Schlitz
JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
Style:
Lager - Adjunct
ABV:
Score:
2.94 | pDev: 26.19%
From:
JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Illinois, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Poor
SchlitzSchlitz
Notes: Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/106/44315
View: Beers
Reviews: 336 | Ratings: 779 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Beertsipper from New York

3.74/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Whenever I see a twelve pack of cans, I pick some up. The perfect adjunct lager. Clean, crisp, refreshing, with a bite going down your throat. I'll have another please.

Jun 29, 2019
FightingIrish from Wisconsin

4.56/5  rDev +55.1%

A good 'ol fashioned American brew. It will probably not satisfy the microbrew/import crowd, but it's a near- perfect mass-appeal beer, bringing back their old formula (before they cheapened out and went out of business). Light years beyond anything Miller, Budweiser or Coors currently puts out.

Nov 06, 2018
pat61 from Minnesota

L: brilliant yellow permeated by streams of rapidly rising bubbles under a 2" white cap with fair to poor retention

S: light corn sweetness and traces of DMS (canned corn)

T: The flavors are low with a light grainy corn sweetness dominating

F: mildly creamy with a light body and above average carbonation

O: sets the standard for fizzy yellow beer

Jul 29, 2018
Schitz from Minnesota

I tasted when it came back in 2008 and my memory lit up. It was Schlitz we snuck as kids. I want it now.
Finnegan's a beer that supports the homeless has taste similar to Schlitz.

Jul 16, 2018
Tantonys from Maine

4.11/5  rDev +39.8%

I used to "borrow" lots of these from my Dad in my teens, so I wanted to see if it tasted like it used to.
To be honest, I am a bit impressed.
Slightly grassy (which I like), full-bodied, excellent carbonation, malt may be slightly diluted with no overbearing adjuncts (I pray no GMOs)., Clean finish and just a kiss of the hops
(a little less floral than I remember)
All in all, a great trip down memory lane. I did enjoy the original recipe they released for a short time about a decade ago, this is close, so I hope Pabst keeps brewing this fantastic American beer!

Apr 13, 2018
OzmanBey from Massachusetts

This is just one of those classic adjunct beers, it has a nice malt feel that makes it less hoppy than many other adjunct beers, it's a great beer to sit back pop open and drink straight from the can and bottle.

Jan 03, 2018
pro45 from New York

3.71/5  rDev +26.2%

I guess this beer has more nostalgia and sentimental value for me than anything else. Hence, my avatar. Whenever I see this beer on display I gobble up a bunch. This was the beer I drank in tall boys when I was a street athlete way back when in NYC in my late teens and early twenties. Yellow color with a big foamy head. Smells of barley malt, grains, corn, rice, and hops. Taste follows the nose and you pick up that kiss of hops at the end along with a sweet finish. Very refreshing and goes down very easy. My favorite of this style. Don't know why BA has it as "retired". It's still around in upstate NY.

Oct 10, 2017
2ovrpar from New Jersey

3.93/5  rDev +33.7%

I just bought a case in bottles. I have not had this in about 15 years. Has a good mouth feel with "Just a kiss of the hops" Still a great inexpensive beer.

Dec 16, 2016
rodbeermunch from Nevada

2.79/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Dat AAL yellow color scheme with all its tap water helping out the clarity. Macro. Aroma was production line and corn sweetener.

Taste had a fruity yeast and corn edge. Lots of carbonation, malt watered down with corn. High alpha hop boil. No late stage hops 'wasted' here.

Every region has them. Hamms, Rainier, Weinhards, Old Style, Old Milwaukee, Busch, Natural, Red Dog, Blatz, whatever. . . this is one of those.

Good for dirt track racing, fishing, fires, anything where dirt is under your feet I guess. Keep the teku in the cupboard.

May 30, 2016
beertraveler08 from Louisiana

3.79/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Looks like a golden goddess,smells like yeast and mild hops.The taste is a perfect blend of hops and malt and taste as good as the old timers told me.I would drink this everyday if it was availible.

Apr 15, 2016
mmmbeer89 from New Mexico

3.86/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

l used to buy 12 packs (cans) of this stuff on a semi-regularly basis 7 or 8 years ago and i haven't had it since until i found a six pack of bottles and i decided to buy it for old times sake. I was surprised how much i liked it still, i always enjoyed it but that was before i ventured out more on beer but this one still holds up. it's also sill cheaply priced so you get a value as well as a good beer.

Dec 17, 2015
ArchimedesSox from Georgia

2.78/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Crystal clear, golden straw color, 1 inch white head, spotty lacing

S: Slight adjunct grain, yeast, a little hoppiness

T: Slight sweetness, corn, slight hop bitterness

M: Light, crisp, dry, lively carbonated

O: Decent beer. Pretty good for the style. Not gonna light you up with flavor but a good choice on hot summer day.

Jun 28, 2015
berkeleymaw from California

2.69/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

The first time I had a beer was when a friend stole two Schlitz from his parent's fridge when we were 14. I drank half a beer and it tasted so bad I never drank another until I was 24. I tried Schlitz again for nostalgia's sake a year ago (age 36) and...yeah, it wasn't as bad as I remember. Mostly just your typical American adjunct lager, though the look and mouth feel were a wee bit better than Bud, Coors, etc.

May 08, 2015
nicholas2121 from Ohio

Schlitz was great drinking brew. This brew had an ABV of 4.6% It pours out a nice amber color with a nice white head. The brew went down smooth. I really Like this brew when it was out on the market. It it a shame It is retired. Overall I giving this brew a 4 out 5

This is a Re review of This brew. got the last six pack. 10/23/14

Schlitz brewed JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) with an ABV of 4.6%. This brew pours out a nice amber color with a nice white head. The smell is rich with grains and malts. This brew has look and the smell of an American Lager. The taste is smooth but sweet. There is a lot of flavor in this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. There is nothing over powering in this brew. I really like this brew. it has a nice crisp taste to it. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5.

Sep 23, 2014
Metalbrew from Canada

Had this beer a while back, wow it was awful. I heard that the reason that this beer tasted so bad was that they changed the recipe, and that the original recipe was far better. It's a mystery that they did that, as this version of Schlitz was dreadful, hell I don't even want to try the original flavor, since the company brought it back. This one poured yellow with a lot of foam, far too much in my opinion, and tasted like sewage. Good thing that they discontinued this swill.

Sep 21, 2014
BeerWithMike from Nebraska

3.5/5  rDev +19%

Sampling right now on 6/9/14. Bought a 6-pack last week for $5.89 at the Hy-Vee in Council Bluffs, Iowa...right next door. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a vintage 'Schlitz' glass. BA says it is 'retired' but guess they started making it again as the label says" Jos. Schiltz Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wis."

Pours a golden yellow in color with just a thin white head. A decent amount of lacing is seen when sipped. Good carbonation. The aroma is mostly of grains and malt. The taste is about the same with some corn 'sweetness'. Actually goes down easy and isn't that bad. No bitter or harsh aftertaste for this old time brew. Lighter-bodied with good carbonation. Overall, it isn't that bad.

Jun 09, 2014
delcoots from Oklahoma

3.42/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

My dad use to drink Schlitz when I was a kid. So I thought I would give it a try. Well I liked it . Good beer nice taste not watery not to hoppy. Just a good easy drinking beer. Can't get it just anywhere. But will pick some more up when I get a chance.
Great for out at the lake. Or sitting in the back yard with a roaring fire shooting the bull with friends.

Mar 02, 2014
klimoja from Pennsylvania

3.91/5  rDev +33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ok What is it now that its not gusto but taste like gusto but not in a gusto can? anyway....Glad to see they are producing this a little more after its summer disappearance. Beer has a light look, feel, pours with a two finger head into a Schlitz goblet.The sip is clean, good balance like a Macanudo cigar. Nothing at all unpleasant and most certainly a go to beer for all occasions. This isn't a craft but its easily still one of the most balanced drinkable adjuncts I've ever had. Feel the nostalgia to back when the gods at Schlitz ruled the earth.

Nov 16, 2013
mitch3114 from New York

3.48/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from can into mouth

A- Sorry, but this was drank from a can as it was intended...

S- Smell is of a macro beer, but it seems like there is something else brewing in there under that metallic aroma of the dark aluminum interior.

T- WOW! This stuff is alright! It's refreshing, tasty and it's got hop presence! I had no idea what to expect. I was expecting Genny, or Miller High Life.

M- Mouthfeel is ok. It's definitely better than Coors Light. Slightly thicker, more substance than Labbatt Blue.

O- This beer really surprised me. I brought a 12 pack on a backpacking trip in the Adirondacks. I initially brought it as a novelty as my buddy's 60-year-old dad has been going on these trips with us and when I think about this beer, I think about 1970 and old dudes sweating and hunting and fishing and deer camp, etc. When I showed him the package he yelled: "SCHHHLLLLITTTZZZKIES!!!!" he said he probably hadn't drank that in forty years...since his last hiking adventures with the guys. So, overall, this was a great experience trying this beer. It brought back some memories for the old dog, and introduced a new taste to this young one. Try it if you haven't. It's actually pretty good!

Oct 25, 2013
jwc215 from Arizona

3.05/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours golden with a thin head that becomes wispy. Minimal trailing lace sticks.

The smell is of bland malt, no real hop presence. Something vegetable-like in it.

The taste is rather bland - hint of grainy sweetness - a mild non-descript hop touch is there in the crisp, brief finish.

It is smooth and easy drinking. It is fizzy, but not more than typical for what it is.

It's a typical, non-descript, bland adjunct lager. it's inoffensive. Average-ish for the style.

Sep 18, 2013
Suds from Missouri

2.11/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Typical macro lager. Pale gold in color, completely clear. It has a slightly sweetish smell, with a slight sweet vegetal smell. Mich more malty than i expected, although it is still clearly a macro lager. Light in body, and not very satisfying. This was one of my father's beers, and having it brings back some memories of him.

Sep 14, 2013
ERIK1069 from Pennsylvania

I was watching Pawn Stars on the history channel one day and I saw someone bring in a Schlitz lamp. I then researched the beer that was once known as the king of beers. I was from that point on very interested in learning about a beer that had so much history even having never tried it. Finally one day I did some more research online only to find out that a local beer store had Schlitz beer but ONLY in 12 pack cans. Having never tried this beer before I was hesitant to try it at first but from the first step I had found my new favorite beer. I was only sorry that I didn't get to try this beer sooner. Sure the recipe changed during the 1970's and that was their downfall, well at least until they brought back the original 1960's formula. I sure hope that people give this beer a chance because it's the best beer I ever had and it deserves a much, long awaited comeback.

Jul 24, 2013
mfnmbvp from Illinois

2.08/5  rDev -29.3%

12 oz. bottle, with best by date of August 26, 2013. My first encounter with a bottle of Schlitz, and judging by it's kinship beers, I am not expecting much. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours about two fingers of fizzy fluffy white head that we all recognize. Pale straw yellow colored body, with some carbonation visible. Your typical "fizzy yellow water" beer.

S - Smell is basically nonexistent beyond some dusty malt & faint cheap graininess.

T - Taste isn't any more offensive than your typical American adjunct lager like Miller High Life, or Coors. Some carbonation, medium-full bodied, with some simple grain flavor.

M - Feel is sticky, with some grain / barley lingering.

Overall, your typical American adjunct lager, or fizzy yellow water beer. A more full-bodied version of a Pabst Blue Ribbon perhaps, but there is really no distinction between this bottle of Schlitz and most other cheap American lagers. Still, it is inoffensive and drinkable with a sessionable 4.60% abv. Another average swiller, or palate cleanser.

Schlitz ---2/5

Jun 11, 2013
fx20736 from New York

3.55/5  rDev +20.7%

From a six pack of Tallboys a friend bought for me when he visited friends in Milwaukee.

Poured from a 16 oz can into a mug, served at fridge temp.

appearance: lemon yellow with a 1 finger white head that fades away to nothingness quickly.

aroma: subdued noble hoppiness

mouthfeel: soft and smooth, good for an adjunct lager.

taste: solid malt heft, balanced perfectly with hops. finishes clean. very tasty.

notes: The poor head retention and lack of lacing detract from an otherwise very nice beer. Taste-wise I think this beer edges out Pabst slightly but Pabst looks better. Of course adjunct lagers were meant to be drunk right from the can so this is not that big a deal. Overall a rewarding beer that I could drink all day long.

Apr 16, 2013
humuloner22 from North Carolina

2.84/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

This is a standard beer. It is what you think of when you drink an American beer. It is crisp and clean the color is a light golden color and it is smooth going down. This is your quintessential beer and a shot beer, I prefer a nice bourbon with it myself, but whatever floats your boat. I will admit I was not even alive in the 1960s so I have nothing to compare this to, but I did drink it occasionally in college and it was seen as being really low end, like PBR, which has had a resurgence for whatever reason. I would like to see this one become more readily available in my area but I did find this sixer in a small shop. It is much better than other beers in its category and I would rather have it for the price than the aforementioned brew. Overall impression, this is a beer you could sit and easily drink a six pack on a hot summer day and back it up with a few shots of bourbon. A truly American experience!

Feb 16, 2013
Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Beer rating: 68 out of 100 with 779 ratings