Redd's Apple Ale | Miller Brewing Co.

poor

Reviews: 170 | Ratings: 1,016
Reviews by Botulizard:
1.75/5  rDev -34.9%

4.5/5  rDev +67.3%

This is beer? This has alcohol in it? I thought I was drinking soda?!

I think it's a great beer for what it is; a fruit beer. Or as I think of it, a fruit "beer soda". It honestly tastes like a beer you'd give a child if that was a legal thing to do. I think it's a perfect beer for someone who doesn't like beer. It's a beer that should be enjoyed under a 90 degree summer day at noon when it's really bright.

1.63/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 1 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I got this at the Jewel/Osco store in Glendale Heights, IL as part of a build-your-own six pack for $9.99, making this single can $1.67. Surprised to learn this was a Miller product as there is no mention of Miller on the can.

The beer has a clear apple juice color with lots of spritzy carbonation bubbles, but it produces zero head and zero lacing.

Smells like sour apples.

Tastes like carbonated apple cider. It's a bit tart and a bit sour, but totally un-beer like.

Light bodied and spritzy with high carbonation.

This is pretty disgusting stuff. It's not even good as a cider.

1.24/5  rDev -53.9%

Woodman's was offering a free 4-pack of 16-oz cans with a case of any Miller product. I bit.

A: Crystal clear, urine color. The head dissipated faster than any other beer I've seen!

S: Aweful. Smells like a bad champaign. Worst smelling beer I've ever encountered.

T: Aweful. Yuck. Tough to choke it down.

M: Medium body, nicely carbonated.

O: Horrible.

3.58/5  rDev +33.1%

It's not the best beer, okay? It doesn't quite taste like a beer, it doesn't quite taste like a hard cider. But y'know what? It's pretty good, for what it's trying to be: a sweet alcoholic beverage that tastes like apple, but isn't just another cider. It does that pretty well.

My wife picked up a single bottle as part of a make-your own six pack. She was almost interested in trying it (she doesn't like beer), and then I opened the bottle, took a whiff, and the overwhelming stench of apple cider vinegar assaulted my nose. I allowed it to come up in temp a few degrees, and the flavor got far worse. Way too fizzy, pale yellow, and like one other reviewer stated, I think it actually gave me a low grade migraine. I only rated it at a 1 because there isn't a 0 or less than a 1. Ugh, I rank this in the 'why did we waste the money' category.

2.8/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Had this at the Orlando Gaylord, pool side, in a can poured into a plastic cup.

Okay, first off, I don't think this is in any way an Ale. It's way more like a hard cider and that's how I'm going to review it.

A: clear golden colored body leaving a half finger white fizzy head that rapidly died. Lots of fast rising bubbles were seen.

S: apple cider with faint caramel in the background.

T: extremely sweet with apple cider and caramel dominating.

M: light with some harshness on the tongue. It was somewhat smooth as it warmed. It was very sessionable, leaving a sweet dry aftertaste and finish.

Ice cold on a hot day this can work but otherwise I'm staying away.

2.5/5  rDev -7.1%

3.12/5  rDev +16%

2.92/5  rDev +8.6%

2.48/5  rDev -7.8%

2.08/5  rDev -22.7%

2.9/5  rDev +7.8%

Everything about this apple seemed like a cider. It had an orangey amber and gold colour, and smelled like an apple cider. It was very carbonated, and yet again, tasted like a cider. Crisp finish, no lingering flavors or aftertaste. It wasn't that bad, but was not that remarkable either.

Would I buy this beer again? Probably not.

3.64/5  rDev +35.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

One of our younger guests brought a case of this to our Christmas party this year. As a beer lover I was a little put off, thinking it was an apple cider, a beverage which I am not a fan of. All of the younger folk were drinking this during the evening and passing over my offerings of craft beer and macro lagers. When the party was over there were a few bottles left, and being only 5% ABV, I decided to give it a try. The label reads "Ale with natural apple flavor and caramel color" which made me curious so I opened one and gave it a try.

There is a mild, pleasant apple juice aroma which is enticing. Does not taste like beer at all, but like apple juice light. Extremely drinkable and would pair well with any food you would be likely to find at a party. Not overly sweet, but extremely smooth and refreshing. Even as a 63 year old life-long beer lover I was somewhat impressed. Devoid of any bitterness it is an interesting beverage. Good enough that I decided not to discard the remaining bottles. It is much better than apple cider, but somewhat one dimensional. Sweet apple flavor but the finish is, well like drinking apple juice. I can understand why the millennials like this, after drinking apple juice as kids, but it does not have the complexity that a real beer lover would find desirable.

4.75/5  rDev +76.6%

2.48/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

2.45/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Looks like carbonated apple juice. Is it weird that the carbonation bubbles are sort of spiraling upwards instead of heading straight up? No head to speak of. Good clarity. Smells VERY sweet. Think Musselman's apple juice. The taste? Musselman's apple juice with an alcoholic kick. Mouthfeel Is fairly carbonated. Fail.

2.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.