Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

YOUR RATING = None |
awful
awful
Read the review
Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States | website

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2002

Reviews: 53 | Ratings: 72
2.33/5  rDev +4.5%

a- typical yellow malt liquor look, maybe a little darker than im used to. nice head for malt liquor with good duration and fair lacing.
s- smells corny with a hint of alcohol as expected
t- corn syrup, malt and a hint of alcohol warmth
m- pretty decent mouthfeel for a malt liquor, actually slightly oily if im not hallucinating
d- as far as malt liquor goes, this is one of the better ones ive had but i think i actually prefer the lighter feeling and tasting ones like king cobra because the reason we drink these is to get drunk and cobra's just a little easier to chug

3.22/5  rDev +44.4%

A= Fizzy and yellow just like a malt liquor should be. A thin white head rises up and falls fast to a thin ring around the glass.

S= Not nearly as much alcohol as I expected in the nose. Lots of corn in it and a slight sweetness.

T= Again not nearly as bad as I expected. There is a great corn sweetness to it and a little bit of alcohol.

M= Medium body to a little sticky.

D= Not as bad as I expected but still bad. I would drink it again if I wanted to get messed up.

1.83/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured from the 40 ouncer marked SEP1409-CO5110116. Sampled on August 16, 2009 (Minor update 8/12/11).

A - Your basic pale yellow with a fizzy white head that slowly bubbles down to a very thin one leaving thin lacing on the glass and a slow upward carbonation. It looked about right for its style.

S - The aroma is of malts, corn, and alcohol.

T/M - The mouthfeel has a texture that is better than water but not what I would classify as medium. Somewhere in between. The taste is retched although with some hops in the background. It leaves a sour unappealing aftertaste.

3.08/5  rDev +38.1%

Clear, light copper with big bubbles racing to the surface of a respectable rocky white foam head that melts into soft peaks and leaves blotchy lace behind. Sweet malt and grain alcohol make up the nose. This beer tastes like a malt liquor should, if you like the style..and I do, grits and sweet maltiness with just enough generic hop bitterness to balance perfectly. Alcohol warms the belly with each sip. Medium bodied with mild carbonation. Decent brew, if you like malt liquor.

2.79/5  rDev +25.1%

Pours a nice golden color with a two finger head into my glass.

Aroma is sweet and grainy with a good dose of alcohol in the nose.

Taste is grainy and sweet, nearly syrupy with a mild alcohol burn. Not as sweet as the V.S.L.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering sweetness from the adjuncts. However, its not as syrupy. Feels more normal in that area.

Not bad. More tolerable than the v.s.l. Not bad for the style. Not too impressive otherwise but you should try it anyway.

3.39/5  rDev +52%

From a 24 ounce aluminum can. Poured a nice copper color with little head. From Stroh Brewery Milwaukie, WI. (Owned by SAB Miller) Aroma is winey, sweet, malty.
Flavor on first sip vaguely reminds me of hard apple cider. There is a syrupy quality to this stuff and very sweet overall. I could actually taste a bit of hops but they are overwhelmed by the malts. The alcohol is fairly well hidden for the style. Amazingly easy drinking for a 8.2abv.
One of the better tasting M.L.s. Drink at your own risk.
11/4/2014. Had to update score for appearance. Huge dense white head. Lasts a good 10 minutes and leaves copious lacing.

1.18/5  rDev -47.1%

There are a couple beers that I've found in my fridge and I, honest to God, cannot recall how they ended up there. Schlitz Bull Ice has a reputation of being a notoriously bad malt liquor. I am kind of morbidly curious about these infamous offerings. I am admittedly biased, but I'll try to put it aside for now. So here goes...

The pour is not absolutely awful. The head recedes rapidly, and there's no lacing at all. The color is of concentrated pee. The smell is where things really start to go downhill. There's a lot of alcohol. That's pretty much it. Maybe a few echoes of malt in the background. The taste is what takes you to rock bottom. It's just simply terrible. I feel like the ghosts of dead fruit will be haunting my palate forever. It reminds me of the smell under a mango tree I found in Hawaii where all the fruit had fallen off and rotted. It's just a monkey of chaos, throwing feces all over the cage of my mouth.

Mouthfeel is who cares. Drinkability is no.

3.07/5  rDev +37.7%

It was 40 night at my house again. Cause them bitches can screw themselves. And bitter beer goes well with a bitter mood. Out of the giant bottle this beer was a clear, dark gold color with a skim of white head. The retention was weak and the lacing was pretty good. The aroma was semi-sweet and mildly sour like fermented apple cider mixed with corn mash. The flavors were similar, starting on a more dull and muted note it then got sweet in a candy-like (dextrose) way that was clearly being used to cover up the alcohol. Still, for 8.2% it was rather easy to drink. The carbonation was light, the body medium, the mouthfeel slick.

3.55/5  rDev +59.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 24 oz can into pint glass.

A - Pale, perfectly clear, yellowish gold. With a hard pour I get a full 2 fingers of head. Retention is short but not the worst I've seen on malt liquors. There is actually some slight lacing on the glass.

S - A blast of sweetness, with DMS, cereal grain, and a metallic, boozy aroma in the background.

T - Light notes of corn and sour apple early on. Sweetness kicks in but it's backed perfectly by an almost pleasant graininess. Grassy flavor kicks in late palate before leading into a moderate but not overbearing punch from the alcohol. Aftertaste is rough, with a bitter herb flavor and slight astringency, bringing the score down half a point.

M - Whoa! Great malt liquor mouthfeel on this one. Light to medium bodied with medium to high carbonation. Deceptively smooth while maintaining and appropriate crispness.

D - One of the better malt liquors I've run across, this might just give Steel Reserve a run for it's money. Though a bit of a "rarity" around here, Schlitz IML is a worthy competitor.

2.74/5  rDev +22.9%

Picked up a 40 oz of this Ghetto looking stuff at a gas station...thankfully that gas station isn't all that close to my house. I was actually sort of embarrassed to buy this since I just came from the gym and look pretty haggard in my sweat pants anyway. Oh well. Here goes nothing...

A - Deep gold with a two finger head that settles at a nice half-inch cap, and leaves a lot of foamy lace on the glass. This looks good enough to put lagers that cost three times as much to shame.

S - Thick corn flake and booze notes that remind me that yes, this is indeed mawt likkah. This is however, pretty much inoffensive and basic. No real off notes or anything....and that's about all you can ask for in a bum-bottle 4-0.

T - This has a lot of character. The flavor sort of reminds me of the water that you pour out of a can of corn, and there is a hint of dish soap, bit it honestly ain't half bad.

M - Big, bad, dirty, and boozy. This is a BIG beer. I can feel the alcohol in my gut and in my head, and I've only imbibed a 12 oz glass from the giant 40oz bottle. Good think I have the day off...this is a heavy hitter. If you want to enjoy beer, then this is not the thing for you, but if you want to catch a buzz for a buck and a half then this is your vehicle to paradise. 40 ounces to freedom!

D - This is head an shoulders above some other malt liquors, and I would take this over

2.82/5  rDev +26.5%

well, today i cashed in this months cans and bottles at the big liquor store on the other side of town. i wasnt sure i would get the $6.50 that i wanted so i could buy the local Growler i had my eye on, and i didnt. so i saw this 40 for 1.99 and decided to get it instead. i chose it not only for ecnomics, but because i had always heard that Schlitz was notoriously bad.

it sat in the fridge a few hours until now when i decided to pull it out. (thats what she said!)

The beer itself (seen easily through the clear glass 40 bottle,) seems darker than many other 40s like St ides and Steel reserve, which boast the same 8.2 ABV. the taste isn't as malty as those two either.

it smells pretty gross, though typical for this kind of beverage, i havnt even drank down to the top of the label and im already feeling woozy.

1.34/5  rDev -39.9%

I had this on Christmas Day as I had to stay in town for work, and when you're on a tight budget, anything goes.

Appearance was pretty basic: very yellow/dark yellow/pale in color and nothing to behold, but for $1.49 a 32oz, that doesn't matter.

Smell was really old and sour. This is probably the foulest smelling beer I've ever had, but as mentioned before that $1.49 on the bottle doesn't matter.

Taste - wow...this was bitter and carried a strong bite, but in the worst way possible. The only thing this stuff succeeds in is getting drunk at an incredibly rapid rate. In order to do that unfortunately, flavor must be sacrificed. Ugh!

Mouthfeel is nonexistant. It goes down quick, with a heavily bad aftertaste, seriously.

Drinkability is for those who who want to get really messed up with not that much money. Don't even waste time on this stuff.

1.25/5  rDev -43.9%

Ok, I saw this at a local liquor store and thought I'd try it. I'm not expecting much...

Woah. It turns out to be worse than I thought it could be. It doesn't look half bad in the glass but whilst hoisting said glass to my nose and mouth, I got a whiff of an atrocious smell of what? Stale corn? Chemically stale corn? Whatever it is, it put me off right from the get go.

Taste? I sure didn't have any when I decided to pick this up. Nasty semi sweet flavour of rotting grain? I kid you not, this absolutely sucks and is most assuredly a drain pour, I really can't imagine a market for it. "nuff said.

These were some of the greatest cans ever! Too bad the beer was horrible.

Pours the flat, urine-y looking color of most malt liquors. The smell and taste were perhaps less putrid than most, though still nothing to write home about. Mostly a rotten corn flavor/aroma permeated.

Avoid.

1.52/5  rDev -31.8%

A-clear gold straw color with thick foamy white head that retains well leaving behind lots of lacing to my suprise

S-like a funky hospital hallway(puke)masked by some nauseating aerosol floral air freshener

T-buttery popcorn,rotten creamed corn,skol vodka aftertaste(it's getting hard to stomache)

M-thin and bubbly way to much carbonation,but I think thats the last thing this beer needs to fix,it leaves a morning breath aftertaste(I'm brushing my teeth as soon as I am done,It's that bad!)

D-I enjoy some 40oz from time to time,but this could scare me from trying many more,I'll stick with OE 800 from now on!

1.53/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Right up there w/ Schlitz's Blue Bull in terms of cheapness (I use that term in regards to taste and impact on wallet), but will get you drunk quicker. The smell had this acidic, alkaline battery smell. Almost like this took off some of the metal from the vat they make it in (or they used paint thinner to clean them (old urban legend)). This is very light and watery w/ nothing to hide the hops that make up the ABV. I would avoid having more than one 40 of this. Then again, I would avoid this in general. At least the label isn't completey generic like the Blue Bull label from the other Schlitz Malt Liquor (this one has a brick wall).

1.19/5  rDev -46.6%

$1.99 for a 40 OZ. bottle of 8.2% alcohol beer. What the hell? I brought it home and filled my 1 liter Spaten Oktoberfest mug with it. It's a medium gold color with a huge bubble bath-like head. It smells pretty bad. Wet corn and malted hay and dirt. Some kind of awful chemical stink... it stinks like formaldehyde from disecting earthworms in middle school. Tastes like chewy sour bitter old sun-dried grass clippings. It's pretty terrible. Getting drunk cheaply is this beer's sole purpose. And that purpose it serves well, if that's your goal.

2.24/5  rDev +0.4%

Picked this up to hold up with a Mickey's and compare the malt liquors out there. 40oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Pretty much the same look as all the other malts, though a little darker than Micker's but has the same nuclear orange as Magnum and Cobra.

S: Odors of super sweet corn and the tiniest hints of malts with absolutly no hops to speak of, at least Steel Resever tried to pass hops off...anyways the smell is pretty bad and smell of sweet candied corn and fruits.

T/MF: Blech, way way way too sweet for my tastes, even for a malt liquor, tastes of sweet boiled creamed corn and cream of wheat with a super slick mouth feel and very sticky aftertaste, corniest of the malt liquors out there I guess.

D: Super cheap and super high in booze content without the burn of Ojo Malo so it is not that bad, but I'd prefer a Mickey's or a FFF.

1.58/5  rDev -29.1%

a: pale yellow, inch of frothy white head dissapears fast leaving no lace
s: very little malt or hop presence in the aroma deffinate alcohol presence in aroma
t: sweet start leads to high presence of alcohol in finish, very very dry feeling and a burning not pleasant
m: light bodied very carbonated

overall this is a really cheap beer, I think $1.95 for a 40oz, it also has a lot of alcohol in it. However out of the 40s ive had this isnt all that bad. Most of the time when buyig a 40, the intent is on getting drunk, this will atleast give you a good start. I dont recommend this unless that is your goal

3.28/5  rDev +47.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

this is a slightly better than average 40 oz. it looks slightly better, smells slightly better, tastes smoother, but in the end it's still $1.99 malt liquor. the taste is extremely cloying. i do notice more of a malt flavor than in other 40's. definitly smoother than most others i've tried. not bad, but definitly not something i'd want around all the time.

1.38/5  rDev -38.1%

40 oz. Bottle

AP: Pale gold, urine comes to mind. Seems active, decent 2" all white head is wavey and frothy.

Nose: Only mildly aromatic, mild malt, kinda wheaty, slight leafy hop.

Taste: This is where things go really bad... It starts off with a bitter (like chewing on tylenol bitter) malt thing happening, gets a slight wheat-like flavor then a chemical-like bitterness happens again. Ends with the classic sickly sweet "malt liqour" rancidness.

MF: It looks active but when it hits the palate it just sits there and dies...feels flat and thin.

DA: Be good to yourself my fellow BA's....save your tastebuds the grief...I wish I had.

Schlitz Bull Ice pours a light orange with a thick white head from a clear thirty two ounce bottle. Smells like corn, maybe a bit like corn husk. Tastes fairly bad even by malt liquor standards. I've had worse, but this isn't good by any stretch. Lots of alcohol noticeable in the taste. Metallic aftertaste. I'm sure the swill will be really bad. Spend your pocket change elsewhere.

1.7/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appears a yellow golden hue with a large white head which quickly dwindles revealing rather even lacing kinda weird to see that pour from this 24oz can of Schlitz Bull Ice. Aroma has a very sweet tone wtih corn and rice noticeable as the sugar sources along with evident almost grain alcohol notes doesn't hide the fact that it's 8.2% abv at all. Flavor comes off grainy with strong alcohol and corn and rice and a hint of fruitiness that is a bearable other than that I was bludgeoned with notes that I care not redescribe especially if you've tasted a high gravity malt liquor. Not palatable to me let's move on to the mouthfeel...light to medium bodied kinda coats the palate in the worst way artificial carbonation stays with me way too long. Drinkability... god knows especially not on anyone's deathbed please god not mine.

2.1/5  rDev -5.8%

Yes, it’s cheap, both in price and taste. On rare occasions I want a cheap, watery, domestic, so I’m reviewing them too to see what is my cheapo of choice. It won’t be this one, but it wasn’t quite as bad as I thought it would be. Looks like a typical cheapo. Clear, medium gold with a small, white, foamy, rapidly diminishing head. The trick is to drink this stuff VERY cold. When it warms up, the corn and alcohol really come out in the aroma with a vengeance. When very cold, it smells of grain and some light fruit… and with some husky corn scents. Taste-wise, a near freezing temperature still can’t cover up the wicked corn but the alcohol isn’t so noticeable. Once it warms up, the alcohol comes on strong and burning. Feels rather thick in the mouth, and not in a good way. Like I said, it wasn’t as bad as I expected, but it’s still nothing I’d ever drink again.

1.86/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

I tried this beer last night just for the hell of it. The grocery store in the town I was in didn't have much of a selection, so I decided to go for the cheap buzz. This beer poured a darkish, yellow color with no head at all. Not a good sign for what was to come. The smell was of corn and ethanol. Taste was barely tolerable. I tasted mainly adjuncts and alcohol, with some fruity ale-like notes. As the beer warmed up, the corn and rice flavors became more pronounced along with the boozy taste. I finished the 24oz can and went to bed. Maybe I should have picked up that lone 6-pack of Killians instead.

Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)