Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Mickey's | Miller Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by pezoids on 07-03-2001

Reviews: 335 | Ratings: 1,236
2.81/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Honestly speaking here, if I'm ever going to buy a 40 oz. again in my life, it will be Mickey's. If not just for the novelty of it, but its really a better tasting, easier drinking beer than anything else I've seen in a 40oz. bottle.

2.71/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Okay...first of all it is criminal that the photo of Mickey's here is not the classic green bottle (brain grenades). Second, what the heck are you people expecting from this beer (I did call them brain grenades for Pete's sake).
I used to take these golfing with me. I would never consider drinking them for flavor. Ratings based on what it is, not compared to a $12 bomber IIPA.

Reminds me of Meyer Park in Houston. My friend's older bro used to buy us 40 oz of these and we'd harass every living thing that would cross our path after downing a couple. Good times lol

1.27/5  rDev -52.8%

Very light in color definitely cheap by its taste but not as bad as some other malts that I've had. Very good if you want something cheap to take on a fishing or camping for the week end but is also not bad for the price

2.82/5  rDev +4.8%

Bought this with a bunch of other malt liquors. The cashier gave a smug look as I gleefully smiled ear to ear in anticipation of sampling these dumpster diving delicacies, since I didn't drink beer underage I never got the chance to try these gems.

Appearance: Amber body with a good foam head that disappears after a minute.

Smell: Served it cold enough to not give much smell, but what there is I hope I don't let it warm to find out and this no sipping beer so no worries.

Taste: Not much there and can't taste the booze at all, really just meant to deliver alcohol to the body. Some sweetness and slight graininess that stays just a bit to beautifully reveal a rusted metal twang on the finish making it so you must keep drinking to offset it and again you don't want this bad boy to warm up.

Feel: thinish body, you don't really want to "feel" this beer just shove it down the booze hole.

Not as bad as I thought going in. No reall offensiveness and the booze is hidden, it doesn't taste like much at all, but that gets boring real quick. I can see why people buy these i wonder if the others will have more flavor for better or worse, can't be as bad as stone 11/11/11.

2.57/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Get Stung! Drank a couple pints today for old times sake. Still does the job and I feel is one of the tastier Malt Liquors. First time I had it in a 16 oz. can so that was cool.

2.09/5  rDev -22.3%

40oz plastic bottle poured into a pint glass

A- pours a nearly clear pale straw color with a small fizzy white head that reduces almost completely, leaving nothing behind

S- cooked corn, metal, grains chemicals

T- sweet and malty up front with flavors of creamed corn, metal and a whip of grassy hop. Finishes slightly sweet and then drops off all together

M- light body with moderate carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel and a sweet crisp finish

O- tastes like every other malt liquor, drinkable but not good

3.68/5  rDev +36.8%

From the shaped like a WW2 Grenade into, well no glass needed here, lets face it, this is what you want when you sit on a curb drinking alcohol wrapped in a paper bag . No excuses and no aplologies wanted.
The smell you should just avoid, anyone sticking their nose in this and inhaling is either stupid or drunk beyond reason.
The taste is sweet oblivion, yes, there is enough booze in this to get the job done quick and it's not unpleasant, kind of like a soft drink passed though beezelbubs bladder. grainy and warming and... familiar
I like it, I don't give a flying fig about the score here, it only supports my belief that most scorers are worse than me. and sitting on a curb will get you the truth sometimes. F you snob beerhipsters.

1.43/5  rDev -46.8%

DAFUQ! WHY? Once the alcohol destroys your palate, it allows you to get past the chemicals used to make this atrocity. Once the alcohol hits your brain you tend not to give a shit. Low 5.6% abv? I had two 8%ers yeasterday and i didntmfeel this buzzed. Must be the impurities giving me instant hangover? I Hate You Miller!

3.74/5  rDev +39%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Nice change of pace (from time-to-time) away from the IPA's and spiced-up stuff. I lived off Two Dolla' Foties of St. Ides, back in college, for f**** sake!!!! So Mickey's is like--Dom Perignone for me!!!

1.5/5  rDev -44.2%

I feel like Mickey's fools me twice when I drink it. I get fooled once by getting tricked into those dumbass riddles they put on the caps. I get fooled twice because I end up drinking the malt sludge in the grenade because I feel stupid for not figuring out the phrase "butter face." When Dave Grohl sang the line "Is someone getting the best of you?", I didn't know he was asking about my alcoholism.

1.43/5  rDev -46.8%

DATE TASTED: October 10, 2014... GLASSWARE: Ommegang pokal... OCCASION: O's in the ALCS for the first time since 1997--probably the last time I drank Mickey's... APPEARANCE: brassy golden body that matches the translucence of water; snow-white sudsy head fizzles to a sickly residual; vibrant bubbles at the pour evaporate immediately... AROMA: pitchy, astringent malts; its appeal is purely in the twist cap nostalgia.. PALATE: fizzy, rather oily and sift; gassy, beefy aftertaste; thin and drinkable....TASTE: puckerishly sweet, with a water hose copper coupling overbearing flavor;; some champagne (!) notes; simply not flavorful ... OVERALL: Mickey's will always have a place in my heart--and on our college pong table--but this is a rough one to sip with any sustained interest...

1.5/5  rDev -44.2%

This pours a clear, yellow color with a slight foamy head. The aroma is mild with cheap grains and yeast. The taste is smooth, flat and surprisingly flavorful for a cheap malt liquor. There’s weak grains throughout and finishes fairly crisp and clean. After a while the aftertaste takes on a bit of an awkward finish but overall fairly decent for its style.

2.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Rating is propbably higher than it deserves but I have fond memories of sitting in a boat on the lake sipping Mickeys out of their old big mouth bottles. Ah memories..

1.92/5  rDev -28.6%

Best enjoyed with the brown bag from the liquor store still wrapped around it... Ah high school memories... I am not drinking one now as I review it, nor would I ever again, because I learned my lesson all those years ago - cheap, foul tasting, and guaranteed to get you from zero to wasted in no time flat... Though it might be considered by many King of malt liquor, that is not exactly a title to be proud of... That's like being crowned King Turd of Poopopolis on the planet Craptune... Congrats I guess...?

3.71/5  rDev +37.9%

The best thing I've tasted that called itself "malt liquor."

Had a slight cidery taste that reminded me of my own home brew. Was clean and lager-like, not syrupy or sickley like Steel (yuk)

I had a 40 oz bottle and I was sorry to see the bottom.

2.66/5  rDev -1.1%

2012 Micky's Premium Malt Beverage - Reviewed 9/9/2012

Appearance -
Pours a hazy golden color with very visible carbonation. Head dissipates quickly leaving thin remnants to remain. Lacing is disappointing but not non-existent.

Smell -
Very sweet with hints of corn and barley. Alcohol heat is very present in the aroma bit muted.

Taste -
Taste profile of corn, grass, sweetness. Overpowering maltiness on the back end. No hops to speak of with a boozy finish.

Mouthfeel -
Not as thin as is so prevalent in most other malt liquors. Carbonation is a bit overpowering and detracts a bit from the whole experience.

Overview -
I would put this at the top of my "go-to" list when in the 40's isle. Artificiality has really been lost with this brew, however I am a little upset that the 40oz format does not come with the classic brain teaser that the "grenades" do. Don't miss an opportunity to party with Micky.

3.65/5  rDev +35.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I do not feel right drinking this out of a glass after the effort was made to create a big mouth bottle. I hope they still have jokes under the cap:

A: Fat little green bottle. Beer is clear in there. I bet it is golden-colored.

S: Mineraly and corny with what seems like a very faint hop aroma. Some alcohol aroma as well. This smells better than many other malt liquors

T: Not a ton of flavor of any kind - refreshing though. Faint cory grain flavors with a slightly hoppy finish. Finish is long and a little bitter. No alcohol sting like other cheaper strong beers. Finish is quite nice here.

MF: Light bodied and moderately carbonated. Prickly on the tongue. No heat, no creaminess.

O: Cleaner and more flavorful than many strong lagers I have tried. This is very refreshing and surprisingly nicely put together.

3.81/5  rDev +41.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a pale gold from the 24 ounce can, good amount of white head. Modest retention but a good amount of fine lace.
Aroma is all malts. I am sure they must use some corn but I couldn't smell any. Light amount of grassy hops.
Taste is malty goodness with just a hint of hop bitterness in the finish.
Mouthfeel is light to medium. Just the right amount of carbonation.
Overall an excellent brew for the style almost too good to be a malt liquor. Just think of this as a malt forward AAL.
I first had this about 1970. It had an aluminum flat cap with a pull tab on the green grenade bottle. I had to bump the rating especially for the appearance. The lacing is very impressive.

3.3/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Mickey's brewed by Miller Brewing Co. This brew pours out a nice amber color with a nice white head. This brew has some small lace on the side of the glass. Overall, this this not a bad brew for being a malt liquor. The beer goes down smooth , nothing bad about this brew. This brew is more like a American Lager than a Malt Liquor. This brew also has a different after taste- it reminds me of jalapeno pepper juice. I'm not saying that is a bad thing; that is what makes this brew different from the rest.

3.18/5  rDev +18.2%

A-Apple juice gold body. Not as clear and transparent as I thought this would be. A nice chill-haze gives the body a misty look. Rotating the glass one can see glossy traits as well. When held to light the brew becomes bright banana yellow, like Duvel almost. Cloud white two finger head is surprising, thought there would be none. Spotty lacing is shocking as well.

S-Apple skins. Perfume-y, like a lilac. Some grape skins.

T-Corn. Slight sour aftertaste like apple juice. The most anemic bitters are detectable as well. Nothing else really.

M-Low full body. Not watery, a dash creamy. Low full/low high carbonation. Slightly spritz-y. This beer isn't thin nor flat, just too weak in feel. Hardly any bitter and/or sour tastes to speak of in the start, middle and finish.

O-A refreshing malt liquor with enough booze packed in at 5.6%. Purchase level is on a blue moon basis, once a year if that. Beer that can't be paired with food and isn't interesting or tasty enough to sit down and consume on its own. Just chug it away.

3.74/5  rDev +39%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Now this is a good go to malt liquor even though its on the low end of the ABV comparing it to the new high gravity/malt liquors such as hurricane and the steel brewing company.. This is one of a kind and Its a winner all around for a decent price. 7 dollars for a 12 pack after tax, so what if your friends drink that fancy stuff like MGD or High Life, Budweiser, Coors! Dont let it bother you if you want to bring it to a party and dig in! Keep it real! with Mickeys Malt Liquor!

3.22/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Ample carbonation both big ol' ginger ale style bubbles, medium and thin stream of carbonation. It's something I've never really seen before in a beer. A single finger of head stick around moderately well and produces a good amount of lace. The body is Lager gold.

Smell: What smell? I'm catching faint whiffs of Lager wet straw malt, and that's it. Nothing offensive here, but notably absent and boring.

Taste: This is an odd one...mainly because I wouldn't call it flavourful by any means. I mean it's basically a mixture of various lager malts and adjuncts that seem to calmly level out with a slight citrus and dusty taste to it. The hops are non-exsistant, but somehow they've worked the fair potent alcohol kick into substituting and doing a bang up job of it, as the more solvent aspect seems non existent. Maybe I'm being generous here...but the beer, despite not being overtly flavourful has this well done, professional taste to it.

Mouthfeel: Well the dustiness is a bit of a drag, but the carbonation is well done and doesn't go overboard, the aftertaste is very mild straw malt. The transitioning is good at keeping the beer a very steady drinking experience.

Drinkability: Thankfully this beer is surprisingly medium bodied, which prevents you from really packing it away oddly enough. It's easy to drink, but there is certainly a subtle aspect that the 5.5% stays in the back of your head.

Final Thoughts: With a slogan like "Mickey's - Get Stung" I was really expecting this to be an awful, high ABV solvent, get you drunk as cheaply and quickly as possible beer. However, what I found was really a cream of the crop stronger, adjuct lager that was done exceptionally well. There's honestly not a lot I can find fault with on this one.

2.82/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

As you can see from the label, Mickey’s is “Fine Malt Liquor”. So imagine a scenario where your buddy offers you a beer, while apologizing, saying something like, “Sorry. All I got is Mickey’s”. You might hesitate, knowing full well it isn’t the best tasting beer around and it will probably give you a headache before the night is over. But then, remembering the label, you can shrug your shoulders, extend your arm to grab yours and say, “It’s fine.”

2.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Enjoyed in the iconic wide-mouthed green bottle with riddle: "2 + picture of a hen + a picture of two animals that look like either cats or pigs + a picture of a winged insect" ... A fly! Got it! Extremely pale (just barely yellow) and uber-carbonated malt liquor with a sweet dank malt aroma like an old grainery full of corn husks. Ample corn on the nose is followed by the same on the palate, very sweet like old corn or corn syrup. A little fruity as well, maybe some almost vanilla-like floral notes. Extremely thin bodied and recalls soda water in this regard. Finish also pretty sweet with no discernible hop presence and a few fusel aromatics ... Not as much of the latter as higher ABV malt liquors. In all honesty this is not horrible if you realize beforehand what this beer style is supposed to embody: A sweet alcoholic tasting fizz bomb for mass consumption. I am tempted to try a Colt .45 now.

Mickey's from Miller Brewing Co.