Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

poor
good
Read the review
Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Reviews: 1,117 | Ratings: 3,610
3.76/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For cheap macro swill, High Life (from 12oz. bottles) is hard to beat.

Typical American macro lager looks, apart from the slightly foamy head that actually tends to stick around. Smell is harsh, grainy, and not particualrly pleasant.

Tastes very grainy. Highly carbonated corn. Some malt sweetness with just a faint taste of hops towards the clean finish. Mouthfeel would be hard to match by a marco lager.

The beer to get with buddies who refuse anything that it's straw yellow and dirt cheap. The obvious choice for the poor college student as well.

3.28/5  rDev +16.3%

The unmistakable character of Miller High Life. Ahhh....

I remember rocking this stuff from 6th and North in Milwaukee back in high school.... wait, did I say HIGH SCHOOL?

Poured with a decent head and little lacing. Typical straw Miller. Unmistakable.

Speaking of unmistakable, unmistakable apple juice aroma. Love that Miller High Life. Sweet initial offering and then a pretty weak hop blast.

Slight caramel twinge folled by an overly estery (for a lager) wallop in the end.

Slammable? If you're in high school and you want to unwind, of course. When you're 26 and you know better... it's still slammable.

Respect Wisconsin.

3.3/5  rDev +17%

This beer is probably the best of the american commercial beers, I like it a lot better than budweiser. This beer is average all the way down, I got the 16 oz cans of it, doesnt change taste too much as it warms, but seve it cold as possible. If i had to choose between bud/coors/miller category, I'd choose the high life. It's actually pretty cheap and not that bad a beer.

3.23/5  rDev +14.5%

poured out of a 24 ounce bottle - pale yellow with lots of fizzy head which subsided rapidly to about a 1/8 inch layer of foam.

aromoa is grain husks and alcohol

taste is bitter up front followed by a bit of malt and graininess, there is a small hop presence, just a little more hops would greatly improve this beer, but alas.

mouthfeel is crisp, a bit thin

Drinkability is high, easy to drink beer although very boring, would be good with pizza or spicy food.

overall, this beer really isn't that bad, at least it tastes like beer unlike several other macros or lights, it is something i would never turn down if offered at a party, also the price is very low. I drink this right out of the bottle as i don't see much point in pouring this one so it is a good choice at cookout or something when no glass is available. anyway, I am not ashamed to drink High Life.

4.22/5  rDev +49.6%

Miller had an example of good beer, miller high life in a 40oz bottle, a lager made without rice, malt, hops, corn starch, and flavorful water, its blonde color is because to its clear and dry malt; good with mexican cheese and american food, try with mexican antojitos too, serve in a glass mug previously cooled, with lime too; 92% recommended.

3.17/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A few years ago a friend of a friend moved into my apartment to take the extra room, split the rent, etc... I did not know this person, and when bottles of High Life started to show up in the fridge I remember thinking "The Champagne of Beers? Are you kidding me? I don't like the look of this" I wasn't even beer enlightened at the time, but still I did not like this beer on sight.

Well of course I drank some. And drank some more. And more...

You know, it's really not that bad.

I'll break it down. Color is unimpressive, too pale. The head is just fizzy and weak. Nothing new in the world of cheap American lager so far. Smell is slightly sour, with the barest hint of malt grape lollipop, and hops. Taste is slightly sour and sharply bitter at first, malt in the backround from start to finish, corn?, wouldn't surprise me. A slightly detectable hop flavor as well. Heavily carbonated, which I didn't take points away for, because I really don't mind lots of fizz.

A simple cheap beer.

2.27/5  rDev -19.5%

this stuff taste decent. A little sweet, however there's a sort of unpleasant background taste. The color is typical of any american macro, and so are the head stats. Sitting here writing this reveiw the morning after I only got a little bit hammered of this (*came home drank 2 bottles of water), my head throbs and beats with pain. I don't want to drink this again

3.2/5  rDev +13.5%

High Life has been my choice of budget beer (5.49 12 pk) since my freshman year of college. It's not much to look at, don't bother pouring it into a glass, but it is much better than it's competition. Other beers in it's price range would be Pabst, Beast, Keystone, etc... and this is far more enjoyable than any of those. Depending on my mood, I might actually reach for a High Life in the presence of far superior beers just because it's easy to drink.

Bottom line is, although theres no great unique taste, there's also no bad taste. It's just a cheap, easy to drink beer. I would drink this over a Bud anyday

2.7/5  rDev -4.3%

This beer smells and looks of corn. This is not necassarily a bad thing as it is typical of American macro lager. Relative to its brothers Miller highlife is quite good actually. It has a straw yellow color and an easy swallow at a low price. That's about all you can reasonably expect from it and in my opinion it does this better that budweiser. The bottles are clear, so they offer little protection from light. I also noticed that it doesn't really leave you with much of a hangover, but I sobered up almost completely before I went to bed.

3.58/5  rDev +27%

I'm drinking this out of an oversized wine glass, as befits the Champagne of Beers. High Life pours a very pale gold color, good head, good lacing. Doesn't really smell like much, but tastes remarkably good for "swill," sweetly malty with a nice biscuity finish. Mouthfeel is overly fizzy--the "champagne," I suppose--but still, High Life's not so bad. Easily my beer of choice for its class, and better than stuff like New Glarus's Totally Naked.

I'll hopefully pick up a bottle of High Life soon for comparison, as I remember it being superior to the canned version.

3.23/5  rDev +14.5%

I admit that I've got a thing for "Grandpa's Beers." Special X, High Life, Papst, and Old Style all do it for me.

This is one that I always keep around in the fridge. At $9 for a case of bottles, High Life makes the perfect “just in case” beer. It’s like a safety net. I like having it near by, knowing that if my obnoxious cousin comes over I won’t have to offer him a Bell’s or something because trusty Miller is there for the non-beer drinker’s beer drinker. Oh, and this beer is called Miller, just plain Miller, not High Life.

Let’s start with the look. The beer itself is nothing special. It looks like liquid sweet corn. The head is thin, white, and not lasting. Overall, the appearance is what you would expect from just about any macro.

The bottle, however, is a different story all together. It features the famous Miller Girl Over the Moon label, which was created long ago by famed industrial designer Brooks Stevens. Stevens is kind of like the Frank Lloyd Wright of industrial design and is probably most known for the invention of the Oscar Meyer Wiener Mobile.

Anyways, the fact that the bottle has a small but kick ass print that was designed by an awesome Wisconsinite gives it a little appearance bonus in my book.

As to the taste, it’s corn syrup. Nothing more, nothing less.

The mouth feel’s not bad, thin, mildly carbonated, refreshing.

What I really like is this beer’s drinkability. It goes down so easy but doesn’t go through me like lite does. I can throw back a bunch of these and I don’t feel full but I do feel like I’m drinking beer, not water.

This is a solid beer and better than bud by leaps and bounds.

3.43/5  rDev +21.6%

This is not a bad beer, but due to some who must bash macros, it gets a bad rap. Poured out to a solid golden yellow color with a decent head that came down to about 1/8th of an inch. Odors of corn and malt were present. Taste was consistant with aroma. Very strong flavors of corn and malt, along with a syrupy sweetness that gives this brew a nice appeal. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel, almost like liquid silk. Very nice. When you take the price into the equation, this brew is a no brainer. The best of any AB, Miller or Coors product. Good session beer. Recommended.

2.81/5  rDev -0.4%

This is an old standby. Craft beer lovers whould stay away from it but on a college student's budget, sometimes the $6 12er is all that one can get.

pours a straw colored yellow with a good head if poured aggrerssively. the head doesn't stick around too long.

Aroma is of malt and yeast, not very complex at all, though what do you expect.

Not much to the taste for those used to IPA's like I am very smooth, almost no hops a little yeast on the finish.

Very drinkable, a good beer on a hot day but just for refreshment, not for taste. Not very filling, easy to run through them.

The Champagne of beers is just a cheap macro afterall.

3.16/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours pale as it should. Nice head retention for a macro and a bit a lacing as well. Definite adjunct(corn sugar) taste but not too strong. Low bitterness and no aroma so hops are a bit lacking. Still for the price, not a bad "cheap" beer that goes down easily. I wish they'd add some saaz aroma hops..would make a big difference. Beats Bud if you ask me. No rice here.

An aggressive pour releases 3 fingers of head over top of a clear light straw color. As far as things go, the head has a moderate retention and leaves nice lacing as it recedes. The nose is light, corn-sweet with a lack of hop character. Flavor is very clean, with a moderate corn sweetness, light graineyness and a lack of hop. Not bad at all. The feel is light to light moderate wtih a moderate carbonation. Overall, I've always found this to be a nice and refreshing beer. Not something I get often, but when I need something in this genre, this is where I turn.

3.12/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a clear golden yellow body with a one inch white head that has decent retention and leaves a moderate amount of patch lace on the glass. Aroma is negligible, with hints of spicy hop and a suggestion of pale malt. Mouthfeel is light bodied and the carbonation is moderately high. Taste has some grainy malt sweetness that is balanced well with some vaguely spicy tasting hops. Minimal adjunct presence. A good tasting American lager, overall.
A very pleasant surprise here. An American Macro Lager that tastes decent and lacks the offnotes or total lack of redeeming qualities I've found in the other macros. Definitely, the class of the American Macro Lagers that I've tried.

2.15/5  rDev -23.8%

Wow! This beer pours a nice clear golden hue with almost perfect clarity. To bad the rest of the beer wasent as nice as its looks. I found the smell to be almost unexistent. The taste was not impressive and it was not smooth at all I could barely finish it. I remember drinking and hating it when I was 16 and my mind had not changed since on this beer.

1.26/5  rDev -55.3%

Skunked? Gosh, it’s not supposed to be, with its isomerized hops and all. Tried it from the bottle, tried it in a glass, both gave me a big mouthfeel of some plastic dissolved in it. Gotta say it loudly: THIS IS NOT BEER! It’s the Champale, not the Champagne, of beers.

2.8/5  rDev -0.7%

From a 24 oz. tallboy, average smell, color a very pale yellow with a decent head falling to lacing. Taste and mouthfeel are pleasing, tastes and finishes very clean, with no bitter aftertaste to note. Somewhat of a detectable sweet finish to the palate. A little over carbonated, as there are a lot of bubbles in each swallow.

I would gladly take a Miller High Life any day of the many offerings of the "big 3." Not the greatest beer you'll ever drink, but considering that it is one of the cheaper beers out there, the taste is definately worth the price. This one is probably my favorite "cheap beer."

3.05/5  rDev +8.2%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a light pale malt and adjunct scent that is a bit dry and musty. It has a light hop aroma. The taste is average as well. It has a dry and grainy pale malt and adjunct flavor that goes down easy and finishes slightly sweet and musty. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a decent adjunct lager. I never really gave it much of a chance before and I'm sure I won't be giving it much of a chance in the future.

3.25/5  rDev +15.2%

High Life is a weird brew.. at times it tastes excelent, other times it holds a funky, husky, musty edge that I don't really enjoy. Still, for a cornfed Indiana boy like myself, it doesn't hurt a bit to quaff a bottle or six of this on hot summer day. I admit that the packaging appeals to me and might even influence my purchase - not its old-timey appeal, but rather just the shape of the bottles. But I digress. High Life is far from groundbreaking, but I've relied on it many times in lieu of ordering an MGD, BUD, or PBR even. (don't like it in the bottle.)

1.64/5  rDev -41.8%

What kind of a beer drinker would be alured by the concept of his brew tasting like champagne? In short this terrible drink made me feel as if I was a kid who had snuck into his Dad's tool shed and slammed down a bottle of chemicals. If you aren't ashamed to walk out of a store with this one, then perhaps you should walk out with a case of "Natural Light" instead? 1,000,000 college kids can't be wrong! Take it easy boys and girls!

2.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Probably the better lager of any of the 'Big Three'. In comparison to most of them, High Life is a little bolder golden and has better head retention. Better viscocity to the palate. Creamier and more flavorful. Flavors though, are of high corn sugar and decent malt. Still no hop play at all. Finishes as crisp, but with that corn-like aftertaste. Although its better than most of it's counter parts, its a far cry from the good Chezc Pils. Also makes a great free beer.

2.8/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance: From a 40. Clear medium yellow with a very large, white, frothy, fully diminishing head. Some pretty good lacing for the style.

Smell: Mostly corn (which is to be expected from an American macro, but it’s kind of good as far as they go), along with grain, light doughy yeast, and hint of grass.

Taste: Hmm. I was about to start saying nice things here, but by the time I finished the first glass, I didn’t find it quite as palatable. Corn again, very sweet, and kind of a white grape juice taste in there too. I didn’t smell or taste any skunk through the first glass, but my beer burps are lightly skunky.

Mouthfeel: Thin body, watery texture, lively carbonation.

Drinkability: “The Champagne of Beers”? That slogan is about as corny as the beer, so I guess it fits. But hey, as far as corny brews go, this is one of your better... or at least they don’t try to hide the corny adjuncts. Initially, I thought I found another favorite warm-weather-camping/lawn-mowing beer, but no. Equal or better quality to the more expensive well-known AB, Miller, Coors brews, so taking price into account, I’d take this over them, but there are better cheapos out there. I wasn’t disappointed by this beer, but not really impressed either.

4.13/5  rDev +46.5%

Straw color with a full white head and very active carbonation. Balanced grain, fruity, corn aroma and flavor. Light-medium bodied, refreshing and smooth without a lot of cooked-corn character.

I prefer the bottled version over the cans ... seemed to have much better carbonation and liveliness. Very nice American macro -- one of the best actually and one of my favorites.

Per MIller website: 4.7% ABV, 143 cal., & 13.1g Carb

'08155' lasered on bottle
Tasted: 05/25/05

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.