Redd's Apple Ale | Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

Reviews: 183 | Ratings: 1,094
Reviews by Jgivens:
2.75/5  rDev +0.7%

4.5/5  rDev +64.8%

This is beer? This has alcohol in it? I thought I was drinking soda?!

I think it's a great beer for what it is; a fruit beer. Or as I think of it, a fruit "beer soda". It honestly tastes like a beer you'd give a child if that was a legal thing to do. I think it's a perfect beer for someone who doesn't like beer. It's a beer that should be enjoyed under a 90 degree summer day at noon when it's really bright.

1.63/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 1 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I got this at the Jewel/Osco store in Glendale Heights, IL as part of a build-your-own six pack for $9.99, making this single can $1.67. Surprised to learn this was a Miller product as there is no mention of Miller on the can.

The beer has a clear apple juice color with lots of spritzy carbonation bubbles, but it produces zero head and zero lacing.

Smells like sour apples.

Tastes like carbonated apple cider. It's a bit tart and a bit sour, but totally un-beer like.

Light bodied and spritzy with high carbonation.

This is pretty disgusting stuff. It's not even good as a cider.

3.58/5  rDev +31.1%

It's not the best beer, okay? It doesn't quite taste like a beer, it doesn't quite taste like a hard cider. But y'know what? It's pretty good, for what it's trying to be: a sweet alcoholic beverage that tastes like apple, but isn't just another cider. It does that pretty well.

My wife picked up a single bottle as part of a make-your own six pack. She was almost interested in trying it (she doesn't like beer), and then I opened the bottle, took a whiff, and the overwhelming stench of apple cider vinegar assaulted my nose. I allowed it to come up in temp a few degrees, and the flavor got far worse. Way too fizzy, pale yellow, and like one other reviewer stated, I think it actually gave me a low grade migraine. I only rated it at a 1 because there isn't a 0 or less than a 1. Ugh, I rank this in the 'why did we waste the money' category.

3.64/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

One of our younger guests brought a case of this to our Christmas party this year. As a beer lover I was a little put off, thinking it was an apple cider, a beverage which I am not a fan of. All of the younger folk were drinking this during the evening and passing over my offerings of craft beer and macro lagers. When the party was over there were a few bottles left, and being only 5% ABV, I decided to give it a try. The label reads "Ale with natural apple flavor and caramel color" which made me curious so I opened one and gave it a try.

There is a mild, pleasant apple juice aroma which is enticing. Does not taste like beer at all, but like apple juice light. Extremely drinkable and would pair well with any food you would be likely to find at a party. Not overly sweet, but extremely smooth and refreshing. Even as a 63 year old life-long beer lover I was somewhat impressed. Devoid of any bitterness it is an interesting beverage. Good enough that I decided not to discard the remaining bottles. It is much better than apple cider, but somewhat one dimensional. Sweet apple flavor but the finish is, well like drinking apple juice. I can understand why the millennials like this, after drinking apple juice as kids, but it does not have the complexity that a real beer lover would find desirable.

1.24/5  rDev -54.6%

Woodman's was offering a free 4-pack of 16-oz cans with a case of any Miller product. I bit.

A: Crystal clear, urine color. The head dissipated faster than any other beer I've seen!

S: Aweful. Smells like a bad champaign. Worst smelling beer I've ever encountered.

T: Aweful. Yuck. Tough to choke it down.

M: Medium body, nicely carbonated.

O: Horrible.

This is hard apple cider brewed like ale. You can't compare it with beer or traditional ale. As a hard cider it has an excellent flavor and finish. It tastes like fresh batch cider before it begins to get bitter with age. I personally can't compare it with beer or ale because they are completely different animals. As a cider it is wonderful but as a beer it is terrible. It's like expecting steak and tasting shrimp.

2.81/5  rDev +2.9%

Redd's Apple Ale is by no means a "craft beer". It's marketed to mainstream beer drinkers (and those who find the taste of beer offensive) and is owned by the world-renowned Miller Corporation (sarcasm). Anyway, I hate to say it, but I like this one. It starts sweet, finishes tart, and goes down really, really easy. You'll have three, four, five, six of them before you even realize it. I can't help but enjoy this even though I know that, based on everything I know about ale, this really shouldn't be so enjoyable. Now, there's no denying that Redd's uses artificial flavoring including caramel color, which gives it that irresistible (albeit fake) beautiful color. It's not going to pour a large head, nor is it going to have any complicated hop/malt flavors. But, for a mid-summer beer aiming to quench thirst, it manages to get the job done. Am I embarrassed that I drink it? Yes. But does it accomplish what it sets out to do? Yes. Snub your nose at it if you wish, but have a couple and you'll want a couple more.

Bottom line: I know this isn't supposed to be "good", but I'm not going to apologize for drinking it once in a while.

1.5/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

It's a watered down mess of alcohol

3.43/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.43/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.48/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

gay beer

3.75/5  rDev +37.4%

3.5/5  rDev +28.2%

2.5/5  rDev -8.4%

2.67/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

1.75/5  rDev -35.9%

3.7/5  rDev +35.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 1 | overall: 3.75

appearance-looks like apple juice

smell- smells like apple cider

taste- tastes like apple cider with a hint of beer taste

feel-i have no idea

overall-great for people who dont like the taste of beer.

3.25/5  rDev +19%

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 2.73 out of 5 with 1,094 ratings