Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Redd's Apple Ale | Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

Added by Pegasus on 11-18-2012

Ratings: 1,055 |  Reviews: 178
2.51/5  rDev -8.1%

4.61/5  rDev +68.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I was interested in this product for a while but assumed it would just taste like cider, to my delight it retained the apple without that cider dryness that cider's tend to have. It tasted like an apple that was less harsh than cider, a bit more rounder and it didn't have that funk aftertaste. Went down smooth, I really dug it.

2.63/5  rDev -3.7%

1.9/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

3.62/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

1.84/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

One was left at my house after a party and I couldn't let it go to was.

Look: looks like apple juice, added caramel color, no head, bubbles consistently rising to the surface

Smell: sweet apples and a bit of caramel, has a slight artificial quality to it

Taste: taste of kinda sweet kinda tart artificial apples, try as I might I can't pick out any flavors common of beer

Feel: super carbonated like pop, dry finish

Overall: this is basically a hard cider, nothing ale about it. Not an enjoyable drink, too artificial tasting and carbonation is too high. Even if you're wanting a hard cider there's much better options such as angry orchard.

2.72/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

3.59/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Incredible! I have been working diligently to eradicate The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody as well as getting The CANQuest (tm) back on track. This has enabled me to CANduct a number of brewery horizontals, but even I was incredulous when I realized that I have a slew of Redd's Ales of various stripes with which to not only perform a horizontal, but also a number of bottle/CAN side-by-sides. I began simply, at the beginning with a BT/12-fl. oz. CN/16-fl. oz. CN combination.

From the Bottle: "An Exceptionally Crisp Apple Ale".

I was denied the pleasure of the Pop! of the cap since this came in a screwed-up screw-top bottle. Grr. An aggro pour to vent my frustration formed a finger of fizzy, bone-white head that quickly dissipated into wisps. Color was solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a CANdy-like apple sweetness, like Red Delicious, but cooked up in a chem lab. Hmm. It also had a slight tartness, like a blend of Red Delicious & Granny Smith, but still with an artificial quality. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but not much beyond it. The taste was odd - not bad, but if it was meant to evoke the Red Delicious on the label, then it was missing its mark. It should have been much sweeter, but instead, it had a light tartness & I would stand by my Granny Smith analogy if I were challenged. Hmm. Hey, I realize that I am not the intended audience, but still, it should be accessible to everyone. Finish continued to have a dry, slightly tart quality, but it was not what I was expecting, especially with Redd's Green Apple Ale on-deck. YMMV.

From the 12-fl. oz. CAN: "An Exceptionally Crisp Apple Ale".

I Crack!ed open the CAN & CANmenced an inverted Glug, but I did not get any head off of the pour! NONE. Extremely disappointing, especially when even a vigorous in-glass swirl failed to raise anything. Grr. Color was solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was a tad sweeter than it had been in the bottle, but I was still getting an underlying tartness that did not seem to mesh with the idea of a Red Delicious apple. Mouthfeel was thin & watery. The taste was unquestionably apple, but the slight tartness marred the presentation. It may have been my pre-CANceived notion, but a big red apple on the label spells "sweet" to me & this was not sweet. Finish was actually semi-dry, reinforcing that idea of an unexpected light-tartness. Hmm.

From the 16-fl. oz. CAN: "An Exceptionally Crisp Apple Ale".

It goes against my better judgement, but following the Crack! on this pounder CAN, I actually attempted an inverted Glug! The glass filled rapidly, but there was no head forming. Wha?!? Even a vigorous in-glass swirl failed to rouse any form of life in this ale. 8=( Color seemed a little lighter than in the previous two, coming in as Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity. The Gelt Gang rang me to say that they were taking a pass, more evidence that this was not very CANpelling. Nose was MUCH sweeter than in the previous two iterations! There was a faint tartness, but nowhere near as pronounced as earlier! OMFG. How do they manage to do these things? I don't know, but this tasted like a sweet Red Delicious apple, which is what I think that they were always shooting for. The taste was quite sweet, which may be off-putting for some (usually including me), but in this case, it was what was to & should have been expected. Now, I am EXTREMELY curious as to the Green Apple Ale. The finish here was sweet, but exactly as it should have been.

The CANundrum: How do I assign scores to such wildly divergent flavors & presentations? Hmm.

2.56/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Looks like apple juice with no head and no lacing, some carbonation bubbles are visible. Smells like apple juice and tastes like carbonated apple juice, really nothing to it.

1.92/5  rDev -29.7%

3.96/5  rDev +45.1%

3.49/5  rDev +27.8%

2.68/5  rDev -1.8%

1.5/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2.48/5  rDev -9.2%

2.98/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.34/5  rDev -14.3%

Had this in a bottle because my wife was interested. Honestly it was pretty bad in my opinion. The smell was a mix of apples and typical macrobrew smell and taste was surprisingly pure apples. I honestly didn't enjoy this as the alcohol/sugar combo made my head hurt and it wasn't an overall pleasant experience. Not bad if you want a beer that doesn't have anything resembling a beer, but it is an exceptionally flat taste with a lot of carbonation. I would honestly prefer a nice cider over this and I am not even a big fan of ciders. Probably a nice introduction to beer for those who are adverse to beer tastes, but otherwise it does not have much to offer.

2.47/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.29/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Golden amber in color with nary a bit of head on top.

S: Smells like apple juice with a touch of booze in there. Almost slightly acidic, basically it smells like sweet sour.

T: Sugar, and apple juice. This is sparkling alcoholic apple juice. Very sweet. Like apple diabetes in a glass.

M: Thin, with moderate carbonation.

O: Overall, this is apple alcohol candy. I could see it appealing to 10th graders.

3.27/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.62/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev +39.6%

2.27/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 2.73 out of 5 with 1,055 ratings