Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

poor
good
Read the review
Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Reviews: 1,133 | Ratings: 3,685
2.28/5  rDev -19.1%

I brought a 24 oz can from a local bodega. I usually drink craft but I decided to give the champagne of beers a try. I poured it into a wine glass and was surprised. It's golden hue and bubbly carbonation makes it look like champagne. Other than that there is nothing special about its appearance. It smells rather sweet, probably due to corn or other adjunct. When it came to taste, I was pleasantly surprised. I can actually taste a mild hop character. This paired with its smoothness makes for a easy drinking beer. While it is not my first choice, I would choose over other American macro brew.

2.28/5  rDev -19.1%

Ah, the High Life. My favorite thing about this beer was always the commercials, but for a macro brew, it's pretty good.

Pours a yellow with a head the consistency of dish soap suds. Smooth tasting, some alcohol and malt flavoring, no real hops to speak of.

Quaffable.

2.27/5  rDev -19.5%

Given to me by a neighbor, I politely said thank you and figured I'd review it. I probably wouldn't buy it, and don't know that I've ever even had it. My new favorite beer?

I almost retch just looking at it. The color is an extremely pale yellow, piss-like if I can be crude. Filtered beyond comprehension. The head is also wispy, like dishsoap only with smaller bubbles. Some lace, which is nice, but the rest looks awful.

Aroma is no surprise: cornlike with that peculiar veggies-fried-in-sugar sweetness (call it "DMS" if you wanna be fancy). Although maybe that's an insult to corn and veggies fried in sugar. Not much else to report.

Corn and Splenda dominate the flavor, also something straw-like and the most watered down honey you can imagine. Texture is like really watery soda without any of the syrupy stickiness. Not much else to say, really. "The Champagne of Beers," says the label.

How do you rate drinkability on something like this? It's not offensive enough to pour down the drain, but also something where I'd probably choose water, soda or some other beer if served at a party. That's not snobbery--that's just attempting to stay a contented human being. Times have changed--there's no reason for beer to be this bland. So, not my new favorite beer after all...

2.27/5  rDev -19.5%

this stuff taste decent. A little sweet, however there's a sort of unpleasant background taste. The color is typical of any american macro, and so are the head stats. Sitting here writing this reveiw the morning after I only got a little bit hammered of this (*came home drank 2 bottles of water), my head throbs and beats with pain. I don't want to drink this again

2.26/5  rDev -19.9%

12oz camo can poured into a pint glass. Ya know, so it's classy.

Pours a clear piss yellow with a decent 1 finger head and a tinge of lacing, but this all fades fast.

Taste is very watery and bland, very little to it. Light and smooth and easy drinking is it's only redeemable characteristic. No bittereness or any trace of hops to it. Ok for the style, but skip it.

2.26/5  rDev -19.9%

Pint can from my dad at the first bbq of the spring.

Appearance. Pours a light yellow with two fingers of fluffy white head that doesn`t last too long.

Smell. Light grains, corn, a little alcohol and a hint of grassy hops.

Taste. Sweet light grain, some light fruit and a hint of grassy hops in the end. Everything except the sweetness is pretty weak.

Mouthfeel. Light body and medium carbonation with a little alcohol presence. Thin and crisp but feels like a low quality beer.

Overall. Tried to be objective here but there just isn`t much to this beer. Just sweet and bubbly.

12 ounce bottle
Poured into a glass
Medium to average head
Light gold color
Interesting smell and taste, one that I don't prefer

Overall I would not recommend this beer. If it is the only choice, then it is definitely drinkable, but don't go actively seek out this one.

2.26/5  rDev -19.9%

I just tryed this beer the other day after much curiousity. I have been searching for a cheaper session beer. Cheaper than Budweiser and MGD, $11.99 for a 30-pk.

The beer looked typical of Miller as I poured it into a glass, smelled weird though. This beer also had a frothy taste which felt comfortable against the palate. Unruly aftertaste. If this beer starts to get warm, it is almost impossible to stomach. Warmth brings out many weird flavors. After two of these, they became challenging to take down. When cold, the first two go down pretty easy.

If you're looking for the bargain beer, go for Pabst Blue Ribbon instead.

2.26/5  rDev -19.9%

Super clear and fizzy, this looks a bit darker than normal urine. Not a totally gross looking beer. Nice foamy head. Smells of adjuncts, mostly corn. No hops noticeable. Taste is the same, a little sour. Feels thin and watery, of course. A little worse than I thought it would be, but mostly just...meh.

2.26/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 12oz can into 16oz Roanoke College American pint glass.

Appearance: Pours clear golden with a very large white head that dissipates slowly and leaves a bit of lace.

Smell: Malts and grains, with hints of corn.

Taste: Light on flavor, but has hints of sweet malts, grain, and corn. Some hop hints in the finish, but not much.

Mouthfeel: Light body with heavy carbonation- but it is refreshing.

Drinkability: Nothing special at all- good for a quick refresher or to get drunk. Other than that, should be avoided- but I doubt anyone here needed me to tell them that.

2.26/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a glass mug.

A: Golden yellow with a thick foamy head that dissipated fairly slowly leaving a nice sticky head.
S: Malts, grains, and some hops.
T: A bit of alcohol, some citrus notes, and an odd metallic after taste.
M: Extremely light bodied, but somewhat "creamy." High carbonation.
D: This beer is a bit on the flavorless end of the spectrum. I like how it feels in the mouth, but there just isn't enough flavor to go along with it. I would choose MGD over this.

2.26/5  rDev -19.9%

Look, this stuff is the america beer for broke folks. Im not going to lie. Heck ive been to the point where my local walmart was selling this stuff near the price of budweiser, and yes it was because budweiser was on sale. Im not going to say hate this beer, but for some reason it is so hard to kill, its like putting ur mouth up to a drain full of piss and saying " Damn this stuff acutally gets you drunk" It should be less than 9.79 a 12 pack. I understand the nice bottles, and the hot little blondie we all wish we could of Fuked in highschool was on the bottle but still its not that great of a beer. Would i buy it more? Probably not, because this beer makes me want to work overtime so i can get good beer. I love this beer thou still, cause it can provide me with a cheap buzz, and its better than keystone light, and coor by far. So im so undecide on what to go to. I guess all i can say is quit drinking and save ur money for some good stuff. Then you will appreciate beer more. I waste all my money on beer, and i suffer to drink this like you know who as well. Good luck, and god bless America :)

2.26/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Miller High Life was the beer that my friends and I drank most often when we were pre-legal. That was a long, long time ago, but I remember it as being less offensive than many of the other macros and it was 'easy drinkin'. I have no doubt that my tastes have changed considerably, but when I saw a 24 oz. can for $1.00 in my local grocery, I just had to buy it. I'll be drinking it at my beer fridge temperature of 50 degrees. It will have to sink or swim on its own and will not benefit unfairly from numb taste buds.

Pale yellow-amber; a shade too dark to be called straw. The head is pure white, small-medium in size after an aggressive pour and actually lasts for a bit. It leaves a little lace to look at as well. The smell is not encouraging (I won't use the word 'nose' here). It's a funky, cooked grain, corn mash smell that does not portend good things for the flavor.

Amazingly, the beer tastes pretty much how I remember it from all those years ago; that doesn't mean that I like it however. The flavor profile is sweet and grainy, deflates quickly and leaves the palate relatively clean. The finish is sour and somewhat dry. The body is unquestionably sub-par, but at least it isn't what I'd call watery.

Miller High Life is not good beer, but it is considerably better than the Bud Light that I had a while back. At least it doesn't make me grimace and look for a suitable place to spit it out. As well, it would have benefitted from being consumed hyper-cold on a stiflingly hot day. Not 'The Champagne of Beers', not by a long shot, but one could do much, much worse.

2.25/5  rDev -20.2%

Decent head retention for a mass produced lager. Two inches of smooth white cottonball head that holds up for better than five minutes before dimishing to approximately one eighth of an inch. Thin layer of lace appears for a short period of time.

Clear pale straw color with lots of bubbles suggesting a good deal of carbonation.

Aroma is weak with a faint smell of cut grass.

Thin watery flavor with a long dry slightly floral finish. Dryness sticks around for a long time. Also possibly light struck in clear glass bottle.

To be fair, beer was purchased on clearance with age being questionable. Intend to review again at a later time.

2.25/5  rDev -20.2%

Hey what can I say, its the champagne of beers. A nice, you've been doing coke for awhile color of yellow.

Aroma is not too worthy. Adjunct city. More of that in the taste, mouthfeel, even worse aftertaste, don't really look for much tasting like any of the 4 ingredients of beer other than the water. Its got good carbonation! Drinkable, but getting the first one down if you haven't had one in awhile can be a bit of a chore.

Sometimes these are cool to drink for kitsche value. My tour of duty in Milwaukee/Marquette made drinking these kind of obligatory for awhile. There's definitely worse AAL's out there. Corn city!

2.25/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a big, frothy head. Color is a transparent gold.

Smell is kind of a honey-like malt.

First sip exemplifies what smells come from it. Carbonation gives it a good amount of bite. Overall, flavor is a bit too sour for my taste.

Because of that sour malt quality, and overall lack of nuance to the beer, I wouldn't put it in the list of one of my favorites. However, it is still somewhat decent.

2.25/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I sometimes have one because of its placement in the Back to the Future films. And apparently I need to type 250 characters, so I will say this: Why does Biff complain about the McFlys only having lite beer when he's at their house? I guess the product placement was for the entire Miller line

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Golden and clear but pretty pale. It also had a very small head.

Smell: Not much going on here. Maybe a little bit of hops, but nothing overpowering.

Taste: While it had a very smooth finish, it was pretty bland.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and watery. Nothing really to report here.

Drinkability: This might be good with food at a barbecue or something, but it's nothing special.

16 oz tall boy
A: aggressive pour into schooner and a fizz 1/8" thick is the result,
very clear light golden, no lacing.

S: smells just like a truck load of kegs, metal and beer.
T: corn, metal and weak hops.
M: It's beer
O: taste like a cheap draft beer, carbonation is OK, acceptable beer for work, lunch or a large party.

union made last time I checked, my go to high volume beer.

2.25/5  rDev -20.2%

Hmmm... I had very low expectations going into this beer... however, a friend let me try one of his... and what do ya know, I decided to review it.

A- Pale yellow... clear... dark than expected (which isn't saying much)... Highly carbonated.. Poor lacing... no head retention.

S-Light malt... yeast... Not quite as sour as I was expecting. Rather clean in scent, however, no real beer smell.

T- Hmmm... Clean? This beer lacks flavor.. seriously. However, there is a semi pleasant malt that pops in for longer than i expected. Hops is non existant, however, the typical corn macro flavor is very faint.

M- Light.. not much to say here.

D- Ummm, dare I put it on par with Labatt!?

2.24/5  rDev -20.6%

Wow. It poured a nice gold with a surprisingly thick head that left lotsa lacing.But... tis true looks can be deceiving.The aroma was non existent,the flavor followed suit, very ,very bland and totallly lacking any discernable character.My father-in-law drinks this ,that's where I got the bottle to review,Thanks Pop,but no thanks.

2.24/5  rDev -20.6%

Looks good for a lager - plenty of head and thick lacing

smell is corn grain smell, not skunky but almost non present

taste is fairly clean but doesn't have any depth and finishes a little bitter with bready light buiscit notes - not nice but not awful

overall it's better than some cheap American lagers but not near as good as pbr

2.24/5  rDev -20.6%

A- You know this doesnt really look too bad. There is a small whispy head and Im actually getting some lacing! The beer is obviously very pale, nearly no color at all. There is a bright yellow hue though. Lots of lively effervescence feeding that pseudo-head.

S- Nearly no smell. I think that might be a good thing. What I can pick up is full of corn adjuncts. Its very sweet smelling.

T- Taste is probably one of the better of the common macros. Really sweet still however. Its a sugary sweetness. There are grassy and lemony notes. Im not sure if this is from hops or not as typically beers like this have a very very mild hopping.

M- Strangely in between dry and slick. Its dry at first then finishes oddly slick. Very sharp carbonation and almost no body.

D- Manufactured to finish with no aftertaste. That helps the drinkablility. This is not an absolutely gross beer like many of its sisters and competitors. As far as being "The champagne of beers"... They have never heard of DeuS.

2.23/5  rDev -20.9%

Here's to the HIGH life!!!

This one pours out a clear, bright yellow-gold with plenty of fizzle and a fine-lacy white head that is scattred and quick to dissipate.

The aroma is that of adjuct-malt scent, dry corn and rice with a sweet whiff of maltniess. This one has a bitter, chemy ending. curious!

The flavor starts out with a clean, crisp, thin malt flavor of light corn, rice and barley. Then flows in the sour, nearly skunky hop effect which lead to a bitter, cringe-face finish.

The feel is classic, light, crisp to start and quickly becomes less active and less appealing, that's why these puppies are served COLD.

Pretty standard fair for a Macro without too much "off' aspects.

2.23/5  rDev -20.9%

I usually can drink the hell out of these but it wasn't happening for me tonight. Maybe because I was actually paying attention to it. Pale golden with almost no head but highly carbonated and the bubbles kept coming. Wasn't much of a smell at all. Tasted weak and watered down; a little floral to me. Smooth beer that you can definitely drink while mowing the lawn.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.