Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
good
Read the review
Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Reviews: 1,111 | Ratings: 3,601
2.25/5  rDev -19.9%

Hmmm... I had very low expectations going into this beer... however, a friend let me try one of his... and what do ya know, I decided to review it.

A- Pale yellow... clear... dark than expected (which isn't saying much)... Highly carbonated.. Poor lacing... no head retention.

S-Light malt... yeast... Not quite as sour as I was expecting. Rather clean in scent, however, no real beer smell.

T- Hmmm... Clean? This beer lacks flavor.. seriously. However, there is a semi pleasant malt that pops in for longer than i expected. Hops is non existant, however, the typical corn macro flavor is very faint.

M- Light.. not much to say here.

D- Ummm, dare I put it on par with Labatt!?

2.24/5  rDev -20.3%

Wow. It poured a nice gold with a surprisingly thick head that left lotsa lacing.But... tis true looks can be deceiving.The aroma was non existent,the flavor followed suit, very ,very bland and totallly lacking any discernable character.My father-in-law drinks this ,that's where I got the bottle to review,Thanks Pop,but no thanks.

2.24/5  rDev -20.3%

Looks good for a lager - plenty of head and thick lacing

smell is corn grain smell, not skunky but almost non present

taste is fairly clean but doesn't have any depth and finishes a little bitter with bready light buiscit notes - not nice but not awful

overall it's better than some cheap American lagers but not near as good as pbr

2.24/5  rDev -20.3%

A- You know this doesnt really look too bad. There is a small whispy head and Im actually getting some lacing! The beer is obviously very pale, nearly no color at all. There is a bright yellow hue though. Lots of lively effervescence feeding that pseudo-head.

S- Nearly no smell. I think that might be a good thing. What I can pick up is full of corn adjuncts. Its very sweet smelling.

T- Taste is probably one of the better of the common macros. Really sweet still however. Its a sugary sweetness. There are grassy and lemony notes. Im not sure if this is from hops or not as typically beers like this have a very very mild hopping.

M- Strangely in between dry and slick. Its dry at first then finishes oddly slick. Very sharp carbonation and almost no body.

D- Manufactured to finish with no aftertaste. That helps the drinkablility. This is not an absolutely gross beer like many of its sisters and competitors. As far as being "The champagne of beers"... They have never heard of DeuS.

2.23/5  rDev -20.6%

Here's to the HIGH life!!!

This one pours out a clear, bright yellow-gold with plenty of fizzle and a fine-lacy white head that is scattred and quick to dissipate.

The aroma is that of adjuct-malt scent, dry corn and rice with a sweet whiff of maltniess. This one has a bitter, chemy ending. curious!

The flavor starts out with a clean, crisp, thin malt flavor of light corn, rice and barley. Then flows in the sour, nearly skunky hop effect which lead to a bitter, cringe-face finish.

The feel is classic, light, crisp to start and quickly becomes less active and less appealing, that's why these puppies are served COLD.

Pretty standard fair for a Macro without too much "off' aspects.

2.23/5  rDev -20.6%

I usually can drink the hell out of these but it wasn't happening for me tonight. Maybe because I was actually paying attention to it. Pale golden with almost no head but highly carbonated and the bubbles kept coming. Wasn't much of a smell at all. Tasted weak and watered down; a little floral to me. Smooth beer that you can definitely drink while mowing the lawn.

2.23/5  rDev -20.6%

This beer pours a stunning pee yellow with foam that looks like tiny exploding marshmellow.

Smell is full of cut grass, with metallic robot foot odor detectable.

Complex taste of corn syrup, adjuncts, and cut grass.

Aftertaste of alcoholic rice cakes.

Try this beer if you have no money or dont want to get drunk while drinking a 12 pack.

2.23/5  rDev -20.6%

Growing up in WI Miller is part of your heritage (especially in Milwaukee where I grew up), but after you grow out of your need to "respect" where you came from it becomes harder to enjoy a beer that has so little taste, at least to the darker beers I have come to enjoy. Oddly enough one of the only people I know to still regularly order Miller High Life is my older brother. For me it is too light and doesn't leave much on the palet. The retro long neck bottle and clean golden color (as the bottle is clear) let you know the beer is fresh so on a hot day it still can hit the spot, but in a bar when I want to enjoy my beer it doesn't do it for me. The taste is still classic Miller and I respect the history, so I will still happily drink a High Life if offered one, but I will not go out of my way to order one on my own.

This being my first review I wanted to go with a beer I know and respect. Overall High Life may be called the "champagne" of beers, but is more like a sparkling white wine, not excatly from the Champagne region of France if you know what I mean!

2.23/5  rDev -20.6%

This is not my first choice when it comes to the classic american pale lagers but I do get the itch every once in a while. Yesterday my friend brought over a 12 pack of bottles for the Fiesta Bowl and after drinking a few porters I made the switch. I had two of these beauties right out of the bottle, they were cold, refreshing, and delicious! The key to the high life for me is to stop after two or three.

2.22/5  rDev -21%

Ahhh, the champagne of beers. Champagne is named after a world renowned grape producing region of France...and this is made in Milwaukee home of some of the shittiest beers ever brewed. Whatever. Picked this up at a gas station...$1.19 for 24oz.

A - Light gold / straw-colored just like every other macro lager. Very clear with a thin cap of fizzy bubbles.

S - Sweet corny adjuncts are unoffensive and uninteresting. Smells sweeter than most other macros.

T - Wow. For the style and price this is pretty damn good! It's sweeter than other cheapo beers, but not too syrupy like a malt liquor. I can taste the aluminum from the can though. This might be slightly better in a 40oz bottle. Cornflake cereal is really the only flavor that comes to mind. I like cornflakes.

M - Light, fizzy, and watery. Exactly what I expected. Very, very, very thirst quenching. Leaves a nice aftertaste that is the slightest bit hoppy.

D - I could guzzle this stuff on a hot day. Excellent cheapo summer beer if you want to slake your thirst and are on a tight budget.

2.22/5  rDev -21%

If this is the champagne of beers, it's that cheap champagne found at university student's new years party. Pours yellow, with a thin film for head. Smells of grain, corn, and a bit of grass. Tastes plain. Somewhat sweet and malty. Very astringent. Personally, I found it undrinkable. Not that it was that bad, but it gave me terrible gas afterwards.

2.21/5  rDev -21.4%

Nothing beyond the typical american beers and certainly does not deserve its motto: "the champagne of beers".

It pours an average golden tone, quite pale hinting a coloured water-like appearance, with an average foam head that fades in a few minutes. No defining or appealing smell is present throughout the experience. When drank, it appears rather watery and its most present flavour is a very, very mild alcohol feeling above its scarce sweetness or bitterness. That reduces the drinkability as well, because you can easily go get tap water and save yourself the trip.

2.21/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Drank this bad boy right from the can

The body is a clear golden yellow with a fluffy white head. Loads of visible carbonation. I drank mine from the can, but others at this backyard shindig poured theirs into a glass. The aroma is of corn and grains, maybe a little green apple. The flavor profile mimics the nose. Green apple skins, corn starch, and grains. Extremely bland, lacking any real flavors. Light-bodied, high carbonation. This is probably a little more palatable than others in its style, but it is still not very desireable.

2.21/5  rDev -21.4%

I am apparently completely losing my palate for these kinds of beers, this beer was completely undrinkable. It is always "fun" to visit my in laws, I get to try all these shitty beers that I would never pay for. I drank about 1/3 of a bottle of this and then gave it to my Father-in-law because I had had enough, never again.

Beer is yellow and effervescent with a white head with no retention, no lacing, strong carbonation.

Aroma is grainy, sweet, corn.

Beer is light and watery with a strong grainy aftertaste that really dominated the beer on the taste side of things. It is otherwise flavorless and the aftertaste is really unpleasant. I sort of hate it, the second and third drink do not improve the beer and the after taste goes more vegetal until it tastes like I'm drinking cream corn and boiled cabbage. Nope, not a repeat.

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%

This stuff is bubbly, straw yellow, with a white head that doesn't last (Who'da thought for an american macro?). I guess the only reason why I decided to review this was because I had a couple because they were cheap tonight and I was grossed out by how metallic it tasted. Had it on tap for a dollar per 10 oz. Very metallic certainly more hops than your average american macro (noble hops I think)... but overly metallic. Not suggested, unless you're on a mission to not be sober and have few means to reach such a goal. On one good note however I did see this in my grandfather's fridge when I was a kid and I have a lot of respect for him so the lady on the moon is at least a reminder of him.

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I know everyone has had this, but I wanted to review it anyway because this is my go to "backyard beer". Got a 40oz for $2.00 at my local package store.

A: Appearance is of a light straw color with a 1 1/2 in soapy whit head that fades quickly.

S: Smell is of wet wheat grass, some bitter sweet malts, and maybe some corn or rice in there.

T: A little malty, some sweet corn taste and some grain flavor with a crisp finish.

M: Medium carbonation, only drinkable if cold. As soon as this beer warms up, it falls apart.

O: For an American adjunct lager, its not a bad beer at all. Better drinking it out of the bottle than a glass. Good beer for after a had days work in the summertime!

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Bought a six pack of this tonight to watch playoff baseball, figuring if I suffered by drinking macrolagar, the Mets would even out the karma by punking the Dodgers to go up 2-0. It worked out for me on a baseball level...beerwise, lets just say I toughed out six innings.

Typical macro taste and smell here. Lots of adjunct in the nose, but also some hop action. Lots of carbonation bubbles. Almost respectable head. Taste is mild and mouthfeel is pure seltzer. Aftertaste is fairly terrible, gritty and burning in the throat. You could do worse with macro, and it is cheap, but I'll move up at least to Yeungling next time and let the Mets' bats do the work..

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured from can into my trusty irish pint glass, big fluffy snow white head with remarkable lacing down glass.The pale pale straw color was less than impressive.
This brew reeeeks of american adjunct grains,corn & rice prolly.
Thin and over carbonated mouth on this one.
Well all of that said it drinks better than all else but still a little weak.

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%

Drank straight out of a can.

A: You know the term "fizzy yellow beer"? Well, that's this in a nutshell.

S: Honestly, smells like nothing.

T: A lot like the smell. Incredibly inoffensive and nigh flavorless.

M: Pretty much like soda.

O: This is a beer that does its purpose, and does it relatively well. This is not a beer you taste or dream about. Go pick up some Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock if that's what you want. This is a beer you drink large quantities of without thinking about it, while watching the Redskins whiff against the Eagles (damn Rex Grossman!)

Of course, the real question is, would you want to? I know I don't.

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%

Just recently drank this straight from the can, and I can't comment on it's appearance, but based on having it plenty of other times, it's a dark clear yellow with a two-finger head, no retention or lacing.

The smell is of typical corn adjuncts and metal, basically a more pungent Miller Lite.

Taste: Metallic, corny adjuncts, tiny bit of hops. Very corny.

Mouthfeel: Light body and moderate carbonation, easy drinker.

Overall: I certainly wouldn't go seeking this out, but if handed it at a party I'd still drink it, but just for the buzz.

2.19/5  rDev -22.1%

12oz bottle, from a grocery store in Helena, MT.

This beer pours a perfectly clear pale straw colour, with two fingers of thin foamy bone-white head, which leaves some decent sedimentary rock lace around the glass as it fades away. It smells of sweet adjunct grain, some mild acetone, and a dead grass/weediness character. The taste is a mild blurry graininess, fading sweet nail polish remover, and even more elusive weedy hops. The carbonation is moderate, but just on the soft side, the body better than I had bargained for - not quite middle of the road, but pushing for it, which leads to an only timidly cloying smoothness. It finishes off-dry, thanks to the not-going-away bland grain and subtle sugary booze sidekick.

Champagne of Beers? Sure, why the hell not, in a market where Bud is the King of Beer, this only makes soul-killing sense. Since I didn't grow up and throw up with this particular icon, I have no such justification for giving this nostalgia points. A bland, albeit generally inoffensive all-American lager. There, lynch mob averted.

2.19/5  rDev -22.1%

16oz can to glass

A- Pours a clear yellow with a huge three finger white, foamy head. Alot of lacing.

S- Yeasty smell, nothing complex. Some butteryness, almost popcorn scent.

T- Matches the scent, yeasty and buttery. Corn taste is present and not good.

M- No comment.

D- Average.

2.18/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I had this in a blind tasting with Budweiser, Miller, and Coors.

The aroma has sweet corn and grainy qualities.

The flavor follows with a sweet corn water from the can flavor. There’s a significant malt backbone, which gives the beer an advantage compared to the other three. However it still has that stale paper and cardboard flavor.

If you can get passed the sweet corn flavor, then it is better than Budweiser. It definitely stands above Coors however, with both using corn as an adjunct.

2.18/5  rDev -22.4%

man, i used to love how this beer looked in the clear bottle and loved the retro coolness. now i know they do some frankenstein shit on the hops so they don't skunk out, but whatever. have had this more times than i care to admit...$10 30-packs were a fridge staple after college. i used to keep a glass frozen for this beer, since it is almost devoid of flavor you might as well drink it super cold. there is flavor, however. that slightly sweet corn adjunct flavor and aroma i used to love. no hops or malt body to speak of. light, pale, and fizzy.

2.18/5  rDev -22.4%

It is essencially the upgrade version of Miller Lite. I happen to enyoy the Miller products for the big 3 beers in America. I am not that impressed but will pick this one over Coors or Bud. I cannot say that this was a beer I thourghouly enjoyed but will say it is not a hangover beer.Decent job miller

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.