Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Redd's Strawberry Ale | Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Strawberry AleRedd's Strawberry Ale

Added by Darkmagus82 on 08-21-2013

3.34/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.58/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Incredible! I have been working diligently to eradicate The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody as well as getting The CANQuest (tm) back on track. This has enabled me to CANduct a number of brewery horizontals, but even I was incredulous when I realized that I have a slew of Redd's Ales of various stripes with which to not only perform a horizontal, but also a number of bottle/CAN side-by-sides.

The CAN may be seCANd, but The CANQuest always comes first!

From the CAN: "An Exceptionally Crisp Strawberry Ale".

Having Crack!ed open the pounder CAN, I pondered for about a milliseCANd before beginning an inverted Glug. I CAN't say that I have been very impressed by the head creation/retention in this series. It fizzed and foamed into a brief finger of bone-white head that acted like pop & disappeared. Boo hoo. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled very sweet, very evocative of strawberries. Mmm. Mouthfeel was thin, kind of watery. The taste was definitely strawberry, but it seemed watered-down, possibly as a result of the mouthfeel. Finish was sweet, very much of strawberry, but too sweet to be sustainable for me. I would have my fill of it pretty quickly & I certainly would not want to fill my beach-bound cooler with it.

From the Bottle (first): "An Exceptionally Crisp Strawberry Ale".

I hate these screwed-up screw-top bottles! They deprive me of a Pop! & send me spinning into outer space. I do not own a spinner, so my pent-up aggression is manifested in the form of an aggro pour. I watched, in all earnestness, as it fizzed & foamed with a finger of bone-white head with minimal retention. Bye! Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a faint, perfume-y strawberry-like presence. I felt like this lacked the Ooomph! that it deserved since strawberry can be such a pleasant smell & taste, especially in the summer. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, just a step above watery. The taste was lightly strawberry, but I just found myself wishing for more. I love the taste of strawberry, especially with a crackery malt base. This lacked all of that, having just a simple strawberry semi-sweetness with no discernible malt. Taste was semi-sweet, certainly strawberry, but less than desired. YMMV.

2.24/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.7/5  rDev -0.4%

Great product poor availability.Could be a vendor problem. Can you just send it to the house.

2.5/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.19/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +29.2%

3.31/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Clear deep gold with no head or lacing.
Smells like strawberries and sugar.
Tastes like strawberries apple and sugar.
Mouthfeel is light to medium and carbonation is full. Finish is medium sweet.
Overall a tasty beverage just not sure it qualifies as beer. I would think lots of people who don't care for the taste of beer would enjoy this.

3.25/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.13/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

1.5/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Just plain nasty, this isn't beer more like a bad wine cooler. not sure how these companies get this stuff listed as beer.
color, smell, taste, and feel not like beer.

3.5/5  rDev +29.2%

2.99/5  rDev +10.3%

1.25/5  rDev -53.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

3.8/5  rDev +40.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.34/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

2.71/5  rDev 0%

Bright candy pink. Pinkish head.
Smell of strawberry candy and sour grain. Taste is the same as the smell. Sickly sweet. High carbonation. Did not like.

2.14/5  rDev -21%

2.87/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.51/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Being more a fan of classic lager beers, this was interesting. Nothing to talk about in terms of its looks, very light and slightly red. Smells strongly of strawberry and, as one would imagine, alcohol. Very sweet strawberry taste with a small jab of bitter at the end. Alright for some kind of change up but not something I would buy if I wanted to drink a beer.

3.09/5  rDev +14%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.23/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Redd's Strawberry Ale from Miller Brewing Co.