Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

poor
awful
Read the review
Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States
schlitzgusto.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2002

3.28/5  rDev +46.4%

Oh sweet mother of god - Bull Ice is my #1 go to 40oz when I need to get shit housed on a budget. One of these bad mama-gamas is by far the best way to kick off an evening of slobbering and falling down drunk on the side of the highway. Two of these haymakers will take you into a 4th dimension, and by the 3rd one you'll have no idea how you wound up on the south side of town panhandling shirtless in front of a daycare. God I love this beer!

1.25/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Harsh urine colored alcohol, brings on no head to stick around, doesn't even look professional, clarity sucks. No head to leave lace. Aroma of rubbing alcohol.

Metallic bitterness and fusel alcohol bring up the taste here. Harsh stuff. ABV is high, but at what price?

I can't discern much desired beer stuff here. Hops, nope. Malt, nah, maybe some corn sweetness adjunct stuff. Metallic burn. This is some bad hangover waiting to happen stuff.

4.82/5  rDev +115.2%

1.92/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Back with some more Bottom Shelf Beer Review Week! For the beer #4 of BSBRW, I'm choosing Schlitz Bull Ice.

Appearance : Surprisingly aesthetic, with a very tall three finger head. The head takes its time receding, and leaves lace on the glass that rivals top shelf IPA's. This is certainly the best malt liquor pour I have ever laid eyes on. The body is pale straw and 90% transparent. Easily the best appearance out of any malt liquor ever.

Smell : Mostly corn and grain, slightly toasted, with a bit of hop leaf and chemical. It's not bad, I've smelled worse, and the chemical bill could certainly be higher. So far this is impressing me a little.

Taste : And here's where it falls apart. It tastes like a bowl of fruit loops doused in gasoline. The fruity esters just give this vomity estery character to what would normally be replaced by grain. It's HIGHLY chemical, in fact it tastes like poison. My natural senses are kicking in to say "don't drink this, it's poisonous". However I keep wanting to lick my lips as if there's sugar on them. Is this brewed with antifreeze?!!?

Feel : At this point I don't really care, but it's relatively creamy but mostly sticky, drinks like a syrup, with a burn from the alcohol.

Overall : Cheap junk like this gets you a different kind of drunk than what I'm used to from better quality craft beers. This kind of crap makes you dizzy right off the bat, messes with your coordination, and makes you slur like a redneck. Schlitz Bull Ice is one of the worst beers in existence. This is a beer I will never lay lips to again.

After drinking several beers and then a 40oz of this, I am lucky to find my hotel room. This is not good, but I drank the whole thing simply to prove my manliness. Not a bad way to get drunk if you need to do it quickly. I highly recommend the paper bag that it was served in. Yes, the bar served it in a paper bag!

1.92/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

3.25/5  rDev +45.1%

This will grow hair on your back. I was taken aback by the sweetness. Ice cold is the way to go with this. Not too boozy taste- this is deceiving. Very high ABV. Somewhat tasty, I must admit.

2.25/5  rDev +0.4%

3.56/5  rDev +58.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Trade got me a 40 of Silver Bull. Demo pour comes out a highly carbonated tannish dark yellow, half inch of foamy white head collapses to surface cling. Smell is apple, pear, a bit of cornbread. Comes in with less dryness than usual for the lowly malt liquor as a style, follows the smells with sweet booze without being a huge smack of such, very balanced. Doesn't feel as fizzy as it looks, just enough.

I think I have a new heavyweight champion in this category. Sucks I can't get it local, it'd be a regular easily.

3.35/5  rDev +49.6%

This Ice Malt Liquor is definitely a sipper. It makes my lips tingle and is hard on the throat. After every few swigs from a frost glass I need a sip of water to continue. Sometimes it makes me gag and I spit up a little. I prefer Hefenreffer and O.E. but with the ass kicking 8.2% it does have it's place. To get wrecked! Though it's very soothing and calming in the end...

I judge malt liquors on their taste and ability to get me a buzz in record time. Schlitz Bull Ice does it for me like no other. The taste is outstanding, and the buzz factor is off the scale. Steel Reserve and Olde English 800 are good when there is no Bull Ice available, but the Bull tramples all! I only wish I had access to Bull Ice 8% + here in Virginia like I had in Oklahoma.. No luck, though. Only 5.9%.

1.75/5  rDev -21.9%

I'm a Malt Liquor fan and this stuff sucks. I wanted to find the O.M.L but this is all they sell here. I always keep a few steel reserves in the fridge when I want a quick buzz over my usual PBR so I do drink 8.0 Swill regularly. This stuff is nasty it has one hell of an aftertaste. Just gross. Pretty sure once I finish the 40 I'll have a buzz but damn I should have just got 2 SR's and been 8 oz. to the better.

1.5/5  rDev -33%

I love malt liquors and was therefore very excited to get a hold of this since they don't have it in Texas (at least not that I've seen). All I can say is what an enormous disappointment. The taste was so incredibly stale. It was awful. It sort of tasted like Steel Reserve Triple Export, but WAY less fresh. It had a nauseating mild yeasty character that just did not accompany stale malt at all. It was like trying to drink the liquid form of an old wheat roll that's been sitting around for a very long time and is hard as a rock, but also has a little bit of mold growing on it somehow. It was so bad. It turned my stomach so much that I had to pour a decent portion down the drain. The amount I managed to get down got me buzzed, but at what cost?

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

1.75/5  rDev -21.9%

2.1/5  rDev -6.3%

A - Drank straight from the can so I have no clue.

S - Aluminum, Stale malt, grains, alcohol.

T - Aluminum, malt, grains, alcohol on the finish. Surprisingly not bad for a malt liquor of this strength .

M - Medium carbonation with a medium body.

O - Overall, It's a cheap malt liquor that doesn't taste like absolute garbage. After finishing the 240z can I had a happy buzz so in my book that's a plus since that's really the only purpose to malt liquor. I'll give it a 2.5 for that in this category. And remember some wise words, SCHLITZ GIVES YOU THE SHITS.

3.5/5  rDev +56.3%

2.5/5  rDev +11.6%

4.5/5  rDev +100.9%

1.5/5  rDev -33%

I said to myself this is either rotgut or very good, not surprised to say its more good than bad. One huge point you beer snobs keep bringing up is: its not hoppy... Look up MALT LIQUOR it has NO HOPS. It is kind of a scotch ale type of taste and very good for what it is. if you`re waiting for the rosy hop buzz it will never come(I like it too-but this was a change) and a trip back to the early 70`s when I drank the bull. All in all a good malt. Would I drink it every day? not a chance, but for a change it was very good in a sammy glass. One more thing-I`m writing as I`m drinking it and I will finish the 40oz I bought and see about the hangover factor tomorrow. This is somewhere between champale and the old ballatine triple and is 8.2% so its like I already said about scotch ale style. at this point I would say winner winner chicken dinner-but I will wait for the hangover mentioned earlier

Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)