Redd's Apple Ale | Miller Brewing Co.

poor

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Pegasus on 11-18-2012

Reviews: 170 | Ratings: 1,019
2.74/5  rDev +1.9%

Never would have tried this on my own, but was given a 6 pack by a friend who doesn't know my taste all that well.

I'm not going to pour this since I can see the beer through the clear bottle. The color is a very diluted caramel, you could hardly tell this from a ginger ale soda.

S- Smell is very nice, but it's worth noting that a lot of it is probably artificial. "Natural apple flavors and caramel color" added.

T- This can't be considered beer. It tastes remarkably like hard cider, but without any funky aftertaste. In fact, it's very similar to apple soda. Just the one apple note, no hops or malt, surprisingly clean and drinkable.

M- Thin, seriously fizzy.

O- This is a pretty tasty drink, but it's not beer. It couldn't even be a gateway for people to get into 'real' beer because it has no beer flavor to speak of. A fruity, crisp refreshing drink that is mislabeled and advertised as 'ale.'

2.5/5  rDev -7.1%

I did not care for this beer at all. It smelled of apples, but as soon as you take a drink it tasted like apple juice. Very disapointed in this beer. Just goes to show, just because there's a big flashy advertising campaign, you can present a turd in a golden wrapper, but it's still a turd.

2.49/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

I tried this ale with no research going in. After the first few sips I thought it wasn't to bad, but after this "ale" warms up to room temperature the flavor becomes disgusting to me. I found that I have to finish these quickly due to the better tasting part disappearing so quickly. The smell is that of sort sort of chemical mixed with low quality apple juice. Just by reading some small print at the bottom of the sticker on the bottle, one can see that Redd's Apple Ale is an "Ale with natural apple flavor and caramel coloring." Immediately this made me realize that I'm most likely drinking unhealthy high fructose corn syrup (Just speculation), and most likely some sort of strong apple concentrate. However, I would recommend this to someone who wants the alcohol content of beer, but can't stand the taste. It falls into the same category as a Mike's Hard Lemonade, but I personally believe that it doesn't have the flavor to compete.

4.75/5  rDev +76.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Easily my favorite "cheap" beer. Many cheap beers have a bitter taste even for beer. This one, has a fairly sweet and crisp taste to it. Like an apple. To me it pretty much does look like a normal beer, a yellowish color and all, but don't let that fool you. It's one of the tastier cheap beers out there.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a lambic flute...because I'm a loser. BB DEC0913. Pours a crystal clear light amber body that sort of resembles apple juice? Plenty of rising carbonation but with zero head. Aroma is that of stale sparkling apple cider with a lingering unidentifiable chemical. This was not meant to be smelled. Taste is at least pleasing. Apples like the freeze dried kind found in Quaker oatmeal mashes up with some light malt sweetness and a faint spice. It's not horribly fake tasting or at all offensive. It's actually somewhat tasty and drinkability is high. Mouth feel is crisp with flavors fading away quickly. Unlike ciders its not syrupy or too sweet. Smells awful, tastes all right. It's not the worst thing ever.

3.15/5  rDev +17.1%

A The beer was clear yellow, and poured with almost no noticeable head, and no lacing.
There were carbonation bubbles but not many, and they gave a false impression of what
was to come.

S The smell was slightly malty to me, and had the distinct smell of apple.

T This is where the beer really let me down. Having seen the carbonation bubbles I was
hoping for a beer that would tingle on the tongue, but instead it was more like what could
be described as apple juice poured into a flat beer.

M Mouth feel was rather thin and watery. Had this beer been more carbonated, I would
have enjoyed it more.

O Overall I would drink this beer if it was given to me, but if I am after an apple flavored
alcoholic drink I would much rather have an Angry Orchard hard cider.

2.82/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not a bad alternative option from miller coors. Saw a single can where i play lottery and figured 'what the heck.' poured into plastic cup halfway thru. Much better out of can chilled. Will buy again when i want something different. Paired well with takeout pizza from Casey's.

2.41/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint. No real head and no lacing. Smell is sweet apple with no discernible beer characteristics.

I tried this in a pick 6. This in no way resembles an ale. It's sort of hard cideresque, but more like apple juice meets Zima. There are no hops at all. It's pretty sweet. The only qualities it shares with ale is that it has bubbles and is golden in color. All that said, it's not a bad warm weather beverage. It is moderately refreshing and a happy little buzz.

2.8/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Had this at the Orlando Gaylord, pool side, in a can poured into a plastic cup.

Okay, first off, I don't think this is in any way an Ale. It's way more like a hard cider and that's how I'm going to review it.

A: clear golden colored body leaving a half finger white fizzy head that rapidly died. Lots of fast rising bubbles were seen.

S: apple cider with faint caramel in the background.

T: extremely sweet with apple cider and caramel dominating.

M: light with some harshness on the tongue. It was somewhat smooth as it warmed. It was very sessionable, leaving a sweet dry aftertaste and finish.

Ice cold on a hot day this can work but otherwise I'm staying away.

3.97/5  rDev +47.6%

Hot day on the golf course and an ice cold Redd's! Excellent! Plus it is going to help save the Apple industry. Anyone thinking that it is going to taste like a regular ale did not read the label for Apple. It may not be your every day always go to hear but it is extremely refreshing what you are hot and cold. I would guess that nine out of 10 people that I have had try it enjoyed it also and they are true Dear drink. Don't be afraid to give it a try you will enjoy.

2.98/5  rDev +10.8%

not bad, just confused. clear bottle (?), pours thin, no beer-like head or lacing. goes down like a carb'd apple cider. sweet. a bit too sweet for my tastes, but not necessarily unpleasant. i don't see or taste any beer qualities whatsoever. my friends insisted i check this out ("it's awesome!"), so i finally tried it, with reservations. i'm not sure why it says ale on the bottle, it clearly (pun intended) isn't, but on a hot summer day, it might hit the spot. i'm rating it against what i think miller is trying for, because if i reviewed it as an ale, it'd be a flop.

2.67/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

When you label a beverage an ale you subject yourself to the scrutiny of the BA Community, so despite this being an easy buzz I feel that it should be reviewed as an ale.

The color is much like a ginger ale, with loads of carbonation and a pale amber hue. No head to speak of and absolutely no lacing.

The scent is of Apple juice/cider with an airy sweet aroma. Pleasant for an alcoholic beverage but not particularly substantive.

This tastes like a carbonated cider with artificial flavoring and no actual beer quality. It leaves one perplexed as to how to rate it because it is sweet and easy to drink and if one was looking for easy inebriation this will do it. As an actual ale, perhaps brewed with apples it is not but a drink to get your girlfriend drunk, it's a sure bet.

2.57/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint.

A: Golden hue. Effervescence is pervasive. No real head and no lacing.

S: Crisp, sour apple and a little grain, and a little vomit or diarrhea.

T: Light sweet apple, not much else.

M: Light body, crisp and refreshing. Has something of a synthetic sweet character to it.

D: Session.

Atmosphere is fair. Lots of effervescence but no head or lacing. A little sour apple and that's it. Similarly, light and crisp body with a light sour apple flavor, and synthetic sweet finish. Overall, this is a serviceable quaff.

3.43/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beverage surprised me. Its not overly flavorful which works to its advantage. It tastes like diluted carbonated apple juice. Its not heavy like cider and it doesn't taste like a beer at all. But, it goes down easy and is very refreshing. This drink will fill a similar niche as Mike's Hard, but for people who prefer apple flavoring to lemon. I had mine out of an ice cold bottle. I enjoyed it. I won't be stocking my fridge with Redd's but who knows I might be ordering one at a bar next time I'm sick of light beer.

2.61/5  rDev -3%

Best served ice cold. Appearance isn't bad since it does have a nice golden color but smell is somewhat like baby wipes and apple juice. Reminds me of a day care. Taste is like a light lager beer flavor with a cider-apple taste mixed in and mouthfeel is like water. It is smooth and thin and goes down easy and best of all, no bad after taste. It's certainly not the craft style beer they try to make it out to be but on a hot summer day or after yard work, this might be a nice refreshing way to cool off. I most likely won't buy it again but at roughly $1 a bottle, it wasn't a total waste.

2.56/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Redd's Apple Ale

Consumed directly from the bottle... Why??? My best snifter was not available. This was ice cold out of the cooler.

A) A very light golden amber.... Looks okay, so I have rated accordingly.

S) The aroma took me back to a New Year's Eve long ago, when I was bonging Red Dog and Woodchuck Amber like crazy. The kitchen floor in the apartment smelled like this. The scent was not that pleasant, but I will thank Redd's for bringing back a hazy memory.

T) As mentioned above... It's kind of a macro-lager, hard cider combo. Sweet and tart apple flavor is light, and somewhat artificial.

M) Very light and highly carbonated. One could make the case, that it is crisp and refreshing in the heat of summer.

O) Not very good, and quite frankly I can think of no reason that I wouldn't plunk down a few extra bucks for a real fruit beer option from New Glarus Brewery.

4.24/5  rDev +57.6%

Pleasant after taste, tastes best really cold, relatively cheap and worth the price(WI).
Not an over powering apple taste, nothing like spiked apple juice/cider although I can admit that my experience with beer is rather lacking I can say compared to other main stream beer i.e. any Miller, Coors, Heineken, Pabst, Leinenkugels. Only beer I can actually sit back and kick the shit with, favorite over all.

From the looks of other reviews, must be a Wisconsin thing... :shrug:

2.55/5  rDev -5.2%

Redds Apple Ale is delicious, but I will never buy it again. I admit to feeling fooled by the "ale" label. Let's be honest- it is a cider. Another reviewer said it best- it is carbonated apple juice. I expected a mildly fruity apple BEER, which is not what I got. This is the same reason I hate Nutella- I really hate being lied to (Nutella because it claims to be "healthy" but I digress). If I want to enjoy a refreshing bubbly cider, I will pick up some Angry Orchard which at least has the decency to mix it up with interesting flavors. I wanted beer, not the equivalent of Mike's Hard or Smirnoff Ice. I did give it a high score for mouthfeel because I loved the bubbles on my tongue. It was delightfully carbonated.

2.85/5  rDev +5.9%

saw a special for 2 pint cans for like $3, so i figured i'd give it a go. i'll say this: redd's is not a fruit beer...or if it is, there were some serious missteps made to ultimately put this in the same league as mike's hard beverages, smirnoff ice, and so on: "malt beverage". it tastes like carbonated apple juice, which isn't a bad thing if you just got done doing yard work or any time you're trying to cool off. not a beer, but not wretch-worthy like some folks are saying. it tastes like juice...last time i checked, a cup of juice never made anyone go on a rant.

4.41/5  rDev +63.9%

Taste: A good Miller Light with Apple flavor. Bottle states that real apples are used, I can taste it.

Isn't foamy at all. A good smooth drink from the time you open it to when its alittle warm and down to the bottom.

One of my favorite Beers from Miller Co. Even that I'm a huge Coors fan!

1.38/5  rDev -48.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours light gold with no head and no lacing. Smells like artificial apple juice, not a very strong aroma.

tastes like watered down artificial apple juice with some grains. Doesn't taste like beer or cider at all. I would not believe this is beer, or was supposed to be, if it wasn't for the label calling this an Ale.

Thin and watery with too much carbonation. This is terrible. I'm sure it would seem even worse if I drank it side by side with New Glarus Apple Ale, which I like very much. This beer isn't even close to being as good as the New Glarus offering.

2.57/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear light gold colored beer with no head whatsoever looks like an apple cider.

Smells like apple cider. strong apple with a little corn, very much more like cider than beer in scent.

Starts out tasting like watered down apple cider with a little sweet and sour apple flavor going on. What this tastes like and probably is Apple Cider mixed with miller lite. Not sure who this is for beer drinkers ashamed to drink cider or cider drinkers who want to drink beer? Tastes OK, but seriously pick one don't mix them in to what amounts to watered down cider or sweetened lite beer?

Mouthfeel is light and bubbly again sort of like cider.

Overall it is Miller Lite and Apple Cider, I fail to see the point.

2.54/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Clear golden color that resembles apple juice. No head and no lacing.

Smell- Faint aroma of apples.

Taste- Tastes like a cider. There nothing about it's flavor that suggests beer in any way.

Mouthfeel- Thin bodied with a below average amount of carbonation. Sticky feeling left in the mouth after the swallow.

Overall- This is not beer and should be marketed as a cider. That being said the flavor wasn't bad.

2.63/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Clear bottle. Looks like apple juice... not like a beer at all. Appears heavily carbonated.

Smell: Not bad... just smells like, again, apple juice.

Taste: Apple juice. Or cider. It tastes apple-like on the front and is sweet and maybe somewhat sour for a split second, and then it's just gone. Not like a beer at all, in my opinion. The feel is pretty highly carbonated.

Redd's is HIGHLY drinkable, but nothing about this reminds me of beer. It drinks like hard apple juice, which isn't a bad thing, but as a beer, it's awful. I prefer this to something like a Mike's (I find that to be way too sweet), so that's saying something.

2.81/5  rDev +4.5%

Redd's Apple Ale is by no means a "craft beer". It's marketed to mainstream beer drinkers (and those who find the taste of beer offensive) and is owned by the world-renowned Miller Corporation (sarcasm). Anyway, I hate to say it, but I like this one. It starts sweet, finishes tart, and goes down really, really easy. You'll have three, four, five, six of them before you even realize it. I can't help but enjoy this even though I know that, based on everything I know about ale, this really shouldn't be so enjoyable. Now, there's no denying that Redd's uses artificial flavoring including caramel color, which gives it that irresistible (albeit fake) beautiful color. It's not going to pour a large head, nor is it going to have any complicated hop/malt flavors. But, for a mid-summer beer aiming to quench thirst, it manages to get the job done. Am I embarrassed that I drink it? Yes. But does it accomplish what it sets out to do? Yes. Snub your nose at it if you wish, but have a couple and you'll want a couple more.

Bottom line: I know this isn't supposed to be "good", but I'm not going to apologize for drinking it once in a while.

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.