1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Schlitz | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

SchlitzSchlitz
2.91/5
Poor
SchlitzSchlitz

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States
schlitzgusto.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/106/44315

View: Beers
Reviews by NorthSideSean:
3.75/5  rDev +28.9%

3.79/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Looks like a golden goddess,smells like yeast and mild hops.The taste is a perfect blend of hops and malt and taste as good as the old timers told me.I would drink this everyday if it was availible.

4.11/5  rDev +41.2%

I used to "borrow" lots of these from my Dad in my teens, so I wanted to see if it tasted like it used to.
To be honest, I am a bit impressed.
Slightly grassy (which I like), full-bodied, excellent carbonation, malt may be slightly diluted with no overbearing adjuncts (I pray no GMOs)., Clean finish and just a kiss of the hops
(a little less floral than I remember)
All in all, a great trip down memory lane. I did enjoy the original recipe they released for a short time about a decade ago, this is close, so I hope Pabst keeps brewing this fantastic American beer!

3.93/5  rDev +35.1%

I just bought a case in bottles. I have not had this in about 15 years. Has a good mouth feel with "Just a kiss of the hops" Still a great inexpensive beer.

2.83/5  rDev -2.7%

12 oz can poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a light golden color that is a bit darker than the usual BMC beer. A very grainy and slightly sweet malty aroma. The taste is light and crisp with a strong corn flavor. A dry finish with a metallic aftertaste (but not too unpleasant).

Overall this is a surprisingly smooth beer. I would definitely drink this over a huge macro any day.

3.28/5  rDev +12.7%

What we have here is a beer that is about as good as Pabst blue ribbon.

A- Typical straw yellow fluid with a fluffy foam head that stays around for a minute. Very bubbly.

S- Light corn and yeast with a very small amount of hops are there...barely.

T- Is a smooth and decent flavor beer. I notice a corn taste in the begining on to a barley hop with mild betterness finish.

M-D- Very easy on the mouth with little offensive flavor makes this beer worth trying... more than one!

This is just one of those classic adjunct beers, it has a nice malt feel that makes it less hoppy than many other adjunct beers, it's a great beer to sit back pop open and drink straight from the can and bottle.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 5

The beer is a definite lawnmower special!I wouldn't think twice to pick up a sixer of cans on a hot day around the house or before heading to the lake.

The color is light golden. very little head present. Taste was light and refreshing. I could drink this one for days.

1.75/5  rDev -39.9%

3.45/5  rDev +18.6%

3.47/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

40 some years ago this was my Dad's choice of beer. He would buy it in quart bottles, and he might go through 2-3 of those a week. Often an open bottle would be in the frige and @15-16 years old, I took to regularly helping myself to a 4 oz. juice glass, so it was probably my first beer. My mom figured out my scheme which limited me to only a swig!

Back then this was a popular American Lager but somewhere around 1971 they changed the formula and ruined the beer (why would they do that).

Anyway, a generation later the original formula was alledgedly brought back.

This beer poured a pale straw yellow with a fine head with decent lacing but with little head retention.
It smell was of corn, grain with some hops coming through.
Tate was crisp and light with just a slight hop bitterness, all of wich exceeded my expectations.
The price of this beer (in Pa.) was $9.99 for a case of 24 -12 oz. cans makes it IMO a true value.
Wish I could find that value here in Georgia.

3.48/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from can into mouth

A- Sorry, but this was drank from a can as it was intended...

S- Smell is of a macro beer, but it seems like there is something else brewing in there under that metallic aroma of the dark aluminum interior.

T- WOW! This stuff is alright! It's refreshing, tasty and it's got hop presence! I had no idea what to expect. I was expecting Genny, or Miller High Life.

M- Mouthfeel is ok. It's definitely better than Coors Light. Slightly thicker, more substance than Labbatt Blue.

O- This beer really surprised me. I brought a 12 pack on a backpacking trip in the Adirondacks. I initially brought it as a novelty as my buddy's 60-year-old dad has been going on these trips with us and when I think about this beer, I think about 1970 and old dudes sweating and hunting and fishing and deer camp, etc. When I showed him the package he yelled: "SCHHHLLLLITTTZZZKIES!!!!" he said he probably hadn't drank that in forty years...since his last hiking adventures with the guys. So, overall, this was a great experience trying this beer. It brought back some memories for the old dog, and introduced a new taste to this young one. Try it if you haven't. It's actually pretty good!

1.3/5  rDev -55.3%

3.85/5  rDev +32.3%

A: Pours a pale, clear golden-yellow color. The head is tall, foamy, and frothy. Retention is pretty good for a macro lager, and some intermittent lacing is left along the glass.

S: A firm, dry graininess in the nose. Sweetness is low. A considerable herbal hop aroma for the style. Also a faint lemony whiff. There are very mild corn notes, but nothing unexpected or unpleasant.

T: A nice malt profile for a canned American lager. Grainy and quite clean. A kiss of sweetness lurks in the background. Rather hoppy for the style, with a pleasant nip of herbal bitterness. A modest and unimposing corn flavor pops up now and again without making too much noise.

M: Standard medium body. Fairly dry. Carbonation is soft and supple, which is both pleasant and unexpected.

D: As an American macro, this is pretty impressive. Very drinkable. Clean and inoffensive. Certainly one of the best macros I've ever tasted. A dubious honor? Perhaps, but don't knock it till you've tried it.

3.75/5  rDev +28.9%

2.81/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.5/5  rDev -14.1%

2.79/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Dat AAL yellow color scheme with all its tap water helping out the clarity. Macro. Aroma was production line and corn sweetener.

Taste had a fruity yeast and corn edge. Lots of carbonation, malt watered down with corn. High alpha hop boil. No late stage hops 'wasted' here.

Every region has them. Hamms, Rainier, Weinhards, Old Style, Old Milwaukee, Busch, Natural, Red Dog, Blatz, whatever. . . this is one of those.

Good for dirt track racing, fishing, fires, anything where dirt is under your feet I guess. Keep the teku in the cupboard.

2.33/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a medium golden color with no lacing and little to no head.

Smells like an adjunct corn lager.

Tastes similar to watered down malt liquor. A very small amount of bittering hops with a lasting unpleasant graininess.

The high carbonation with the graininess makes this beer not very drinkable.

I was expecting more from this beer, with it's new/old formula change and price hike. I'll just reach for a blatz if I want a cheaper adjunct lager.

2.81/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.8/5  rDev +30.6%

This is hardly great, but it's a decent cheap US lager and a lot better than many. At the price, few beers I have had can beat it except Pabst and Miller High Life.

It's light gold with a medium,, rather thin head that steadily diminishes to leave a foamy top and a little weak lace.

It has a version of what is to me the paradigmatic, basic, pleasant US "beer" aroma of light grain, hints of apple peel, and light grassy hops.

The taste is light grain and green apple peel with a light, grassy, biting hop bitterness. It is light and a little watery, but has solid flavour and is highly drinkable. It has less perfumy grain flavour than those mentioned above, but is a little more grassy, hoppy and with more bitterness than others.

4.5/5  rDev +54.6%

1.89/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)