Chupacabras Pale Ale | Cucapá Brewing Company

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-24-2008

Reviews: 140 | Ratings: 209
4.3/5  rDev +23.6%

I really enjoyed this beer. Had it on tap at the Chef's Table in Rocklin, CA. Not really a typical pale ale as I felt it was a little hoppy for an English Pale Ale and too malty for an American Pale Ale. That aside, it had a very good balance between the malt and the hops. Noticeable citrusy hop aroma. Hops also noticed initially in taste followed for a caramel sweetness from the malt. Pretty full bodied. Neither hops or malt lingered creating a very drinkable beer.

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Picked up a bomber for under $5 at the Wine Emporium on Tremont to bring to a friend's home. We split the bottle, poured into stemless wine glasses, which were all he had. Wow, a surprisingly good looking beer from Mexico. Dark auburn color. Nice white head. Tons of lacing on the glass. Smelled very piney, like a nice IPA. Taste was much better than expected. There was a very prominent hop profile, but there was also a nice maltiness which gave a good backbone. Overall there was a nice balance to this brew. I could have easily had a few more of these. I can also see this beer as a big hit in Mexican cuisine restaurants as a great alternative to the usual suspects. I'd like to try more offerings from this brewery.

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

Cerveza Cucapa' Chupacabras

Clear and copper-colored, slimmish beige head.

Sweet, caramel-malty aromatics, with a slight hop appearance. Getting less slight more I smell it. Definitely has an English pale ale smell on it. Dry and herbal.

Taste: hoppy hit at first. Then comes the caramel malt flavor,both butting up against one another, bright, and warm, wet and zesty.

I like this. It would be hard not to like it. Just enough hops to my tongue happy, plenty of flavor, good drinking.Nothing to be afraid of, that's for sure.

I had out of a 12 ounce bottle. It was a reddish brown, clear with some bubbles. Good foamy head and lace with a caramel scent.

IT has a wicked vegetable bite to it. Has a slight sourness, but in a good way. Very flavorful...burnt a little bit. Lots of flavors going on...perhaps too much?

3.94/5  rDev +13.2%

A clear golden amber color body with a small soapy white heas , no lacing , light carbonation. Aroma of pale malts and cereal grain , floral and citrus hops with a hint of dark fruit . Flavor is lightly sweet up front with some piny and citrus hop flavors , medium bitterness, medium body with a crisp clean mouthfeel , hoppy finish , I would call this quite sessionable and not too bad , a nice try .

3.31/5  rDev -4.9%

A- A slightly hazy orange liquid with some brown highlights in there. The off-white head settles to a thin covering with some decent lacing. Looks fine.

S- Orange rind, apple juice, caramel, and stewed tomatoes. Pretty unique smelling... I am trying to figure out how much I dig it. the more I smell it, the more the tomato aspects comes forward and I just think Spaghettios.

T- Apple juice, oranges, caramel, and a touch of tomato. Not nearly as strange as the aroma, but unique for sure.

M- Dry with a bite. Smooth on the finish with some residual sweetness and bitterness.

D- As strange as the tomato aspect is to me, it is pretty nice and unique. It drinks fine, but I can't say I would ever get this again.

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: One finger of light tan head. Good head retention. Great lacing as well. Dark amber/red body. Does exactly have the color of a pale ale, but I wouldn't count that against it.

Smell: Big caramel malty aroma. Very sweet and malty.

Taste: Big sweet and malty. English hops and a good bitterness to round things out.

Mouthfeel: Thick and chewy. Real substantial stuff for a pale ale, though I think stylewise I would call this a red ale.

3.13/5  rDev -10.1%

This was a confounding beer that sharply divided the people I tasted it with.

It pours dark with a slight head - it looks more like a dark lager of some sort than a pale ale. It smells strongly of carmelly malt and the flavor follows along - it is just all toffee and caramel. The hops are hard to pick out. The mouthfeel is rather thick and syrupy.

I liked the beer reasonably well - it reminded me of a British pub beer. The others I was with, however, went from nonplused to turned off - one poured out her sample in favor of a traditional American Pale Ale.

Overall, I think this is worth a try - a worthy experiment from Mexico - but not one I will be spending a lot of time with.

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pale copper with good clarity and mild carbonation. A pillow like cream head starts out well and has very good retention. Leaves a smattering of lace.

S: Quite spicy, with a strong aroma of pepper, plus a bit of grapefruit and pine. Malt is there with a touch of toffee.

T: The pepper bitterness dominates. It's bolstered by a grapefruit citrus that feels a bit out of place in a EPA. A bittersweet toffee flavor adds an extra layer of flavor. Finishes with a lingering spiciness and a touch of metal.

M: The medium body is quite oily and has a bit too much fizz.

D: A nice beer overall. More bitter than I usually expect this style to be. But I still enjoyed it.

4.07/5  rDev +17%

A=pours a deep amber with a two finger slightly off white head

S=some coffee malts with a slight amount of hoppy bitterness.

T= good, light malt flavors of coffee, hint of bitterness following

M=nice crisp carbonation, no oiliness, with good aftertaste

D=enjoyable, not to stout, easily sessionable, my favorite Mexican brew.

4.42/5  rDev +27%

One of the best, if not the best mexican beer available. Deep red copper color. Very good head formation and very good lace retention. Aromas of roasted malts and heavy and intense citrus, limes, grapefruits. An aggresive explosion of flavors of well defined sweet malts, alcohol character and an intense and aggresive load of citrus hops that amaze the palate. Very good semi-robust body. Excelent on any ocassion. The Mexican Chupacabras resulted better than the San Diego Arrogance and that´s someting.

3.61/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a big 2 finger off white head. Body is copper/amber in color with tons of tiny bubbles rising to the top. Head retention and lacing are pretty good through out

Smells of earthy/floral hops with a touch of honey. Also slightly sweet copper malt.

Taste is of slightly bitter floral hops. Malt is there but I cant put my finger of the exact taste of it. Taste gets a bit bland after a while

Mouth feel is pretty good. Head is pretty creamy for a pale ale. There is a nice balance of carbonation and the body is medium for the style. After taste is of slight bitterness

Drink ability is slightly above average. Tastes a bit off and bland. It is session able but the flavors arent too great to make me want to drink many of these.

3.15/5  rDev -9.5%

a: clear amber color with minor carbonated streams along the sides, moderate foamy head settles to thin layer, little to no lacing
s: moderately sweet malt aromas with bits of spicy hops and citrus
t: sweet maltiness the 1st 2/3 of the drink, finishing with an ever-growing bitter hoppy finish that becomes too much by end of the bottle
m: medium body, low carbonation
d: early on this was actually a nice brew, but by the end the finish was too much for me

2.69/5  rDev -22.7%

First off, I'm new to this site and this is my first review. I'm also new to all the beer terminology. Here goes...

I picked up a 6-pack of this and also some Negra Modelo on the way to a Mexican-food-themed party. I can't comment on appearance because I drank it from the bottle (no cups at the time). The bottle itself was also dark, giving little hint of how the beer looked.

I actually liked the smell of it but was unpleasantly surprised by the taste. It was quite bitter and way too many herb/spice flavors. Overpowering for me. I didn't like the taste. I was drinking it to accompany soft tacos w/ varying meats (pollo, carne asada or carnitas).

Mouthfeel was great so I really wanted to keep drinking it, but the flavor kept turning me off. I took a few more sips to see if I could get used to the taste, but it was really a chore for me. Sorry, but this beer wasn't for me and I had to leave the bottle half-empty.

I was utterly shocked by this beer. I have been ignoring it at Whole Foods for months, but I was premature in my judgment.

Pours a tawny amber with a big off-white foam head. Smell is ... wow, nice aroma. Big butterscotch malt notes and some pine and grapefruit mixed in. Actually, this kind of smells like a barleywine pale ale hybrid.

Taste is quite rich. Pushes the pale ale definition. The sweet malt lingers, surprisingly thick chewy mouthfeel, and there's some balancing pine and bitter hop content. Maybe even a hint of leather in there.

Was very, very surprised.

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a clean, deep, auburn color typical of most American Pale Ales (think Sierra Nevada). Carbonation is just right. A white head forms but thins fairly quickly. Lacing isn't bad.

Beer is Fairly well hopped with bitter and some fruity citrus aromas. More sweet maltiness than anticipated for a low ABV beer.

While the smell and appearance brought to mind an APA the malt flavors have much more in common with the English Style Pale it's classified as. Although I will say it vaguely makes me think of early APA Liberty Ale but more bitter. I have to admit this is a much better tasting beer than expected. The previously mentioned low ABV keeps this very drinkable and refreshing.

Not sure if it's the low expectations, the fact I haven't had a beer in this style in awhile and enjoyed the change of pace, or that it paired so well with my salsa con queso but I found this one very enjoyable and may enjoy again at some point.

Happy Cinco de Mayo and cheers to not drinking a corona!

Pours into a pint glass a nice copper red color with good clarity and thin white head.

Aroma is hoppy like a good dry-hopped American pale ale. Citrusy goodness.

Flavor is impressively hoppy and still really well-balanced. There is a little bit of toasty malts but the hops are definately in the forefront.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and good carbonation. Drinkability is fine. I would happily have another!

The best Mexican beer I've ever had. This far exceeds expectations.

2.9/5  rDev -16.7%

A ruby/hazelnut beer with a one finger head at pour time. Simmered to a splotchy head, touch of lacing. I smell sweet malt characteristics and caramel. Some minimal esters and very light figs.
Medicinal taste is what I get at first. A good bitterness, confused it seems between pine and herbal. Some clove. Sweet, almost like a hopped up Scottish ale or something. Feels smooth witha bit that lasts a bit longer. Not very drinkable for me; too medicinal. I think that's what is bugging me.
Overall, one of the best Mexican beer I've had.

3.68/5  rDev +5.7%

Surprising enough a mexican beer that isn't the same old taste that is a typical mexican beer. The head that pours off this amberish colored beer is excellent. While the smell does have the tones of a mexican beer the taste doesn't fallow suit. The beer has hints of a typical pale but with some hops added in, while it doesn't overwelm the palate. Overall an excellent beer to try. And if you love a mexican beer then I would suggest this beer to try.

2.86/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

bottles purchased at Ramon Liquor in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.

A- a dark amber, fairly clear, off white head.

S- smells like old hops and burnt caramel malt.

T- Hoppy, in a syrupy way, moderate bitterness, burnt, astringent caramelized sugars.

M- Medium

D- Does not have a good flavor to me.

3.83/5  rDev +10.1%

English Pale Ale from Mexico? I guess I'm being unfair, but the words "Mexican beer" usually imply some weak, fizzy skunky beer with a lime in it just to give it flavor. So when I saw this in my local dive liquor store, I decided to pick one up. And there's a good reason why I check out my local dive liquor store from time to time.

Looked real good in my tulip glass, with a nice bronze color and a light tan and fluffy head. Lots of lacing sticking to the glass. A bit of a musty, malty aroma with a little bit of pine to it. Flavor is malty, with some sweetness with a good amount of grapefruity hops, with some piney notes thrown it. A little bit of a resiny aftertaste, but a good heft and slightly creamy mouthfeel. Let it warm up a little bit, and the malt and hops will come to balance and be quite drinkable. Another reason NAFTA wasn't such a bad idea.

Next thing you know, a bunch of Brits will be trying to push some sort of pale, fizzy stuff with a lime on me.

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

EnglishBeer in Mexico!!!

[Eyes] Amber color with a nice head and lacing.

[Nouse] Caramel malts and a spicy lightly earthy hop balance. from Mexico?! Amaziinggg!!! The aroma is great the hop is dominant,

[Mouth] In mouth the first touch is amazing, fresh but the afther taste is very bitter. and goood full body. Bravo Mario and team.

3.77/5  rDev +8.3%

Received this beer as an "extra" in a recent trade I had with mattolesh.

Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A- The complexion consisted of a rather clear, dark amber color. The little head that was there dissipated quickly.

S- Caramel with herbs and a hint of hops.

T- Initially I was worried. However, as the beer warmed up, the taste came out to a pleasant surprise. The caramel taste came to the forefront, but then it was followed by a nice hoppy finish....interesting.

M- medium bodied beer that had some carbonation to it.

D- This beer was pretty drinkable. I definitely recommend letting this beer warm up a tad bit before drinking!

Overall, I would have to describe this beer as a pleasant surprise. Who knew Mexico had more to offer than Corona. It's definitely worth a try.

3.73/5  rDev +7.2%

22 oz bomber received as an extra from seaoflament. Thanks man!

Appearance: Pours a dark but clear amber, the color of maple leaves, with a small eggshell white head that retains well and leaves a bit of lace behind.

Smell: Malt-forward, toasty and faintly smoky. Faint caramel sweetness along with a touch of biscuit.

Taste & mouthfeel: A caramelly malt profile opens this one up. Grapefruit follows, leading to a surprisingly punchy hop bitterness. This leans heavily toward the bittering hops, though there's a slight floral quality as well. Remarkably bitter for a pale ale, but enjoyably so. There's a hint of wet paper in the background, but it's otherwise fairly clean. The body is appropriately light, but the massively bitter finish would wreck the palate after a couple of pints. Enjoyable stuff all the same, and it's great to see Mexico producing something so against the grain.

2.53/5  rDev -27.3%

picked this little bitch up at a hole in the wall in anaheim. when I asked the guy at the counter how it was, he said great if you like pale ale. he lied. like many of its other mexican counterparts this beer falls short and leaves me disapointed. kinda like the night I lost my virginity...wah wah wah.

pours amber. strong white head. fades fast.

smells strongly of hops.

taste is unbalanced. strong bitterness. a lackluster bite up front that leaves you wanting more. and not in a good way. all in all a bland beer. if you have the chance to tr this...dont

Chupacabras Pale Ale from Cucapá Brewing Company