Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor) | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)
2.65/5
Poor
Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States
schlitzgusto.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

None provided.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 106 | Ratings: 203

To me, the king of Malt Liquors. Overall I would rate it as average, because there are none from this category I would consider outstanding. Is a sweet smelling and tasting brew, light bodied but extremely poundable. Let's be honest, if your drinking ml's you're not looking for sipping brews.

2.62/5  rDev -1.1%

L: Thick head, decent lacing, deep golden color.

S: Sweet malt and corn. Fairly weak.

T: Very sweet, basically no hops, inoffensive but not very rich or grainy.

F: Medium bodied with very clean finish. Not as carbonated as the X.L. Schlitz malt liquor (Red bull)

Overall: You could do worse than this one but it's not even better than OE 800. I like the Red Bull X.L. Schlitz better as it is not as sweet. A middle of the road malt liquor that is worth a try but not worth going out of your way for.

4.94/5  rDev +86.4%

This economy Beer is a major contender with top notch brews. For the price, I recommend you skip pabst, miller and coors. Go for the Bull. The look is super clear, light straw in appearance. The presentation of the can is fair. Since this is a economic Beer, I suppose the design is not bad. The nose is sweet and yeasty with some slight spoiled grain smell. Meh, the smell is boring. For flavor, this is not exceptional but very similar to Miller high life. Top end sweetness with faint yeast/white bread notes, quickly goes into some maltiness and hop bitterness in the middle. The finish is a little wet. I really enjoyed the body of this beer. Good sting carbonation that pricks your pallet with a fantastic creamy texture as it goes down. Very nice medium body. As you drink, the hops and ethyl acetate build up on your pallet, rendering your taste buds useless. I believe Schlitz malt liquor tastes much better than Miller high life due to the fact high life has a thin body and a overwhelming canned vegetable taste. This beer has none of that! If you are looking for something with more flavor and more alcohol hit, I recommend this beer!

3.67/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear bright golden yellow with medium head.
Smell is pretty light corn and grain.
Taste is sweet malt, grain, and a hint of apple in the finish.
Better than expected.

3.1/5  rDev +17%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

One of the better Malt Liquors out there, and I have tried about all of them. I remember the old commercial "don't say beer, say bull." If I want a little "boost" during an afternoon of draining cans, I generally alternate the bull and whatever aal is in the fridge at the time. Not wonderful, but it does the job, and I have never sputtered in disgust when taking a sip/chug of one of these. Then again, I don't ask for much. Between all of the smoking I did in my younger days (thankfully behind me) and all of the spicy foods I like now, my taste buds may be sub-par. Good for me, 'cause I will drink about anything.

3.7/5  rDev +39.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The Stroh Brewing Co. "Schlitz Malt Liquor"
32 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "JUL0317..." and sample on 2 October 2017
$2.76 @ New Stop Discount Liquor Outlet, Camden, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: Risking life and limb in Camden, NJ (currently #10 in the country for murders) I picked up a 32 oz. bottle of Schlitz Malt Liquor. It wasn't until after I left that I realized I'd screwed up. I thought to myself, "Damn, you was supposed to get a 40!". Oh well. It's got a fingerprint-through-the-glass clarity in a light straw gold body beneath a foamy then creamy white head that holds surprisingly well and leaves some very nice lacing behind. What is going on? And there are also some hops found in the aroma - not just background hops, but clear hops along with sweetish golden malt. I must be having a very good "nose day" because I don't remember ever having a malt liquor that smelled of hops. I'd say they're floral and a bit herbal. There's also some fruit there as well, apple-like. Ahhh, and yes, that carries over into the flavor, there's a clear note of juicy red apple amidst the sweetish malt and hops. Keep in mind, these hops are not to the strength that most craft beer drinkers will think of, but they're there nonetheless. I was just about to say that there are also no off-notes, aromas or flavors due to a high fermentation but as I'm looking at the bottle I see that it's only 5.9% ABV - that explains a lot. Budweiser is currently 5.0% so it's not really that much higher. There's just a light hint of extra alcohol that actually works with the slight bit of extra malt. It's not bad, and in fact, it's pretty good - at least for a malt liquor. So let's sum up so far. It's got surprisingly good head retention and it leaves very nice lacing, and the aroma is nice. There's a hint of alcohol that I didn't find at first but it's not bad at all; and the flavor is very well balanced as well. Could it be a touch more bitter to balance the malt and give a drier finish? Perhaps, but this is a malt liquor which is supposed to be a little sweet. It's medium bodied and moderately crisp, which accentuates it's sweetish adjunct-laden golden maltiness but still it's smooth and quite nice - I'll give it a 3.5 as I think it could be a little crisper, but then again, I have to keep in mind that this is an American malt liquor and it's supposed to be more malty and smooth. Hmmm, I don't know, maybe it should get a 3.75 for being to style. So, the only thing left to judge it on is it's overall character, and in that regard I originally thought that it was one of the best malt liquors I'd ever tasted, and the fact that it had some hops and very nice lacing was a huge bonus.

1.65/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Hard to drink an entire 40 compared to OE, my go-to. There is a faint sweetness that tastes artificial, like corn syrup. Paired with the high-gravity flavor and the blue bull design, I feel like I'm drinking a terrible mix drink. It was on sale at my bodega though, so I bought it a few times.

3.02/5  rDev +14%

Malty and bold taste, which at least is more interesting than AAL's. Slightly bitter. In college we had SML on ice with a twist of lemon, called it a Schlitz Twist. It vastly improved it, and was great on a hot summer day. But - we would drink anything back then...

2.51/5  rDev -5.3%

A decent malt liquor. Bought at some hole in the wall liquor store near St. Louis on my way to Lake Timberline. Poured a golden straw color with a head that didn't stick around too long. Aroma was corn with a whiff of booze. Can't seem to find it here in Massachusetts.

2.65/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A-Pours a straw color with a slight head and lacing
A-Aroma has malt hints
T-The taste follows the nose with a malt flavor
M-A light bodied well carbonated beer
O-A decent malt liqour

2.43/5  rDev -8.3%

Soooooo on the way back from a longggggg day on the job I'm cruising on a janky exit from the highway needing a pack of smoke and decide to stop at the nearest convenience store I can find. Low and behold I stumble upon cases and cases of this and other bottom of the barrel Malt liquors for $1 a piece or $15 for a case of 24.

Curiosity may kill the cat, But tonight is not a night for fancy aristocratic swill to grace my palate, it's a night for GETTING DRUNK. So begins the conquest..

Look - Darker shade of yellow with a big ole frothy white head with bubbles popping like a volcano getting ready to erupt. The head does not cling very well and it eventually recedes to but a ghost within your glass without a touch of lacing.

Smell - WOOOHOOOOO, Alcohol and lots of it. I can almost smell the obama phone in this one!.

Taste - Alcoholic everywhere, but it isn't all that offensive. a pleasant, mouth numbing touch of alcohol. The usual graininess and finishes a tad sweet.

Feel - Medium bodied with a touch of the carbonation for measure.

Overall - Not really that bad. Smells more alcoholic than it turned out to be.

2.28/5  rDev -14%

Straight from the 24 oz can. Can't tell what the appearance is cuz it's just a small hole in the top of the can. The aroma smelled a lot like aluminum with a touch of corn. The taste was pretty close to the smell, kinda not very nice. The mouthfeel was pure AAL, watery, with a bit of of carbonation. Overall, this beer brought back the old high school daze, fun, but glad it was behind me.

3.19/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Purchased at the LCBO for $4.10 for a 650ml bottle. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens ok and pours a tiny white head that is gone in seconds. Medium gold color and filtered clear

S- Some hops and malt but mild

T- Good general brew. North American style all the way and a decent example of it. Has a good hop base compared to similar styles.

M- A bit creamy which is a plus

O- Good North American beer. Have had a lot worse than this one.

Food Pairing

This pretty strong flavored brew went well with....... BBQ'd hot dogs. Top 'em the way you like 'em

Enjoy

3.75/5  rDev +41.5%

Schlitz O.M.L Malt Liquor brewed by JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. This brew has an ABV of 5.9% The pour on this brew is nice. This brew pours out a nice golden amber color with a nice white head. The smell is corn with some grans. There is nothing bad about this brew so far. There is a lot corn in the taste of this brew but it has a nice balance to it. This brew goes down nice for having a 5.9% ABV. Schlitz Malt Liquor is one of the better Malt Liquors on the market. There is nothing over powering in this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3.75 out of 5. I would get this brew again.

2.49/5  rDev -6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Upgraded to full review 11/12/16: 24-oz can, standard pour into shaker pint. Looks quite nice, particularly for style. Darker gold with extreme clarity. There was even a decent head, though its near-instantaneous dissipation makes sense when you see the lack of active carbonation. The smell is not off-putting. Largely neutral, even, though there's the huskiest whiff of DMS-y cooked corn. Taste brings that corn to the forefront, though it still tastes roughly beer-ish. The bitterness of the alcohol almost reminds you of hops. The body is full and inviting. Frankly, this is a decent beer, one worthy of being lumped in among the AALs rather than the true malt liquors. I'd definitely take one in the event I was looking to get tanked.

2.21/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

2012 Schlitz Original - Reviewed 10/21/2012

Appearance: Schlitz pours a pale straw color with extremely visible carbonation. The head explodes in malty goodness, but dissipates into a light dusting. I shed a nostalgic tear as a gaze upon the beauty of 172 years of love poured into my tasting glass.

Smell: Immediately the aroma of my alcoholic uncle's breath comes through the bouquet of malts and hops. The nose is lovingly caressed by golden ears of corn and barley. Sugary sweetness makes the heart beat fonder in anticipation.

Taste: Truly the original malt liquor, Schlitz tastes like the days when men used to drunkenly crash their boats into large rocks. We start off smooth but develop into a more complex profile of grains and a bit of spice on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Schlitz greets the tongue with velvety smoothness and invites you to come back for more. Light-bodied and refreshing, this malt liquor prances and plays across the pallet.

Overall: Schlitz is the epitome of average, the everyman's beer. And I love it. Pairs well with creamed corn or biscuits and gravy. Best enjoyed at the tailgate table with a bag of Sam's Club potato chips, or around a tire-fire with an extreme spicy Slim-Jim. Either way, stock up on Schlitz original today!

3.5/5  rDev +32.1%

An excellent American Malt Liquor. Schlitz OML has a malty character with slight fusel alcohol note mixed with an apple meets bready overtone with slight grassy character. It is rich by malt liquor standards. Tastes pleasant. Drink only when cold. It is horrid warm. I have drank this in cans and in 40 ounce bottles. I favor it in 40's. Does nothing wrong in malt liquor. Only Colt 45 for me is a better malt liquor, or Olde English 800. I rate this 3.50. A superb cheap drunk. I like this and drink it every so often.

3.93/5  rDev +48.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I Honestly do not understand why this VERY good "Malt Liquor" gets so many Bad reviews..? I Myself have always enjoyed it a GR8 Deal ~it is crisp,refreshing,and has a very rich full flavor,maybe it's all the craft beer "Snobs" ...or perhaps the "Light Beer" drinkers who are just not used to a somewhat Full flavored semi strong beer that actually has some taste and body~it pours a nice straw,Golden colour,with plenty of carbonation & a pillowy white head,that even leaves a nice lacing around your beer glass of choice...I Know a lot of people slam ALL Malt Liquors,but it's just "Strong Beer" people,Even though @ 5.9 ABV "Schlitz O.M.L" really does not pack that much of a Punch,I just drink it because it taste awesome to me,and judging from a LOT of the reviews here I am NOT Alone in my love of this tasty beverage~it's just too bad that so many people do not give "Malt Liquors" in General a chance,and think all of it is just Cheap Crap that taste like shit,the Real Truth is that a lot of Malt Liquors are VERY Good Beers,if you happen to enjoy a full bodied,rich,American Strong Beer that actually taste like a REAL Beer~Cheers;)

4.46/5  rDev +68.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I became introduced to Schlitz Malt Liquor 35 years ago as a teen. It was the drink of my older brother. After trying different beers over the years, I found myself returning and sticking to the Bull. The taste is smooth and original. I find it like an energy drink. I drink it during my softball tournaments and stay energized. It doesn't leave the aftertaste as other high priced beers does. It is not considered as a quick drunk beer to me and my sports friends. It is the beer of choice, and trust me we can afford any beer out there, but we prefer our Bull.

4.23/5  rDev +59.6%

Appearance is yellow color

Smell : Schlitz Malt Liquor smells like a malt liquor

Taste: This beer has character to it ! It is not off putting to taste to it or no taste. The taste has a light grainy sweetness to it actually balanced off with -grassy hop bitterness . It is not overly sweet like some malt liquors.

mouthfeel : Nice body with great carbonation

Schlitz malt liquor is one top malt liquors out there for taste and value on market. This beer beats out 99 percent lagers out there. It is well made beer with great value. Majority of people have a perception malt liquor is cheap and ghetto drank! This is far from the truth of Schlitz malt liquor which is high quality with awesome price to it. Some people will never get over their small minded out look on life and beer !

The taste has a light grainy sweetness to it actually balanced with a wisp of piney-grassy hop bitterness and flavour. This is a little less grain-tasting, sweet, and full-bodied than some, like

4.49/5  rDev +69.4%

this review is for all you beer snobs who actually poured this swill into a fucking glass!

AppeArance: blue silver.and black can with a badass bull, loks cool!
Smell: I don't know cause I didn't fucking smell.it
Taste: it taste pretty damn good for.a cheap ass malt licka!
Mouthfeel: it feels like a fucking beer in my mouth.
Overall: its a cheap buzz! The best commercial malt.liquor available. Its cheap! It doesn't taste like shit(miller lite) its nearly 6%, when you cant afford a damn stout or ipa or tripel wtf ever man drink some fuckin malt licka for.a cheap buzz ! Hoggie I love you!!!$

4.3/5  rDev +62.3%

Appearance: Light yellow/straw color, with a frothy, white head. The beer leaves some nice lacing.

Aroma: smells a lot like P.B.R., but less grassy. Corn adjunct sweetness dominating the aroma.

Taste: Sweet; corn; grain; a grassy bitterness from the hops; fruit; and white bread—in that order.

Finish: dry, crisp, refreshing.

Mouthfeel: A nice balance for the style: light and watery, but not too light and watery.

Overall: I got the last 12 pack in my local Ingles, and it isn't restocking. And sadly, I've never seen it anywhere else in person. This is a great go-to/daily beer, but I have a feeling I may not see it again for a long time. There is nothing offensive about this beer. Nor is it the case that the beer is lacking in aroma, Flavor, or body.

3.09/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 40 into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours from the clear bottle into the glass as a light golden/straw color with a big billowy white head. The head fades has a fantastic level of retention, fading to leave a lighter level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is very light overall and consists mainly of some corn and skunky smells with a little bit of a grainy aroma.

Taste – A sweet corny and malty taste greets the tongue. It is rather smooth upfront with some light graininess coming to the tongue more toward the middle of the taste. A caramel flavor comes to the tongue more at this time as well keeping a rather sweet taste in the brew. Toward the end a light paper and metallic taste comes to the tongue leaving a sweet and lightly bready taste on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is rather average with a carbonation level that is on the average side as well. Appropriate for the style as it is both drinkable but yet still decently thick enough to allow for the sweet corny and light grainy flavors to be sensed by the tongue without being too thick and accentuating the more off flavors (paper and a little bit of metal).

Overall – It fits the malt character rather well. While not a flavor powerhouse and even with some light off flavors, it is quite cheap (paid $2.29 for a 40) and still very drinkable. Not too bad.

3.75/5  rDev +41.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Okay, so this beer is tossed in with all of the ghetto brews, some of which cause the worst bitter beer face while you are dirnking them. they are high alcohol and taste like crap but you swallow them down, not for the taste, but for the sole purpose of getting hammered.

During my college years when my monthly beer budget was 1% what it is today, my choices were limited to the ghetto brew aisle. I tried just about everything until i found the Schlitz 32s for 89 cents. 15 years later, I still drink this beer along with a ton of "ooh la la" stuff, and still love it. Sometimes when serving at home I will pour some into a glass and give it to a guest and almost everyone likes it, their jaws drop when I tell them it was Schlitz malt liquor.

Bottom line, don't let the label and aggressive ghetto targeted marketing fool you, this is a good beer, especially for the price.

3.17/5  rDev +19.6%

What do you get when you combine an impromptu road trip, an inevitable gas station stop, & insatiable curiosity? Well, in this case you get me reviewing Schlitz Blue Bull.

Pint can from a so-cheap-it's-nuts 4-pack cracked open for glass. Highly carbonated yellow, maybe a centimeter of white thick head come up & then goes poof, though the lacing is still there. Smell reminds me of apple, plus sweet corn (if "corn" is a surprise, honestly, malt liquor is not for you), though in a way not annoying at all. Think sweet corn in the sense of the kind you can get at the fair or something, not a bad thing really.

So how does it taste? Let's find out:

Pale malt (as in actual malt) comes through in a way normally not associated with these, along with what the smell already notes to. Subtle still though. The carbonation actually calms down to make it go down as richer than you'd think.

This is going to sound like sacrilege here, but this is a good beer. If this were available where I actually live, it'd be a regular when I wasn't holding craft money. Lawnmower steez for places where lawns don't grow that well.

Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)