Magnum | Miller Brewing Co.

MagnumMagnum

Alströms:

2.5/5  rDev +25%

1.75/5  rDev -12.5%

1.85/5  rDev -7.5%

40 oz. bottle, with the best by date reading July 15, 2013. The second malt liquor beer by Miller that I am reviewing here on BeerAdvocate. The first was Olde English 800, and I'm not really expecting this one to be any better. Acquired at the local beer store for $1.79 after trudging through snowy slush to get there.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours the typical clear yellow piss malt liquor color with a quarter inch of thin white head that fizzles away almost immediately. Looks exactly the same as how a Miller Lite or Olde English 800 or any other Miller product looks in a glass.

S - Sweet chemically treated malts and corn husks. To give it the benefit of the doubt, this beer definitely smells better than a Miller Lite at least.

T - Artificially sweet sugars and corn / grain. Moderate level of carbonation, lightly bodied. There really isn't any discernable "taste" to be had here other than a prominent taste of corn.

M - Smooth and clean, thin and light bodied. My mouth tastes like corn kernels.

Overall, this is just a plain simple alcohol delivery vehicle for people looking to get their cheap buzz on, which is exactly what I plan on doing with it considering the murk I had to hike through to get this. (In my defense, I bought some *good* beer also). Anyway, like the others have said before me, this beer isn't horrible or offensive, it's just a bland alcohol delivery vehicle. The guy two reviews below me said it best - another tick off the bottom of the barrel list with plenty more to go.

Miller Magnum ---2/5.

2.8/5  rDev +40%

24 ounce can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It is straw colored with ample carbonation bubbles rising from the etchings on the bottom of the glass. It is topped with two inches of white head.

S - I notice some floral hops that give it a soapy smell. I also get sweet grains.

T - It tastes a lot like an adjunct lager. I get some sweet grain flavors and a slight bitterness from a small dose of hops.

M - Thin with biting carbonation

O - I'm not going to lie. I drink my fair share of malt liquor after a shitty day at work. I am used to the 8+ percent varieties. This just tastes like an adjunct lager.

1.88/5  rDev -6%

A - Drank straight from the forty. The usual malt liquor gold with a small white film to cap it off.

S - Corn. Corn. Corn. Corn. Corn. Corn. Corn.

T - Lots of corn as expected from the nose, And some slight sugar in the finish.

M - Medium carbonation with a medium body.

O - Overall, not a terrible malt liquor. It does it's job at the price you'd expect to pay.

4.25/5  rDev +112.5%

1.25/5  rDev -37.5%

2.5/5  rDev +25%

1.75/5  rDev -12.5%

2.06/5  rDev +3%

Big thanks goes out to the BA who sent me this one as an extra just because he saw it on my Wants! Even attached a post-it note taped to it that said, “SAW THIS ON YOUR WANTS!! HAHA”. Keeping it classy. Served from 24 oz can into a Mikkeller oversized wine glass (have to try to class it up some). Poured a golden yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, grain, and sugar. The flavor was of sweet malt, corn, sugar, alcohol, and water. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty bad brew. I have to say that this was a pretty nice looking brew. But I knew not to judge a book by its cover here as this brew likely had a hidden side. Boy was I right on that one…. The aroma was not that great on this one as there was a fairly large sugary aspect going on with it. The flavor was more of the same with more dilution. As a previous review said this was very mild and it being in a can format would make it fun to shotgun at a college frat party (believe me, I was there once). Another tick from the Bottom of the Barrel list with plenty more to go.

Magnum from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 2.6% out of 100 with 196 ratings