Mickey's | Miller Brewing Co.

poor

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by pezoids on 07-03-2001

Reviews: 339 | Ratings: 1,243
3.02/5  rDev +12.3%

Sometimes you just gotta go with a cheap beer. This one being some what of a staple in my leaner days. They have UFC collector cans now I see, hmm, ok. I don't think anyone would really keep a can after having drank it, but who knows. Yellow, fizzy, smells like sweet corn. Tastes like sweet corn, but finishes surprisingly clean. I don't wanna let this thing warm up much lest it start getting rank. Overall not bad for what it is - a cheap, non offensive, lower abv malt liqour.

2.06/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured it into a pint glass. Yeah I know, a glass really?! Probably shouldn't have, after all the green keg big mouth bottle was sooo coool. I remember buying these in high school back in the dark ages. Just thought I would try something different but I was at the gas station! Not much in the way of choice or selection. $5.09 a 6 pack?

what can you say even a BMC makes these seem tasty. How many ways can you spell skunked. This is January and my bottle said November 30, 2009. A green bottle and out dated to boot. Skunked! I used to think this is what beer was supposed to taste like. Just one for old times sake. Certainly not for the taste. Oh yeah, the taste, did I mention skunked BMC? Well you get the idea...

4.17/5  rDev +55%

12 oz can poured into a pilsener glass:

A: Pours a dark yellow/light copper color, 2 finger head, mild carbonation. Head dies in about a minute, not much lacing

S: Sweet smell, some grains, not like the usual malt liquor

T: Rather sweet and malty, nothing unpleasant, can'y really detect any hops

M: Smooth and mellow, not at all harsh

D: Very drinkable, priced right for the quick buzz. I'd much rather drink a few mickeys than any ice beer for a quick buzz. Mickeys truley is Fine Malt Liquor.

3.83/5  rDev +42.4%

Mickey's is a classic, I love this stuff. Get's you feeling right & doesn't break the bank doing so. Smooth as silk & cheap as dirt. It's no Westy 12, but for a buck twenty, it can't be beat. The boys at Miller may not always come up with winners, but they sure as shit did here.

3.18/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearance - Pale yellow with a one-finger head that quickly dissipates a few minutes after pouring, no signs of carbonation.

Smell - Very rank. Sour with a touch of hops on the nose.

Taste - Smell does not carry forth thank god with the taste. Mild and a slight tinge on the pallet of carbonation.

Mouthfeel - Very very very smooth. Goes down and leaves a slight cleanse to the pallet. This is a malt liquor afterall.

Drinkability - Due to its ease of drinking, it's definitley drinkable. May get old after 3 or 4, but nonetheless a decent malt liquor.

2.76/5  rDev +2.6%

This is definatly not my Grandfather's Mickey's. Besides the strange new can with the weird bee (when I think beer, I think bee?) the taste seems a bit flat. I poured this brew into a standard pint glass and observed the pale yellow, almost straw color. The smell was typical and under-whelming, but really not an important aspect of this kind of beer. The taste was pretty good, much better than other malt liquors, strong sweet taste but counteracted by the bitter undercurrent. The mouth-feel was a bit more like a lager than I remembered, but ended up allowing me to enjoy it even more. All in all this beer is meant for drinking with friends on a nice summer evening while cooking up something on the grill, not for sitting in a room geeking out about. Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, but not for too steep of a critique.

2.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Can't tell you what it looks like as I have never poured this Malt Liquor into a glass ever in my life. Though I can tell you that it smells fine and taste better than most of the others in its class. Won't hurt your wallet and good enough.

This is better than a mass produced lager. It is cheap, thin, faintly hopped... more like some hops died and some tortured ghost was left behind, not very malty, and smooth... once upon a time. It's better than drinking... battery acid or an O'Douls.
It's a flavored malt beverage, without the flavor... and it's almost a beverage. I think I'm going to find some benedryl and take a nap, Iv'e been stung by six little mickey's... If I'm lucky, I'll dream of newport storms.

2.2/5  rDev -18.2%

Tasted in the "hand grenade" bottle with the little puzzles on the cap while watching a UFC fight for the sole reason because Mickey's is one of their sponsors, and the hornet looks pissed. As far as Malt Liquors go, it could be worse and this one is surprisingly sweet. Reminds me of college.

2.2/5  rDev -18.2%

Just finishing college and having a lot of experince of horrible beer and esp. malt beer, this is prob my favorite, still it ranks low compared of the full flavors that are out there, if one has to drink a malt beer, then this is the beer you should have, its one of my favs plus in the cool glass bottles!

2.7/5  rDev +0.4%

A: Pours a clear yellow no head to speak of (it's better left in the green 40 oz bottle)

S: a bit corny a bit skunky and a little metalic in aroma

T: malty and corny bit other than that not much flavor but that of cheap beer

M: not as watery as others but more carbonation than i like

D: i think i could handle about one 40 a year, i like OE better

3.13/5  rDev +16.4%

consumed 04-22-2010, 40oz into pint glass.

Big green 40oz bottle.. Poured a serving into pint glass..typical light golden color with lots of bubbles rising up.. Frothy white head that slowly dissipates to thin film.. smelled sweet, grainy, no hop presence.. Little skunky, cooked veggies... Not amazing but not offensive.. Taste is very plain.. Cooked veggies, grain, mild to medium sweetness, kind of watery... Carbonation is at a decent level..
Easy to drink and not as foul as other malt liquors..

3.8/5  rDev +41.3%

drank from a mickey's grenade wide mouth bottle, bought in a six pack.

A: not poured, I don't believe in pouring malt liquor into a glass. I'm guessing thin yellow, with minimal head.

S: a sweet blast of sugars, and malt, a slight hint of alcohol on the back end.

T: same as the smell, simple sugars, a little alcohol, and thin supply of malts to finish it off.

M: fairly thin, but thicker than some malt liquors on the market.

D: As always, poundable, completely enjoyable, and will get you buzzed for the right price, as for something to savor, find something else. Pansy.

2.82/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

As you can see from the label, Mickey’s is “Fine Malt Liquor”. So imagine a scenario where your buddy offers you a beer, while apologizing, saying something like, “Sorry. All I got is Mickey’s”. You might hesitate, knowing full well it isn’t the best tasting beer around and it will probably give you a headache before the night is over. But then, remembering the label, you can shrug your shoulders, extend your arm to grab yours and say, “It’s fine.”

3.4/5  rDev +26.4%

Not a lot of head retention, but looks decent.

Smells much better than most malt liquors-that's for sure-kinda sweet.

Taste is easy on the senses and I will always go to this if offered over any regular macro swill.

Perfect for the summer, Mickeys never really gets old to me- grew up with this.

4.26/5  rDev +58.4%

Mickey's is the malt liquor that makes the name worth it. Granted the whole idea that you play the brown paper bag hiding game, not right way to enjoy this delicious beverage. Get the six pack and enjoy the caps. The caps have nothing to do with taste but they definitely adds to the beer. If you can't solve a Mickey's cap in under 15 seconds put it down because the puzzle and Mickey's attraction...you don't understand it.

So the taste, it's a regular beer taste. It's enjoyable and doesn't over power with a liquor sting. It's the indulgence you have to hold on to. The six pack is affordable but willing grants access to inebriation. If you're going to "roll" with a malt liquor, this is the selection for that night.

3.5/5  rDev +30.1%

Probably one of my favorite Miller beers that was a popular and inexpensive drink choice back in our college days. Malt Liquor is not for everyone, but when I drink these beers from the widemouth “Green Grenade" I tend to lose count. Overall Mickey's has a mild sweet taste, some mild hops, low bitterness, high carbonation, and there’s a slight graininess to the palate that lingers into the finish. On football nights when friends come over they tend to pick out these beers over the higher rated ones.

2.51/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured a very yellow color with a thin retaining head. Immediatly smelled and tasted corn adjuncts. Tasted pretty sweet and malty. Not too bad for 1.50 a 40, definetly the better of the malt liqours. But if you were looking for a premium brew this isn't it, its just cheap beer.

3.72/5  rDev +38.3%

Mickey's I cant believe this stuff isnt rated among the tops 3's in malt liquor's , one of my fav beers with or without the differnt styles.

Appearance is plain , close to all the green bottle beers because I hardly ever pour malts out of the bottle.

The taste is pretty goot , It taste's like a dirty rolling rock / not as smooth but nice to drink or even slam at times.

Drinking this stuff is pretty easy , nothing you'll wanna puke on , simple because its a fine malt liquor and I recommend it too any beer drinker.

3.48/5  rDev +29.4%

12oz grenade 6 pack = $7 dollars at some podunk liquor store in Argos Indiana.

Mickeys has always been the "gentleman" of malt liquors to me...it dont really taste like a traditional malt liquor...its got that slight Heineken skunk to it but its more like a regular beer.

It can be a bit unwieldy in a 40 oz and you let it get warm...it turns really gassy and sweet.

served cold in the grenade...these are extremely poundable...my record is 3 seconds.lol

tastes more like a Heineken than a malt liquor...if Heineken is your bag...you may want to give Mickey's a try...just dont let it get too warm. If youre new to or want to try your first malt liquor....i definitely recommend Mickey's

3.1/5  rDev +15.2%

One of the better malt liquors. It tastes like a really good adjunct lager. There's nothing to compare it to other than Private Stock and Colt 45 and it's been tee than those. I'll always enjoy a Mickey's!

2.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Mickey's . . . it is what it is. Poured with a small, thin head into a pint glass (I know, I know . . .). Smell is grain and alcohol, better than most malts, but not particularly nice. Taste is inoffensive, a little sweet, and extremely easy to drink. The wide mouth (on the grenade 12 ozers) encourages one to consume Mickey's quickly, which is recommended. I occasionally experience a metallic aftertaste after consuming Mickey's, but it was pleasantly absent from this review.

A good choice for a malt liquor, and at 5.6% ABV, it's easy to have more than one.

1.85/5  rDev -31.2%

A - Three finger head, bland and light yellow. I can see right through it. Leaves a fair amount of smeared and dirty lacing on the glass.

S - Very sweet, almost sickly sweet. There's a touch of grain the smell, like freshly kneaded dough.

T - Malty with just an echo of hops. There's a sweetness backing this that makes me cringe a little, but not enough to repel me.

M - Texturally it finishes clean. The carbonation is noticeable, but just shy of being totally offensive. It leaves a nearly sickening aftertaste on the sides of the tongue and roof of my mouth.

D - If you're looking to get drunk, this is where it's at. Just don't look for a lot of taste. I've had this when I felt like telling myself I'm a broke badass, but I won't pick it up on my own when I have a few bucks to spare. Mickey's is an express ticket to heartburn and a lasting hangover.

1.43/5  rDev -46.8%

DAFUQ! WHY? Once the alcohol destroys your palate, it allows you to get past the chemicals used to make this atrocity. Once the alcohol hits your brain you tend not to give a shit. Low 5.6% abv? I had two 8%ers yeasterday and i didntmfeel this buzzed. Must be the impurities giving me instant hangover? I Hate You Miller!

2.88/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Looks like yellow, fizzy beer. No head. No lacing.

S: Low quality beer and metal smell. Not a pleasant smell, but not the worst I've experienced.

T: See above but replace "smell" with "taste." Metal taste with carbonation and not much else. Not very good at all.

M: Fizzy and watery. It doesn't stick to your tongue, though, which is a good thing.

D: Very drinkable, if you can stomach this stuff. I would only drink it if I were broke and higher gravity brews were unavailable.

Mickey's from Miller Brewing Co.