Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

Read the review
Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Reviews: 1,122 | Ratings: 3,635
2.26/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a glass mug.

A: Golden yellow with a thick foamy head that dissipated fairly slowly leaving a nice sticky head.
S: Malts, grains, and some hops.
T: A bit of alcohol, some citrus notes, and an odd metallic after taste.
M: Extremely light bodied, but somewhat "creamy." High carbonation.
D: This beer is a bit on the flavorless end of the spectrum. I like how it feels in the mouth, but there just isn't enough flavor to go along with it. I would choose MGD over this.

2.26/5  rDev -19.6%

Look, this stuff is the america beer for broke folks. Im not going to lie. Heck ive been to the point where my local walmart was selling this stuff near the price of budweiser, and yes it was because budweiser was on sale. Im not going to say hate this beer, but for some reason it is so hard to kill, its like putting ur mouth up to a drain full of piss and saying " Damn this stuff acutally gets you drunk" It should be less than 9.79 a 12 pack. I understand the nice bottles, and the hot little blondie we all wish we could of Fuked in highschool was on the bottle but still its not that great of a beer. Would i buy it more? Probably not, because this beer makes me want to work overtime so i can get good beer. I love this beer thou still, cause it can provide me with a cheap buzz, and its better than keystone light, and coor by far. So im so undecide on what to go to. I guess all i can say is quit drinking and save ur money for some good stuff. Then you will appreciate beer more. I waste all my money on beer, and i suffer to drink this like you know who as well. Good luck, and god bless America :)

2.26/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Miller High Life was the beer that my friends and I drank most often when we were pre-legal. That was a long, long time ago, but I remember it as being less offensive than many of the other macros and it was 'easy drinkin'. I have no doubt that my tastes have changed considerably, but when I saw a 24 oz. can for $1.00 in my local grocery, I just had to buy it. I'll be drinking it at my beer fridge temperature of 50 degrees. It will have to sink or swim on its own and will not benefit unfairly from numb taste buds.

Pale yellow-amber; a shade too dark to be called straw. The head is pure white, small-medium in size after an aggressive pour and actually lasts for a bit. It leaves a little lace to look at as well. The smell is not encouraging (I won't use the word 'nose' here). It's a funky, cooked grain, corn mash smell that does not portend good things for the flavor.

Amazingly, the beer tastes pretty much how I remember it from all those years ago; that doesn't mean that I like it however. The flavor profile is sweet and grainy, deflates quickly and leaves the palate relatively clean. The finish is sour and somewhat dry. The body is unquestionably sub-par, but at least it isn't what I'd call watery.

Miller High Life is not good beer, but it is considerably better than the Bud Light that I had a while back. At least it doesn't make me grimace and look for a suitable place to spit it out. As well, it would have benefitted from being consumed hyper-cold on a stiflingly hot day. Not 'The Champagne of Beers', not by a long shot, but one could do much, much worse.

2.25/5  rDev -19.9%

Decent head retention for a mass produced lager. Two inches of smooth white cottonball head that holds up for better than five minutes before dimishing to approximately one eighth of an inch. Thin layer of lace appears for a short period of time.

Clear pale straw color with lots of bubbles suggesting a good deal of carbonation.

Aroma is weak with a faint smell of cut grass.

Thin watery flavor with a long dry slightly floral finish. Dryness sticks around for a long time. Also possibly light struck in clear glass bottle.

To be fair, beer was purchased on clearance with age being questionable. Intend to review again at a later time.

2.25/5  rDev -19.9%

Hey what can I say, its the champagne of beers. A nice, you've been doing coke for awhile color of yellow.

Aroma is not too worthy. Adjunct city. More of that in the taste, mouthfeel, even worse aftertaste, don't really look for much tasting like any of the 4 ingredients of beer other than the water. Its got good carbonation! Drinkable, but getting the first one down if you haven't had one in awhile can be a bit of a chore.

Sometimes these are cool to drink for kitsche value. My tour of duty in Milwaukee/Marquette made drinking these kind of obligatory for awhile. There's definitely worse AAL's out there. Corn city!

2.25/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a big, frothy head. Color is a transparent gold.

Smell is kind of a honey-like malt.

First sip exemplifies what smells come from it. Carbonation gives it a good amount of bite. Overall, flavor is a bit too sour for my taste.

Because of that sour malt quality, and overall lack of nuance to the beer, I wouldn't put it in the list of one of my favorites. However, it is still somewhat decent.

2.25/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I sometimes have one because of its placement in the Back to the Future films. And apparently I need to type 250 characters, so I will say this: Why does Biff complain about the McFlys only having lite beer when he's at their house? I guess the product placement was for the entire Miller line

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Golden and clear but pretty pale. It also had a very small head.

Smell: Not much going on here. Maybe a little bit of hops, but nothing overpowering.

Taste: While it had a very smooth finish, it was pretty bland.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and watery. Nothing really to report here.

Drinkability: This might be good with food at a barbecue or something, but it's nothing special.

16 oz tall boy
A: aggressive pour into schooner and a fizz 1/8" thick is the result,
very clear light golden, no lacing.

S: smells just like a truck load of kegs, metal and beer.
T: corn, metal and weak hops.
M: It's beer
O: taste like a cheap draft beer, carbonation is OK, acceptable beer for work, lunch or a large party.

union made last time I checked, my go to high volume beer.

2.25/5  rDev -19.9%

Hmmm... I had very low expectations going into this beer... however, a friend let me try one of his... and what do ya know, I decided to review it.

A- Pale yellow... clear... dark than expected (which isn't saying much)... Highly carbonated.. Poor lacing... no head retention.

S-Light malt... yeast... Not quite as sour as I was expecting. Rather clean in scent, however, no real beer smell.

T- Hmmm... Clean? This beer lacks flavor.. seriously. However, there is a semi pleasant malt that pops in for longer than i expected. Hops is non existant, however, the typical corn macro flavor is very faint.

M- Light.. not much to say here.

D- Ummm, dare I put it on par with Labatt!?

2.24/5  rDev -20.3%

Wow. It poured a nice gold with a surprisingly thick head that left lotsa lacing.But... tis true looks can be deceiving.The aroma was non existent,the flavor followed suit, very ,very bland and totallly lacking any discernable character.My father-in-law drinks this ,that's where I got the bottle to review,Thanks Pop,but no thanks.

2.24/5  rDev -20.3%

Looks good for a lager - plenty of head and thick lacing

smell is corn grain smell, not skunky but almost non present

taste is fairly clean but doesn't have any depth and finishes a little bitter with bready light buiscit notes - not nice but not awful

overall it's better than some cheap American lagers but not near as good as pbr

2.24/5  rDev -20.3%

A- You know this doesnt really look too bad. There is a small whispy head and Im actually getting some lacing! The beer is obviously very pale, nearly no color at all. There is a bright yellow hue though. Lots of lively effervescence feeding that pseudo-head.

S- Nearly no smell. I think that might be a good thing. What I can pick up is full of corn adjuncts. Its very sweet smelling.

T- Taste is probably one of the better of the common macros. Really sweet still however. Its a sugary sweetness. There are grassy and lemony notes. Im not sure if this is from hops or not as typically beers like this have a very very mild hopping.

M- Strangely in between dry and slick. Its dry at first then finishes oddly slick. Very sharp carbonation and almost no body.

D- Manufactured to finish with no aftertaste. That helps the drinkablility. This is not an absolutely gross beer like many of its sisters and competitors. As far as being "The champagne of beers"... They have never heard of DeuS.

2.23/5  rDev -20.6%

Here's to the HIGH life!!!

This one pours out a clear, bright yellow-gold with plenty of fizzle and a fine-lacy white head that is scattred and quick to dissipate.

The aroma is that of adjuct-malt scent, dry corn and rice with a sweet whiff of maltniess. This one has a bitter, chemy ending. curious!

The flavor starts out with a clean, crisp, thin malt flavor of light corn, rice and barley. Then flows in the sour, nearly skunky hop effect which lead to a bitter, cringe-face finish.

The feel is classic, light, crisp to start and quickly becomes less active and less appealing, that's why these puppies are served COLD.

Pretty standard fair for a Macro without too much "off' aspects.

2.23/5  rDev -20.6%

I usually can drink the hell out of these but it wasn't happening for me tonight. Maybe because I was actually paying attention to it. Pale golden with almost no head but highly carbonated and the bubbles kept coming. Wasn't much of a smell at all. Tasted weak and watered down; a little floral to me. Smooth beer that you can definitely drink while mowing the lawn.

2.23/5  rDev -20.6%

This beer pours a stunning pee yellow with foam that looks like tiny exploding marshmellow.

Smell is full of cut grass, with metallic robot foot odor detectable.

Complex taste of corn syrup, adjuncts, and cut grass.

Aftertaste of alcoholic rice cakes.

Try this beer if you have no money or dont want to get drunk while drinking a 12 pack.

2.23/5  rDev -20.6%

Growing up in WI Miller is part of your heritage (especially in Milwaukee where I grew up), but after you grow out of your need to "respect" where you came from it becomes harder to enjoy a beer that has so little taste, at least to the darker beers I have come to enjoy. Oddly enough one of the only people I know to still regularly order Miller High Life is my older brother. For me it is too light and doesn't leave much on the palet. The retro long neck bottle and clean golden color (as the bottle is clear) let you know the beer is fresh so on a hot day it still can hit the spot, but in a bar when I want to enjoy my beer it doesn't do it for me. The taste is still classic Miller and I respect the history, so I will still happily drink a High Life if offered one, but I will not go out of my way to order one on my own.

This being my first review I wanted to go with a beer I know and respect. Overall High Life may be called the "champagne" of beers, but is more like a sparkling white wine, not excatly from the Champagne region of France if you know what I mean!

2.23/5  rDev -20.6%

This is not my first choice when it comes to the classic american pale lagers but I do get the itch every once in a while. Yesterday my friend brought over a 12 pack of bottles for the Fiesta Bowl and after drinking a few porters I made the switch. I had two of these beauties right out of the bottle, they were cold, refreshing, and delicious! The key to the high life for me is to stop after two or three.

2.22/5  rDev -21%

Ahhh, the champagne of beers. Champagne is named after a world renowned grape producing region of France...and this is made in Milwaukee home of some of the shittiest beers ever brewed. Whatever. Picked this up at a gas station...$1.19 for 24oz.

A - Light gold / straw-colored just like every other macro lager. Very clear with a thin cap of fizzy bubbles.

S - Sweet corny adjuncts are unoffensive and uninteresting. Smells sweeter than most other macros.

T - Wow. For the style and price this is pretty damn good! It's sweeter than other cheapo beers, but not too syrupy like a malt liquor. I can taste the aluminum from the can though. This might be slightly better in a 40oz bottle. Cornflake cereal is really the only flavor that comes to mind. I like cornflakes.

M - Light, fizzy, and watery. Exactly what I expected. Very, very, very thirst quenching. Leaves a nice aftertaste that is the slightest bit hoppy.

D - I could guzzle this stuff on a hot day. Excellent cheapo summer beer if you want to slake your thirst and are on a tight budget.

2.22/5  rDev -21%

If this is the champagne of beers, it's that cheap champagne found at university student's new years party. Pours yellow, with a thin film for head. Smells of grain, corn, and a bit of grass. Tastes plain. Somewhat sweet and malty. Very astringent. Personally, I found it undrinkable. Not that it was that bad, but it gave me terrible gas afterwards.

2.21/5  rDev -21.4%

Nothing beyond the typical american beers and certainly does not deserve its motto: "the champagne of beers".

It pours an average golden tone, quite pale hinting a coloured water-like appearance, with an average foam head that fades in a few minutes. No defining or appealing smell is present throughout the experience. When drank, it appears rather watery and its most present flavour is a very, very mild alcohol feeling above its scarce sweetness or bitterness. That reduces the drinkability as well, because you can easily go get tap water and save yourself the trip.

2.21/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Drank this bad boy right from the can

The body is a clear golden yellow with a fluffy white head. Loads of visible carbonation. I drank mine from the can, but others at this backyard shindig poured theirs into a glass. The aroma is of corn and grains, maybe a little green apple. The flavor profile mimics the nose. Green apple skins, corn starch, and grains. Extremely bland, lacking any real flavors. Light-bodied, high carbonation. This is probably a little more palatable than others in its style, but it is still not very desireable.

2.21/5  rDev -21.4%

I am apparently completely losing my palate for these kinds of beers, this beer was completely undrinkable. It is always "fun" to visit my in laws, I get to try all these shitty beers that I would never pay for. I drank about 1/3 of a bottle of this and then gave it to my Father-in-law because I had had enough, never again.

Beer is yellow and effervescent with a white head with no retention, no lacing, strong carbonation.

Aroma is grainy, sweet, corn.

Beer is light and watery with a strong grainy aftertaste that really dominated the beer on the taste side of things. It is otherwise flavorless and the aftertaste is really unpleasant. I sort of hate it, the second and third drink do not improve the beer and the after taste goes more vegetal until it tastes like I'm drinking cream corn and boiled cabbage. Nope, not a repeat.

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%

This stuff is bubbly, straw yellow, with a white head that doesn't last (Who'da thought for an american macro?). I guess the only reason why I decided to review this was because I had a couple because they were cheap tonight and I was grossed out by how metallic it tasted. Had it on tap for a dollar per 10 oz. Very metallic certainly more hops than your average american macro (noble hops I think)... but overly metallic. Not suggested, unless you're on a mission to not be sober and have few means to reach such a goal. On one good note however I did see this in my grandfather's fridge when I was a kid and I have a lot of respect for him so the lady on the moon is at least a reminder of him.

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I know everyone has had this, but I wanted to review it anyway because this is my go to "backyard beer". Got a 40oz for $2.00 at my local package store.

A: Appearance is of a light straw color with a 1 1/2 in soapy whit head that fades quickly.

S: Smell is of wet wheat grass, some bitter sweet malts, and maybe some corn or rice in there.

T: A little malty, some sweet corn taste and some grain flavor with a crisp finish.

M: Medium carbonation, only drinkable if cold. As soon as this beer warms up, it falls apart.

O: For an American adjunct lager, its not a bad beer at all. Better drinking it out of the bottle than a glass. Good beer for after a had days work in the summertime!

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.