Chupacabras Pale Ale | Cucapá Brewing Company

cucapa.com

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-24-2008

Another uncommon Mexican beer found at Tom's Farm last week, on to the beer:

Brillinat amber red color with orange hues, the head on top has meat to it and retention is good. The aroma jumps out on me because I was expecting less of one. Malty and hoppy at the same time. Toasted and caramel malts blend with lemon meringue and lemon flavored Starbursts. The first drink reminds me of a well balanced pale ale brewed here in the states. Creamy and hoppy at first, it turns into grapefruit, then bready malts with dabs of honey hit the palate. Goes tropical for a moment before drying off with a mild bitterness.

It's tough to find Mexican beers that aren't from that nation's two brewing giants in the states, let alone ones as good as this. I'll have my eyes peeled for the rest of the Cucapá family.

I was utterly shocked by this beer. I have been ignoring it at Whole Foods for months, but I was premature in my judgment.

Pours a tawny amber with a big off-white foam head. Smell is ... wow, nice aroma. Big butterscotch malt notes and some pine and grapefruit mixed in. Actually, this kind of smells like a barleywine pale ale hybrid.

Taste is quite rich. Pushes the pale ale definition. The sweet malt lingers, surprisingly thick chewy mouthfeel, and there's some balancing pine and bitter hop content. Maybe even a hint of leather in there.

Was very, very surprised.

This is a very good beer with a definite mixed English-West-Coast- American character, interesting and slightly unique.

Faintly cloudy red-amber, it has a medium tan head steadily shrinking to thin top, then a foamy ring and leaving a little nice lace.

Aroma is baked apples and very toasted barley with some other elements hard to distinguish. Overall, it is quite good.

Taste is more compelx and strong, with a nice fruity-toasty malt sweetness balanced with peppery-citrusy-woody hop bitterness. It has baked apples with very toasty, yeasty barley. It starts off slightly on the sweeter side up front and is a touch on the bitter side at the finish. It has a yeasty-fruity-toasty-woody aftertaste, finally finishing dryer and more woody. Feel is pretty solid with a faint touch of oiliness. There is a hint of the west-coast "amber" ale style of Napa Smith and the like but this is only one element and not too strong. It is a little on the more assertive side for serious session drinking in my book and has only a little complexity. Overall, it's very good, characterful, somewhat unique, a very solid beer.

3.97/5  rDev +15.4%

Dark amber in color, off white head. Not very heady, even with a careless pour. Little dark, but still appetizing none the less.

Smells of malt sweetness, maybe a hint of butterscotch, with a fair amount of hops.

Taste is rich, malty with more subtle hints of pine and citrus. Very tasty and well balanced even though I prefer a hoppier pale, but it's fantastic to the style.

Medium bodied, doesn't fell too light or heavy. Nothing to complain about.

Super easy to put back, and if the ABV was a bit lower, I would likely make this my politically correct session brew as it is a very good value for the money.

3.97/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a 650ml bottle. Since this is a West Coast (Baja) Mexican beer, it's not surprising that it's actually a lot like a West Coast style pale ale. Pours a rich coppery colour, not unlike an amber. The nose is alive with bright hop aromas—pine, citrus, tropical fruits. For just a 5.8% ABV pale ale it has quite a lot of body. It has a nice creaminess to it as well, and the finish is bracingly bitter.

3.97/5  rDev +15.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Shaker pint glass. No date.

Appearance: Hazy translucent coppery-orange color. Off-white to tan head - very thin skin across top and a ring at the edge. Some tiny islands of lacing here and there but not a lot.

Smell: Orange citrus and some burnt sugar / roasted malt at the end.

Taste: Blended malt and orange citrus up front moving into a grapefruit-like bitterness at the end. Bitterness lingers at the end with a tea-like + honey flavor.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation, smooth and thick. The hop oils really stick to the teeth a bit here.

Overall / Drinkability: This is not an English Pale Ale - this is an American Pale Ale, and a very good one at that. Gets much better as it warms up and I could easily see myself having another. I had it with a bean and cheese burrito for dinner and it was nice with the meal and after as well. A very good APA and I will definitely pick it up again.

3.96/5  rDev +15.1%

A - Nice amber color with a decent amount of head. Cool demon creature on the label made me want to pick this up.
S - Pale malts and slight hops. I wish I could smell more from this.
T - Slight hop bite and grassy flavor. Wish it was more sugary than previous reviews described.
M - Sort of dry but hops represented well in this brew.
D - Meh I would rather have a Hopslam, but I guess I am a sucker for cool beer art. May not buy again

3.94/5  rDev +14.5%

A clear golden amber color body with a small soapy white heas , no lacing , light carbonation. Aroma of pale malts and cereal grain , floral and citrus hops with a hint of dark fruit . Flavor is lightly sweet up front with some piny and citrus hop flavors , medium bitterness, medium body with a crisp clean mouthfeel , hoppy finish , I would call this quite sessionable and not too bad , a nice try .

3.93/5  rDev +14.2%

The CANQuest is out of CANtrol! Now, we have CANverts joining the CAN cause and even I CANnot believe it!

My pour created easily two fingers' worth of thick, foamy medium-tan head with good retention. Color was a deep orangish/reddish amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was a slightly sweet biscuitiness with an underlying hint of hops. Mouthfeel was medium to full with more of a hops bite on the tongue than the nose had led me to expect. In total, the flavor was somewhat medicinal, sort of a molasses/anise combination, but not in a bad way. I rather liked it and felt that it was a pleasant surprise. Finish had a honey-like flavor that lingered. I would definitely put this in the cooler!

3.91/5  rDev +13.7%

Chupacabras

Pours a murky brownish color, big soapy off white head and a very nice display of sheet lacing down the whole side of the glass. Aroma is bready, with some cereal grains mixed in. In the taste, nutty maltyness, a glimpse of citrusy hops, and a toffee like flavor in the finish. Simple flavors that go together quite nicely. Nutty, sugary malts, small hop presence, even balance and a clean finish. Overall, this is the best beer of Mexican origin that I have had to date by a good margain.

3.9/5  rDev +13.4%

A Mexican made English pale ale, in a can, I have to try this.

Pours a nice rusty amber and copper color with a voluminous head of beige. The head fizzles to a thick foam, then a thick film, and finaly to nothing after drinking three quarters of the beer.

The aroma is a peppery, spicey hop balanced with a toasted bread crust. Very English smelling pale ale here.

Nice spicey black pepper mixed with toasted malts maintains throughout teh entire palate. Toasted bread crusts with a little caramel and just a splash of orange zest from the hops along with the pepper make for a nice EPA.

Although there really isn't any taste fluctuation from the front, middle, and back of the palate, its still a pretty good English pale ale.

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

22 ounce bottle purchased at Hi Time Wine in Costa Mesa, CA., May 2008; price not recorded.

Pours a clear dark reddish-copper with nice carbonation and a thin off-white head; almost reminds me of an English ESB rather than a pale ale.

Aroma is crisp grassy hops, clean English malts, light honey, I think pretty close to the style.

Flavor is a rich heavy malt profile accented by herbal grassy hops, light lemony notes, quite tasty. A light sweetness plays against the hop bitterness at the end of the swallow.

If compared to the style, I think this stacks up quite well, and is a very good example of how to do it right. Good stuff!

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

Picked up on a whim from Julio's. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear light brownish amber color wtih a creamy half a finger head that fades to leave average side lacing and a nice lumpy cloud.

S - Getting some light hops (grassy not really bitter) and some light sweet malts, slightly buttery. Quite pleasant.

T - Similar to the nose. Getting some slight fruity hop notes followed by sweet malts and almost some honey flavour. There is a nice slight bitter finish to the beer.

M - Very smooth, almost thick. Not watery at all. The hop oils help this one out and the ABV is not noticeable. Find myself wanting to raise the glass back to my lips each time I put it down.

O - I'm surprised at how much I liked this beer. This is my first non macro mexican based beer and I really enjoyed it. Would definately buy this beer again to show off what a country can offer.

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

My local Whole Foods had sixpacks of Cucapá Chupacabras Pale Ale on display for Cinco de Mayo. The combination of an unfamiliar brand, that brand being from Mexico, and it being hocked at Whole Foods, didn't inspire confidence, but I was curious, so I bought it anyway. Let's check it out.

Appearance: The pour is very dark for a pale ale. It's deep Chicago Bears burnt orange in color topped by a frothy cream colored head.

Smell: The nose has caramel malt, earthy and herbal hops, and a touch of fruit.

Taste: The flavor profile is really a step above the aroma. Caramel malts lead the way into a moderately bitter hoppy mid-palate. Hops are herbal, earthy, slightly spicy, and there's a hint of citrus. Along with hops, low levels of fruity esters enter the mix. Malts return to play a small supporting role in the bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: It's medium-bodied and both crisp and wet, but not watery, with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a wonderful everyday beer. Quaffable and delicious. I would like to try more from Cucapá. ¡Salud!

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

Picked up a bomber for under $5 at the Wine Emporium on Tremont to bring to a friend's home. We split the bottle, poured into stemless wine glasses, which were all he had. Wow, a surprisingly good looking beer from Mexico. Dark auburn color. Nice white head. Tons of lacing on the glass. Smelled very piney, like a nice IPA. Taste was much better than expected. There was a very prominent hop profile, but there was also a nice maltiness which gave a good backbone. Overall there was a nice balance to this brew. I could have easily had a few more of these. I can also see this beer as a big hit in Mexican cuisine restaurants as a great alternative to the usual suspects. I'd like to try more offerings from this brewery.

3.86/5  rDev +12.2%

Bottle tracked down at a wine market in Cabo San Lucas. Pours a cloudy reddish amber with three fingers of frothy resilient beige head. Aroma is full of dried fruit, spice, and nutty malt elements, with a tinge of leafy and citrus rind evoking hops. Classic English pale ale flavor: Grapefruit marmalade, apricot, and butterscotch with some interesting spice flavors, reminiscent of cinnamon and ginger. Subtle nuttiness in the background. Lemon and lime rinds blossom over the course of multiple sips and there's also a developing sour apple note. Big diacetyl flush that I view as a plus in this particular brew. Moderate to heavy bodied with fairly subtle carbonation. Malty sweet finish with some citrus hop character. Rife with classic English bitter flavors albeit a sweeter and heavier take on the style.

3.85/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Underrated little pale from baja, Cali. More malty than a West Coast style, but far more hoppy than your usual fare south of the border. I wouldn't have ever tried this but the Mexican restaurant I was at didn't have a lot of options. I was pleasantly surprised.

3.85/5  rDev +11.9%

A: poured a translucent amber brown. With orange highlights that had a bubbly head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: huge caramel aroma upfront with some malty nutty notes but also had slight citrus, and faint pear esters.

T: mild hops and sweet honey flavors showed up on the palate with caramel, nutty ,citrusy accents and lots of sweetness coming from the malts.

M: the brew was light to medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a sweet, nutty, mild hoppy, and sticky finish.

D: was just a decnt pale ale that had nice honey sweetness and was drinking real good.

3.85/5  rDev +11.9%

Dark amber color. Very malty aroma. Little head retention. Aroma slightly reminiscant of a typical barley wine. Heavy malt presence in flavor. Lots of carbonation. Little to no hop aroma or flavor but dryish hop style finish at end. As it warms more fruitish flavors come out. Very drinkable beer. More malty than I would expect for a pale ale, but aside from style point still a pretty decent beer.

Cerveza Cucapa' Chupacabras

Clear and copper-colored, slimmish beige head.

Sweet, caramel-malty aromatics, with a slight hop appearance. Getting less slight more I smell it. Definitely has an English pale ale smell on it. Dry and herbal.

Taste: hoppy hit at first. Then comes the caramel malt flavor,both butting up against one another, bright, and warm, wet and zesty.

I like this. It would be hard not to like it. Just enough hops to my tongue happy, plenty of flavor, good drinking.Nothing to be afraid of, that's for sure.

3.83/5  rDev +11.3%

English Pale Ale from Mexico? I guess I'm being unfair, but the words "Mexican beer" usually imply some weak, fizzy skunky beer with a lime in it just to give it flavor. So when I saw this in my local dive liquor store, I decided to pick one up. And there's a good reason why I check out my local dive liquor store from time to time.

Looked real good in my tulip glass, with a nice bronze color and a light tan and fluffy head. Lots of lacing sticking to the glass. A bit of a musty, malty aroma with a little bit of pine to it. Flavor is malty, with some sweetness with a good amount of grapefruity hops, with some piney notes thrown it. A little bit of a resiny aftertaste, but a good heft and slightly creamy mouthfeel. Let it warm up a little bit, and the malt and hops will come to balance and be quite drinkable. Another reason NAFTA wasn't such a bad idea.

Next thing you know, a bunch of Brits will be trying to push some sort of pale, fizzy stuff with a lime on me.

3.83/5  rDev +11.3%

A&S - Pours an hazy amber with two fingers worth of white fluffy head, decent amount of lacing, the haze looks as if theres an ingredient thats about to show a solid presence. Smells of sweet, light, refreshing malt and fruit with some hops but mostly a sweet fresh fruit aroma.

T&M - Sweet, crisp, and sticky with a slight hop bite right off the front, then a quick turn transitions to that Tamarind everyones buzzing about, maybe some Agave, then citrus hops. Awesome flavors thoughout make a wonderful flavor explosion however I feel the bittering hops in the end take away from the "Fresco" flavor.

O - An interesting find, i'll be sure to check out they're other stuff and pick this one up when found, but I really felt the hops were a little much and took away from the wow factor.

Picked up a Sixer of this at the local CostPlus without any knowledge or recommendation of the beer/brewery. Right off the bat props to Cucapa for being one of the very few Mexican breweries making an effort in the craft scene, it seems the new Victoria lager has way more malt then the other Mex lagers, and let me assure this was no mistake. Light is good, for a certain amount of time. Now about the beer, very, very, fresh. Thats its key characteristic, and by making it to hoppy, it wasn't as inviting as other maltier pale ales. I gotta say I can't really gather my thoughts on this one. Despite the hops turning me off, the Tamarind, which I have yet to see in a beer, keeps bringing me back for more. I think this is one of those brews that sits at the back of your mind. Its not something you think of when you try to list your favorites, but when you see it on the shelf, you'll buy it, just the reminisce on that out of the ordinary flavor. Stay thirsty my friends!

Chupacabras Pale Ale from Cucapá Brewing Company