Redd's Apple Ale | Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Apple AleRedd's Apple Ale

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Pegasus on 11-18-2012

Reviews: 170 | Ratings: 1,019
2.67/5  rDev -0.7%

Its Apple alright.. LoL I wouldn't consider this a beer more like hard cider like many others have commented about this beer. I got a six pack for free from a friend and wanted to see what the hype was about. This beer is for the folks who want to drink a beer that doesn't taste like a beer. Not a fan of this one. I hate to give this beer a bad rating but I just don't like this type of beer. Think of it as apple juice mix with a little sour sour apple and carbonation that's what this beer taste like.

I can't see why anyone would want a apple flavored beer ever! but this beer has just a hint of apple flavor, all the flavors are good the apple, strawberry, tea, all of them good the only thing bad I would say is that you can only buy the specialty flavors in a variety pack and if you want to get drunk you would need more then the 12 pack to get there

2.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Strange taht I kept going back for more trying to taste the alcohol. Could not find it. Very good apple drink. The hidden alcohol is cleverly hidden by sweetness and apples. I better stop now. That swishy way is goes down to easy is bad. I could drink these fast if I didn't know better. Too easy to drink fast.

4.55/5  rDev +69.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

very nice, very refreshing, clean crisp apple flavors come across simple non complex in flavor, enjoyed several of them and would buy again, not a typical beer, more like a hard cider

3.58/5  rDev +33.1%

It's not the best beer, okay? It doesn't quite taste like a beer, it doesn't quite taste like a hard cider. But y'know what? It's pretty good, for what it's trying to be: a sweet alcoholic beverage that tastes like apple, but isn't just another cider. It does that pretty well.

2.02/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has an overwhelming smell of artificial apple sweetener
Appearance- A very light yellow color no head at all.
Taste- Tastes like modified apple juice, not good.
Palate- A light bodied brew with a ton of carbonation.
Overall- I did not enjoy this at all. But I haven't had a good apple beer out of the three or four that I have tried.

2.77/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I got this on a lark, just because I wanted something a little fruity, and as I was at a diner that serves beer, and everything else was your typical light beer fare, I thought I'd give this weak Miller product a try. The color is a light golden, very fizzy, with no head or lacing. The smell is of tinny apple, and the taste is similar, very light and carbonated, with a watery mix of water and... beer... maybe? Actually it tasted all right for what it is, not awful, not good either.

3.39/5  rDev +26%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I would have a hard time calling this a vegetable ale, or even a beer at all. However, as a Swede living in America, I've been looking for something that tastes like a Scandinavian-styled cider for quite some time. This might be it. Very sweet. Sufficiently tasty. Incredibly carbonated. Awful beer. Good for what it is.

2.84/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is a glorified fruit/vegetable beer at best, reminds me more of a Seagrams more than anything else. It's certainly better than it's strawberry ale counterpart, but not by much. Overall, it's tasty, not much of a beer really, but it does go good with some Fire-bally.

2.58/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Super clear light gold. Zero head or retention.

Smell: It does not smell like a beer, I do not pick up any hints of yeast. Smells like apples and sugar.

Taste: It tastes like carbonated apple juice, no hints of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Way too carbonated, it almost hurts.

Overall: While it is not a very good "beer", it does taste good enough to drink if you are looking for a cider or something similar. Probably better than the other options.

1.71/5  rDev -36.4%

Smells just awful, to quote another reviewer, " like a bad yeast starter" I am reviewing a pint can and it is super carbonated and just too sicky sweet for me. I recall having a sip of this on tap a few moons ago, but either I was drunk or it is just waaay worse in a can. Like Apple juice malt liquor.

2.18/5  rDev -19%

First off--this is not a hard cider, you simpletons.

I'll drink ciders. There are some excellent craft ciders out there, and even the easy to find macro stuff is still plenty quaffable. Heck, I'll even drink an alcopop here and there. And fruit beers? Fruit beers are awesome! Not just the New Glarus stuff, either. I'm fond of trashy, accessible stuff, like Magic Hat's #9, and Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

What I'm getting at is that I'm not so much of a snob to refuse to drink fruity booze. I am, however, quite leery of macro fruit beers, as they tend to, well, they tend to suck.

Redd's was the best thing at a recent party. It smelled horrendous, like a bad yeast starter, but tasted like a low-hopped, very light adjunct ale mixed with actual apple juice. Like something high school kids would mix together to make Natty Ice more palatable, basically.

Not the worst thing I've ever had, and not even particularly bad aside from the aroma. But I'm a fan of the style, and more open-minded than most, and this is just not a very good fruit beer.

3.19/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a light golden color with no head and lots of carbonation. Smell is like apple juice. Taste has some tartness up front, sweetness at the finish, lots of apples in between. Feels light in the mouth and overall is more like an apple soda than a beer, but is highly drinkable.

3.26/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I personally like this beer out of its general light flavor and my accustomed taste to its sort of sweetness, although I'm well aware of the fact that this is not a high-class brew

4.5/5  rDev +67.3%

This is beer? This has alcohol in it? I thought I was drinking soda?!

I think it's a great beer for what it is; a fruit beer. Or as I think of it, a fruit "beer soda". It honestly tastes like a beer you'd give a child if that was a legal thing to do. I think it's a perfect beer for someone who doesn't like beer. It's a beer that should be enjoyed under a 90 degree summer day at noon when it's really bright.

2.5/5  rDev -7.1%

Ain't bad for what it is.

High carbonation.

Tastes like apple soda with a faint(!) boozy nose.

Where's the alcohol? Not noticeable, unless you hammer it, I guess.

2.58/5  rDev -4.1%

You know, this isn't really all that bad. Better than a wine cooler in my opinion. Sort of like drinking apple juice with a faint hint of beer. I have friends who don’t care for beer, but drink a ton of this. They plan on having some at there wedding, and I’ll have no problem drinking it.

1.5/5  rDev -44.2%

I'm going to make this my first review here, and I hate starting off on a negative note. Off of the top of my head, I cant remember why my decision to try this was so spontaneous, but I wish I would have thought longer about what I was about to purchase. I have been seeing it on shelves for a while now, and that is what pushed me towards wasting my money on what I thought was going to be a good time. The taste was alright. It was lacking all of the features that one would be looking for in an ale. The apple idea was cool, but the fact that it was labeled ALE left me feeling betrayed.

With all due respect. This isn't a beer. This is an apple flavored wine cooler disguised as an ale to trick grown men.

The beer flavor is upfront with some cider taste as well. I like this as its got some flavor to it. Really good tasting and was refreshing in todays heat. I have never bought this but now i would.

4.5/5  rDev +67.3%

A-Looks like a typlical lager

S-Strong smell of apples

T-Strong apple taste. Little bit of a beer taste.

M-Medium crabonation.

O-Really good apple ale/cider. I could easily polish off a case. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but for me this is great by my book.

3.93/5  rDev +46.1%

Redd's Apple Ale. Not everyone's cup of tea but I sure like it.

Serving Type : Bottle

Smell (2.5) - Sour and rotten apples, hint of jolly rancher with a bit of sour skunk.

Taste (4) - Refreshing and poppy like a soda. Tastes like an apple jolly rancher. It's got mostly apple flavoring but still retains a little beer flavor in there. A hint cloying but not offensive. It is incredibly refreshing and even tastes good a day or two later if you forgot you had one laying around. I like it.

Mouthfeel (3.5) - Fizzy and poppy. As far as mouthfeel goes, as far as beer is concerned, this one is totally poor. But I don't care. It fits the flavor and that's all I need. Drinkability is an A+.

Overall (3.93) - This is my first review on the new rating system which I am not really a fan of. That being said, even though I'm caught off-guard with what I usually rate with, I'll have to give Redd's a good score. It is a refreshing and fantastic beer for those days you're not feeling like craft but you don't want a macro corn-fest. This beer goes great with anything.

It’s ok, aroma is like apples but it reminded me of church wine. It tasted like apple juice. I had no idea I was drinking a beer when I had this. A terrible beer all around, skip this if you can. Sam Adams Angry Orchard is much better style and I recommend that highly

If apple flavor is what you're after, find a good hard cider. This tastes like apple flavored Miller Lite, and it lacks the complex apple flavor of a respectable cider. Hell, you'd do better throwing some yeast in a few gallons of store bought apple juice and leaving it in your garage for a few months.

i really like fruity drinks and tea and stuff like that anyway. I was always partial to smirnoff ice as a drink anyway. But this is like apple cider. and it is absolutely delicious. I was surprised to see it was made by miller. It has a strong apple cider taste and is quite possibly the best vegetable/fruit beer i've had. havent had many though. i drink stuff like 4 loko and wine too, so this was really easy to drink. would drink this again.

2.83/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Tried a bottle while over at a barbecue at a friends house this weekend.drank it straight from the bottle instead of my usual pour into a glass.

Appearance - weak pale golden color, crystal clear and a few bubbles make their rise to the top. Can't comment on the head since this wasn't poured, but beers similar to this don't usually have impressive head or leave substantial lacing.

Smell - nothing strange just a very sweet apple aroma and nothing else.

Taste - the apple shines through again and there's not much else other than some cooked near Apple fruit. The big negative is that the apple tastes pretty artificial.

Mouthfeel - slightly limp carbonation and while I would assume than an apple beer would have a fairly dry finish, the sugary nature of this doesn't make this so.

Overall - it's drinkable and worth a try, but the apple is artificial feeling and smelling and more so than other apple beers I've sampled. Maybe worth a try. Ut you can probably pass on this.

Redd's Apple Ale from Miller Brewing Co.