My favorite thing about this beer was always the commercials, but for a macro brew, it's pretty good.

Pours a yellow with a head the consistency of dish soap suds. Smooth tasting, some alcohol and malt flavoring, no real hops to speak of.

Quaffable.

2.27/5  rDev -19.5%

Given to me by a neighbor, I politely said thank you and figured I'd review it. I probably wouldn't buy it, and don't know that I've ever even had it. My new favorite beer?

I almost retch just looking at it. The color is an extremely pale yellow, piss-like if I can be crude. Filtered beyond comprehension. The head is also wispy, like dishsoap only with smaller bubbles. Some lace, which is nice, but the rest looks awful.

Aroma is no surprise: cornlike with that peculiar veggies-fried-in-sugar sweetness (call it "DMS" if you wanna be fancy). Although maybe that's an insult to corn and veggies fried in sugar. Not much else to report.

Corn and Splenda dominate the flavor, also something straw-like and the most watered down honey you can imagine. Texture is like really watery soda without any of the syrupy stickiness. Not much else to say, really. "The Champagne of Beers," says the label.

How do you rate drinkability on something like this? It's not offensive enough to pour down the drain, but also something where I'd probably choose water, soda or some other beer if served at a party. That's not snobbery--that's just attempting to stay a contented human being. Times have changed--there's no reason for beer to be this bland. So, not my new favorite beer after all...

2.27/5  rDev -19.5%

this stuff taste decent. A little sweet, however there's a sort of unpleasant background taste. The color is typical of any american macro, and so are the head stats. Sitting here writing this reveiw the morning after I only got a little bit hammered of this (*came home drank 2 bottles of water), my head throbs and beats with pain. I don't want to drink this again

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.