Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor) | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)
2.62/5
Poor
Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States
schlitzgusto.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by Todd on 03-27-2002

Reviews by Darkmagus82:
3.09/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 40 into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours from the clear bottle into the glass as a light golden/straw color with a big billowy white head. The head fades has a fantastic level of retention, fading to leave a lighter level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is very light overall and consists mainly of some corn and skunky smells with a little bit of a grainy aroma.

Taste – A sweet corny and malty taste greets the tongue. It is rather smooth upfront with some light graininess coming to the tongue more toward the middle of the taste. A caramel flavor comes to the tongue more at this time as well keeping a rather sweet taste in the brew. Toward the end a light paper and metallic taste comes to the tongue leaving a sweet and lightly bready taste on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is rather average with a carbonation level that is on the average side as well. Appropriate for the style as it is both drinkable but yet still decently thick enough to allow for the sweet corny and light grainy flavors to be sensed by the tongue without being too thick and accentuating the more off flavors (paper and a little bit of metal).

Overall – It fits the malt character rather well. While not a flavor powerhouse and even with some light off flavors, it is quite cheap (paid $2.29 for a 40) and still very drinkable. Not too bad.

2.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Schlitz Malt Liquor is an interesting brand in this genre. It has a smallish head and light yellow color; also relatively minimal carbonation. The smell is very lager-like and mild. This malt liquor, while having a rather harsh taste that takes some adjusting to, does have distinct characteristics and could be described as much more beer-like than most malt liquors. The taste is harsh on the front end, but winds up mild and satisfying at the end. Mouthfeel is crisp and pleasant. Drinkability for Schlitz Malt Liquor is contingent upon it being served very cold and kept that way. I'd recommend this with spicy or salty foods, maybe even raw oysters. Overall, it's okay. I'm sure I'll drink it again at some point. I drank this out of a 40 oz. bottle in a chalice over a one day period.

RJT

2.08/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours an ultra clear yellow brew.

Smell is damn close to no smell, just a little grain and yeast. It doesn't smell bad; it just almost has no smell.

Taste is a bit sweet and a light grain flavor; there is a noticeable amount of hops in this.

Mouthfeel is average at best.

More drinkable than you would think. This isn't necessarily inferior to Budweiser, but it is just really an Alcohol delivery device.

2.21/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

2012 Schlitz Original - Reviewed 10/21/2012

Appearance: Schlitz pours a pale straw color with extremely visible carbonation. The head explodes in malty goodness, but dissipates into a light dusting. I shed a nostalgic tear as a gaze upon the beauty of 172 years of love poured into my tasting glass.

Smell: Immediately the aroma of my alcoholic uncle's breath comes through the bouquet of malts and hops. The nose is lovingly caressed by golden ears of corn and barley. Sugary sweetness makes the heart beat fonder in anticipation.

Taste: Truly the original malt liquor, Schlitz tastes like the days when men used to drunkenly crash their boats into large rocks. We start off smooth but develop into a more complex profile of grains and a bit of spice on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Schlitz greets the tongue with velvety smoothness and invites you to come back for more. Light-bodied and refreshing, this malt liquor prances and plays across the pallet.

Overall: Schlitz is the epitome of average, the everyman's beer. And I love it. Pairs well with creamed corn or biscuits and gravy. Best enjoyed at the tailgate table with a bag of Sam's Club potato chips, or around a tire-fire with an extreme spicy Slim-Jim. Either way, stock up on Schlitz original today!

2.43/5  rDev -7.3%

Soooooo on the way back from a longggggg day on the job I'm cruising on a janky exit from the highway needing a pack of smoke and decide to stop at the nearest convenience store I can find. Low and behold I stumble upon cases and cases of this and other bottom of the barrel Malt liquors for $1 a piece or $15 for a case of 24.

Curiosity may kill the cat, But tonight is not a night for fancy aristocratic swill to grace my palate, it's a night for GETTING DRUNK. So begins the conquest..

Look - Darker shade of yellow with a big ole frothy white head with bubbles popping like a volcano getting ready to erupt. The head does not cling very well and it eventually recedes to but a ghost within your glass without a touch of lacing.

Smell - WOOOHOOOOO, Alcohol and lots of it. I can almost smell the obama phone in this one!.

Taste - Alcoholic everywhere, but it isn't all that offensive. a pleasant, mouth numbing touch of alcohol. The usual graininess and finishes a tad sweet.

Feel - Medium bodied with a touch of the carbonation for measure.

Overall - Not really that bad. Smells more alcoholic than it turned out to be.

2.75/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This isn't as nasty as I remember from when I had this is high school. The appearance is yellow with a foamy head that quickly subsides. Aroma is that sweet malt liquor smell that all malt liquors seem to have in common, this is fairly unoffensive when compared to others. Taste isn't as sickly sweet as I remember. RIght now it seems just like any adjunct lager, just with more alocohol and a little bit more sweetness. I'm not gonna lie and say this is good, however, it is slightly better than the average malt liquor.

2.86/5  rDev +9.2%

24 oz. can, first time I have seen this in Huntington Beach, bought at the local Albertson's on Beach and Yorktown/Utica for $1.29.

A: Pours a pale, golden yellow, pretty good head for a macro, white and fizzy, but lasted for pretty much the whole drink, no lacing though.

S: Light and thin, with some malt and alcohol notes.

T: Tastes pretty much of malt and corn, no hops to speak of. It is a bit boozy, the alcohol is evident, even at 5.9%, but this is malt liquor we're talking about, so I expected this fact.

M: Medium-bodied for a macro, light overall, a bit medicinal and solventy from the alcohol.

D: A pretty good malt liquor, easy to drink, a fair beer to beer to buy if you are on a budget.

2.5/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This review is part of Malt Likkapalooza I, the first head to head match in my new series pitting malt liquors against one another in a classic contest of strength, courage and stamina (on my part that is). The first contest will be between the venerable Colt 45 and the much respected Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull. Let's pop the tops and get this rodeo on the road.

Also medium amber and very slightly lighter than the Colt. It's strange, but when I hold the glasses side by side up to the sunlight, the colors look identical. The head on this one is the same off-white, lasts for an identical length of time and leaves an identical amount and pattern of lace. It's difficult to tell these two beers apart from an appearance standpoint.

The aromas are similar and similarly inoffensive. I'll have to give the edge to the Bull due its greater power and floral scent. If they were truly horrendous, the beer with the strongest nose would have scored the lowest.

They taste nearly identical. This beer has more flavor and another layer of flavor complexity compared to its competitor. Let's not get too excited here, I'm talking about a two-dimensional flavor profile rather than a one-dimensional one. These are simple creatures after all. Slight nod to the Bull.

The body on this beer is indistinguishable from its competitor. The carbonation is a little more lively, which makes me like the mouthfeel a tad more (although it isn't worth a higher score). Like the Colt, the alcohol is well hidden.

I don't often reach for an ice-cold malt liquor (okay, never), but if I was so inclined, this wouldn't be a bad way to go. It wins this head to head between the two grizzled veterans of the style and will now be awarded the laurel wreath as the victor in Malt Likkapalooza I. It also wins the ever important 'best can' category thanks to the big blue Bull looking to kick a little Colt.

3.43/5  rDev +30.9%

This is decent, particularly for what it is. Like other lower-alcohol malt liquors, it basically has a character of a slightly stronger basic American pale lager. It basically has an American-lager "beer" smell and taste. It's simple and light but somewhat tasty, smooth, and inoffensive.

Bright yellow-gold, it has a fairly big white head that steadily shrinks to a thin ring but leaves behind a little weak lace.

The aroma is mostly mild grain and cooked rice with a hint of piney-grassy hops and a faint alcohol whiff to it.

The taste has a light grainy sweetness to it actually balanced with a wisp of piney-grassy hop bitterness and flavour. This is a little less grain-tasting, sweet, and full-bodied than some, like Mickey's or Colt 45, but has a slightly stronger hop chracter and bitterness, making it more well-rounded.

2.92/5  rDev +11.5%

Well... the can's a work of friggin art. I'd build a coffeetable out of them if I knew how to build coffetables out of beer cans.

Aside from that, it pours yellow with a small, quickly dissolving white head.

Smells like faint malted barley and strong adjunct. No metal, but light hints of cream and vegetables. Not good, but not horrible.

Tastes a lot like it smells. Big malt, a little creamy, a little corny, with no hops of which to speak.

Not nearly as rough as your average Malt Liquor; it actually tastes like a maltier Budweiser. Not horrible, but not great.

2.75/5  rDev +5%

1.58/5  rDev -39.7%

Well I've had worse malt liquors but not much worse. It poured a piss yellow color with a suprisingy decent head that stayed around and left a touch of lace. The smell was horrible with nothing but skunk and grain. The taste was just as bad, with a really nasty sweetness that made me pucker with disgust after every sip. This is one I will never be drinking again, give me a Mickey's any day!

3.75/5  rDev +43.1%

2.25/5  rDev -14.1%

2.28/5  rDev -13%

Straight from the 24 oz can. Can't tell what the appearance is cuz it's just a small hole in the top of the can. The aroma smelled a lot like aluminum with a touch of corn. The taste was pretty close to the smell, kinda not very nice. The mouthfeel was pure AAL, watery, with a bit of of carbonation. Overall, this beer brought back the old high school daze, fun, but glad it was behind me.

3.58/5  rDev +36.6%

40z. brown bagged.

A: Appears to be a brown bag with a bit of brown bottle prairie doggin'.

S: Smells kind of light a dive... stale beer and mildew-y cardboard/paperbag. A bit of sweetness probably from corn but maybe rice.

T/M: It actually has a surprising amount of flavor. Some biscuit and cereal malts that transition smoothly into a grainy, almost husky malt. Is that a wisp of grassy hops? Maybe I'm already drunk. Body is medium light with slightly elevated carbonation.

D: 5.9% is pretty low for a malt liquor. This wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be. At least pretty good sippin' from the bottle, crouchin' on the corner, shootin' dice with ashy Larry. Tyrone Biggums?!?!?! This is not cocaine in a can and no you can not taste my penis. Now get over here, Ronda!

1.18/5  rDev -55%

I'll confess, I picked up a pint of this on a whim. Not often you get a pint this cheap. It cost me just buck and some pocket change. Pours fairly well, and has a rather nice color to it. Doesn't really smell like much. This last bit's the most surprising, because it tastes like a puddle of frat-party vomit. High alcohol, low on every other feature that really makes beer enjoyable. As I drank it, I felt myself developing an urge to watch football excessively and crush the can on my head. I'd recommend buying a can, just to remind yourself why you shell out the extra cash for a beer that doesn't taste like it was fished from a drainage ditch.

1.99/5  rDev -24%

Poured a few ounces into a juice glass for color and smell. The rest was consumed out of the bottle.

A - pale golden yellow with a thin lacing of soft, white head that leaves a thin lacing

S - grains, metal, corn, alcohol

T - grainy, apples, metal, corn, sweet, alcohol

M - warm, crisp, lightly bodied

This is pretty foul. It has a warm, metallic, grainy taste that's incredibly displeasing. I admit that I bought this more for a cheap buzz than anything else, but I'll steer clear in the future.

3.7/5  rDev +41.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The Stroh Brewing Co. "Schlitz Malt Liquor"
32 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "JUL0317..." and sample on 2 October 2017
$2.76 @ New Stop Discount Liquor Outlet, Camden, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: Risking life and limb in Camden, NJ (currently #10 in the country for murders) I picked up a 32 oz. bottle of Schlitz Malt Liquor. It wasn't until after I left that I realized I'd screwed up. I thought to myself, "Damn, you was supposed to get a 40!". Oh well. It's got a fingerprint-through-the-glass clarity in a light straw gold body beneath a foamy then creamy white head that holds surprisingly well and leaves some very nice lacing behind. What is going on? And there are also some hops found in the aroma - not just background hops, but clear hops along with sweetish golden malt. I must be having a very good "nose day" because I don't remember ever having a malt liquor that smelled of hops. I'd say they're floral and a bit herbal. There's also some fruit there as well, apple-like. Ahhh, and yes, that carries over into the flavor, there's a clear note of juicy red apple amidst the sweetish malt and hops. Keep in mind, these hops are not to the strength that most craft beer drinkers will think of, but they're there nonetheless. I was just about to say that there are also no off-notes, aromas or flavors due to a high fermentation but as I'm looking at the bottle I see that it's only 5.9% ABV - that explains a lot. Budweiser is currently 5.0% so it's not really that much higher. There's just a light hint of extra alcohol that actually works with the slight bit of extra malt. It's not bad, and in fact, it's pretty good - at least for a malt liquor. So let's sum up so far. It's got surprisingly good head retention and it leaves very nice lacing, and the aroma is nice. There's a hint of alcohol that I didn't find at first but it's not bad at all; and the flavor is very well balanced as well. Could it be a touch more bitter to balance the malt and give a drier finish? Perhaps, but this is a malt liquor which is supposed to be a little sweet. It's medium bodied and moderately crisp, which accentuates it's sweetish adjunct-laden golden maltiness but still it's smooth and quite nice - I'll give it a 3.5 as I think it could be a little crisper, but then again, I have to keep in mind that this is an American malt liquor and it's supposed to be more malty and smooth. Hmmm, I don't know, maybe it should get a 3.75 for being to style. So, the only thing left to judge it on is it's overall character, and in that regard I originally thought that it was one of the best malt liquors I'd ever tasted, and the fact that it had some hops and very nice lacing was a huge bonus.

3.42/5  rDev +30.5%

I had $5, thats all my wife left me when she went to work lol. So, I saw the 18 oz bottles of this for $0.99 at the local beverage barn. So, i bought four of them. i got them all nice and cold and sat down to watch my Rangers piss away the AL West to the Oakland A's. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. It was very good. It went down very smoothly and tasted pretty damn good. I like it better than any other Schlitz beer. But, i wished I had more to drown my sorrows of the rangers choking away the division. i will buy this beer again.

2.43/5  rDev -7.3%

Part of a malt liquor tasting.

I see why people drink this from a can. It pours piss yellow with a massive piss head.

Smells the way it looks. Corn sweetness, some skunky smells. Not appealing at all.

Tastes a little better than the nose. If you can get past the smell it's not that bad. The taste is not that exciting, just corn and alcohol.

The feel isn't bad. Creamy and full-bodied, yet syrupy.

Drinkable? Well, it won't kill you immediately. You could do better. It came in dead last during the tasting.

1.5/5  rDev -42.7%

1.8/5  rDev -31.3%

Definite "I am drinking this because of the Alcohol" beer. It does have the malt tast minus the taste of hops. This is because the overwhelming tastes of nail polish remover kills your tastebuds. Prepare your self for one big head ache the next day.

Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)