Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Schlitz High Gravity V.S.L Very Smooth Lager | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
Schlitz High Gravity V.S.L Very Smooth LagerSchlitz High Gravity V.S.L Very Smooth Lager

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States | website

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2008

2.7

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 65 | Ratings: 98
1.94/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured into a Paulaner mug

A - Your typical crystal clear straw golden yellow color. Nice fluffy head that eventually dies down leaving chunks of lacing. Little fine bubbles at the bottom.

S - Pretty much what's expected. A very strong wet hay smell with that warm and sour body odor type smell that's typical of these lagers.

T - Well well...Upfront is water which then becomes a light bitter boozy alcohol taste. The finish is a strong bready cracker like taste.

M - Light bodied. Not quite watery but it's light.

D - The smell is so harsh, it makes each sip so hard to bare. But who am I kidding here? It's a poor man's liquor.

3.83/5  rDev +41.9%

Poured from the 24 oz can into my Bud "bowtie" glass. Very transparent golden color. Thick 2 inch head, down to a one inch, and quickly to a cm of small bubbles.

Surprisingly, this one doesn't smell strongly alcoholic (even for being the most alcoholic of the "bulls")

Tastes very sweet, has cereal notes and not much else. Surprisingly little to no aftertaste.

Very drinkable, considering the high gravity of 8.5% (for a macro lager). I would still stick with the "blue bull" for a session brew however.

1.91/5  rDev -29.3%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Stop #2 on the Swill Tour 2010 (the others worked on a Shiner Bock before this one). It pours a clear urine topped by a finger of white froth. The nose is crappy wheat covered up by the most saccharine corn syrup smell that has yet to grace my 'strils. The hell? The taste is, well, nasty. Even low expectations have been dashed by the pain of being so very, very right about something being so very, very wrong. It's...it's just terrible. I don't know what to say. The sweetness is sadly dulled (that's right, I said sadly), and some brassy corn husk is left to beat my 'buds' faces in, Norris-style. My nipples are hard just drinking this horribility. The lickuh is palpable. The body is heavier than it should be, with a sharply moderate carbonation and a brutal finish. Man, the more I drink this, the more I want to lick my own armpit to rid my tongue of the taste. Overall, no. Don't do this to yourself. Please.

2.02/5  rDev -25.2%

Served in a pint glass

This is entry #3 in Swill Fest 2010

This pours a very pale straw color. The rice and corn sugars are very prominent in the smell. There is a savior smell in the fact that maybe if there are hops in it, there is an orange/mango smell to the back, and only very faint. The taste is actually not as bad upfront as I would have expected, but that doesn't make it pleasant. The liquor taste is akin to a terrible Sake. It isn't horrid and appalling. Wait...I take that back. This is progressively harder to drink as I go along. Making me wish that hadn't just said those things. The mouthfeel is syrupy and unpleasant...very smooth my ass! This is currently giving all of us indigestion. This is horrid and I can't in good conscience recommend this to anyone not doing this to harm themselves.

3.58/5  rDev +32.6%

40 ounce Thursday, Schlitz Very Smooth Lager night. Excellent. Beer poured from a can into a stein, hey why not.

Beer is yellow and clear with moderate carbonation and big white head of small and medium bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Head has some staying power. Looks really good actually.

Aroma is mild and semisweet. Its smells OK.

Beer is medium in body, minimal carbonation in the mouth. For such a high alcohol, its not sweet at all. Its nice and pilsner malty not dry. Pretty good actually. I think this is a pretty good beer.

1.53/5  rDev -43.3%

A- nice color obviously it's going to be crystal clear. Lots of fizz and foam. S- sort of sicky sweet. Like that real shitty moonshine you can still get here in East TN. T- way to sweet and a little medicine like. Grainy. Gets a little less mediciney and more grainy as it warms up a bit. Strainge rancid apple and pear notes. No hops what so ever. Could use a little bitterness M- Heavy and syrpy at first. Thins out a little as it warms. The foam does little to dry it out. D- Too heavy to swill but gets much more pleasent after you've half drained it. Not pleasent so much as tolerable with the buzz you've recently aquired. Not worth the buzz. You get just as drunk off two big cans of high life and it's not nearly as toxic.

1.44/5  rDev -46.7%

24oz can into a plastic hotel cup.

A: Clear pale yellow with a finger of coarse white foam that shows poor retention but actually leaves some nice lace. A bit better than I'd expect for a malt liquor.

S: Alcohol, corn, and more alcohol. Pretty gross, but what can you expect.

T: Incredibly boozy and unspeakably rancid, this is quite possibly the worst tasting beer I've ever had. Way worse than any 40 I drank in college, worse than Icehouse. Nasty. Vile. Horrific. Undrinkable.

M: I hate to hold this in my mouth long enough to assess the feel, and when I do it's not worth the effort - slick, oily, and filled with coarse, stinging carbonation.

D: I drank this on a rugby trip while trying to get a buzz, and even for that purpose found it unbearably awful. I wound up pouring out at least three quarters of the can.

Notes: For future reference, while malt liquor undoubtedly gives a good $:ABV ratio, it's never worth it. I bought this can on a whim for $.99 at a gas station, and it was an experiment that will never be repeated.

Cheers!

1.8/5  rDev -33.3%

Billed as a high gravity lager which means high alcohol content with very little attention to flavor or anything else.
The appearance is a light gold with a head that quickly dies.
The smell consists of rice, alcohol and not much else.
The taste is stringent, no hops and slightly burns.
The mouth feel is heavy with a decent amount of carbonation.
Overall this is a good example of a drink that is created for the alcohol. The flavor, smell and mouth feel are all sub par but the alcohol is the main reason to drink this "beer".

3.06/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is primarily of malts. Taste is malts, alcohol is making it's presence felt as well.. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall it's not terrible, but nothing special either.

3.82/5  rDev +41.5%

A- Straw yellow. I never liked this category...who cares what it looks like?

S- ALCOHOL...this is a malt liquor and a whiff will tell you so.

T- Amazingly smooth given the alcohol content.

M- Ice cold it is excellent. Do not let it warm up or it will bring the scwaggy taste of rubbing alcohol.

D- I usually finish off a night of heavy drinking with this beer. The taste is good given the alcohol level and this is usually a good "finish". Also...this stuff is CHEAP.

3.6/5  rDev +33.3%

On a last minute stop at the corner market I spied a can of this stuff. I'll admit that I was drawn in by some feelings of nostalgia, but also the wording on the can [extra smooth lager] got me curious enough to try it.
This 24 oz can cost $1.50
I drank it straight from the can.
There was the expected "alky whiff", that goes with the territory.
This stuff IS SMOOTH! The taste is unmistakable, you are drinking malt likka here bro....but what we have here is very drinkable for a ML.
I like all beer that doesn't bite me back and one can of this produced a nice buzz with no ill effects.
I'm very

satisfied with it and would drink it again.

1.26/5  rDev -53.3%

Very faint aroma of corn. Has the same golden color typical of mass American lagers. Pours a thick white head that sticks around a while. Sweet and dry with a surprisingly absent alcohol tinge. Slick but not bad on the palate. Finishes sweet, crisp, and bitter. At first I thought it was awful. By the end of the can I thought it was pretty tolerable. I suppose that's a testament to the 8.5% abv. Nothing special here, folks. Just another cheap drunk.

2.35/5  rDev -13%

24 oz. of the golden bull, oh yeah. Pours a light golden color with perfect clarity and a small white head that fades to nothingness in very few seconds.

Sweet maltiness with a hefty dose of alcohol is about all I get in the nose on this one. Pretty clean and fresh smelling malt liquor.

This one will get you drunk in a hurry. The sharp, rough alcohol is readily apparent and is only masked by some light grainy malts and carbonation. I do not detect any bitterness from hops, but the heavy alcohol dries out the finish enough to not taste sweet. I would much rather tame the blue bull than this golden beast...V.S.L. my ass! There is nothing smooth about it. Highly unlikely I will be buying this one again.

2.7/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer was served cold in a pint glass. The beer was consumed rapidly and not allowed to warm in the slightest.

Appearance: The beer pours a light yellow coloration. The head was bone white and resolved quickly. Active carbonation dances in the glass.

Smell: The beer smells like corn cereal. The alcohol was well hidden in the aroma.

Taste: Sweetened corn cereal leads the flavor. Loads of classic malt liquor alcohol booze flavors. Suprisingly no off flavors noted in the beers flavor.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is on the lighter side of medium. Active carbonation helps to break the sweetness up. Lots of raw boozey alcohol present in the mouthfeel. Not anything to brag about here. This is straight up non gag inducing malt liquor buzz beer.

3.11/5  rDev +15.2%

24oz can courtesy of Ryan's Ghetto Fab BIF. Appropriately served in a large, fake-diamond encrusted Pimp Cup.

Not a bad pour, quite the opposite, actually. Crystal clear golden pale color with a massive tuft of spittle-white foam. Good retention, although the splotches of lacing are easily outshined by the capitalized, glitzy 'PIMP' letters on my cup. Aroma is mostly corn and cereal grains, with a faint hint of herbal hops and some pale crystal malt. A whiff of fusels in the background.

Per style, the flavor is above average with a frosted cereal sweetness and some pale malts. Hops are slight, floral, and drowned out by corn and sugary fusels. The booze isn't overwhelming, though, but it does add a metal twang to the finish that, with the alcohol, warms all the way down. Soapy, bubbly mouthfeel with a medium-light body. Not sure if it's the adjuncts or the plastic from the inside of the Pimp Cup, but I can feel a headache coming on from this beer. Oh well...down the hatch!!!

3.1/5  rDev +14.8%

The Bull has gone Gold! CAN you believe it?!? He looks almost statuesque on the CAN.

The finger of bone-white head that resulted from my pour quickly dissipated into wisps. Nose was sweet but not pungent like Schlitz Malt Liquor O.M.L. (Blue). Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was medium with a lightly sweet, but fusel, taste on the tongue. Finish was mostly smooth except on the extreme finish when I caught a slight alcohol burn. V. S.? Too smooth for its ABV. I may need to lay down after this.

2.31/5  rDev -14.4%

Ah yes, good ol' Schlitz has one upped themselves again! As if the classic Blue Bull or Red Bull wasn't enough, they went ahead and produced an ice and this very fine product I am about to partake in now!

The color of this fine brew is light yellow with a foamy white head that goes away very quickly. The nose is semi sweet with hints of alcohol.

The taste starts off sweet with some light malt flavor which is quickly overpowered by a metallic taste.

Light mouthfeel and actually pretty smooth, alot of malt liquors can be pretty aggressive to the taste buds, this one isn't too bad.

Nothing I'm gonna keep my fridge stocked up with, but if I'm trying to get hammered for cheap and not impress anyone, I'll drink it again. I would much prefer to have this in a 40 oz. bottle.

2.28/5  rDev -15.6%

Can't buy this in VT so I thought I'd give it a try since I can and do enjoy a proper malt liquor from time to time.

Pours a nice golden-yellow color with a two finger head into my pint glass.

Aroma is sweet and grainy in the nose with adjuncts dominating here.

Taste is sweet and grainy upfront with a strong alcohol bite.

Alcohol is syrupy and lingers highly. Sweet. Definitely a typical high gravity lager.

Not impressive by much but its ok to try at least once.

3.08/5  rDev +14.1%

pours out of the 24 oz. can a bright straw yellow colour with a rather thick and creamy snow white head that sticks and is supported by some active carbonation. there is even some lace to be had, making for a nice looking beer. a bit of corn and a slight banana smell greets the nose. not a bad smell, but followed by a hint of fusel. upon tasting, the grainy and corny nature of this brew makes itself known...it's a bit fruity, too...somewhat like white grapes...it has some blonde bock attributes and no real alcohol burn although it's very warming on the way down and one can feel it in the belly after only a few sips. it has a touch of bitterness that is noticeable and quite welcome because with it, this would border on cloyingly sweet. overall...just enough non-offensive flavour to almost be enjoyable. definitely full bodied with an incredible creamy mouthfeel that allows it to be "very smooth". drinkability is good for a higher gravity offering such as this, and this one stands out as a shining example in which that an upper ABV high gravity doesn't have to be a wretchedly horrible, undrinkable, awful tasting, fusel, boozy mess.

on the other hand, this is brewed to deliver alcohol into the system as quickly and painlessly as possible. to it's credit, it does a fine job of doing so.

3.74/5  rDev +38.5%

Honey golden with a fat creamy off white head that leaves splotches of lace on the glass. Smells of grits, cereal grain and the faintest suggestion of cluster hops. Tastes of toasted grain and sweet malt with some decent bitterness to balance. Warmingly alcoholic in the finish. Lighter bodied for the style and nicely carbonated. Suprisingly easy to drink, great beer to wash down some wings or barbecue. A fine example of the style.

2.44/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance has a light golden color with a healthy crisp head. Smell and taste is corny, ricey and alchoholic with a sweet bitter bite. mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. A fun one to try from a 24 oz. can, but one I wouldn't go back to any time soon.
Note to self: don't try to pick up any chics with this one, it hits too hard to fast.

2.83/5  rDev +4.8%

Yep, that's right. Couldn't pass up this 8.5% beauty. Hard to get a higher ABV in my neck of the woods. How bad can it be?

Well, the counter wench dropped it as she was putting it into my bag because she was real busy with a phone call. I think that's what caused this huge head I'm looking at. Big white and fluffy. If not for the 'someone didn't flush in the middle of the night' color, I might think I had a decent brew.

Smell is of faint metallic grain. Thankfully not strong enough to be disgusting, but not pleasing at all.

Y'know, this doesn't taste half bad. Actually the aftertaste is a little on the nasty side, but the initial flavor is decent. Hard to put my finger on it; corny malty, slightly boozy, grainy. Not delicious, but I won't need to pour any out.

Says Very Smooth Lager right on the can and it definitely approaches smooth. I'm not a big fan of the style but this has to be one of the smoothest there is.

Good bang for the buck too. I would get this again if the proper alignment of low funds, poor selection, and time crunch presents itself.

Overall: I don't hate it

2.93/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a 24 oz can into a 20 oz Imperial pint glass.

Appearance: A careless pour resulted in a one finger fizzy white head that didn't stick around, and didn't leave any lacing behind. Light yellow color with moderate carbonation.

Smell: Sweet, with a slight banana smell. Not very much there.

Taste: No real "off" flavors, just very sweet with a hint of carbonation and only the slightest bitterness on the finish. I'd say it's worth every penny of the $1.29 that I paid for it, but I'll also say that you get what you pay for. It's actually not bad.

Mouthfeel: Not sharp carbonation as I was expecting before I poured it. Smooth.

Drinkability: It is drinkable, and I could see having one of these while I'm out barbecuing, saving the better, heavier beers for the meal.

2.85/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer poured yellow with a small head and a ton of visible carbonation. The smell is sweet corn adjunct. The taste is surprisingly smooth, just some sweet corn with a little alcohol heat in the back. The mouthfeel has enough carbonation to be crisp. A very drinkable beer that excels at getting you from zero to drunk in a short amount of time. It's not exactly tasty, but it's also not as bad as I expected.

3.42/5  rDev +26.7%

Poured from a 24 ounce can into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: A hard pour gave me a decent snow-white head. Golden yellow with light carbonation. The head retention is fairly decent for the style and it has ok lacing.

Smell: Sweet and corny. No "off" smells, it's just like a heartier adjunct lager.

Taste: Rich and sweet. ABV is really hidden. This beer is really surprising me. I didn't think a malt liquor could be this good. Not that it's really anything great, but for this style it is.

Mouthfeel: It lives up to it's title as a "Very Smooth Lager". Almost creamy.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Schlitz High Gravity V.S.L Very Smooth Lager from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)