Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

Read the review
Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Reviews: 1,122 | Ratings: 3,635
3.08/5  rDev +9.6%

Ok this is a nice cheap beer. Once again this beer isn't meant to be savored. It's pretty sweet and i'd agree has a bit of a corn undertone. Pours a decent head that holds well. But this beer goes down easy and is easy on the pockets as well. I end up having this every once in awhile.

3.63/5  rDev +29.2%

You know when you come home from work and you want something light, crisp, refreshing, thirst-quenching, and you don't want to feel guilty for not paying attention to the flavor? High Life. You know when you don't want to have to let your beer warm up a few degrees when you take it out of the fridge? High Life. You know what I wish were served at ballparks? High Life. You know what's a pretty decent value for the money? High Life.

Perfectly clear with above-average head. Unlike most other macro-brewed Light Lagers, High Life actually has something in the way of aroma: faint, semi-sweet malt, a trace of adjunct, and a light whiff of hops. Okay, so it's still not terribly much of an aroma. The flavor opens up with a hint of tartness -- this should not be confused with the characteristic acetaldehyde flavors found in Budweiser. Things dry out in short time with an easy finish consisting of malt and light bitterness. High Life leaves you thirsty for more.

You could do a lot worse than High Life. Under the right circumstances, this is a beer that I don't mind drinking a great many of in one sitting.

UPDATE: I have, in recent weeks, made a conscious effort to keep my fridge stocked with bottled High Life at all times. I have always enjoyed HL, but now I seem to have decided that it will be my default beer for when I'd rather be refreshed than worry about having to pay attention to flavor or make any sort of investment to that effect. Indeed, there are many nights when I come home from work late and I'd be just as happy to have two or three HLs while mindlessly watching TV as I would with a high-quality specialty brew that I can sip and enjoy for a while. I will note, also, that as a rule I only drink HL out of the bottle. Unlike any other beer I drink, I see no point in pouring HL into a glass, as I will not find much beauty in its appearance, nor do I feel compelled to open up its nose, as I will not be put in awe by its bouquet. No, give me cold HL in the bottle (where it'll stay colder longer, by the way), and I'm all right.

2.5/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was a clear yellow highly carbonated brew with a one finger head that was quite fizzy and died away to athe thinnest of films within a minute.

Aroma was slightly sweet, grains and corn.

Taste was sweet, corn and grains with the merest wisp of hops.

Mouthfeel was thin and fizzy, almost like soda water (and didn't seem like it was far from that either).

Drinkability... not good. Although the price is right, if you want a cheap buzz. I'd prefer Steel Reserve, personally.

3.79/5  rDev +34.9%

Pours a clear, pale straw color with the biggest, fluffiest head you'll ever see on a macro. Very surprising, intricate lacing on this. Smells of grains, corn, and grape drink. Pretty much run-of-the-mill there. Flavor is, again, very grainy and corn-like. Not too sweet like a lot of macros, however. Not offensive at all, and, in fact, it's very refreshing and clean-tasting. Mouthfeel is extremely smooth for the style; it doesn't cling to the palate like some others (MGD, etc.). Highly drinkable macro lager, and definately my favorite for when I don't want to spend a lot of money on beer.

Have a snooty opinion on my rating, if you want, but, as far as style goes, this is a great beer.

3.76/5  rDev +33.8%

appearance: light yellow color. the head is huge on this cat, bigger than many "craft brews."

smell: smells like beer, warm grains

taste: light grainy texture, with a mild hop backing. a bit of sweetness too.

mouthfeel and drinkability: nice light mouthfeel, mixed with a fantastic drinkability. not a bad beer by any means, if it only had a touch more bitterness it would be even better. and yeah the price is right at 9.99 a 24 pack.

3.28/5  rDev +16.7%

this, in my opinion, is easily the best of the 'megabrewery' american offerings. you can tell its 'one of those' beers but its really not all that bad. like the others, it looks like urine, smells almost like urine, but it doesnt taste like urine...it definitely has a 'champagne' taste to it, i can't argue with their motto lol. to me its extremely similar to Duvel, but i dare say, to me it is better. perfect for buying cans in bulk and drinking a the beach or the lake.

3.08/5  rDev +9.6%

I'm not going to bash this beer. Yes, there are indeed better beers out there and this inexpensive brew won't win any awards. But it has its upsides.

First, there is a daring hops presence that can't be found in any other mass-market beers. Not bad, actually. It also isn't soda-sweet like Bud or Miller. It's actually trying to taste like something interesting. Almost floral. While I don't care for the slummy "champagne of beers" marketing, this is my choice if I'm forced to make a gas station beer run or if I'm going camping with friends. Let's give it credit for what it is: a cheap, readily available beer that is a definite step up from Bud Light and friends. Sometimes, and I know this is strange, I just don't want to spend a lot of money.

2.83/5  rDev +0.7%

Although not a real great beer...i end up with one of these every so often... did this week.
Pours golden with a nice head. Aroma is sweet with a corn overtone. Taste likewise is sweet with a definate corn taste. Almost too sweet. Not much in the hop department here.
Very smooth...you could down a few of these and not bat an eye.
Mouthfeel is carbonated and mellow...not too thin because of all the carbonation in it. The Cola of beers....a definate economy beer..but very drinkable...works with hot weather and hot dogs. Best served ice cold. Beats a lot of cheap beers by a long shot.

3.2/5  rDev +13.9%

A: Straw colored beer topped with a fluffy, white head. Decent head retention but not much lacing to speak off.

S: Sweet malty aroma with hints of tea and corn.

M/T: Tastes like college. Crisp mouthfeel. Tastes like there may be some malt and even some hops somewhere in there. Sweet and clean finish.

D: Light, refreshing drinking experience. Could finish a case or two in a night if the mood strikes me. One of my favorite Macros to drink in excess.

Notes: Truly the champagne of beers. I have a love affair with this beer and would gladly accept one any day of the week. Not the highest quality macro lager I have tasted, but definitely my favorite. The price and the epithet (cham-pag-ne- a la Christopher Walken) make it just right for me. My preferred poker/beer pong/drinking game/cookout beer.

1.65/5  rDev -41.3%

This beer poured a very pale yellow color with a large head of foam. It was so pale that it was basically just a shade darker than water. The aroma was very uninviting. I could smell a mixture of rotting tomatoes and a kind of fruity aroma mixed with it. Surprisingly, the taste was not too bad. I could taste the ever present corn and adjuncts, but there was also a nutty aftertaste that was kind of pleasing. Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could put out a product like this and still make money. I'd take a Bud or PBR anyday over the "Champagne of Beers". Not recommended.

3.11/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance - Pale golden color, great deal of carbonation, with a good deal of foam. Very typical of a macrobrew.

Smell - Very soapy, macrobrew smell, repugnant. Can't really tell what it comprises otherwise.

Taste - A suprising good corn-like taste, not watered down. No aftertaste--leaves a nice refreshing feeling in the mouth. Above average for a macrobrew. No bitterness at all, a hint of sweetness.

Drinkability - Definetely drinkable. I'm surprised I haven't tried it until now, but I'm quite impressed. Nothing like its Lite counterpart and definetely worth the price. Recommended for a macro.

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

12 oz clear bottle

Decent bright white head that hangs on pretty well. Impressive lacing surrounding pilsner glass. Bright golden color deeper than average American macro.

Smell is not its strong suit. Not much of one. Slight hint of corn.

More taste than other macros and not bad either, especially cold. Corny,

Mouthfeel slightly sticky. Weakest point of beer.

Drinkability is off the charts. Could knock back a 12 if necessary or desired. Good thirst quencher as well.

This stuff is simple but pretty good. A 12 pack is a pretty good use of $7 and better than anything else in the price range except Yuengling and maybe PBR. When I'm going cheap and don't feel like Yuengling Traditional Lager and can't find PBR, this does the trick.

2.03/5  rDev -27.8%

"the champagne of beers" proudly displayed below High life on the label. If they are talking about carbonation I'd have to agree, this is filled with medium sized frantic bubbles. Golden, fizzy head that quickly fades never to be seen again.

Smell of grain, corn, but what sets this apart from alot of macro's is it definately has a hop presence that is decent. Lemon, astringent at times. As this beer warmed it started tasting more like a cheap malt liquor. To be fair though this beer is made to be consumed ice cold as the cheap qualities come out as it warms. Pop rock fizz mouthfeel.

Notes: If its on sale I'll pick up a sixer for a fishing trip or the likes. This is one of the finer macro's up there with Pabst Blue Ribbon but not quite.

2.46/5  rDev -12.5%

Well im not sure why this beer is so much worse in the can. When i buy a macro i usually get cans because they are lighter to return, but the can version of this just blows in comparision. This poured a gold color with an allright head. The aroma was of corn and harsh ass. The taste is similar has a slight sweet hint. Compared to the bottle though the taste is dirty and harsh. The mouthfeel is moderate, not stickey-creamy like the bottle. Kinda drinkable

3.16/5  rDev +12.5%

Appeared very light golden/yellow... clarity is good.

A pretty nice, white head forms and continues to stay. Nearly one inch in thickness.

Aroma is malty/grainy/rubbery/corn.... The aroma is definitely not inviting... moving on...

Not a bad beer for a summer evening.

1.65/5  rDev -41.3%

In a word: "average."

....even for a macro brew this beer represents the average. I guess thats pretty much what they're going for though. Every once in awhile I have to pick up a sixer of HL just to remind myself of why I spend $10+ per bottle for the good stuff. It pretty much embodies the qualities of what people like my grandfather expected from their beer. Essentially something devoid of any immediate bitterness or "flavor", yet something that provided a brief escape from the life that was 50's and 60's America. For this reason it still marches on, coursing through the veins of tail-gaters and lower-middle class ping pong players across the country....

Miller High Life
12 oz clear bottle
Jet ink label that reads 04176 051028
Served mainly out of the bottle, but also used a 8 oz juice glass for appearance

Pours a light fizzy yellow. Mini carbonation bubbles rise to the top. I prefer this beer cold and out of the bottle.

Whiffs of corn and rice. Light nose and nothing appealing to the senses.

Sweet corn and rice blend. Some flavors of cereal and grains. Good drinkability level that is better the colder it is.

There are no surpises here, I know what to expect. This is a hard beer to beat as far as price goes. I paid $3.99 for a 6 pack. It's your typical macro-adjunct lager all day long. Not a quality beer by any stretch of the imagination, but thirst quenching nevertheless.

2.17/5  rDev -22.8%

Purchased a six pack of clear bottles. This beer pours a pale yellow with a thick head. Clean tasting macro lager, this was my beer of choice when I was in college back in the eighties, it was cheap, drinkable and better than other cheap beers, such as Old Swillwaukee. Only problem was it was (and I'm sure still is) common to find a light struck bottle. Not bad for a macro when not light struck.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Drank straight from bottle.
Well, if you're looking for a quality beer this ain't it. with that said, it wasn't awful.
Smell had corn, hops, and some sort of citrus. Taste followed the smell. Corn, hops some light fruit. Not much of a rich flavor and after taste was light. A crisp mouthfeel that gets better as the beer becomes colder. A good, light summer thirst quencher, and cheap.

2.3/5  rDev -18.1%

A - Pours yellow in color, very little carbonation, small head, some lacing afterwards.

S - Scents of sweet malts, hops.

T - The taste is kinda sweet, but very watery.

M - Light body, not much of an aftertaste to talk about.

D - Drinkable I guess. Many moons ago I use to like this stuff.

2.61/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 1 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Ah, Miller High Life - the champage of beers.

Pours a terrible pale yellow with no foam at all. Smell is very mild - some malt and sweet corn in there along with some floral hops. Taste is pretty much the same as the smell. A pleasant fresh floral hoppiness and very mild bitterness are there in small quantities along with the grain. The corn makes it a bit sickly tasting as it comes out more when the beer warms. Mouthfeel is pretty watery. Overall, I'd pick it over most of the other macro lagers, I guess.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Look at this beer this way: It is simple, has been around for a long time, and is an industry standard. Yellow hue, with a decent head, smells like a cheap beer. Taste is actually very nice. It's just a beer taste. Nothing special here, but from Miller, this is probably their best offering. Mouthfeel and drinkability are incredibly wonderful being that it is so easy to drink. By far, this is the best macro you can get.

2.98/5  rDev +6%

This is a boring, (but acceptable), no frills American Macro Lager. It pours straw yellow with a fizzy white head. Its smell is hidden and subtle, but it smells like every other Macro (subtle grains). For the 'Champagne of Beers' it is above average in that I don't run away, but its nothing super special either. If you drink it ice cold, the crisp mouthfeel and the thinness make it a light and refreshing (easy drinking) brew. The taste is not exciting but not offensive either. You could say it is gentle on the palate. The bitterness is very mild and the malts are there but are hard to find. Clearly the rice and corn show through but overall there is simply not much taste, to talk about, at all. For a hot day doing physical work, this'll drink like water. For a Bar Beer, it is an acceptable choice. It is no champagne. It is nothing special, but it does have its place and time, and it is exactly what I expect and what I do not expect from a BMC beer.

Hope this is helpful.

2.04/5  rDev -27.4%

This is a pretty terrible beer, though even after what 150 years, it still has its fans. I can understand why actually. The first time or two I tried it I thought it was pretty good. And the bottle is really cool besides. But the more I have drank this one, the less I like it. The color is a little darker than most in the American Macro category (at least those that are brewed in America). It's still definately yellow though. If you like High Life you'll probably call it yellow with a bit of depth. If you don't you'll probably describe it as sickly looking piss. I've had unbiased observers (that is people who've never had the brand and didn't recognize it either) ask me how I could drink something so gross looking. Smell is what I'd call average. It's actually on the sweet side, with hops that are a little funky, but at least noticably present. Taste is what kills this beer, and is where I've changed my mind. My views on the other aspects changed when I stopped appreciating the taste. At first, I thought it tasted pretty decent. It tends toward the sweet side, the adjunct of choice is obviously corn at least instead of rice, and the hops are only a little funky. The problem is that the more you drink this beer, the worse it gets. With each sip, the decent characteristics fade and the chemical bitter/nastiness comes the the fore. If you have more than two, not only does it become unbearable, but the taste will linger for hours after you finish it, even after you eat, or drink something else. The mouthfeel is about dead average, a bit fizzy but not bad otherwise. The drinkability sucks because of the way the nasty aftertaste slowly creeps in and takes over your mouth. Trust me, even from the bottle (and the canned version is supposd to be infinately worse) you would have to be absolutely out of your mind to drink more than 4 of these. The one time I drank 4, even brushing my teeth could't dent the lingering aftertaste. I used to think this was my go-to budget beer. Now I say avoid at all costs. Maybe not as bad as Bud, but who knows, if you drink a fifth High Life it might taste even worse than that. I for one don't want to find out.

2.57/5  rDev -8.5%

Straw colour with fluffy, rather dry looking head. Smells of a combination of cream, honey and an unfortunate hint of beer soaked bar towels. Tastes rather bland, but not obnoxious. It is rather sweet with a one dimensional bitterness and a rather dry finish. Seems a little stale. If it were less sweet and a little crisper it would be much better.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.