Redd's Strawberry Ale | Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Strawberry AleRedd's Strawberry Ale

millercoors.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Darkmagus82 on 08-21-2013

2.64/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with light to moderate amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and hints of golden yellow highlights. The beer has an eighth of a finger tall fizzy white head that almost immediately fades to just a couple of extremely small patches of extremely thin film and no ring at the edges of the glass. No lacing is observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of super sweet artificial strawberry with some lighter hints of sweet apple juice and just a hint of something medicinal in nature.

T: This is a very sweet beverage with moderate to strong flavors of very sweet artificial strawberry with some light hints of slightly sour artificial strawberry. There are light to moderate flavors of apple juice but there is nothing remaining that makes me think of this as a beer.

M: Light to medium bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation.

O: This reminds me more of a strawberry soda than a beer - not horrible if this fruit flavored thing is what you are looking for but it's not my favorite thing (it was a freebie from a family friend so I am reviewing it). Alcohol is very well hidden but it is too sweet.

1.75/5  rDev -35.4%

2.97/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A - Looks a lot like champagne, very bubbly. Zero head and lace.

S - Artificial strawberry, and light apple. Incredibly sweet.

T - Fruity, a lot like hawaiian punch.

M - Light and bubbly.

O - Surprisingly not awful, but obviously nothing special.

1.5/5  rDev -44.6%

3.58/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Incredible! I have been working diligently to eradicate The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody as well as getting The CANQuest (tm) back on track. This has enabled me to CANduct a number of brewery horizontals, but even I was incredulous when I realized that I have a slew of Redd's Ales of various stripes with which to not only perform a horizontal, but also a number of bottle/CAN side-by-sides.

The CAN may be seCANd, but The CANQuest always comes first!

From the CAN: "An Exceptionally Crisp Strawberry Ale".

Having Crack!ed open the pounder CAN, I pondered for about a milliseCANd before beginning an inverted Glug. I CAN't say that I have been very impressed by the head creation/retention in this series. It fizzed and foamed into a brief finger of bone-white head that acted like pop & disappeared. Boo hoo. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled very sweet, very evocative of strawberries. Mmm. Mouthfeel was thin, kind of watery. The taste was definitely strawberry, but it seemed watered-down, possibly as a result of the mouthfeel. Finish was sweet, very much of strawberry, but too sweet to be sustainable for me. I would have my fill of it pretty quickly & I certainly would not want to fill my beach-bound cooler with it.

From the Bottle (first): "An Exceptionally Crisp Strawberry Ale".

I hate these screwed-up screw-top bottles! They deprive me of a Pop! & send me spinning into outer space. I do not own a spinner, so my pent-up aggression is manifested in the form of an aggro pour. I watched, in all earnestness, as it fizzed & foamed with a finger of bone-white head with minimal retention. Bye! Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a faint, perfume-y strawberry-like presence. I felt like this lacked the Ooomph! that it deserved since strawberry can be such a pleasant smell & taste, especially in the summer. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, just a step above watery. The taste was lightly strawberry, but I just found myself wishing for more. I love the taste of strawberry, especially with a crackery malt base. This lacked all of that, having just a simple strawberry semi-sweetness with no discernible malt. Taste was semi-sweet, certainly strawberry, but less than desired. YMMV.

3.25/5  rDev +19.9%

3.17/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served from the bottle in a shaker pint glass at Chasers - Lake Zurich.

So I eyed this bottle in the cooler the first (and former) time I was at Chasers, knowing that I haven't found an individual bottle anywhere else for some reason. This time, with some time to kill, let's grab it, eh? This stuff pours a clear brass-amber topped by a half-finger of short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises artificial strawberry, an undercurrent of artificial sweet apple, and a hint of corn syrup. The taste brings in more of the same, the inherent sweetness really doing the strawberry flavor a hefty favor. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a slick-ish, almost soda-like feel. Overall, not a bad fruity thing, though it's soda-reminiscent characteristics make it unlikely that I'll have many more in the future.

2.56/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

2.13/5  rDev -21.4%

From a can.

Perfume and sweet apples on the nose

No head, no film, no collar, no lace

Tastes like apple juice with some strawberries mixed in. Barely beer, waste of good water. Pass it by. I snared a can at a party to bring home, glad I did not pay any $ for this.

2.35/5  rDev -13.3%

Freshness date of February 17, 14.

Pours clear golden with no head despite fizzy sound. Looks like apple juice. No lacing sticks.

The smell is of sour/rotten apples with strawberry and something chemical-ish. The strawberry part itself is not terrible.

The taste is of sweet, rotten apples. The strawberry part does taste like strawberry. A bland beer-ish taste backs it up. It finishes rather sweet.

It is fizzy, though pretty easy to drink despite its shortcomings.

It is closer to a sweet fruity malt beverage than an ale, though there is a beer-like backing to it. One was enough. I wouldn't recommend this to a true beer lover.

3.5/5  rDev +29.2%

3.11/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of sweet strawberries. Taste is like strawberry soda, only sweeter. Really doesn't have many characteristics of a beer. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer.

2.46/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

In respect to being a strawberry version of redds apple it 5/5.

2.14/5  rDev -21%

Redd's Strawberry Ale from Miller Brewing Co.