Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.
Liked This Beer
2.27 w/ 72 ratings
Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States

2.27/5
Alströms:

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
1.34/5  rDev -41%

I had this on Christmas Day as I had to stay in town for work, and when you're on a tight budget, anything goes.

Appearance was pretty basic: very yellow/dark yellow/pale in color and nothing to behold, but for $1.49 a 32oz, that doesn't matter.

Smell was really old and sour. This is probably the foulest smelling beer I've ever had, but as mentioned before that $1.49 on the bottle doesn't matter.

Taste - wow...this was bitter and carried a strong bite, but in the worst way possible. The only thing this stuff succeeds in is getting drunk at an incredibly rapid rate. In order to do that unfortunately, flavor must be sacrificed. Ugh!

Mouthfeel is nonexistant. It goes down quick, with a heavily bad aftertaste, seriously.

Drinkability is for those who who want to get really messed up with not that much money. Don't even waste time on this stuff.

1.25/5  rDev -44.9%

Ok, I saw this at a local liquor store and thought I'd try it. I'm not expecting much...

Woah. It turns out to be worse than I thought it could be. It doesn't look half bad in the glass but whilst hoisting said glass to my nose and mouth, I got a whiff of an atrocious smell of what? Stale corn? Chemically stale corn? Whatever it is, it put me off right from the get go.

Taste? I sure didn't have any when I decided to pick this up. Nasty semi sweet flavour of rotting grain? I kid you not, this absolutely sucks and is most assuredly a drain pour, I really can't imagine a market for it. "nuff said.

These were some of the greatest cans ever! Too bad the beer was horrible.

Pours the flat, urine-y looking color of most malt liquors. The smell and taste were perhaps less putrid than most, though still nothing to write home about. Mostly a rotten corn flavor/aroma permeated.

Avoid.

1.52/5  rDev -33%

A-clear gold straw color with thick foamy white head that retains well leaving behind lots of lacing to my suprise

S-like a funky hospital hallway(puke)masked by some nauseating aerosol floral air freshener

T-buttery popcorn,rotten creamed corn,skol vodka aftertaste(it's getting hard to stomache)

M-thin and bubbly way to much carbonation,but I think thats the last thing this beer needs to fix,it leaves a morning breath aftertaste(I'm brushing my teeth as soon as I am done,It's that bad!)

D-I enjoy some 40oz from time to time,but this could scare me from trying many more,I'll stick with OE 800 from now on!

1.53/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Right up there w/ Schlitz's Blue Bull in terms of cheapness (I use that term in regards to taste and impact on wallet), but will get you drunk quicker. The smell had this acidic, alkaline battery smell. Almost like this took off some of the metal from the vat they make it in (or they used paint thinner to clean them (old urban legend)). This is very light and watery w/ nothing to hide the hops that make up the ABV. I would avoid having more than one 40 of this. Then again, I would avoid this in general. At least the label isn't completey generic like the Blue Bull label from the other Schlitz Malt Liquor (this one has a brick wall).

1.19/5  rDev -47.6%

$1.99 for a 40 OZ. bottle of 8.2% alcohol beer. What the hell? I brought it home and filled my 1 liter Spaten Oktoberfest mug with it. It's a medium gold color with a huge bubble bath-like head. It smells pretty bad. Wet corn and malted hay and dirt. Some kind of awful chemical stink... it stinks like formaldehyde from disecting earthworms in middle school. Tastes like chewy sour bitter old sun-dried grass clippings. It's pretty terrible. Getting drunk cheaply is this beer's sole purpose. And that purpose it serves well, if that's your goal.

2.24/5  rDev -1.3%

Picked this up to hold up with a Mickey's and compare the malt liquors out there. 40oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Pretty much the same look as all the other malts, though a little darker than Micker's but has the same nuclear orange as Magnum and Cobra.

S: Odors of super sweet corn and the tiniest hints of malts with absolutly no hops to speak of, at least Steel Resever tried to pass hops off...anyways the smell is pretty bad and smell of sweet candied corn and fruits.

T/MF: Blech, way way way too sweet for my tastes, even for a malt liquor, tastes of sweet boiled creamed corn and cream of wheat with a super slick mouth feel and very sticky aftertaste, corniest of the malt liquors out there I guess.

D: Super cheap and super high in booze content without the burn of Ojo Malo so it is not that bad, but I'd prefer a Mickey's or a FFF.

1.58/5  rDev -30.4%

a: pale yellow, inch of frothy white head dissapears fast leaving no lace
s: very little malt or hop presence in the aroma deffinate alcohol presence in aroma
t: sweet start leads to high presence of alcohol in finish, very very dry feeling and a burning not pleasant
m: light bodied very carbonated

overall this is a really cheap beer, I think $1.95 for a 40oz, it also has a lot of alcohol in it. However out of the 40s ive had this isnt all that bad. Most of the time when buyig a 40, the intent is on getting drunk, this will atleast give you a good start. I dont recommend this unless that is your goal

3.28/5  rDev +44.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

this is a slightly better than average 40 oz. it looks slightly better, smells slightly better, tastes smoother, but in the end it's still $1.99 malt liquor. the taste is extremely cloying. i do notice more of a malt flavor than in other 40's. definitly smoother than most others i've tried. not bad, but definitly not something i'd want around all the time.

1.38/5  rDev -39.2%

40 oz. Bottle

AP: Pale gold, urine comes to mind. Seems active, decent 2" all white head is wavey and frothy.

Nose: Only mildly aromatic, mild malt, kinda wheaty, slight leafy hop.

Taste: This is where things go really bad... It starts off with a bitter (like chewing on tylenol bitter) malt thing happening, gets a slight wheat-like flavor then a chemical-like bitterness happens again. Ends with the classic sickly sweet "malt liqour" rancidness.

MF: It looks active but when it hits the palate it just sits there and dies...feels flat and thin.

DA: Be good to yourself my fellow BA's....save your tastebuds the grief...I wish I had.

Schlitz Bull Ice pours a light orange with a thick white head from a clear thirty two ounce bottle. Smells like corn, maybe a bit like corn husk. Tastes fairly bad even by malt liquor standards. I've had worse, but this isn't good by any stretch. Lots of alcohol noticeable in the taste. Metallic aftertaste. I'm sure the swill will be really bad. Spend your pocket change elsewhere.

1.7/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appears a yellow golden hue with a large white head which quickly dwindles revealing rather even lacing kinda weird to see that pour from this 24oz can of Schlitz Bull Ice. Aroma has a very sweet tone wtih corn and rice noticeable as the sugar sources along with evident almost grain alcohol notes doesn't hide the fact that it's 8.2% abv at all. Flavor comes off grainy with strong alcohol and corn and rice and a hint of fruitiness that is a bearable other than that I was bludgeoned with notes that I care not redescribe especially if you've tasted a high gravity malt liquor. Not palatable to me let's move on to the mouthfeel...light to medium bodied kinda coats the palate in the worst way artificial carbonation stays with me way too long. Drinkability... god knows especially not on anyone's deathbed please god not mine.

2.1/5  rDev -7.5%

Yes, it’s cheap, both in price and taste. On rare occasions I want a cheap, watery, domestic, so I’m reviewing them too to see what is my cheapo of choice. It won’t be this one, but it wasn’t quite as bad as I thought it would be. Looks like a typical cheapo. Clear, medium gold with a small, white, foamy, rapidly diminishing head. The trick is to drink this stuff VERY cold. When it warms up, the corn and alcohol really come out in the aroma with a vengeance. When very cold, it smells of grain and some light fruit… and with some husky corn scents. Taste-wise, a near freezing temperature still can’t cover up the wicked corn but the alcohol isn’t so noticeable. Once it warms up, the alcohol comes on strong and burning. Feels rather thick in the mouth, and not in a good way. Like I said, it wasn’t as bad as I expected, but it’s still nothing I’d ever drink again.

1.86/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

I tried this beer last night just for the hell of it. The grocery store in the town I was in didn't have much of a selection, so I decided to go for the cheap buzz. This beer poured a darkish, yellow color with no head at all. Not a good sign for what was to come. The smell was of corn and ethanol. Taste was barely tolerable. I tasted mainly adjuncts and alcohol, with some fruity ale-like notes. As the beer warmed up, the corn and rice flavors became more pronounced along with the boozy taste. I finished the 24oz can and went to bed. Maybe I should have picked up that lone 6-pack of Killians instead.

1.35/5  rDev -40.5%

Yeah its bad, but it could be a lot worse.

Looks like one would expect: burnt urine with a white "head" that disappears quickly.

Smell: Whoa! Hello corn and his good buddy alcohol.

Tastes like...well strong, cheap malt liquor. If adjuncts and alcohol are what you like to taste in your beer and nothing else, then this one's for you. The abundance of carbonation dulls your pain in the end.

Not drinkable at all.

I used to swill this junk in college. Decided to try a "blast from the past" tonight and all I can say is thank God I have a good job and can afford to drink craft beers. Job security and benefits are nice, but its even nicer that I don't have to drink this crap anymore.

1.46/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Poured into a big 24 oz. mug in 2 waves of beer. Looked to be a dark yellow color, with a good sized fluffy white head. Smell was heavy on the skunked adjuncts, I would've guessed that this is a product of Iowa, based on all of the corn in it. Taste was absolutley foul. Cloyingly sweet, with skunk that made me shudder after every sip. Alcohol was also extremely present. This is not a good tasting substance, but after only one bottle i was feeling pretty warm on a cold Minnesota night.

1.13/5  rDev -50.2%

This is a horrific beer; from the smell of rubbing alcohol to the metallic graininess I could only put down a few swallows. Painful to drink … the alcohol stings every time you take a sip and it covers up any beer flavour that may be there. This beer gives 40s a bad name.

1.55/5  rDev -31.7%

Ok my recent foray into the underworld of cheap ( and nasty) beers continues with this. Ugliest looking can I ever did see..ugly looking Ox with a prison wall as background..just who are they trying to impress? LOL
Appearance is dark yellow with a large white head that goes very fast leaving nowt!
Smell is somewhat floral..in an artificial room freshener way..weird
Taste is just some really cheap malt sweetness follwed by barely concealed alcohol..and not nice alcohol taste either.
Yucky and clingy on the tongue.
Not drinkable for me..Im happy I get paid on Wednesday..so I can buy some at least average beers to drink...I hate to think I would have to drink stuff like this all the time!

2.98/5  rDev +31.3%

Wow, not bad. This is somewhat similar to Colt 45, but with a far higher alcohol content and a much more malty flavor. Another welcome suprise was the fact that for being 8.2% alcohol, it lacks that strong booze flavor. Strong overtones of corn and malt dominate this brew, with an almost creamy mouthfeel. I'm not a malt liquor fan by any means, but this stuff is really quite good. For those of you who favor lagers and ales, this may be up your alley. Worth a try.

2.66/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A clear yellow-gold body is capped by a good-sized head of creamy white foam that holds exceptionally well and initially leaves some very nice rings of lace about the glass (not that too many fans of this beer are drinking it from glasses). It delivers some mildly sweet malt in the nose (which is nice), a clear note of alcohol, and some low-key fruitiness. At times it can smell like a cheap white wine. And there's also a low background vegetal note. It's not offensive, however, and may actually lend some additional character to the aroma! In the mouth it's full and creamy with a gentle caress on the tongue before sliding away as smooth as velvet. It's so full in fact, that it sticks about the mouth (and I had to rinse my mouth out with water throughout the tasting to try to look for any nuances that might be there). In the flavor, the lightly sweet malt (which is obviously adjunct-laden as there's little graininess to it) combines with the alcohol to balance it out (rather than bitterness). The subtle fruitiness that's there tries to compete with the alcohol but never really comes through as more than a background note. In fact, the alcohol is surprisingly strong desipte the fact that it's only 8.2% by volume (the initial fermentation must be quite warm for a lager yeast strain). It finishes with an initial note of sweet malt that slowly erodes amongst increasing, drying alcohol. It's certainly not the best malt liquor, but it's not the worst I've tasted. I certainly prefer this more malty "Ice" version to the Red Bull!

1.36/5  rDev -40.1%

This is a rough malt liquor. Granted, it will get you good and drunk for little cash, but I'll take St. Ides High Gravity over this any day. Beside the ill-hidden alcohol, the ice brewing leaves its signature disgusting taste. I don't expect much from malt liquors, but this still doesn't live up to those low expectations.

3.13/5  rDev +37.9%

Very surprised when I tried this, very good for a large brewery. Good carbonation and head, very smooth and with a 40oz bottle you should share or take your time - the 8.2% ABV has a kick and its only $1.49.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Beer rating: 6.9% out of 100 with 72 ratings