Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

poor
good
Read the review
Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Reviews: 1,123 | Ratings: 3,642
3.52/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The champagne of beers, I'm old enough to remember when High Life was the champagne of BOTTLED beers.

While I'm usually a craft drinker and primarily an import drinker before craft, sometimes I want a lighter tasting. lower abv beer, especially on a hot summer day after doing some yard work. High Life is my go to for that. The better version comes from the can, not the clear bottle. It pours a nice golden yellow with a decent head that lingers for a couple of minutes, nice lacing. It's somewhat sweet to the taste. There is nothing offensive at all going on with the aroma, taste or mouthfeel, no off notes. Nothing exciting going on either but it is a very drinkable brew for the type of beer it is.

2.85/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a light, see through yellow, with a 2 finger head that dissipates rapidly, and very carbonated. Almost burns a little bit after the first sip. basic macro style lager taste. taste like bud light and coors. it is refreshing on a hot day but not a beer you sit and enjoy.

1.71/5  rDev -39.1%

A friend of mine had a party recently in which one of her friends brought an entire case of Miller High Life. Since there were several cans remaining at the end of the festivities I asked her for one so I could write a review on it. "The Champagne of Beers", the can says. Well, this doesn't look like champagne and certainly doesn't smell like it. With some trepidation I poured it into an old Yuengling pint glass (the better glasses don't deserve such indignity inflicted on them).

A: Pours an amber golden color (well, at least it has color), with a one-finger bubbly head that quickly dissipates into a white haze at the top. It looks vaguely like a urine sample, not particularly appetizing. The beer actually manages to have a decent amount of lacing.

S: Piss! It really does smell like urine, with a sort of sickly-sweet (corn?) smell coupled with a distinct B.O. undertone and a metallic note. Already I have a bad feeling about this.

T: Ugh! Sickly sweet is right! Cardboard, vegetables, soggy Fritos, copper, pretty much anything but malt and hops. It hits the tongue with some indescribable but distinctly unpleasant funk (is this what gym socks taste like?). As the beer warms up the funk becomes increasingly funky and nasty. Chemical finish.

M: Thin, weak, watery. There's no weight or body to this at all, it's like corn-and-B.O.-flavored soda water.

O: Well, it's not Bud Light but it's pretty bad. The smell alone makes me not want to drink it. If you want "great pilsner taste" try Warsteiner Premium Verum or Pilsner Urquell. I drank about half of it before drainpouring the rest. Even if it's cheap, I'd rather have a lower quantity of something decent than this. Not recommended.

2.78/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2012 Miller High Life - Reviewed 10/4/2012

Appearance: Miller High life pours a light straw color. Carbonation is visible in the bottle but not after decanting. Head starts off strong, but quickly dissipates to a light dusting. Lacing is minimal, but persistent.

Aroma: Very sweet corn with general malt and light hints of a Subway dining room.

Taste: Once again, very prominent sweet corn notes with lager adjuncts, caramel malts. One of the fresher High Life's that I've had, yet still a bit of skunkiness on the back end, followed by a clear finish.

Mouthfeel: This beverage is pleasant carbonated, and has the body of a nice light beer rather than a normal malt liquor.

Overall: This is a highly underrated beer. If looking for 40oz that pairs well with fish, chicken, or vegetarian meal, look no further than Miller High Life. Looking for a gateway beverage between malt liquor and craft beer? Grab a High Life 40. The semi-sweetness of the malt is very well balanced with the burn of the alcohol, making this one of the most drinkable 40's available.

2.79/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

In my opinion, I'd say that the miller high life is potentially the best tasting beer that the miller brewing co makes. That's not to say its a great beer, but lets face it, if I had to choose amongst the typical Miller brands, it would probably be this. As far as flavor, it's crisp and refreshing with a lot of carbonation. The taste is decent. It certainly isn't anywhere near the best, but I wouldn't rule it out.

3.14/5  rDev +11.7%

Great beer to kick it with. Its very refreshing when the beer isreally cold, and great with friends or stuck at home alone.. its pretty cheap too. "The Champagne of Beers" for sure

1.64/5  rDev -41.6%

What kind of a beer drinker would be alured by the concept of his brew tasting like champagne? In short this terrible drink made me feel as if I was a kid who had snuck into his Dad's tool shed and slammed down a bottle of chemicals. If you aren't ashamed to walk out of a store with this one, then perhaps you should walk out with a case of "Natural Light" instead? 1,000,000 college kids can't be wrong! Take it easy boys and girls!

2.8/5  rDev -0.4%

From a 24 oz. tallboy, average smell, color a very pale yellow with a decent head falling to lacing. Taste and mouthfeel are pleasing, tastes and finishes very clean, with no bitter aftertaste to note. Somewhat of a detectable sweet finish to the palate. A little over carbonated, as there are a lot of bubbles in each swallow.

I would gladly take a Miller High Life any day of the many offerings of the "big 3." Not the greatest beer you'll ever drink, but considering that it is one of the cheaper beers out there, the taste is definately worth the price. This one is probably my favorite "cheap beer."

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

As far as American Macro lagers, I used to turn to Budweiser. However, now Miller High Life is at the top for me. Is it the greatest beer around? No. Certainly not. But for the price, I think it's a solid every day beer.

Nothing in the appearance. Pleasant smell. Good, slightly hoppy taste.

2.96/5  rDev +5.3%

This has become a mainstay of mine for the past few years. As we've felt the economic pinch, and I've looked for quality beer buys, this has come up more often than not. I try to keep a few in the fridge if at all possible. It's often to be found at Rite-aid for $6.99 a twelver -- significantly less than BMC or Rolling Rock, little more than PBR.

It's beer -- nothing very distinctive about it. Pretty corny-tasting, but clean and crisp. It lacks the gnarly aftertaste I find in Bud products, but also lacks the tasty,slight hoppy bitterness to be found in PBR. I'd choose Blue Ribbon over this any day, but a 24-oz can of this stuff for a $1.50 on impulse at Von's can't be beat on a Saturday afternoon.

2.05/5  rDev -27%

Another pale golden macro lager, though oddly more enjoyable then most. The smell and taste smack of grain and corn. The Champagne of beers is definitely highly carbonated, making it somewhat refreshing. I wish I could put a finger on what it is that makes this beer more drinkable then a lot of the others in the category.

***WARNING: DO NOT LET THIS BEER WARM-UP!!! IF YOU DO, IT COULD LEAD TO A RATHER NASTY EXPERIENCE***

3.17/5  rDev +12.8%

Served in a 40oz. bottle, the way God intended, so there isn't much to comment on the pour or the head. The bottle does make a satisfying hiss as I twist off the screw-top cap, though. Through the clear bottle, the beer is hay-colored and fizzy as tonic water.

Not much smell through the tiny bottle top. What I am able to sense is a mixture of bread and funk. More nostalgia than identifiable odor...all I can think of is the floor of a frat house basement.

The taste is grainy and bready, with a huge adjunct presence. It's less ricey than Bud Light and it's brethren, but there's a definite corn flavor that only gets worse as the beer warms up. Sweet malts, spoiled apple and grass. There's the tiniest bit of hops at the very back - barely noticeable until after the beer's been swallowed - which lingers on the tongue for just a second. Aftertaste is nonexistant.

Mouthfeel is light, cold & bubbly. Incredibly drinkable. One could easily demolish a six-pack without even noticing.
...at first.

If this was a 12oz. bottle, things would be bright and cheery. But, being a 40ouncer, the beer is warm and the carbonation is completely gone by the time I hit the last 8 ounces. The character of the brew completely changes without the shield of temperature and bubbles. It tastes like apple juice, with a slice of bread, all stuck in a blender and left to sit on the counter for a week. I'm not sure how, but I managed to choke down the last few sips and put this one to bed.

Full article: http://timdudley.net/beer/?p=57

3.48/5  rDev +23.8%

this beer is based on the style it is classified in... nothing special but it's a good beer for a night out with the guys. not so sure it's the champagne of beers but for my money, i'd buy it again. has a musky taste to it that isn't overpowering. you can definately suck down quite a few of these. the one(s) i had were in tall-boy cans....can't get any better than that.

3.1/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a clear light gold with medium head. Smells like sweet nectar. Pretty tasty for a super cheap beer. Tastes like sweet nectar with a zest of honey and corn, watered down. Nice and refreshing for the right day of the summer. Nothing quite like sitting out on the patio on a hot summer day sucking down a cold pitcher of Miller High Life.

2.76/5  rDev -1.8%

A: Pale straw, one finger head that quickly dissipates leaving just about no lacing.

S: Corn. Maybe some malt. But mostly just corn.

T: More corn, just about no hops to speak of. Aftertaste is almost not even there.

M: Sharp carbonation, like an AAL should have.

O: For the price and in comparison to just about all other BMC offerings, this isn't a bad beer at all. No marketing gimmicks that drive up prices, and it doesn't taste like crap.

3.08/5  rDev +9.6%

As a college student, it is my job to find a cheap beer that doesn't taste like puked piss. This just may be the best it gets.

A- ya know, it actually looks pretty decent. It's golden color looks a bit watery, but it's fairly acceptable.

S- Fairly malty. If you've ever had Bud or Coors Banquet, it will be pretty familiar (though slightly different)

T- A bit watery, but as is to be expected. Similar to Coors Ban, but without some of the grossness.

M- The champagne of beers does indeed live up to it's name, as it is pleasantly carbonated. Again, a bit watery.

D- Decently drinkable. Of course, more so if one has had three already.

I actually would probably buy this again. That score is on the upper side of average.

2.68/5  rDev -4.6%

High Life, the so called "champagne of beers" is your typical adjunct lager. Pours a pale straw color. The head dissipates into nothing after a few seconds. The liquor store near me sells these in 40's and 32 Oz cans. The taste is of corn. There is an aftertaste, which consists of corn and rice. Overall, this is my go to cheap beer.

3.96/5  rDev +40.9%

THE best overall American Swill.
Semi-vigorous pour renders an enduring rocky head, provoking me to sip some before I can finish emptying the can. This is a fantastic head. It's the perfectly prepped hairstyle atop the beautiful body that is the beer, Miller High Life. Sweet corn and rice pudding aromas waft from it's surface, very warming, very pleasant. Sides down my throat with easy, chilling my tongue, leaving it's buttery flavor lingering. This beer is yearning to be drunk in big, slow swigs. Overall, it's the best macro lager from over the borderline. And c'mon.. ya gotta love the name.

Disclaimer: Written under the influence of a serious macro lager kick.

4.85/5  rDev +72.6%

My other go to beer. When i need a change of pace from Coors Banquet, I go with MHL. A great summer beer when your BBQing or hanging out at the river. tastes great. MHL in the bottle is great. Cans arent bad either, but the bottled MHL tastes better to me. I love the classic look also. As bad as Miller light is...MHL is that good, lol.

Let's put it this way:

This beer is the definition of AVOID.

Simply because it is cheap and convenient does not mean you should even consider this beer.

Full of genetically modified organisms (GMO corn).

Enough said.

Love life,
I am a Sea Creature (look it up)

4.77/5  rDev +69.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The champagne of beers. Only drink these in the bottles, I would never buy them in cans. I consider this beer as a treat You cant go wrong with this beer, its cheap and good.

3.59/5  rDev +27.8%

My dad mentioned to me that when mated with a lime slice, this is the poor man's corona. Ice cold, with a lime, this is now my favorite cheap beer! While high life has a bit more corn taste than corona, close enough for most at half the price. Color is pretty light. Doesn't have any outstanding smell, but you can tell it's beer. Taste is pretty simple, little malty, no hops to speak of, but refreshing none the less. Feels fairly carbonated compared to what I have otherwise been drinking lately, hence the champagne of beers, I suppose. Extremely drinkable, and at six for the price of one micro lately, you cant go wrong if you're strapped for cash.

3.6/5  rDev +28.1%

I'm reviewing this within the style that it is in and not comparing it to another style unfairly.

There is only one macro that I enjoy drinking, and this one is it. There are others that I can tolerate, but this one I will buy just to have something around that is refreshing to drink. Something that is not heavy, or hoppy or malty... just lightweight and enjoyable. Even with the adjuncts, there is nothing offensive here, and it does the job that it is supposed to do. Crisp, thin mouth feel, excellent head and lacing down the glass - please don't drink from the container - pour this one. I like the 6 pack of 16oz cans best poured into glass because I have had some inconsistent quality in the bottles. Occasionally yo get a very bitter one for some reason. There's not much aroma to savor, but the balance in flavor and adequate alcohol content make this one the best macro out there that I have found yet - not to mention the price is great.

3.8/5  rDev +35.2%

There's something about Miller High Life bottles and PBR cans that get me all nostalgic n' junk; like I have a connection to these beers that dates back to well before I could drink beer because pops and my uncles were never without one. They're by no means my beer of choice these days, but every once and a while I catch myself reaching for one. Such was the case at Sunday night's Super Bowl Party.

Vintage bottle. Out on the back deck deep in a tub of ice. Babies were cold. Ice cold. Arctic ice cold.

Appearance. Vintagely cool. I felt like one of my uncles. Just needed a big bushy mustache.

Taste. Smooth as hell. Not a ton to it, definitely some corn and such, but no hops to speak of.

Sessionability. Off the charts. I was disappearing these effers so quickly I checked the ounce count on the bottle (more than once).

Conclusion. Not a great beer, but a great beer to have around if you want something that's not offensive and something you can drink a ton of if you keep it coming ice cold.

Ah, the High Life, fellas... the High Life.

3.9/5  rDev +38.8%

Beautiful light beer. American beer at its finest. As a Canadian when I go to the states I get this on tap . Cheap.Tasty Refreshing. I can drink 12 to 18 of these. No rim scald.No Beagle Breath No hang over, Beautiful.The best part is is a 6 Pack of 16 ounce cans is about $5.50.after a sweaty days work I don't want a beer that tastes like you could tar a roof with it.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.