Schlitz | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

good
Read the review
SchlitzSchlitz

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States
schlitzgusto.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

Entry for 12 oz. cans and draft only.

"Classic 1960's formula" Schlitz reintroduced in 2008 is known as "Schlitz Gusto". Available in 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/106/44315

Added by BeerAngel on 05-29-2000

2.8/5  rDev -7.6%

I have had this beer numerous times. I have only heard of this "folklore" beer as the dying breed of original beers. What makes me coming back to this beer is that it is an easy beer to drink (for people who prefer a more higher end beer, i.e. Millers, Buds) compared to a Blatz or Milwaukee Ice. The apperance is like a normal American brew, copper color nothing special there. The smell once again common of beers. The taste now that is where the money is like I said before, it has a light feel and a crisp, but not to bitter taste. Mouthfeel, you just wanna get this beer down, and it is an average drinkiability for the normal American beer. So if you enjoy the classics, like myself, and have never had one, go TRY and find some. If your in the Green Bay area, I can only find one grocery store that carries this living legend of beer. ENJOY.

2.48/5  rDev -18.2%

I was picking up some beer to taste, spotted Schlitz for 85 cents a can and picked up a couple. Being the only beer I bought that was cold... I'll start here.

A: on the darker side of pale, lightly carbonated with a one finger white head that quickly exits to a thin, thin head

S: faint hops, little malt. really not much of a smell

T: not bad at all, hops, little carbonation

M: med. light mouthfeel

D: A could find myself drinking a number of these. They are refreshing. I would buy these before Bud, Miller, Coors and the like.

This was probably the first beer I ever tasted in my life (sip of dads) when I was in my early single digits. It doesn't bring back that "beery" taste I remember, but not bad at all.

3.2/5  rDev +5.6%

ok first off this is a "macro". light in color. good carbonation. good head and some lace. for a lighter macro this is a damn fine beer. way ahead of the big three. when you want a big three type, that is reasonably priced choose this or based on availability their malt liquor or PBR or Strohs.

after this i dont know why anyone would want the big three. must be the parties and bikini clad girls that automatically show up when you open a can...never happened to me damnit!

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

2.65/5  rDev -12.5%

This beer doesn't suck as much as everybody says it does. It seems to be the same color as a Sam Adams Light that I had earlier tonight. The smell reminds me of the bottle caps I used to sniff that my dad would pry off of Stroh's bottles and throw into the campfire.... But miss. I would pick them up out of the dirt and smell them for some reason. I liked it but I can't explain why. Those were good times. So perhaps we should appreciate Schlitz NOT for its quality, but for its memories it has provided us with. I like Schlitz. And I will return to the only store in Metro Detroit (Beverage Warehouse at 13 Mile and Greenfield) that carries this wonderful product and I will buy a case of Schlitz again. And Again. And again. This is the beer that made Milwaukee famous. Established in 1849. Let's keep the ball rolling.

3.8/5  rDev +25.4%

This was one of those beers that my friends have always told me was awful. How wrong they were. I picked up a case for $11. Yes, $11. I couldn't believe how good it tasted! Of course, it's not a craft beer. The taste will not blow you away. BUT, this is the kind of beer you could drink every day. Long day at work? Get a can of Schlitz, turn on the TV and relax. Poured a decent yellow, not much head, bit of lace. Smell was ok. Taste was very good. It's sad to think of the people paying much more $$$ for beer that isn't better than this one.

3.9/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Just a kiss of the hops, indeed. I poured this fine brew into a chilled footed pilsner glass.
The appearance is a brilliant, heavenly yellow with a foamy white head.
Smell is pleasant, the aroma is rich of hints of wheat , corn and Hops.
Taste is a great for a budget beer , a perfect balance of hops and malt.
Mouthfeel is really nice, you get a nice array of flavors, light bodied, well balanced brew overall, crisp and clean.
Drinkability , pretty nice session beer, these would be nice out of an icy cooler on a hot summer day.
Overall one of the best tasting cheapies out of a can.

2.8/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Cheap beer, but not awful beer. This is in the family of Schaefer and PBR- they're virtually the same beer. This one just has a bit less flavor. Still, it's another great hot day beer, serve it as cold as possible, and down one or six. You probably won't even hurt the next day!

2.85/5  rDev -5.9%

This is just about everything you could ask for in a cheap beer. Served cold, out of the can on a hot day and you're golden. You can have plenty of these and not suffer a headache the next day. Just enough flavor to let you know it's beer. "Just the kiss of the hops" indeed.
An ideal sort of beer to serve at parties.

3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours to a frothy white head that fades to a thin ring. Color is a clear pale gold. Aroma is sweet and grainy with some malt character coming through. Flavor is sweet and surprisingly malty for a cheap american lager. Yes, there is a "kiss of hops" detectable in there. Finishes with a lingering hop flavor and a corny sweetness. Mouthfeel is a bit flat and watery. A good beer at a great price.

3.7/5  rDev +22.1%

This was the first "tall boy" (24oz can) I remember...

I bought a 12 pack of 12oz cans for $4.99 at the supermarket

I drank it out of the can so I gave appearance and smell 3's

it tastes good, goes down easy, and I drank 12 cans in a one night sitting with no ill effects the next day
(about 5-6 hours / 4slices of pizza / half a bag of pretzels total time/food consumption).

2.15/5  rDev -29%

16 oz. can poured into a pint mug. It had a nice head on it that dissipated into a touch of foam on the top. No lacing to speak of. Smells just a little grainy, maybe some corn, no hops. It's pretty much transparent except for the usual macro tinge of straw yellow. Taste has a surprising amount of generic hop presence for this style, though still quite low. There's maybe a little taste of grains, but it leaves the tongue so quickly that it's hard to tell. Mouthfeel is equally fleeting.

This would be a good session beer for a hot day, and it's cheap - about $4 for a sixer of pint cans. Since there's little flavor or mouthfeel, you can really knock 'em back, making drinkability its best quality.

3.59/5  rDev +18.5%

I swear I have good tastes in beer. I promise you. I'm almost ashamed of how much I like Schlitz... ALMOST. This beer is actually really well balanced and tastes very good for the price range.

Pours a rich golden color, with nice head retention and decent lacing. The smell is somewhat pungent, and that's really the only thing wrong with this beer. It bubbles nicely in my stein.

This beer tastes exceptionally well. There is an overwhelming presence of malt, as it is a malt beverage, but after the inital malt taste there is a noticeable "kiss of hops" just as advertised. When I first tried this beer years ago I remember noticing the hops and being surprised to find this taste in a beer this notoriously cheap.

Mouthfeel is fine, no sting, but also not too watery, although it is slightly watery feeling. Drinkability is good, as I already have 1 down and poured a 2nd since starting this review.

Picked this up for, no kidding, $4.99 for a twelve pack down at my local CVS/Pharmacy in Tucson. Definately my favorite new cheap beer. Nothing wrong with this brew.

2.9/5  rDev -4.3%

Ahh Schlitz!

A- Very Light transparent. Very clear.

S- Present. No mistaking the smell of Schlitz.

T- Ummmm, I kinda like it. Malt liquor is sweeter than lagers and beer.

M- Light not as full as I thought.

D- Drinkability is good due to its sweetness.

I would recommend this beer to those who like Malt liquors, but prefer less intimidating and full flavored ones.

2.8/5  rDev -7.6%

A - Pours out a clear yellow color with a small, white head. It left no lacing.

S - It smells of corn and grain adjuncts.

T - It tastes of corn, some malt and a little hoppy bitterness.

M - It is smooth and crisp. A light-bodied brew.

D - It is pretty good considering the price ($6 for a 12 pack). Overall, it is a nice representaion of the style.

3.92/5  rDev +29.4%

A no frills beer that's easy to down. Would go good with some barbeque or briskett (sp?). American adjunct filled lager, but not bad. Not much flavor, not bad. Something that's quaffable and would wash down some food fairly easily. $3.50 for a 6 pack. A good beer for the poor.

3.06/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured the contents of can in a 16 oz pint glass. Bought th esixer at the local grocery store for $3.
A great big white head came up with a lots of bubbles that slowly disappeared to some lacing. Very nice golden color.
An average aroma with sweet malt/cereal with a touch of a lager nose (sulfur) . The sweetness follows through in the taste and it is almost balanced with the bitterness,.
This beer has a pretty good mouthfeel, almost like a helles. It just about right for the style.
Schlitz is a very drinkable beer, easy drinking with just enough taste to keep the drinker happy.
My favorite for the style

3.68/5  rDev +21.5%

reviewed this one before but have been going through a grandpa beer phase lately and a lot of PBR,High Life, Schaefer and the likes have been coming out so i figured i might as well give this another shot. pours golden yellow with a decent head that reduces to some lacing. smell is straight forward macro smell but not as skunky. the taste is definitly just a kiss of the hops. not a ton of flavors going on, but extremely refreshing. smooth with no off flavors. overall really solid and i think my favorite for this style.

2.35/5  rDev -22.4%

I'm typing this review from notes, and I don't remember why I wrote this exactly, but the first words are "Smells- grassy hop and sulpher (more like farts and poo)" Hmmm.. Its possible I was just in a beligerent mood but I obviously did not find the smell appealing. I do remember why I did not like the appearance, it had no head and was seriously the color of pale, dirty water (these beers really are best from the can).

I have to say the taste actually pleasantly surprised me. It starts with a nice, sweet, bready grain, just a hint of rice astringency and alcohol before Schlitz actually delivers on its "kiss of the hops" slogan and adds a pleasant grassiness to a sweet aftertaste. Mouthfeel is midwieght, a little strupy, and dead save some grain astringency. I would be very interested in having this fresh on tap, where some of the issues might be resolved.

3.25/5  rDev +7.3%

I honestly expected a lot less with the price that I paid for a case of this beer, but I was pleasantly surprised. The appearance was a light gold with a medium head. The smell had a slight fruit and malt aroma along with a bit of hop aroma as well. I also detected a bit of corn in there too, but that is to be expected. The taste really wasn't bad at all and was quite refreshing. Although it is still relatively light on the body side, it still had more flavor than I expected both with the malt and the hops. The mouthfeel had a medium carbonation and was quite crisp when it was cold. I believe that this beer is very drinkable, especially for it's price. The only downside I found was that (like many beers of it's type) it loses it's appeal once it gets warmer. Nevertheless, Schlitz is a beer that still lives up to it's tradition as being a cheap beer of decent quality for the working man.

3.42/5  rDev +12.9%

This is a good, cheap beer. Pours an initial head of foam that reduces and some lacey rings remain for a bit.

Smell is quite floral from the hops for a macro, and some corn hints int he nose as well

tastes darn good, really a perfect amount of hops, if only there were some more malt this would be a quality beer. Definately top of class that it's in.

Goes down easy, some corn flavor remaisn int he back and mild taste of alcohol.

At $5.47 a 12-pack at wal mart it's a cheap session, and very sessionable. Hands down better than the big three or any other macro in my opnion. Platoon this with PBG and Old Style and have some real classics if you are value conscious.

I ran across the room and grabbed this one out of the hands of my friend. It was a darker yellow (apple juice) and tasted of sweet and stale cereal grains. It seemd rather corrupted with a filthy finish that made me momentarily lose my balance. I smacked my friend across the teeth, and poured the rest out on his lap. His father came into the room and told us that once upon a time, Schlitz was a mighty market contender, and that he drank it up until the 70's when he could no longer stomach the effect all their cost-cutting innovations had done to its integrity.

2.94/5  rDev -3%

Light amber body with a quarter inch white head. Smell is not overwealming, but seems sweet with hints of yeast and hop. Watery, yeasty, sweet... more corn than I thought there would be... Taste relatively one-dimensional, unfortunately. Fairly drinkable though... Inoffensive and cheap...

3.48/5  rDev +14.9%

This is a great budget beer to keep on hand. American Macro beers don't have any hop presence and are mostly adjunct ridden corn smelling swill. Schlitz is an exception for the most part. There is a hop presence, nice carbonation, decent (yet light) mouthfeel, lots of drinkability, and a crisp finish with a malt backbone that lacks the sour corn/adjunct flavor that most of this style usually have. There is some corn happening but it is muted. It isn't an award winner but at $5.49 a 12 pack there isn't much that beats it in its class. However, be careful in large quantities. It is easy to put away a ton of this and that will put you on the toilet often the next day. You have been warned. Schlitz will give you the Schitz.

4.1/5  rDev +35.3%

Appearance -- Poured from can to glass mug. The color is a deep, pure gold. Very effervescent. Head was about a finger and was a bubbly white.

Smell -- Just a little hoppy with sweet malt. It reminds me of a much weaker German pilsner. I know that other have claimed to, but I do not smell any corn adjuncts. Not what I was expecting at all.

Taste -- Like the can says, "Just a Kiss of Hops." There's a little bit of hop bitterness which balances well with the malty sweetness. This is very clean and refreshing. Not at all like a Miller High Life, where the finish is just too sweet.

Every couple of sips I think I taste a corn like sweetness, but this could be my imagination. Not what I was expecting . . . this tastes pretty good.

Mouthfeel -- Just right for the style. Kind of watery, but there is a little gravity here. This is what I'm looking for on an 80+ degree day.

Drinkability -- This one is very sessionable. I never purchase macro beers but for some reason I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to give an American classic a try: I'm glad I did. When you're in the mood give this one a try. Don't automatically write it off as "swill."

3.4/5  rDev +12.2%

I'm not sure what it is about old school cheap macro beers(PBR,Schlitz, Miller High Life) but consistently throughout my life, I have really enjoyed them. I probably hadn't drunk a Schlitz in over 10 years until yesterday that is. A: Medium yellow with more golden indications than most macros. S: Has a corn mash smell with a little diacetyl hint, really not that bad. T: Like the can says "just the kiss of the hops". It was a little sweet with a tiny touch of a hop finish that balanced it out pretty well. M: Viscous enough for coverage but thin nonetheless. D: I'd have to say above average potential for sessioning esp @ $2.99 a six pack. My local availability is very limited. I can only find it at one particular grocery store. When it came to old school icons I actually always preferred Falstaff back in the day, and I still prefer PBR. Honestly though just for variety's sake, for my next event that calls for cheap beer,(poker game, Mon/Thurs night football game) I think I might opt for the beer that made Milwaukee famous.

Schlitz from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)