Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

"Classic 1960's Formula" Schlitz Gusto reintroduced in 2008. 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft.

Original Schlitz in 12 oz. cans and draft:

Added by Pauly2X on 08-13-2008

Reviews: 266 | Ratings: 499
2.35/5  rDev -34.4%

This is about the WORST beer, I've easily had. WOW - I can't believe that people think this beer is legit. It's not - it's TERRIBLE. 81 BA score???? HAHAHAHAH!!!! That's beyond absurd! More proof their rankings are WAY WAY off.....

3.59/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is my go-to yellow fizz water. It's a great summer beer to enjoy while mowing the lawn or at the lake fishing. It's not the best beer in the world, but it has it's niche. There isn't much to the smell; typical adjunct lager, maybe some sweet corn. Taste is sweet with a decent amount of hop flavor finished with a good bitterness. This beer has more hop flavor than most adjunct lagers. Mouthfeel is medium-light, decent carbonation and very drinkable.

I like this beer a lot. Good stuff!

3.24/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a darker golden hued color with a half finger of foam.

Toasted malt, biscuits, corn, and the slightest hop aroma.

Biscuity toasted malt sweetness and a grainy corn flavor.

Light-bodied, high carbonation.

Overall, a very crushable beer.

4.26/5  rDev +19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer used to be all over a couple years ago, and it was a good alternative to Heineken, Stella Artois and the other "premium" macrobrews. I started looking for it with the warm weather coming and it has disappeared, and now that I have found it, ITS IN CANS?!?!?!? I only ever saw it in bottles previously. I preferred it in a bottle, but out of a can its ok. Way better than any of the other macrobrews, and a great low alcohol alternative to macrobrews. If I could find it in bottles it would be my new summer beer.

3.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This along with Michelob, which is usually more money, are right at the top of the macro-swill heap. Cheerful bright gold with white head that dissipates fast. Sweet and inviting aroma. Lively texture. A marvellous balance of malt and adjunct sweetness, with the faintest whisper of hop, all drawing to an unmistakable and characteristic cornbread finish. A time machine in a bottle. Now getting a bit scarce, there's only one place I know that still sells the 12-packs; other places either don't bother or only have a few 6-packs. If you see it, try it before the curtains are drawn for the final time.

This is my go to all day beer. I love this stuff. I grew up drinking it back in the '60s. When I saw it in the liquor stores again, I naturally bought a 12 pack to try it. OMG! it tasted exactly like I remembered. Like a long lost friend. I've tried a lot of different beers over the years, and I still do. With so many micro breweries out there you just can't help but try them. But I still keep coming back to Schlitz, and then I wonder why I wasted my time and money trying something else...

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Straw yellow appearance, easy clarity, white head disappears quickly. Aroma was canned corn and some alcohol, something industrial, metallic.

Straightforward AAL taste and mouthfeel. Nothing off, relatively enjoyable for what it is. Highly carbonated, nothing heavy.

I love my Schlitz hockey jersey.

3.68/5  rDev +2.8%

Warsteiner Pilsner is my regular but this is my alternative when I am feeling nostalgic or want to mix things up. A really good borderline fruity flavor and treats me decent for a 12 pack session. A little more of a morning after affect than Warsteiner but not too bad. Usually pour the tall boy cans into a Pilsner glass.

I am not at all a beer snob but find this more satisfying than any other regular American beer. Official beer of my 1969 World Champion Kansas City Chiefs, and becoming of that honor!

1.41/5  rDev -60.6%

Harkens me back to Christmastime 2009. Straw color, head was minimal. Taste was of creamed corn and cereal, hell why not just make it corn flakes. Smell was of strong corn and cereal. My uncle told me to never bring this again. My grandfather liked it.

2.73/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not as impressed as some of the other reviewers seem to be, and this is coming from someone who actually enjoys adjunct lagers. It's standard AAL so of course there's nothing wrong with it, but I just don't really think it stands out at all. I'd choose it over a PBR any day, but compared to Narragansett or even High Life, I'd probably not pick it.

3.23/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Possibly one of the best crappy American adjunct macrobrew lagers out there. Light, easy to drink, no offensive skunky odors of urine or corn water and...it actually has a bit of a hop profile! That's right, drinking this one up against Bud, Miller, PBR, even Yuengling and Sam Adams, this one has the most developed, interesting flavor of them all due to a friendly, tasteful dose of hops. Nothing overwhelming, just a hint of pine, a little bitter, a little flowery, just enough to let you know that it's the top pauper beer in town. If it's cheap enough, this is my go-to "lawnmower beer." And it comes in a tall-boy.

4.74/5  rDev +32.4%

In my opinion, this is THE best tasting American adjunct lager that I've come across. (and I've had my share of "lawnmower" beers).

Full bodied for an AAL with a touch of hops. Unlike many of the lackluster and flavorless lagers in this category, Schlitz rises to the top and really shines.

If you're into drinking cheap old school American lagers, do yourself a favor and try this one. I think you'll enjoy it. That is, if you can find it.

3.89/5  rDev +8.7%

Better than the beer that they were brewing before they tried to re-create the 1960's formula. It's not as heavy as the previous version. It goes down very smooth and has a high drink-ability. The bottles have a retro look to them.

4.57/5  rDev +27.7%

This really is a great tasting AAL, for people who like that light tasting type of beer. I just like beer, so I haven't really tasted many beers I don't like, but that's just me.

This is a little darker than most other AAL's I've had, and definitely has a bit more of a bite of hop and taste of barley than the vast majority of AAL's I've had. Why in the world did Schlitz ever change this formula? It was an act that literally killed the brewery.

If you like classic American lager, give this a try. If you like beer, you'll probably love this one.

3.17/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - Minus the carbonation, the color could pass for pee. I do not mean this in a mean spirited way. The beer is the color of pee with a white head on top.

Smell - The nose fits a general grain profile of the style. Corn is noticeable.

Taste - There is really little that stands out about this beer. Again, there is a general grain profile, with little standing out. The taste fades quickly into a bubblegum-like sweetness.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation allows the taste to fade quickly. The level of carbonation is on par with the average soda.

Overall - I have had the #1 American Adjunct Lager (60's formula). It is not as offensive as some might suggest.

3.86/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

as far as macro-lagers out on the market, this one just might be my favorite. It goes down really damn easy, and is highly refreshing. I didn't get much head at all on the beer, so a slight downgrade for that - but it fermented out clean, with the taste of barley malt instead of rice or corn.

If you need to crush a beer in the garage after working in the yard, this one would fit the bill!

3.18/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This and PBR are the best American Lagers put out by the Macro Brewers. Not great beer, but better than BMC. Easy to drink, not bitter at all and light bodied. If you are looking to get drunk and want something easy to drink this and PBR are the best.

2.87/5  rDev -19.8%

Not overly offensive this pours, smells and tastes like the common adjunct lager. It has a decent amount barley graininess with some rice like malts. The tinny after taste is tempered and the bubblegum-like sweetness, that I find common in the style, is present but soft.

3.16/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

ahead of its peers, but this is a style thats hard to pay much attention too. its cool they brought back an original recipe, and i agree with others that its far less offensive than some other domestic macros, but again, not something i ever really care to drink again. a little more grainy in malt composition than others, less adjuncty ans metallic and sweet than many others, so i like it on those grounds, but it is a little oxidized in the bottle, stale almost, and the hops are almost entirely absent. refreshing enough though with a light body and fine carbonation. i would choose this one over a lot of others in its category, but if i never see one of these again, im not going to be broken up about it. a nod to history, always cool, but the beer remains woefully pedestrian.

4.55/5  rDev +27.1%

You couldn't ask much more out of a beer in this style, and that is why I rated it so highly. I believe it is the best in class. I drink a lot of craft beer, but sometimes I just want a classic lager. Something that my grandfather would have drank. This reminds me of the first sip of beer I ever had. It is head and shoulders above Bud, Miller, and the rest of the competition. This and Yeungling are right at the top for the style.

3.34/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Like this as much as Yuengling maybe more. Of the AAL group this is my favorite.
S-Nose is some tartness and slight corn as expected
T-Not offensive at all with a little hop character and slight achohol with little corn taste.

3.69/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My favorite AAL, it beats Bud/Miller/Coors hands down. Light but tasty malt flavor, and unlike its competitors it has a noticeable hop presence. It makes you wonder why they ever changed he recipe in the first place. At a current local price of around 9 bucks/12 pack, it's the best option for someone on a budget. (Note: $9 is probably more than people pay for Schlitz in other areas. Hi-Life and PBR cost the same. For some reason, cheap beer is more expensive in New Orleans while craft beer is priced pretty reasonably.)

Best american domestic I have ever had. Good price. A great choice when you want a regular beer. This is not my favorite style, but this I think is a best in class. Had it in bottles, looking for cans by the case.

4.56/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Look: like any other beer of its type except initially it actually has a nice big head but dissipates extremely fast

Smell: at first much better than expected can actually smell some hops

Taste: holy shit it tastes like a beer! Especially the first sips with the head. Hop presence is perceptible! First taste was almost like a pale ale

Feel: like water, you could drink this shit all day

overall: I gave this such a high rating based on a comparison of other beers of its type. At $7 and change for a 12 pack I was expecting this to be a garbage beer. I was shocked at the first taste of this beer. Best adjunct lager I've ever tasted.

Pours out to a creamy head that laces well. Light gold color. Aroma is bready grains and a touch of hop spice. Flavor is surprisingly smooth and clean with vinous notes and a clean crisp finish. Mouthfeel is light and tingly. Very good. Wow.

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)