Schlitz High Gravity V.S.L Very Smooth Lager | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz High Gravity V.S.L Very Smooth LagerSchlitz High Gravity V.S.L Very Smooth Lager
2.7/5

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States
schlitzgusto.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2008

1.07/5  rDev -60.4%

1.09/5  rDev -59.6%

24oz can with the bull. Poured as quickly as possible, four fingers of foamy head. Medium to light straw colored body.
Smells like a dank sock left in the bottom of the gym bag for a week or three.
Taste = Sweet and gross.
Sticky texture, low carbonation.
One drink and done. Drain gets the rest. Wow, truly the worst beer I have ever had.

1.26/5  rDev -53.3%

Very faint aroma of corn. Has the same golden color typical of mass American lagers. Pours a thick white head that sticks around a while. Sweet and dry with a surprisingly absent alcohol tinge. Slick but not bad on the palate. Finishes sweet, crisp, and bitter. At first I thought it was awful. By the end of the can I thought it was pretty tolerable. I suppose that's a testament to the 8.5% abv. Nothing special here, folks. Just another cheap drunk.

1.41/5  rDev -47.8%

24 oz can. Pours straw with tall, foamy, white head and nice lacing. Smells like fermented apple juice and hints of grassy hops. Body is full and smooth. Taste is alcohol, fermented juice and peppery hops. Finish is long, dried by alcohol. Nice drain opener.

1.44/5  rDev -46.7%

24oz can into a plastic hotel cup.

A: Clear pale yellow with a finger of coarse white foam that shows poor retention but actually leaves some nice lace. A bit better than I'd expect for a malt liquor.

S: Alcohol, corn, and more alcohol. Pretty gross, but what can you expect.

T: Incredibly boozy and unspeakably rancid, this is quite possibly the worst tasting beer I've ever had. Way worse than any 40 I drank in college, worse than Icehouse. Nasty. Vile. Horrific. Undrinkable.

M: I hate to hold this in my mouth long enough to assess the feel, and when I do it's not worth the effort - slick, oily, and filled with coarse, stinging carbonation.

D: I drank this on a rugby trip while trying to get a buzz, and even for that purpose found it unbearably awful. I wound up pouring out at least three quarters of the can.

Notes: For future reference, while malt liquor undoubtedly gives a good $:ABV ratio, it's never worth it. I bought this can on a whim for $.99 at a gas station, and it was an experiment that will never be repeated.

Cheers!

1.45/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

V.S.L. ...lager em yeah will see. I bought this down in some ramshackle liquor store on Kings Hwy in Myrtle Beach. Love real Schlitz, love the Schlitz Bull logo, but the last "blue bull"I had, I remember being a little ill the next day.

Aroma clean, faint, as the head clears, it becomes quite mettalic. The head fades, take a nice sip...oh my, I dont even know. Sweet, slightly rancid malt. I dont even want to think what Sunday mornin comin down would feel like on this stuff. Im done.

1.5/5  rDev -44.4%

Dense two finger head, quickly fading, but leaving a broken and clinging lace. Color is a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is a muted odor of wet and musty cereal grains. Taste is that of wet malt, and cereal grains, very unpleasing to my palate. Mouthfeel is poor, there is a bit of tingle from the carbonation, but it is sticky and dry on the top of my mouth and soft palate. I will make just about every excuse to not drink this again, unless I am really drunk.

1.53/5  rDev -43.3%

A- nice color obviously it's going to be crystal clear. Lots of fizz and foam. S- sort of sicky sweet. Like that real shitty moonshine you can still get here in East TN. T- way to sweet and a little medicine like. Grainy. Gets a little less mediciney and more grainy as it warms up a bit. Strainge rancid apple and pear notes. No hops what so ever. Could use a little bitterness M- Heavy and syrpy at first. Thins out a little as it warms. The foam does little to dry it out. D- Too heavy to swill but gets much more pleasent after you've half drained it. Not pleasent so much as tolerable with the buzz you've recently aquired. Not worth the buzz. You get just as drunk off two big cans of high life and it's not nearly as toxic.

1.75/5  rDev -35.2%

1.8/5  rDev -33.3%

Billed as a high gravity lager which means high alcohol content with very little attention to flavor or anything else.
The appearance is a light gold with a head that quickly dies.
The smell consists of rice, alcohol and not much else.
The taste is stringent, no hops and slightly burns.
The mouth feel is heavy with a decent amount of carbonation.
Overall this is a good example of a drink that is created for the alcohol. The flavor, smell and mouth feel are all sub par but the alcohol is the main reason to drink this "beer".

1.82/5  rDev -32.6%

Beer tastes horrible but gets you drunk.

1.88/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

I drink this beer often. Looks fine and pours well without much head. Smells terrible with a strong alcohol smell. Tastes like it smells a little malt a little hops and a whole lot like you could imagine hairspray would taste like if you had added it to a beer. Overall its my go to when I have little money and want something strong.

1.91/5  rDev -29.3%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Stop #2 on the Swill Tour 2010 (the others worked on a Shiner Bock before this one). It pours a clear urine topped by a finger of white froth. The nose is crappy wheat covered up by the most saccharine corn syrup smell that has yet to grace my 'strils. The hell? The taste is, well, nasty. Even low expectations have been dashed by the pain of being so very, very right about something being so very, very wrong. It's...it's just terrible. I don't know what to say. The sweetness is sadly dulled (that's right, I said sadly), and some brassy corn husk is left to beat my 'buds' faces in, Norris-style. My nipples are hard just drinking this horribility. The lickuh is palpable. The body is heavier than it should be, with a sharply moderate carbonation and a brutal finish. Man, the more I drink this, the more I want to lick my own armpit to rid my tongue of the taste. Overall, no. Don't do this to yourself. Please.

1.94/5  rDev -28.1%

Very smooth. Yes, if you compare the "smoothness" to sandpaper. Let's cut to the chase and say what it is: a cheap buzz, that is all this stuff is good for, if you can get past the taste. Pours out bright yellow, has a smell of fonky socks and some sour apple cider. Tastes very boozy and corn like, but hey, it will get you a buzz for cheap, and it is 8.5 ABV!

1.94/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured into a Paulaner mug

A - Your typical crystal clear straw golden yellow color. Nice fluffy head that eventually dies down leaving chunks of lacing. Little fine bubbles at the bottom.

S - Pretty much what's expected. A very strong wet hay smell with that warm and sour body odor type smell that's typical of these lagers.

T - Well well...Upfront is water which then becomes a light bitter boozy alcohol taste. The finish is a strong bready cracker like taste.

M - Light bodied. Not quite watery but it's light.

D - The smell is so harsh, it makes each sip so hard to bare. But who am I kidding here? It's a poor man's liquor.

1.95/5  rDev -27.8%

24oz can poured into a Sam Adams pint glass.

A: Pours a pale and clear straw color with a one inch pure white soda like head that bubbles away into a cap in a few minutes, very nice amount of carbonation bubbling up from the bottom of the glass but does nothing to keep the head supported. Doesn't look that bad for a malt liquor. Above average for the style.

S: Metallic corn with the tiniest bit of green apple, just bleh, at least smell sweet for me malt liquor, this just smells like antiseptic and metal.

T/MF: Corn apple and metal that is about the jist of it, mouthfeel is lively enough to keep things from becoming disgusting.

D: Can't feel the booziness in this beer but it is still drinkable for a malt liquor but really close to being not tolerable. Steel Reserve is much better choice.

2.02/5  rDev -25.2%

Served in a pint glass

This is entry #3 in Swill Fest 2010

This pours a very pale straw color. The rice and corn sugars are very prominent in the smell. There is a savior smell in the fact that maybe if there are hops in it, there is an orange/mango smell to the back, and only very faint. The taste is actually not as bad upfront as I would have expected, but that doesn't make it pleasant. The liquor taste is akin to a terrible Sake. It isn't horrid and appalling. Wait...I take that back. This is progressively harder to drink as I go along. Making me wish that hadn't just said those things. The mouthfeel is syrupy and unpleasant...very smooth my ass! This is currently giving all of us indigestion. This is horrid and I can't in good conscience recommend this to anyone not doing this to harm themselves.

Schlitz High Gravity V.S.L Very Smooth Lager from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)