Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

poor
awful
Read the review
Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States
schlitzgusto.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2002

3.56/5  rDev +58.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Trade got me a 40 of Silver Bull. Demo pour comes out a highly carbonated tannish dark yellow, half inch of foamy white head collapses to surface cling. Smell is apple, pear, a bit of cornbread. Comes in with less dryness than usual for the lowly malt liquor as a style, follows the smells with sweet booze without being a huge smack of such, very balanced. Doesn't feel as fizzy as it looks, just enough.

I think I have a new heavyweight champion in this category. Sucks I can't get it local, it'd be a regular easily.

3.35/5  rDev +49.6%

This Ice Malt Liquor is definitely a sipper. It makes my lips tingle and is hard on the throat. After every few swigs from a frost glass I need a sip of water to continue. Sometimes it makes me gag and I spit up a little. I prefer Hefenreffer and O.E. but with the ass kicking 8.2% it does have it's place. To get wrecked! Though it's very soothing and calming in the end...

I judge malt liquors on their taste and ability to get me a buzz in record time. Schlitz Bull Ice does it for me like no other. The taste is outstanding, and the buzz factor is off the scale. Steel Reserve and Olde English 800 are good when there is no Bull Ice available, but the Bull tramples all! I only wish I had access to Bull Ice 8% + here in Virginia like I had in Oklahoma.. No luck, though. Only 5.9%.

1.75/5  rDev -21.9%

I'm a Malt Liquor fan and this stuff sucks. I wanted to find the O.M.L but this is all they sell here. I always keep a few steel reserves in the fridge when I want a quick buzz over my usual PBR so I do drink 8.0 Swill regularly. This stuff is nasty it has one hell of an aftertaste. Just gross. Pretty sure once I finish the 40 I'll have a buzz but damn I should have just got 2 SR's and been 8 oz. to the better.

1.5/5  rDev -33%

I love malt liquors and was therefore very excited to get a hold of this since they don't have it in Texas (at least not that I've seen). All I can say is what an enormous disappointment. The taste was so incredibly stale. It was awful. It sort of tasted like Steel Reserve Triple Export, but WAY less fresh. It had a nauseating mild yeasty character that just did not accompany stale malt at all. It was like trying to drink the liquid form of an old wheat roll that's been sitting around for a very long time and is hard as a rock, but also has a little bit of mold growing on it somehow. It was so bad. It turned my stomach so much that I had to pour a decent portion down the drain. The amount I managed to get down got me buzzed, but at what cost?

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

1.75/5  rDev -21.9%

2.1/5  rDev -6.3%

A - Drank straight from the can so I have no clue.

S - Aluminum, Stale malt, grains, alcohol.

T - Aluminum, malt, grains, alcohol on the finish. Surprisingly not bad for a malt liquor of this strength .

M - Medium carbonation with a medium body.

O - Overall, It's a cheap malt liquor that doesn't taste like absolute garbage. After finishing the 240z can I had a happy buzz so in my book that's a plus since that's really the only purpose to malt liquor. I'll give it a 2.5 for that in this category. And remember some wise words, SCHLITZ GIVES YOU THE SHITS.

3.5/5  rDev +56.3%

2.5/5  rDev +11.6%

4.5/5  rDev +100.9%

1.5/5  rDev -33%

I said to myself this is either rotgut or very good, not surprised to say its more good than bad. One huge point you beer snobs keep bringing up is: its not hoppy... Look up MALT LIQUOR it has NO HOPS. It is kind of a scotch ale type of taste and very good for what it is. if you`re waiting for the rosy hop buzz it will never come(I like it too-but this was a change) and a trip back to the early 70`s when I drank the bull. All in all a good malt. Would I drink it every day? not a chance, but for a change it was very good in a sammy glass. One more thing-I`m writing as I`m drinking it and I will finish the 40oz I bought and see about the hangover factor tomorrow. This is somewhere between champale and the old ballatine triple and is 8.2% so its like I already said about scotch ale style. at this point I would say winner winner chicken dinner-but I will wait for the hangover mentioned earlier

2.53/5  rDev +12.9%

Screwtop 40, poured into a pint glass. Best by JUN042012.

Puffy white head of foam that lasts for a few minutes, it has a dimpled surface and leaves sudsy soapy lacing in the glass. Bright high clarity gold.

When the cap is cracked it had a pleasant smell of sweet apple, then later it's the usual wet grains husks and light minerality. Surprisingly clean with zero detectable alcohol in the aroma.

Taste is a little less refined, grainy and coarse, light apple sweetness. Alcohol is a bit more perceptible, but thankfully not too rough. There's some fruity esters, apple jacks, not much astringency, only slight. Fairly clean, which goes along way for malt liquor. Overall this is serviceable, not overly sweet, boozy, or full of off flavors. After a little while the alcohol is felt fairly quickly. For a malt liquor, this isn't too bad, though I wouldn't seek it out again. Edit: After the lingering next day hangover, definitely won't seek this out again.

3.26/5  rDev +45.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

APR3012 stamped on bottom of 24oz / 710mL can poured into a mug.

Appearance - Clear bronze body with a loose white head with low retention and tons of stick.

Smell - Musky corn. Horseblanket. Slightly solvent.

Taste - A bit bitter with some sweet corn up front, musky in the middle, with a relatively clean finish.

Mouthfeel - Light and with a bit of stickiness but mostly clean.

Overall Drinkability - Pretty decent for its style. Mostly clean all around, so that's a major plus for a style where you really don't want to taste or feel the harsh brewing byproduct.

1.53/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a nice looking golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy white head, very little sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy, ricy, with some skunk notes. The taste is kinda sweet, lots of grains, rice. Light/Medium Body. What the hell is going on with these macro brews, they suck. A waste of water and money.

3.63/5  rDev +62.1%

Schlitz IML has a thick, rather frothy white head and a clear, golden appearance. Lots of heavy lacing is left down the glass. The aroma is grainy (think corn), and the taste is bold, grainy, very sweet, and full. Some slight hop bitterness is also there (19.3 IBU). Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and the finish is chewy, dense, and harsh. Drinkability is not terribly high here; it’s a sipper. Overall, Schlitz Bull IML is a more complex beer than one would expect (it compares well to a helles dopple bock), and it’s bold character is compelling. I think you should try it.

RJT

Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)