Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

poor
good
Read the review
Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Reviews: 1,118 | Ratings: 3,614
3.51/5  rDev +24.9%

Hello gents, now granted this beer is by far no craft beer or micro brew, understand that I'm reviewing it based on the beers that are in its class ie: Miller Light, Budweiser, Coors, ect.

This beer has the one of the best tastes out of a large scale brewer that I have tried (topped only by Yuengling). It may not have the best look (very light yellow, like piss) or the best smell (it smells like a slightly sweeter version of Miller Light) but its taste is great for a what it is, which is a cheap American large scale brew. I just bought another 12 pack today for $5.50 USD and I've got to say that's the best d$&% deal your going to find.

It may be cheap, it may look like piss, it may smell like a sweeter version of an inferior beer, but I'll be damned if you can find a cheap beer that can beat the taste and price point. When you're a baller on a budget, this is your beer my friend.

Miller High Life, the champagne of beer!

Miller "High LIfe" epic man! "Champagne of beers" and the bottle is still made in the shape of a champagne bottle. Then of course the unforgettable "It's Miller Time!". This legendary beer deserves a 5, just think about it.

3.84/5  rDev +36.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

By far my favorite Miller product. It has all the trademarks of an American Adjunct Lager. I tend to drink this out of a can, rather than bottle so as to not have it skunked. Pours a brilliant gold, with a nice foamy head that does have a bit of retention to it. The smell is corn with a hint of malt. Hops are subdued. The beer is also malty, like a cereal. I've had it in all serving types. If you're light on greenbacks this will do in a pinch. Really. This beer is unoffensive and perhaps a good palate cleanser.

1.66/5  rDev -40.9%

Appearance: Clear golden from can with a heavy-duty head of thick white suds. And gorgeous lace, believe it or not!

Aroma: Malty grains, corny, with minimal hopping.

Taste: Watery, hint of sweet corn grains. Almost no presence of hops at all, this one is just really sweet in flavor — almost too much so. Unbalanced for sure, but certainly more flavorful than Bud Light. Still, this is one I’ll avoid down the road.

2.35/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

(16oz can chilled)

L: I'm drinking from a can, but judging by the bottled stuff in the store and the profile picture....Yeah...Urine.
S: Skunky but not bad out of the can...clear bottle Miller that is not well stored can get pretty skunky.
T: The best part. Starts a little skunk, morphs into stale corn and light sweet malt with weak inoffensive metallic aftertaste. Great for summer.
F: Somewhat watery, carbonation like soda pop. The fizz can stick around in the back of your mouth a little.

Overall: For the style, being crappy cheap American adjunct...it might be my favorite.

3.92/5  rDev +39.5%

It looks like yellow fizz (some might call it piss water). But the labeling is iconic, so it gets a 3.

The smell is pretty mild, but pleasant. Think stale grass, sweet corn, slight citrus.

The taste is all in the finish, which is corn and pure science: a nearly perfect balance of mellow hops and and sweet malts. The aftertaste is mild and pleasant.

The mouth feel is highly carbonated and light to medium. Champagne of beers is correct.

Over all, I picked up a 12 for $7.49 at Target in 2015. That is bad ass deflation. Sure, they are a conglomerate, but that also has its upsides for the poor man.

3.78/5  rDev +34.5%

I've drank more High Life than any other beer. Its easily top dog in its demographic (easy win over Busch, stones ect ect) and makes for a great lawnmower beer or beer beer! After a hard days work (I'm a contractor) this is generally my go to even over my beloved craft beers, not saying I prefer HL over them per se but its just that light and refreshing. My trips to the beer store generally end up with a 30 pack, and 2x 6 packs of craft or imports.

I'll gladly take High Life over ANY other macro any day of the week. Is it the best beer? Not even close, but to me its certainly the best in its demographic. Pairs oddly well with Cheddar cheese in the wee hours of the morning.

1.39/5  rDev -50.5%

In Germany, Miller is not beer, because it's not made from hops, malted barley and water. It's made from corn and corn syrup, admitted adulterants. The Germans are on to something. Miller, like the other industrial brews, is best avoided. We have many other beverage choices.

It's light yellow. You can see it well through the skunk-inducing clear bottle. Cool. Old school bad.

Miller stinks. I don't mean that in a value-judgment sense. Literally, it stinks. Pop the cap and you're sure to smell the skunk. With a clear bottle, it happens fast. Get a perfectly fresh bottle, let it warm a bit. Now you'll get it. Take another whiff. The faint aroma of something rotten.

Miller skunks fast and tastes horrible as a result. However, if you get a very fresh bottle it's sweet. They make it with corn and/or corn syrup to make it sweet.

Miller feels like skunky water. Mmmm.

3.44/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The best word for me to describe the look of this beer is "frothy." Like the foam you see in ocean surf, yet straw colored. I don't know about you but I'd swim in an ocean full of beer.

It smells sweet and very mild.

It also tastes fairly sweet and fairly mild, but in a somewhat enjoyable way. It's light and corny, and won't make you grimace like some of the inferior cheap beers out there.

The feel is almost soda-like. But it didn't particularly bother me.

Overall this is a good choice for a cheap lager. In most stores by me it's the cheapest beer that isn't Busch or Beast or something ungodly like those. I much prefer this over PBR too. If I want a cheap lager and a store doesn't have Narrangansett or they're charging too much for Yuengling, chances are I'll get this.

3.54/5  rDev +26%

Poured from 24-ounce can into a pilsner glass. Second pour. The first pour was into a rocks glass to sample, which yielded a funky aroma. When poured into the pilsner glass, however, the aroma brightened up considerably. A little bit of funk, with more maltiness on the nose. Reminiscent of a wheat beer, possibly because of the adjuncts in the grain bill. Appearance was surprisingly nice, a golden yellow with lots of carbonation and a substantial white head that left quite a bit of lacing on the glass. Taste was nothing special and the mouthfeel was rather thin, but this one offered considerably more depth of flavor than many (most?) AAL's out there. A little bitterness on the tail end to finish this off. Pleasantly surprised by this one. Refreshing, cheap, and a good food beer. Worth revisiting if you haven't checked it out in a while.

3.21/5  rDev +14.2%

Consumed straight out of a 32 ounce bottle on August 22, 2015. Drunk at 55 degrees F with a date of "June0115" on it.

Clear pale yellow brew with lots of carbonation and a persistent white head.

Aroma is subtle and sweet and grainy.

Flavor is likewise soft and simple: husky grain, some corn and a lightly sweet finish with only a hint of bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light and highly carbonated. Strangely, some alcohol heat.

Utterly inoffensive and hits exactly the target they wanted. Not for me, though

4.22/5  rDev +50.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Review #1000.

Appearance: Perfectly clear pale straw gold. Head is bright-white, creamy, and bubbly. Decent retention from a lively carbonation keeps at least a clump of a cap for the duration. A few splotches and small notches of lacing. Forms a nice web as the beer goes down.

Smell: Grass, corn husk. Sweet, super sweet. Cereal grains. Lots of grass and hay husk. Pale malt. Corn syrup sweetness. A soft touch of lager yeast under it all. Solidly earthy hop profile, especially as it warms. A touch of cracker in the back with some soggy white bread. A soft push of alcohol runs through the back. Not a ton of depth or complexity.

Taste: Sweet corn and grass clippings. Sweet pale malt. Slightly earthy with some soft herbal elements. Hay, straw, and grass. Corn husk. Cereal grain. Soft touch of alcohol on the back. A little dirty. Husk and grain. Sweet, very sweet. Light corn syrup. Dirt. Warming waters everything down and produces a bland mix of straw and old grass clippings. Sweetness persists through each sip but never really increases or becomes cloying. Flavor flashes on the initial sip and finishes immediately with almost nothing left.

Mouthfeel: Light body with a moderate to high carbonation. Slightly crisp. A little slick on the finish.

Overall: Celebrate in style.

This is still my go-to when slumming it. It's sweet without being syrupy and the carbonation isn't too high. It goes down quick and easy with minimal fuss and warms better than just about anything in the style. I drank this at midnight on my 21st birthday and it's nice to revisit it for the beer it actually is after a long hiatus. You could do a lot worse.

2.77/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Translucent pale yellow. Thin white head.

Smell: Faint hint of malt and corn.

Taste: Not very strong, but sweet corn, some bread, rice.

Mouthfeel: Smooth but very carbonated.

Overall: A good beer for the price, which is cheap. Light and easy to drink.

2.17/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a light golden color with clumpy head. Smells like putrid fermented corn. Tastes like every other adjunct lager. Goes down smooth though, no bitterness. Overall, not recommended.

2.32/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Recently was left a cooler full. Normally don't buy this but I figured I'd keep it. It's been hot as balls out lately so I been drinking these with lime and they are actually pretty refreshing.

2.97/5  rDev +5.7%

12 oz. clear bottle into a Pilsner Glass

A - Virtually no head. What head this is is white and very thin. Clear. Straw in color. Very fast rising carbonation. 3/5

S - Heavier on corn than most beers of this style. Light floral hoppiness. Hint of grains. 2.75/5

T - Light corn and grainy up front. Most of the flavor is of hops on the back end. Floral hops. Not much else to report. 3/5

M - Very carbonated. Scrubbing bubbles sensation. Very dry on the back end. Very crisp and clean. Light bodied. 3.25/5

O - Not a lot going on with this beer but not a lot expected either. Very simple and light. Good beer for a hot day or with food. Great gameday beer. Familiar, enjoyable, and could easily down several of these. 3/5

2.42/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

My preferred method to enjoy this fine, craft beer is in a 32oz. can wrapped snugly in a brown paper sack. Yep, pretty much right from the local vendor's cooler to you. This is actually a decent beer for the price, I like it better than the other beers stacked next to it in the chiller. Not much to really judge, just a decent, cheap beer.

2.6/5  rDev -7.5%

The smell and look aren't anything special. Feels almost thick, very carbonated, bold lager flavour.

Pretty good for the price and taste. The better, if not best of the cheap tier beers I've had. My "every day" go to beer.

4.34/5  rDev +54.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I really think this is an underrated beer. It is one of my favorite go to beers. I often drink it like a Mexican beer in the summer with some lime and salt. It's excellent and has a good refreshing flavor to quench your thirst on a hot summer day. I don't care much for Miller Lite, but regular Miller is the champagne of beers. One of my favorite American Lagers.

1.08/5  rDev -61.6%

Sweet and metallically bitter. Bit cloying. Not rating this against like Heady or anything, but rating it against it's contemporaries, which are marginally better than this.

2.37/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Look: Pale straw with a weak head that dissipates

Smell: Musty, strangely fruity, wet paper, vaguely grainy,

Taste-heavy on the sweet malts, slight notes of what I imagine cardboard would taste like, but not entirely unenjoyable. no real semblance of any hops

Feel-Agressively carbonated, very light

Look, if you're drinking this beer you know what it is. A macro-brewed adjuct that's stupid cheap. In my opinion, this is one of the better cheap, mass produced brews. If I'm at a barbeque on hot summer day eating burgs and lounging by the pool, it might not be my first choice, but I wouldn't turn it down either.

2.86/5  rDev +1.8%

Look: A pale straw color with a moderate head that lingers a bit before fading.

Smell: Not much to comment on here, just the standard "beer" smell of an American Adjunct

Taste: Now here's where I was dis appointed, this really may as well be beer-flavored seltzer water. There's really nothing too it, or if there is, it's such a subtle flavoring that my palate, which normally prefers stronger flavors, cannot detect it. I like lighter beers, but this is not a good example.

Feel: The carbonation is about right, goes down like soda.

Overall: But, all that being said, normally you're going to be throwing these back at a dollar a bottle at a bar special. It's not great beer, but it's solid for a mass produced national brand. It's not unpleasant in anyway, which is more than I can say for many other beers I've tried.

3.98/5  rDev +41.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I can't say that this is my favorite in the AAL category, but I still like it because I just like beer in general. My favorite aspect of High Life is I can often pick it up for $13.00 or so for a 30 pack.

Now before I hear the usual poo poo's of "you get what you pay for," I just don't believe most people could really tell the difference between most AAL's if given a blind taste test. I've done it many times with friends, and only two people out of dozens were truly able to ID their "favorite" AAL. Face it, most AAL's just aren't that much different. They are just good, inexpensive beverages that we enjoy!

With that in mind, I can't see paying $20.00 for a 18 pack of Budweiser (highly overrated) when I can pay $13.00 for a 30 pack of this.

Its just a decent, inexpensive beer. Take it for that.

3.13/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Picked up a 24 oz can at my local gas station because...well, why not? Best by date on the bottom states it's optimal for another month. Poured right from the fridge into my Samuel Smith pint glass.

L: Crystal-clear and golden straw-colored with about an inch of white head that fell quickly but to a nice film leaving more lacing than I was expecting. Profuse visible carbonation.

S: Cracker malt notes with that characteristic corny aroma. Some subdued skunk. A little bit of something metallic coming through, as well.

T: Soda cracker malts at the front end, with a bit of a dry white wine sensation. The middle reveals some of those adjunct flavors--corn and rice are discernible along with the earlier malt flavors. The back end provides a brief identification with cider, which isn't unpleasant alongside the other flavors. What is more unpleasant are the subtle metallic notes that accompany the close, which is otherwise crisp and fleetingly tart from what must be some hop presence.

F: Light-bodied and substantially carbonated. This one goes down smoothly and ends cleanly. Again, this one feels a lot like a cider on the palate.

O: Well, no one expects much of High Life, other than it should deliver what High Life has always delivered: an easy-drinking beer that's not too hard on the taste buds and costs relatively little. With such meager expectations in mind--and perhaps bucking the general sentiment toward American adjunct lagers on this website--I have to say that this is not a bad beer. If bars I visit don't happen to have good craft selections and/or lines I know have been cleaned within the last five years, I'll often go to this one. It could be attributed to sentiment or homerism, but I genuinely believe this brew tastes pretty decent. Certainly not great, but more than passable.

2.47/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not bad for a cheap AAL. It might not be as decent as I think it is, but it's quite nostalgic for me. This is one of the first beers I can remember relatives drinking at family gatherings. I thought those clear bottles were so cool. Why? I don't know.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.