Schlitz | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

good
Read the review
SchlitzSchlitz

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States
schlitzgusto.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/106/44315

Added by BeerAngel on 05-29-2000

2.58/5  rDev -14.9%

Surprise, surprise... Schlitz isn't God awful. It poured a very pale gold (yellow) with a 1/2-inch head, it hung around for a second. If the smell of yuckie, sweet corn weren’t present, it would have been much more inviting. But as is, I could tolerate it. The "kiss of the hops" was enough to give the palate some worthwhile flavors but a grainy-corn taste was detectable as well. It was nicely carbonated and easy to drink. As it warmed it did get sweet and grainy -- in other words drink it cold!

2.58/5  rDev -14.9%

I would give this beer at least a 4 if it didnt have so many inconsistencies. A good can tastes great and is slightly sweet. One of the better tasting macros I have tried. HOWEVER! Several of the cans in the first case I purchased smelled like bologna. No joke! The next 12 pack I bought like 3 of the cans smelled like burnt rubber! I poored the last two out in the sink! I never waste beer either. But when its a "good" can it smells slightly sweet and good. So I am going to give this a 2.5 rating. Hopefully they can iron out the bad batches.

2.58/5  rDev -14.9%

Ah, the old school. I picked up a 40oz. of "The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous" for $1.69 that came complete with its own, perfect-sized paper bag. Pours out to a typical, yellow lager, but maybe slightly darker than the norm. Bright yellow head that settled quickly. Taste is that of a very light caramel. It reminded me of my favorite cheapie, Stroh's. This was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The slogan on the bottle said, "Just the kiss of the hops". Its more like a kiss from your Aunt Betty rather than a from a hot piece of life, but hey, it was drinkable.

2.57/5  rDev -15.2%

Light straw color. I think it's just a little darker than some beers in it's class. Slight aroma, mostly mostly BS adjunts (corn or rice?)and alcohol. Watery but with more flavor than Bud or Miller. Slightly salty and acidic after taste. For what you pay, I guess its OK...

2.56/5  rDev -15.5%

Schlitz is an extra corny Adjunct Lager.

A: Pale straw colour and a good 1 cm head that fades to crappy lacing. 3.5

S: Not much there, maybe some corn. 2.5

T: Corn and hay. Muddy aftertaste. 2

M: Fizzy and reasonably foamy. 3.5

O: Adjunct Lager with extra corn. 2.5

2.56/5  rDev -15.5%

Just a kiss of the hops! there is a hop bite to this beer, true...but, it isn't exactly a good one. I'm way to spoiled by modern American microbrews exceptional use of hops to even come close to appreciate the "kiss" Schlitz offers...

Smell: Eek....don't even want to comment. Nothing special at all.

Appearance: wow, disgustingly typical of a macrobrew. pale straw color with minimal head. Obviously a mass-produced adjunct lager. This one is better drank out of the can. I made the mistake of pouring it in the pintglass. It's appearance takes away from the enjoyment of drinking it. It's like having sex with an ugly girl....you'd rather do it in the dark. Drink it from the can/bottle...for your sake

Taste: Bitter, but with some refreshing qualities. The refreshing qualities are this beers saving grace, other wise it would be a total dud. The beer hits your palate at first with a grainy character. Some malt and minimal corn is present as well. I also detect a small peck of sweetness. The "kiss of the hops" finishes it off...but it's a pungent/astrigent flavor that doesnt do much for the overall taste of the beer. Despite all this below-averageness...the beer is exceptionally crisp. The crispness keeps it from being a swill beer. This one is best enjoyed ice cold.

Mouthfeel: mmm rather unpleasant. I think bitter would describe the mouthfeel pretty well. It is crisp...but the excess grain and cheap hop flavor just kills any odds at a good mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Alright, this stuff can go down the hatch at a quick pace. It's a cheap lager...what do you expect. Is it a top-notch cheap-ass-lager-session-beer??? No, it's not. Will it do? Yes...it will do, but you could do better for same price.

Here's my thoughts on Shlitz: It's crispness make it a viable cheap lager option, but otherwise....stick to PBR and Milwaukee's Best. They are far superior cheap lagers.

2.55/5  rDev -15.8%

I cant believe I waited so long in my life to have one of these. Sometimes you can hinder your beer intelligence by being swayed by false rumors and false reputations. This beer really is better than most macro's...especially the big dogs. It's much better than its price demographic competitors. Wow! Clean finish. Very little aftertaste combined with better than average flavor..especially for a brew of this style and origin. Very straight forward. Carbonation loaded but a little sweet and without the common alcohol aftertaste from similiar cheaper macro's. Freezing cold it kinda reminds me of what Coors Original falls short of accomplishing. My 3.59+tax for 6-16oz cans couldn't have been better spent. If you can find it in your area and you are on a budget..this selection ...to me...is now a no brainer. A little grainy with corn sweetness but higher drinkability than Bud or Coor's.

upon a second visit the vegetable characteristics and booziness are a bit much... cold those flavors come off quite well... a little warmth and this gets ugly.... dropping the taste down to 2.5 on this edit.

2.53/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I admit, this beer takes me back to the 70's. "Just the kiss of the hops" and all that. This poured like an American macro lager, but with a drier head than others. Taste is of malted grains, corn in particular, with a very sweet mouthfeel. Hops are there, to be sure, but weak and unimpressive. The taste is in the malt, where you get a raw, grit-like character. A metalic taste is also present. I will try this in bottles next time.

2.53/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This was the somewhat advertised "1960s forumula" Schlitz I tried, and while the marketing hype left me a bit disappointed with the contents of the bottle, I didn't feel this was bad. In fact, I've had craft beers that are far, far, far (Falls Brewing, can you hear me?), worse. There just isn't a lot there to taste, but you are still aware that what you're drinking is beer. Color is faint, head is abundant, smell is slightly sweet without being corny, and taste was very clean, although there wasn't much taste. Mouthfeel was oddly not watery. Not bad, but not much to hate. In terms of beers to compare it with, I would say it's better than a Bud, but I would've preferred a High Life. While that statement may not whet anyone's thirst on this site, I think it is a fair statement.

I won't be having this again, but it was not unpleasant. I did appreciate the fancy logo-ed footed pilsener glass that this was served with at Burnhart's in Bayview, WI.

2.52/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance is not good. Straw yellow color pale and faint. Not a lot going on here. Smell and taste are ok, but really just some faint corn malt is all. Not much else going on here. Mouthfeel is average for the style, pretty light, but some carbonation. Drinkability is ok but almost a bit skunked.

2.52/5  rDev -16.8%

Start off with the smell, a bit sweet but overall bland. The appearance is a mediocre yellow.

The taste is very watery, a bit sweet but with no overall depth. Very dry aftertaste with a slight kick. It goes down very easily, but then again so does water.

For it's price this is an okay beer, but it's a little to average for my liking. The kind of beer you would drink where you would guzzle down 20 and don't want to notice the taste.

2.5/5  rDev -17.5%

I couldnt resist and have to do a Schlitz review. I mean, how you gonna run a succesful establishment, if you aint got no Schlitz malt liquor. Pale, pale, straw/piss yellow, bubbly bleach white head. dissipates, no retention or stick. hardly any nose, cheap grain, sugar. tastes pretty much the same. surprisingly sweet and not surprisingly dull. Just the kiss of hops is right. Sublte hop bitter on the finish tries to leave dry but sugar sticks around. Drinkable in the sense that its not offensive at all, but not drinkable in that its totally boring. Better than BMC but still whats the point of this. Got this can for free and couldnt resist crackin it as I wait for my pizza. Its iconic thats for damn sure, and I'd rather see people with a tall boy can in their hand than BMC any day. So rock on Schlitz with your mediocrity! You love it and we love you for it.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My first beer. Dad used to say,"go get me a beer". I would open it, and take a "sip". Pretty soon I was drinking it when he wasn't looking. They changed the recipe in the 70's otherwise it would be bigger than Bud. I had one about a month ago, and it tasted like water. No after taste, no before taste, just a bland watery taste. I still smile every time I see those faded "Schliz" signs outside the bars where the greatest generation drinks. I think in about 10-20 years Schlitz will be history. Then again, I still drink Moxie.

2.5/5  rDev -17.5%

Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)