Icehouse Edge | Miller Brewing Co.

poor

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 57 | Ratings: 127
3.31/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

to me for a higher abv icehouse this is a pretty good bang for your buck.. I purchased a 24 ounce can for 1.10 after tax.. It pours your typical american adjunct lager color.. yellow fizzy water id say.. the smell is of musky corn.. the taste is actually nothing but a regular icehouse with a little more punch but the alcohol is not noticable.. So overall i say it is a okay beer, i cant complain ive had worse.. I give it a thumbs up !

3.12/5  rDev +25.8%

Reviewing against the malt liquor category, not the lager. To call it a lager is grossly negligent and clearly a macro swill pipe dream.

Pours a beautiful amber caramel with a nice off-white head, half inch, hung around until I began drinking it. Clarity is impeccable.

Nose gives away its pedigree. Macro, adjutant, and lacking any real hop character. Again, when compared against malt liquors, it is period and proper. A nice ML nose.

Taste is well balanced and pleasant. Corn and rice dominate, with perhaps a hint of real barley noted in the first 10-12 ounces. Mild sweetness. Bitterness on the finish. Caramel and wheatbread on the belch.

Supremely quaffable. Not the best ML, but a damn good variation.

Price is icing on the cake.

3.06/5  rDev +23.4%

Icehouse Edge brewed by Miller Co. This brew pours out a dark amber color with a small white head. Now this brew is 8.0 abv. The smell is sweet like male liquor. The tease is sweet as well it reminds me of a malt liquor even though it's a lager. I'm impressed on how smooth this brew goes down. There is nothing bad about this brew. I would get it again. Over all I'm giving this brew a 3 out 5.

1.8/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Me and 2 friends went on a beer run one of them points out these 24oz cans that are $1.75 ea. and says there like a step below Natural Ice which is what we get when we want a cheap buzz so at 8% alcohol I got us 2 a piece. Back at the pad we pour it into mugs and its a dark yellow golden color with a nice head looks good so I smell it and yuck its a putrid rotten dirty dish water chemical kind of smell thats when I hesitated but took a sip. I for sure was not impressed one bit. You can taste massive amounts of corn and there is that dirty dish water and chemical taste. Kinda sweet you can taste the alcohol but they do pretty good at covering it up. Bubbly mouthfeel which I dont complain about with good tasting beers but the texture makes it just more worse. Gave me the shits after drinking 2 and a head ache the next day which never happens I never get hang overs and I drank plenty of water with it. It got me pretty tipsy thats about all its good for.

2.54/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

got this for $2 at a closing albertson's and i didn't know what to expect , i like ice house and have been drinking some malt liquors lately so that may have something to do with my i like this ,

its not a great beer but i found it to me quite smooth and refreshing for a high gravity malt liquor .
sure it has the corn smell but it didn't seem as strong as others , it was also lite and fizzy but not overly carbonated like a Busch .

personally i think it's better than Natty Daddy but not night and day better just a step above.

to me it tasted like a stronger icehouse , not just a rip off bottom of the barrel swill ( stack , camo) thats the real bad stuff .

in my opinion if you like icehouse you may like this , but you probably have to have to be a little used to the strongness of high gravity lagers .

its worth a purchase. frankly i think its the best high gravity next to shlitz vsl

1.84/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

I like icehouse. i do NOT like icehouse edge.

it has a corny flavor but when you take a drink the alcohol flavor overpowers everything.
the taste is horrible. i agree with the other commenters about the chemical taste.

Right after drinking it, i felt hungover.

Drinking this will get you drunk, but not a good drunk. it makes your head hurt and makes you want to get some sleep.

2.88/5  rDev +16.1%

Meh. It's not the best beer I've ever drank, but, not the worst. It kinda burns going down. It has a strong taste that I can't really get myself to enjoy. I drank the whole can because I hate wasting things. But, this isn't something I'll purchase again. I've never tried regular Icehouse, and after this, I don't know if I want to.

2.18/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

I gave it a 3 on the mouth feel because I oddly enjoy the creamy fizziness. Can stuck out to me so I grabbed it. Taste is ok, real drinkable, not much of a flavor profile... It's just one of those beers you get if your looking for a cheap buzz... Feels so weird in the mouth... Like a mouth of fizzy whipped cream.

hehe...bought this on a whim at a gas station on the way home from work. I've had keystone before back during my younger days and before the craft beer Renaissance that is currently taking place here in Alabama. There is no way a person could enjoy this beer unless they were hoping to get drunk as quickly as possible. The taste is fizzy corn and nothing else. Save yourself from pissing later...you're already holding in your hand. Bad brew.

2.12/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from 24oz tall can into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium golden hue with a haze-free body and a strong effervescence. Head pours two to three fingers of very fizzy white foam which subsides quickly. Par for the style.

Smell: sweet with a small whiff of corn and plasticy adjunct character. Not great but pretty clean for the style.

Taste: drier than the aroma, but with a definite corn character. There's a light bitterness here too, which is better than nothing. Not a great beer, but for a high-gravity malt liquor, I feel like you could do a lot worse.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a fizzy carbonation that comes out of solution pretty quickly. Blerg.

Overall: don't kid yourself; this is pretty low-quality stuff. But for a can of high-grav malt liquor, there's worse stuff out there. Note of warning: don't let it warm up!

1.67/5  rDev -32.7%

As macro lagers go regular Icehouse is just fine. It doesn't really stand out from the pack in any notable way. Icehouse Edge on the other hand is horrible. I can't take enough sips of this to think about what exactly I'm tasting beyond something like Windex. While there is some kind of sweet flavor happening in here, the main and distracting thing is some kind of chemical cleanser taste. It is straight up bad. I can drink just about anything in the standard gas station line up. I almost never do, but once in a great while I will have some high school nostalgia and go get some cheap snacks and some tall boy cheapo macro lagers. But this is something else altogether. It is a horrid product. I got such a great deal on it and now I guess I understand why. I poured out all but a few sips of it. It may be the worst beer I have ever had.

1.12/5  rDev -54.8%

I'm not a beer snob, and I enjoy the merits of a cheap beer from time to time, but this is absolute garbage. I had one can and immediately felt hungover, which makes me seriously question its ingredients. I did have it cold, which should help, but any crispness was overtaken by a skunky, sweet taste.

This tastes a lot like many of the other not-so-bad malt liquors, but with a noticeable difference. It has an annoying metallic taste that just doesn't want to go away. Without it, it would be a great malt liquor. Or rather, it would be very inoffensive. It's right on the verge of being inoffensive. It's not nearly as disgustingly stale as the other ice malt liquor I've had, Bull Ice and it has a slight frothy yeast presence, but not to the excessive degree as Steel Reserve Triple Export. Haha! I bet you didn't think anyone could do such a serious comparison between malt liquors, but that's my job. I'm the malt liquor connoisseur.
I will likely never buy this again as there are definitely better malt liquors out there that are generally pretty easy to get.Though I wish they cost as little as this one cost me in the poorest, sketchiest part of Pensacola, Florida. $1.59/24 oz? Why is it that nothing costs that little in Austin? Except maybe Keystone or Busch. But I'd pay an extra 40 cents for an OE or a Natty Daddy anyway. It's worth it. They're noticeably better. Good flavour and more of it. This is relatively tasteless except for a hint of metal and yeast. Great for a bum. Not so great for me. I'm glad I got a chance to give it a try, though. Thanks, Florida.

2.21/5  rDev -10.9%

Appearance: Very cool can. Tattered aluminum design that tries to play to the PBR crowd.

Smell: Fresh biscuit malt. Not bad for a malt liquor

Taste/Mouthfeel: Extremely sour...extremely! Vinegar in a can. Good mouthfeel...nice carbonation.

Overall Drinkability: Pretty gross stuff overall. The flavor makes/breaks this. I feel like Miller could make big bucks marketing this stuff. It's cheap...high alcohol...and has a good design.

2.54/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Let's do a little free association here shall we?

Dusty brittle bubblegum from an old wax paper baseball card pack. Stale apple juice. Damp musty dishrag. Solventy rubber cement. All these things and more.

Crystalline gold, stray rising trails of carbonation. There's a decent head on it at first, and a few minutes later a broken skim remains after the first few sips. For a malt liquor to have a head, not to mention lace in the glass, is no small feat. Kudos MillerCoors, you should be proud.

Sweet corn, soggy cereal grains, and that dull taste after you lick a few to many envelopes after the holidays. Astringency is the problem with this one, too harsh and one dimensional, shot through with a bit too much CO2. An utterly typical malt liquor, not exactly bottom of the barrel, situated instead in the vast expanse of mediocrity instead. Still gonna reach for Hurricane over this every time. Even Steel Reserve is better.

BBD: JUN 15 13

2.84/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Taste is sweet, corny. Good head and bubbly. Really reminds me of St. Ides without the harsh ending. Got a couple of these to start the weekend out before switching to higher end beer. Does the trick; it's got a punch to it and no lingering assault on the taste buds. If you're looking for a good malt liquor this is one to buy.

2.9/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured a clean dark yellow with a thick and sticky white head, light lacing.

The smell is sweet and corny.

The flavor is mildly sweet with a touch of corn, no hops to speak off. The 8% is hidden quite well.

Has a touch of warmth in the overall thin and watery mouthfeel.

Not good, but does a good job of masking its strength, so its accomplishing what it sets out to, a tasteless high alcohol swill for those just looking for a cheap buzz.

2.67/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

24 ounce can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It has a golden body with thousands of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. It is topped by an inch of white head. It's actually a nice looking beer.

S - I get the aromas of alcohol and grain.

T - I get the pervasive taste of alcohol. The is some sweet grain taste, almost like sweet corn, that tries to combat the alcohol flavor.

M - Thin and watery

O - If I need a cheap beer I always look to malt liquors. They also have higher abv so I pick these up after work to relieve the stress of another day of hell.

1.68/5  rDev -32.3%

Very malty/ corny.. alcohol sweet.. swill. This has one good use. Getting wasted. Simple and plain. Not a brew you wanna sip or let warm up. For its style.. they do.a decent job but as far as quality.. it should be illegal... but i must say.. these will get you drunk... if your looking for a cheap strong buzz.. just grab a few of these

1.72/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Pours clear yellow with a one finger white head. No lacing.

S - A variety of berries, aluminum, slight rice grains.

T - Mixed berries, aluminum, slight rice grain, alcoholic finish.

M - Heavily carbonated with a medium body.

O - Overall, this is once again, just another cheap beer. I doubt I'd have again.

2.56/5  rDev +3.2%

24oz can no date into party cup

look is a golden orange typical for a 40, small frothy head. smell is buttery grain, corn, vodka. taste is alcoholic corn syrup, with a creamy body and mild carbonation.

tastes just like an adjunct with some vodka splashed into it. even ice cold this is a gnarly brew. avoid it.

2.41/5  rDev -2.8%

Chalk this up to The CANQuest (TM) returning to its (admittedly) dark roots. Many of the early CANs were of a less-than-stellar quality, but it pre-positioned the madness at the explosion of craft CANs. This was on the shelf at my neighborhood bottle shop, literally out my back door and across a small parking lot. My "neighbors" know that I will try anything once and are always happy when I find something in their inventory.

The Crack & Glug revealed another "Greg Koch Special" - a fizzy yellow beer for this wussy. Two fingers of dense, bone-white head sat atop the liquid and had such retention as to slow me down. Color was a pretty sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was not just sweet, but ridden with corn. I have mentioned silage before in reviews and here was yet another unpleasant example. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was like nail polish remover. It had a cloying sweetness which coupled with its high gravity ABV made it a roaring hangover CANdidate. Finish was likewise cloying sweet and nothing that would bear repeating.

2.44/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from can into pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a light golden color with a fizzy one finger white head. The head fade very vast to leave almost no lacing.

Smell – Bready, corny, and sweet. While it is a more classic malt style aroma, it is a little fresher than most and doesn't really have any metallic or papery smell. It even has a lighter lemon hop aroma. Not bad.

Taste – The taste begins of malt with some corn sweetness and a light citrus hop flavor. At the front it is smoother and somewhat pleasant, but then all goes downhill from there. At this point the citrus hop seems to give way to a metallic and alcohol flavor. These two flavors get stronger and drown out the nice flavors up front to leave a somewhat bitter, biting, burn on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the just above average side in terms of creaminess with a carbonation level that is very average.

Overall – While the aroma and initial tastes were quite nice for a malt, the finish to the taste was rather offensive. Not the best malt out there.

2.28/5  rDev -8.1%

Served in a shaker pint glass.

Finally found this stuff at a gas station whilst fillin' 'er up. It pours a clear sallow topped by a finger of white froth. The nose comprises corn, funky wheat, powdered sugar, and a faint hint of booze. The taste brings in more of the same, along with a strong vein of perfume-y vinyl. Nice. Real nice. Thanks for that one, there, guy. A bunch. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a pretty sad little beer. I honestly didn't expect too much from it, but it's bad regardless.

2.54/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a deep golden yellow color with a thin off white head that quickly shrunk. The smell is of sweet and sour grains, not much else besides it's slightly metallic. The taste is pretty much the same as the smell, lots of sweet grain and some metal, no hop's detectable. The beer is thick with low carbonation and a kind of syrupy feel. This beer isn't as bad as the other 8% cheap beers but it's still not that great, don't want to bash.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Icehouse Edge from Miller Brewing Co.