Mickey's | Miller Brewing Co.

poor

Added by pezoids on 07-03-2001

Reviews: 339 | Ratings: 1,249
Reviews by JMad:
2.5/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from can into frozen pint glass..

This beer poured a nice pale yellow with a creamy, thick 1 finger head. Left some lacing on glass.
Smelled a little sweet, faint corn scent. no hop smell present, it's a little metallic. The smell turns from sweet to sour as beer warms.
Doesn't have much taste, just a little sweet, and watery.
Mickey's goes down easy and is drinkable, just try to get it down while it's cold.

Worth the $1.07 for a 24oz can.

3.68/5  rDev +36.8%

From the shaped like a WW2 Grenade into, well no glass needed here, lets face it, this is what you want when you sit on a curb drinking alcohol wrapped in a paper bag . No excuses and no aplologies wanted.
The smell you should just avoid, anyone sticking their nose in this and inhaling is either stupid or drunk beyond reason.
The taste is sweet oblivion, yes, there is enough booze in this to get the job done quick and it's not unpleasant, kind of like a soft drink passed though beezelbubs bladder. grainy and warming and... familiar
I like it, I don't give a flying fig about the score here, it only supports my belief that most scorers are worse than me. and sitting on a curb will get you the truth sometimes. F you snob beerhipsters.

3.01/5  rDev +11.9%

Sometimes I just need a 40oz. to keep it gangster. And my 40 of choice is always Mickey's.

The key to Mickey's is to drink it really fast - it has to stay cold. If you can manage to down your entire 40oz. while it's still very cold, it almost has a Heineken skunky taste. I am not a fan of malt liquor, but a cold Mickey's really doesn't taste like a malt. If you let it get warm....prepare to pay the price. N A S T Y.

I'm finishing off a Mickey's 40 as we speak. It's just what I needed after a long day at work. The last few sips are still ice cold...and it doesn't disappoint.

3.1/5  rDev +15.2%

Smells like grain and alcohol with barely a suggestion of hops,
tastes like grain and alcohol with barely a suggestion of hops...
...and it's supposed to taste like that!

It pours a brilliant, crystal clear golden body beneath a pillowy bright-white head that deflates immediately and then maintains only a thin collar that leaves very little lace.

The nose expresses the sweetish adjunct-malt and alcohol that we've come to expect along with a very minor note of yeasty sulphur. It's clean though...

Its medium bodied in the mouth with a fairly crisp carbonation that gently tingles the palate.

The flavor displays a mildly-sweet maltiness upfront, backed by some very light alcohol and a low-key bitterness. If they added just a little more hop flavor to this it could easily pass as a standard mass-produced American lager.

Overall it's not as big, sweet, fruity and rough as many others, however, it's only 5.6% by volume, which is only .6% higher than Bud. In fact, it's barely a malt liquor. But it's clean, well-balanced (given the style), and fairly nice to look at despite the lack of head.

2.53/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Didn't bother to pour it, i can guess the color.

Smelled corny or sweet, but stale like alcohol.

Tastes sweet, almost dry like grass, corny.

Drank like any other cheap malt liquor. Used mine for chasing cheap vodka.

Overall, easy to drink and enjoyable enough.

3.7/5  rDev +37.5%

Poured from the giant 32 ounce plastic jug into a nonic pint glass. Good till July 11th 2016. Pulled from the back of the shelf booyah!

Deep clear brass body, quite shiny with minimal and slow rising carbonation. Bleach bright white solid three finger head, that settles to a big bowled puck and some nice thick coating lacing. Quite a decent looking beer.

Nice quite basic cereal grain and mild corn aroma. Some faint toast, no hop angle, but a mix of pasty sugar a bit as well. Really solid for what it is actually not boozy either. No skunking either from the plastic thin green bottle.

Palate manges no too many surprises, with the exception of tolerance. Clean first thick sip but without the big sugars or fussel alcohol burn. Corny like sweetness a bit, with some interesting sugar like aftertaste that lingers. Interesting aftertaste that seems to mix some adjunct sweetness and some decent grain quality in the mix, it just barely hints at toast.

Interesting animal in malt liquor vein, sort of in the right place between a step up from your regular adjunct lager, but not jumping into drying overly sweet or alcohol stink malt liquor excess.

1.5/5  rDev -44.2%

I feel like Mickey's fools me twice when I drink it. I get fooled once by getting tricked into those dumbass riddles they put on the caps. I get fooled twice because I end up drinking the malt sludge in the grenade because I feel stupid for not figuring out the phrase "butter face." When Dave Grohl sang the line "Is someone getting the best of you?", I didn't know he was asking about my alcoholism.

1.28/5  rDev -52.4%
look: 1 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

It's cheap and gets the job done if you want to get a buzz in the middle of the day

4.77/5  rDev +77.3%

Really liked this beer. Very flavorable I can appreciate. Not like other high rated beers that have a very tart taste. Bought the 40oz bottle just to try. Thought I'd taste then throw it out. The price was so low. Wrong!!! Just the right amount @ 40 oz. and a flavor I enjoy.

Reminds me of Meyer Park in Houston. My friend's older bro used to buy us 40 oz of these and we'd harass every living thing that would cross our path after downing a couple. Good times lol

3.74/5  rDev +39%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Now this is a good go to malt liquor even though its on the low end of the ABV comparing it to the new high gravity/malt liquors such as hurricane and the steel brewing company.. This is one of a kind and Its a winner all around for a decent price. 7 dollars for a 12 pack after tax, so what if your friends drink that fancy stuff like MGD or High Life, Budweiser, Coors! Dont let it bother you if you want to bring it to a party and dig in! Keep it real! with Mickeys Malt Liquor!

2.48/5  rDev -7.8%

355 ml signature green plastic bottle. Consumed ice cold, predominantly from the bottle. This bottle was advertised at 5.5% ABV.

Appearance - what I did pour out showed a decent golden color with a tiny white head and foam.

Smell - aromatic in that the adjunct aromas are quite potent, some sweet malt, corn and rice grain. Some skunkiness.

Taste - for malt liquor it's not too bad, nothing too funky going on as it drinks pretty easily. The sweet malt and grain are a bit too much by the end of the bottle, but it's not inherently undrinkable.

Mouthfeel - smooth with moderate levels of carbonation and refreshing finish.

Overall - it's not really good beer, but as far as malt liquor go, it's pretty drinkable, especially in smaller serving sizes where an increase in temperature won't make it too unpleasant. Glad I tried one, but unlikely to repeat.

3.74/5  rDev +39%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Nice change of pace (from time-to-time) away from the IPA's and spiced-up stuff. I lived off Two Dolla' Foties of St. Ides, back in college, for f**** sake!!!! So Mickey's is like--Dom Perignone for me!!!

3.08/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours a crystal clear light yellow with a 2 inch stark white head that fades to a small cap. Random streaks of lace form here and there on the glass on the drink down. Smell is of grains and corn flakes. There is a slight buttery smell to this beer as it warms. Taste is of grains and corn flakes. Very crisp and clean with a good level of carbonation. Overall, a pretty average beer but not bad for what it is.

4.26/5  rDev +58.4%

Mickey's is the malt liquor that makes the name worth it. Granted the whole idea that you play the brown paper bag hiding game, not right way to enjoy this delicious beverage. Get the six pack and enjoy the caps. The caps have nothing to do with taste but they definitely adds to the beer. If you can't solve a Mickey's cap in under 15 seconds put it down because the puzzle and Mickey's attraction...you don't understand it.

So the taste, it's a regular beer taste. It's enjoyable and doesn't over power with a liquor sting. It's the indulgence you have to hold on to. The six pack is affordable but willing grants access to inebriation. If you're going to "roll" with a malt liquor, this is the selection for that night.

4.6/5  rDev +71%

Appearance - I like the look of the bottle; it looks cool and makes me want to drink it.

Smell - Great! Doesn't smell bad at all.

Taste - Excellent. Don't mind drinking, or even chugging it.

Mouthfeel - Leaves a good taste in your mouth

Overall this beer is good because it tastes good and you only need 2 or 3 to feel a buzz.

3.71/5  rDev +37.9%

The best thing I've tasted that called itself "malt liquor."

Had a slight cidery taste that reminded me of my own home brew. Was clean and lager-like, not syrupy or sickley like Steel (yuk)

I had a 40 oz bottle and I was sorry to see the bottom.

4.3/5  rDev +59.9%

Ahhh my beautiful, you were my first. Tho I know they say you're not perfect, to me you are. We may have grown apart but I just can't help myself coming back to you at times. Thank you for all the memories.

3.63/5  rDev +34.9%

I don't know why Mickeys has such a low rating. I like it.

2.01/5  rDev -25.3%

Appearance – Light orange in color and very clear with a lot of carbonation and a decent head.

Smell – The familiar alcohol-laced grainy mishmash of the malt liquor family is alive and kicking in this Miller offering.

Taste – This taste like The Champagne of Beers with a shot of gin. The flavor is subtle (read, “tastes like watered-down piss") and the booze is overbearing.

Mouthfeel – It looked heavily carbonated, but this ale was flat and thin.

Sinkability – This bomber bombed.

1.43/5  rDev -46.8%

DAFUQ! WHY? Once the alcohol destroys your palate, it allows you to get past the chemicals used to make this atrocity. Once the alcohol hits your brain you tend not to give a shit. Low 5.6% abv? I had two 8%ers yeasterday and i didntmfeel this buzzed. Must be the impurities giving me instant hangover? I Hate You Miller!

3.1/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

If I had to choose a cheep malt liquer to drink this would definantly be it. I was in need of some beer and I was way short on cash so I bought a Mickey's 40oz for the first time in a few years and let me tell you, it totally works in a pinch. The smell is your typical grain sweetness that you will find in other malt liquor's, but the taste is supprisingly smoothe and it goes down very well. Not the most complex flavors, but at 5.6 a 40 will do just fine. Of corse it does not hold a candle to the likes of Arrogant Bastard or Dead Guy Ale but when you are in a pinch, it works.

2.25/5  rDev -16.4%

2.25/5  rDev -16.4%

Mickey's from Miller Brewing Co.