Redd's Apple Ale

View: Beers
Reviews: 191 | Ratings: 1,114 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
superspak from Ohio

4.05/5  rDev +48.4%

16 ounce can into tulip glass, best before 10/5/2020. Pours crystal clear deep golden/orange/amber color with a 1 finger foamy off head with good retention, that reduces to thin lace cap that lingers. Some spotty soapy lacing on the glass, clinging bubbles and streaming carbonation. Aromas and flavors of big juicy red/green apples, fruit peel, citrus, grain, white sugar, light caramel and herbal/grassy earthiness. Light herbal/grassy bitterness and alcohol spiciness on the finish. Lingering notes of juicy red/green apples, fruit peel, citrus, grain, white sugar, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Great robustness and balance of apples, and grain/sugar flavors; with a great malt/bitter/alcohol spiciness balance, and no cloying sweetness after the finish. Lightly increasing dryness from lingering bitterness and spicy alcohol. Fairly crisp/clean finishing. Medium-plus carbonation and light-medium body; with a very smooth moderately bready/grainy, and lightly sticky/acidic/syrupy/sticky mouthfeel that is great. Fairly crisp, clean and very refreshing. Zero warming 5% ABV. Overall this is a great fruit flavored flavored. All around great robustness and balance of apples, and grain/sugar flavors; very smooth and refreshing to drink for the ABV with the mildly bitter/spicy alcohol finish. A very enjoyable offering without feeling too artificial. Tasted much like other malt beverages I've had, but at a session ABV.

Jan 04, 2021
Dingbat88 from Louisiana

4.02/5  rDev +47.3%

Fruity beer is my weakness. It isn't anything special but man does it taste good. Pair a nice taste with good looks and smooth finish you have something. Not for everyone but you include fruit and I am interested.

Jul 17, 2020
realJohnnyHobo from Maryland

3.05/5  rDev +11.7%

Former SAB-Miller product, CoorsMiller today, originating from South Africa Redd's is an infused beer product with 'natural' food flavors with caramel added for color. 12 fl oz - clear - bottle condition 6 pack sold at higher-than-normal mark-up pricing.

Pours a golden caramel hue with a quickly dissipating white head with nearly no aggressive carbonation notes in its finished form. Look resembles that of a strong cider.

Smells of cheaply caramelized apples, slight white vinegar, and a strange added carbonation flair.

The taste notes include:
1. Carbonation, upfront with apple concentrate flavor.
2. The mid is sweetness, think sour apple, sulfates, with a sugar glaze on the tongue.
3. Final taste notes are of cinnamon, apples, and a lot of carbonation. nearly no distinguishable hops, malt, or barely - this is a beer, right?

Mouthfeel is that of a soft-cider, nearly mock-cider with too many watery notes. The mouthfeel reminds me of diced caramelized hot apples from a tv-dinner. Hardly any noticeable beer traits.

Feb 16, 2020
SAUbrewcrew from Michigan

3.28/5  rDev +20.1%

This brew describes itself in its name, “apple ale”. The smell is there on apples and does carry the apple taste as well with a slight beer taste on the back end. You get what you pay for here, an apple ale. Not really expensive, but nothing really extravagant.

Jul 30, 2019
1009 from Massachusetts

1.61/5  rDev -41%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Didn’t know it was a Miller product until after but that sure helps explaining why this was pure piss. Just awful. If you want apple, drink a cider. No thanks, never again. Thanks for playing.

Jun 30, 2019
Troy-Hawaii from Hawaii

Bought a 6-pack botles $7.98 Foodland
Smell of apple juice
Clear golden color
Light mouthfeel
Medium carbonation
Tastes like a watered down apple juice
Overall it delivers on what it says it is. Refreshing for hot days.

Jun 22, 2019
KLHBB from Colorado

3.08/5  rDev +12.8%

Really hard to rate because it’s a delicious sparkling apple juice but it’s not a cider and it’s for sure not a beer. Or an Ale. This Might be good for breakfast.

May 27, 2019
Buckeye55 from North Carolina

3.1/5  rDev +13.6%

I tried this one not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. Had a sweet apple taste. But not too sweet. Easy to drink, I would gave to rate it just a tick above average.

May 08, 2019
Aegelis from Delaware

1.46/5  rDev -46.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Looks normal, smells & tastes like ketchup with a little bit of apple juice. Some kind of sugary tomato like Chef Boyardee sauce? I was stunned and horrified at the same time. I am baffled, perplexed, befuddled, and bemused. One thing I'm definite of is that I won't be buying this again. Woodchuck is where it's at, Strongbow if Woodchuck is not available.

Dec 09, 2018
JimboBrews54 from Michigan

2.5/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

What is this, a want to be Blakes or a want to be weird version of Angry Orchard. I have tried to figure this one out and it still is a strange flavor profile. I think it reminds of weirdly skunked cider than it does beer.

Oct 08, 2018
gandres from Philippines

2.66/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 9:03 PM Bottle poured to pint glass very cold beer
Sight: Light amber,clear, small white foam that quickly disappears
Aroma: not a lot aroma, apple on drinking
Taste: sweet
Mouth feel: tart, carbonated
Overall: good beer, repeat: no look for: no

Apr 26, 2018
Bensbeersgood from Wisconsin

1.7/5  rDev -37.7%

Tastes terrible for a cider. No head, tastes off and isn't comparable to other ciders on the market. Pay attention, some of these are actually malt liquor.

Dec 21, 2017
OzmanBey from Massachusetts

4.61/5  rDev +68.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I was interested in this product for a while but assumed it would just taste like cider, to my delight it retained the apple without that cider dryness that cider's tend to have. It tasted like an apple that was less harsh than cider, a bit more rounder and it didn't have that funk aftertaste. Went down smooth, I really dug it.

Oct 08, 2017
ICTguy21 from Kansas

1.84/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

One was left at my house after a party and I couldn't let it go to waste.

Look: looks like apple juice, added caramel color, no head, bubbles consistently rising to the surface

Smell: sweet apples and a bit of caramel, has a slight artificial quality to it

Taste: taste of kinda sweet kinda tart artificial apples, try as I might I can't pick out any flavors common of beer

Feel: super carbonated like pop, dry finish

Overall: this is basically a hard cider, nothing ale about it. Not an enjoyable drink, too artificial tasting and carbonation is too high. Even if you're wanting a hard cider there's much better options such as angry orchard.

Aug 11, 2017
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

3.59/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Incredible! I have been working diligently to eradicate The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody as well as getting The CANQuest (tm) back on track. This has enabled me to CANduct a number of brewery horizontals, but even I was incredulous when I realized that I have a slew of Redd's Ales of various stripes with which to not only perform a horizontal, but also a number of bottle/CAN side-by-sides. I began simply, at the beginning with a BT/12-fl. oz. CN/16-fl. oz. CN combination.

From the Bottle: "An Exceptionally Crisp Apple Ale".

I was denied the pleasure of the Pop! of the cap since this came in a screwed-up screw-top bottle. Grr. An aggro pour to vent my frustration formed a finger of fizzy, bone-white head that quickly dissipated into wisps. Color was solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a CANdy-like apple sweetness, like Red Delicious, but cooked up in a chem lab. Hmm. It also had a slight tartness, like a blend of Red Delicious & Granny Smith, but still with an artificial quality. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but not much beyond it. The taste was odd - not bad, but if it was meant to evoke the Red Delicious on the label, then it was missing its mark. It should have been much sweeter, but instead, it had a light tartness & I would stand by my Granny Smith analogy if I were challenged. Hmm. Hey, I realize that I am not the intended audience, but still, it should be accessible to everyone. Finish continued to have a dry, slightly tart quality, but it was not what I was expecting, especially with Redd's Green Apple Ale on-deck. YMMV.

From the 12-fl. oz. CAN: "An Exceptionally Crisp Apple Ale".

I Crack!ed open the CAN & CANmenced an inverted Glug, but I did not get any head off of the pour! NONE. Extremely disappointing, especially when even a vigorous in-glass swirl failed to raise anything. Grr. Color was solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was a tad sweeter than it had been in the bottle, but I was still getting an underlying tartness that did not seem to mesh with the idea of a Red Delicious apple. Mouthfeel was thin & watery. The taste was unquestionably apple, but the slight tartness marred the presentation. It may have been my pre-CANceived notion, but a big red apple on the label spells "sweet" to me & this was not sweet. Finish was actually semi-dry, reinforcing that idea of an unexpected light-tartness. Hmm.

From the 16-fl. oz. CAN: "An Exceptionally Crisp Apple Ale".

It goes against my better judgement, but following the Crack! on this pounder CAN, I actually attempted an inverted Glug! The glass filled rapidly, but there was no head forming. Wha?!? Even a vigorous in-glass swirl failed to rouse any form of life in this ale. 8=( Color seemed a little lighter than in the previous two, coming in as Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity. The Gelt Gang rang me to say that they were taking a pass, more evidence that this was not very CANpelling. Nose was MUCH sweeter than in the previous two iterations! There was a faint tartness, but nowhere near as pronounced as earlier! OMFG. How do they manage to do these things? I don't know, but this tasted like a sweet Red Delicious apple, which is what I think that they were always shooting for. The taste was quite sweet, which may be off-putting for some (usually including me), but in this case, it was what was to & should have been expected. Now, I am EXTREMELY curious as to the Green Apple Ale. The finish here was sweet, but exactly as it should have been.

The CANundrum: How do I assign scores to such wildly divergent flavors & presentations? Hmm.

Jul 23, 2017
EMH73 from New York

2.56/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Looks like apple juice with no head and no lacing, some carbonation bubbles are visible. Smells like apple juice and tastes like carbonated apple juice, really nothing to it.

Jul 05, 2017
Delekhan from Oregon

2.34/5  rDev -14.3%

Had this in a bottle because my wife was interested. Honestly it was pretty bad in my opinion. The smell was a mix of apples and typical macrobrew smell and taste was surprisingly pure apples. I honestly didn't enjoy this as the alcohol/sugar combo made my head hurt and it wasn't an overall pleasant experience. Not bad if you want a beer that doesn't have anything resembling a beer, but it is an exceptionally flat taste with a lot of carbonation. I would honestly prefer a nice cider over this and I am not even a big fan of ciders. Probably a nice introduction to beer for those who are adverse to beer tastes, but otherwise it does not have much to offer.

May 09, 2017
Beejay from Virginia

2.29/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Golden amber in color with nary a bit of head on top.

S: Smells like apple juice with a touch of booze in there. Almost slightly acidic, basically it smells like sweet sour.

T: Sugar, and apple juice. This is sparkling alcoholic apple juice. Very sweet. Like apple diabetes in a glass.

M: Thin, with moderate carbonation.

O: Overall, this is apple alcohol candy. I could see it appealing to 10th graders.

May 06, 2017
beerguy04 from Illinois

Pours an apple juice color with no head. Smells like apples. Taste has a sweet apple taste too it. Mouthfeel is hoppy and watery. Lacked the crispness of a hard cider. Overall, I feel this beer is okay. But, I would for an actual hard cider if I'm in the mood for apples.

Jan 10, 2017
RJLarse from Washington

2.98/5  rDev +9.2%

I bought a six-pack of Redd's Apple Ale in a grocery store. Poured in to a pilsner glass.

Pours a crystal clear gold color with a little fizz but no head to speak of.

Smell is a little like a artificial apple juice aroma.

Taste is OK. Not what I would call a beer flavor, not bitterness. More of a sparkling cider.

Mouthfeel is also cidery, somewhat cloying.

Overall an OK beverage. I guess it's an ale, but I'm not sure I'd call it a beer.

Oct 03, 2016
PhillyB from New York

3.4/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Look: Artificial amber with no head to speak of.

Smell: We have apple trees on my property. After the apples fall off and have been sitting on the ground for a few weeks this is what it smells like.

Taste: Much better than the aroma, and actually pretty enjoyable. Like a mildly hard cider.

Feel: Slightly carbonated apple juice.

Overall: I was pleasantly surprised by this brew. Don't get me wrong, there are far better examples of apple ales out there, but this is an entirely enjoyable and drinkable option.

Aug 16, 2016
AndrewMichael from Virginia

2.5/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle, 2.5 is my go to rating for any beer that is drinkable. I like apply juice, so what can be wrong with an "alcoholic apple juice". Not too crazy standing out, just a drinkable, sweet, fruit beer.

Jul 09, 2016
Rock_Glenn from New York

2.22/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Pours liquid gold with a very bubbly head. The smell is that of Apples, lots of apples. The taste is also that of Apples, drinks very similar to a fizzy apple cider, or pear cider. The apple flavor is ok, but I generally find it to taste artificial. The carbonation is reminiscent to that of champagne, but the overall thickness is too much, and it simply doesn't drink like an ale.

May 31, 2016
MusaJames from Texas

3.55/5  rDev +30%

I happen to be a great fan of hard cider, that being said I understand this is an ale somehow. Other than the difference in the name I felt it came off like a hard cider. Nice and crisp, good apple flavor without too much sweetness. Apple flavored beer done damn well.

May 28, 2016
jettjon from Florida

2.65/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

From a tallboy purchased at a gas station (was not going to risk a 12 pack of these) into a cold mug with ice. Color of apple juice with huge fizzy head that rapidly fades to nothing. Nose of sweet apple juice, but not overly sweet. Taste-wise, it’s basically carbonated apple juice. Not way-over-the-top-super-cloying cider, but just a nice alcoholic apple juice. Like maybe apple juice, a good vodka, and seltzer. This is by no means terrible but not anything to write home about either. I’m glad I just bought one.

Apr 21, 2016
Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 65 out of 100 with 1114 ratings