Schlitz High Gravity V.S.L Very Smooth Lager | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz High Gravity V.S.L Very Smooth LagerSchlitz High Gravity V.S.L Very Smooth Lager

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States
schlitzgusto.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2008

2.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Who needs sleeping pills when 8+% "smooth" lagers are readily available?

Clear, golden and lively on the pour with crazy carbonation. Good looking can graphics by the way...

Typical nose of grain and ethanol although both were muted..or is my schnozz just defective?

Taste was smooth, somewhat sweet grain with a mild wash of alcohol on the finish..not an offensive beer by any means. Fairly thin mouthfeel that is somewhat boosted by the strong carbonation.

Really not a bad choice when you need to settle down and don't want to open that lovely Ommegang that waits patiently in the fridge for a worthy night.

3.1/5  rDev +15.2%

From the 710 ml. can marked: APR0212-E07020447. Sampled on November 30, 2011. Poured into a Heileman's Old Style pint glass...well why not? It is a highly agitated, carbonated pale yellow to off-gold with a goodly amount of fizzy head. The aroma is of corn and sweet malts with a crisp hop drop. It does not smell high in alcohol. The body is a little better than light but not quite medium. The taste has that bitter malt liquor taste but a bit more palatable than other malt liquors out there. An almost clean aftertaste. I said "almost" because there is a rather biting lingering effect. I rated this by style not by its craft.

2.31/5  rDev -14.1%

24 oz tallboy to a tulip pint glass

Appearance is straw, highly effervescent little bubbles with a decent 1 finger head which stays around the edge for the whole beer. Smells like hay, alcohol, and corn. Sweet and nostril burning. Taste is Tangy like grape fruit drenched in honey, almost no hops whatsoever mainly because they're run out by the high alcohol content. I also agree with emerge077
that it's like cheap champagne (not to be confused with MHL the champagne of beers). Sticks to the mouth in probably the most unpleasant way like drinking (not rinsing with) a glass of mouth wash, finishes with an alcohol tingle and perhaps stale beer funk like what i used to smell in my grandfathers basement. Overall, definitely not good. However not the worst high gravity I've had, decent if i was still in college and looking for a cheap pre-gamer buzz before a kegger or a night at the bar.

3.21/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours a crystal clear deep straw bordering on golden color with a good two finger bubbly white head that shows some decent staying power and lace. Yup looks like a macro lager all right. Smells of sweet grainy malt with faint wisps of creamed corn and alcohol. Smells a little better than I thought it would. Taste is kind of what I expected, sweet grainy malts with maybe a hint of cherry or apricot. Really! Bitter alcohol burn into the finish. Lots and lots of bubbles, medium body with a sweet slick mouthfeel. Honestly if they put some hops in here it wouldn't be half bad. As is this serves its purpose, a cheap quick drunk. I do enjoy purchasing 24 oz of 8.5% beer for $1.69, if only today's craft brewers could bring us that level of value for our money.

2.11/5  rDev -21.6%

Big 24oz. can into a fluted pilsner glass. AUG0811

Pale straw gold, sharp clarity. Super fine suspended micro-sediment visible when inspected closely in the light. Fizzy head that dwindles to a threaded ring of tiny bubbles at the edge of the glass. Rising soda carbonation on the second pour, with the remnant of the can shaken and poured, it generates some (artificial) lasting foam on top, and even a little lacing.

Sweet grape and papery aroma. An odd, mildly sulfuric smell that is jarring at first, with a little whiff of alcohol in there too.

Grape juice and bad champagne, astringent fusel bite, stale wet grain and soggy manila folders. Apple jacks cereal and envelope glue. Aftertaste nearly induces the gag reflex, it's like chewing on a pencil soaked in rubbing alcohol.

Fizzy soda-like carbonation scrubs the palate, but it doesn't relieve the insidious taste, instead staging a baleful destruction of said palate's tastebuds. You know how your mouth feels after licking a dozen envelopes? It's like that.

A crescendo of foulness as it warms, potentially culminating into vomiting and passing out, or vise versa. There are better ways to anesthetize the mind... though I guess they don't get any cheaper than this.

2.51/5  rDev -6.7%

Aroma is actually better than I expected - nothing to write home about, as the old cliche goes, but rather nice. It is strong, fruity - mainly apple - and malty, better than what I expected from a beer of this type. It pours a rather uninspiring clear wan yellow with a rather typical white head. Flavor is not too shabby, though - stronger and fuller than I expected, malty and fruity with a bit of a nip. It’s actually a little enjoyable! Texture is smooth and just a bit fizzy, no big shakes, but better than most industrial swill I have had. OK if there isn’t much else to drink.

2.11/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured out of a 24 oz. can into a beer stein. What head it had disappeared within seconds leaving absolutely nothing. The colour was surprisingly light. It looks like a light beer. It's light yellowish gold. The smell is that of sweet metal. That's it. I was afraid to taste it, but was relieved when I did. It tasted much better than the smell. I'd even say it tastes better than all the high gravity lagers I've had other than OE HG800. It has a bitter taste that tastes lightly of metal. It really is quite smooth. Some alchol burn, but not until the aftertaste. It's somewhat sweet, but not cloyingly so. The nauseating bit is the taste of the actual malt. It's pretty bad. Within the category of malt liquor, this stuff's pretty bad. However, I think that modern "high gravity lagers" should not be considered in the same category. It's a totally different style and within that style, there are worse things for sure (ahem, Steel Reserve).

2.61/5  rDev -3%

Hmmm...what to say about this. It was bought at a gas station. I had no idea what it was when I saw it. I bought it because I was in the geto-curious mode. I drove home thinking it would taste like leprous piss. I was pleasantly surprised when I did not vomit upon swallowing. It had a very sweet corn-adjunct taste and not much alcohol. They hid the before taste very well and the aftertaste was near non-existent. I may buy it agian when in the geto-curious mode.

2.03/5  rDev -24.5%

Boy does this one bring back some memories. How can anyone forget a name like Schlitz. This brew was a high octane attempt from a low end brewery. Yellow in color, white head rather fluffy that fades quickly. The can design was probably the best part of this brew. I drank it with a meal just to help with the drinking process.

3.58/5  rDev +33.1%

Presentation: It was poured from a 24oz can into a big mug. The can has the abv (8.5%) and a freshness date of "JUL1111" printed on the bottom.

Appearance: The body had a light yellow color with very good clarity. This was a lighter than I was expecting but not out of place. On top the tall three finger head of bright white foam settles down to thin cap which actually hangs on well. Lacing is minimal and very slick.

Smell: It is fairly light with pale cereal grain, grassy hay like hops and minimal sweet corn/vegetable notes.

Taste/Palate: The flavor matches the aroma exactly with a fairly dry finish and offers it up in a light-medium body with smooth but lively carbonation.

Notes: It's surprisingly light and drinkable.

1.5/5  rDev -44.2%

Dense two finger head, quickly fading, but leaving a broken and clinging lace. Color is a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is a muted odor of wet and musty cereal grains. Taste is that of wet malt, and cereal grains, very unpleasing to my palate. Mouthfeel is poor, there is a bit of tingle from the carbonation, but it is sticky and dry on the top of my mouth and soft palate. I will make just about every excuse to not drink this again, unless I am really drunk.

1.94/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured into a Paulaner mug

A - Your typical crystal clear straw golden yellow color. Nice fluffy head that eventually dies down leaving chunks of lacing. Little fine bubbles at the bottom.

S - Pretty much what's expected. A very strong wet hay smell with that warm and sour body odor type smell that's typical of these lagers.

T - Well well...Upfront is water which then becomes a light bitter boozy alcohol taste. The finish is a strong bready cracker like taste.

M - Light bodied. Not quite watery but it's light.

D - The smell is so harsh, it makes each sip so hard to bare. But who am I kidding here? It's a poor man's liquor.

3.83/5  rDev +42.4%

Poured from the 24 oz can into my Bud "bowtie" glass. Very transparent golden color. Thick 2 inch head, down to a one inch, and quickly to a cm of small bubbles.

Surprisingly, this one doesn't smell strongly alcoholic (even for being the most alcoholic of the "bulls")

Tastes very sweet, has cereal notes and not much else. Surprisingly little to no aftertaste.

Very drinkable, considering the high gravity of 8.5% (for a macro lager). I would still stick with the "blue bull" for a session brew however.

1.91/5  rDev -29%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Stop #2 on the Swill Tour 2010 (the others worked on a Shiner Bock before this one). It pours a clear urine topped by a finger of white froth. The nose is crappy wheat covered up by the most saccharine corn syrup smell that has yet to grace my 'strils. The hell? The taste is, well, nasty. Even low expectations have been dashed by the pain of being so very, very right about something being so very, very wrong. It's...it's just terrible. I don't know what to say. The sweetness is sadly dulled (that's right, I said sadly), and some brassy corn husk is left to beat my 'buds' faces in, Norris-style. My nipples are hard just drinking this horribility. The lickuh is palpable. The body is heavier than it should be, with a sharply moderate carbonation and a brutal finish. Man, the more I drink this, the more I want to lick my own armpit to rid my tongue of the taste. Overall, no. Don't do this to yourself. Please.

2.02/5  rDev -24.9%

Served in a pint glass

This is entry #3 in Swill Fest 2010

This pours a very pale straw color. The rice and corn sugars are very prominent in the smell. There is a savior smell in the fact that maybe if there are hops in it, there is an orange/mango smell to the back, and only very faint. The taste is actually not as bad upfront as I would have expected, but that doesn't make it pleasant. The liquor taste is akin to a terrible Sake. It isn't horrid and appalling. Wait...I take that back. This is progressively harder to drink as I go along. Making me wish that hadn't just said those things. The mouthfeel is syrupy and unpleasant...very smooth my ass! This is currently giving all of us indigestion. This is horrid and I can't in good conscience recommend this to anyone not doing this to harm themselves.

3.58/5  rDev +33.1%

40 ounce Thursday, Schlitz Very Smooth Lager night. Excellent. Beer poured from a can into a stein, hey why not.

Beer is yellow and clear with moderate carbonation and big white head of small and medium bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Head has some staying power. Looks really good actually.

Aroma is mild and semisweet. Its smells OK.

Beer is medium in body, minimal carbonation in the mouth. For such a high alcohol, its not sweet at all. Its nice and pilsner malty not dry. Pretty good actually. I think this is a pretty good beer.

1.53/5  rDev -43.1%

A- nice color obviously it's going to be crystal clear. Lots of fizz and foam. S- sort of sicky sweet. Like that real shitty moonshine you can still get here in East TN. T- way to sweet and a little medicine like. Grainy. Gets a little less mediciney and more grainy as it warms up a bit. Strainge rancid apple and pear notes. No hops what so ever. Could use a little bitterness M- Heavy and syrpy at first. Thins out a little as it warms. The foam does little to dry it out. D- Too heavy to swill but gets much more pleasent after you've half drained it. Not pleasent so much as tolerable with the buzz you've recently aquired. Not worth the buzz. You get just as drunk off two big cans of high life and it's not nearly as toxic.

1.44/5  rDev -46.5%

24oz can into a plastic hotel cup.

A: Clear pale yellow with a finger of coarse white foam that shows poor retention but actually leaves some nice lace. A bit better than I'd expect for a malt liquor.

S: Alcohol, corn, and more alcohol. Pretty gross, but what can you expect.

T: Incredibly boozy and unspeakably rancid, this is quite possibly the worst tasting beer I've ever had. Way worse than any 40 I drank in college, worse than Icehouse. Nasty. Vile. Horrific. Undrinkable.

M: I hate to hold this in my mouth long enough to assess the feel, and when I do it's not worth the effort - slick, oily, and filled with coarse, stinging carbonation.

D: I drank this on a rugby trip while trying to get a buzz, and even for that purpose found it unbearably awful. I wound up pouring out at least three quarters of the can.

Notes: For future reference, while malt liquor undoubtedly gives a good $:ABV ratio, it's never worth it. I bought this can on a whim for $.99 at a gas station, and it was an experiment that will never be repeated.

Cheers!

1.8/5  rDev -33.1%

Billed as a high gravity lager which means high alcohol content with very little attention to flavor or anything else.
The appearance is a light gold with a head that quickly dies.
The smell consists of rice, alcohol and not much else.
The taste is stringent, no hops and slightly burns.
The mouth feel is heavy with a decent amount of carbonation.
Overall this is a good example of a drink that is created for the alcohol. The flavor, smell and mouth feel are all sub par but the alcohol is the main reason to drink this "beer".

3.06/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is primarily of malts. Taste is malts, alcohol is making it's presence felt as well.. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall it's not terrible, but nothing special either.

3.82/5  rDev +42%

A- Straw yellow. I never liked this category...who cares what it looks like?

S- ALCOHOL...this is a malt liquor and a whiff will tell you so.

T- Amazingly smooth given the alcohol content.

M- Ice cold it is excellent. Do not let it warm up or it will bring the scwaggy taste of rubbing alcohol.

D- I usually finish off a night of heavy drinking with this beer. The taste is good given the alcohol level and this is usually a good "finish". Also...this stuff is CHEAP.

3.6/5  rDev +33.8%

On a last minute stop at the corner market I spied a can of this stuff. I'll admit that I was drawn in by some feelings of nostalgia, but also the wording on the can [extra smooth lager] got me curious enough to try it.
This 24 oz can cost $1.50
I drank it straight from the can.
There was the expected "alky whiff", that goes with the territory.
This stuff IS SMOOTH! The taste is unmistakable, you are drinking malt likka here bro....but what we have here is very drinkable for a ML.
I like all beer that doesn't bite me back and one can of this produced a nice buzz with no ill effects.
I'm very

satisfied with it and would drink it again.

1.26/5  rDev -53.2%

Very faint aroma of corn. Has the same golden color typical of mass American lagers. Pours a thick white head that sticks around a while. Sweet and dry with a surprisingly absent alcohol tinge. Slick but not bad on the palate. Finishes sweet, crisp, and bitter. At first I thought it was awful. By the end of the can I thought it was pretty tolerable. I suppose that's a testament to the 8.5% abv. Nothing special here, folks. Just another cheap drunk.

2.35/5  rDev -12.6%

24 oz. of the golden bull, oh yeah. Pours a light golden color with perfect clarity and a small white head that fades to nothingness in very few seconds.

Sweet maltiness with a hefty dose of alcohol is about all I get in the nose on this one. Pretty clean and fresh smelling malt liquor.

This one will get you drunk in a hurry. The sharp, rough alcohol is readily apparent and is only masked by some light grainy malts and carbonation. I do not detect any bitterness from hops, but the heavy alcohol dries out the finish enough to not taste sweet. I would much rather tame the blue bull than this golden beast...V.S.L. my ass! There is nothing smooth about it. Highly unlikely I will be buying this one again.

2.7/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer was served cold in a pint glass. The beer was consumed rapidly and not allowed to warm in the slightest.

Appearance: The beer pours a light yellow coloration. The head was bone white and resolved quickly. Active carbonation dances in the glass.

Smell: The beer smells like corn cereal. The alcohol was well hidden in the aroma.

Taste: Sweetened corn cereal leads the flavor. Loads of classic malt liquor alcohol booze flavors. Suprisingly no off flavors noted in the beers flavor.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is on the lighter side of medium. Active carbonation helps to break the sweetness up. Lots of raw boozey alcohol present in the mouthfeel. Not anything to brag about here. This is straight up non gag inducing malt liquor buzz beer.

Schlitz High Gravity V.S.L Very Smooth Lager from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)