Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

"Classic 1960's Formula" Schlitz Gusto reintroduced in 2008. 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft.

Original Schlitz in 12 oz. cans and draft:

Added by Pauly2X on 08-13-2008

Reviews: 265 | Ratings: 498
Reviews by BearsOnAcid:
3.76/5  rDev +5%

How do you know you've gone too far as a beer geek?

You are reviewing Shlitz at a bar during trivia on a Monday night.

This was in a can so I can't give it a proper appearance rating. I looked inside and I would say it's black.

Smelled like your normal pale American lager. Classic bread-like malt aroma.

Very light flavor of noble hops. Some sweet malt. Crisp lager finish. Refreshing, watery, spritzy, and tall. This is a go-to for trivia night. $3 a can. I prefer it a little more to High Life or something like that. There's a little more flavor. But I can still pound these all night and rock it out with the woo! dudes like a boss.

4.55/5  rDev +27.1%

You couldn't ask much more out of a beer in this style, and that is why I rated it so highly. I believe it is the best in class. I drink a lot of craft beer, but sometimes I just want a classic lager. Something that my grandfather would have drank. This reminds me of the first sip of beer I ever had. It is head and shoulders above Bud, Miller, and the rest of the competition. This and Yeungling are right at the top for the style.

3.86/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

as far as macro-lagers out on the market, this one just might be my favorite. It goes down really damn easy, and is highly refreshing. I didn't get much head at all on the beer, so a slight downgrade for that - but it fermented out clean, with the taste of barley malt instead of rice or corn.

If you need to crush a beer in the garage after working in the yard, this one would fit the bill!

4.56/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Look: like any other beer of its type except initially it actually has a nice big head but dissipates extremely fast

Smell: at first much better than expected can actually smell some hops

Taste: holy shit it tastes like a beer! Especially the first sips with the head. Hop presence is perceptible! First taste was almost like a pale ale

Feel: like water, you could drink this shit all day

overall: I gave this such a high rating based on a comparison of other beers of its type. At $7 and change for a 12 pack I was expecting this to be a garbage beer. I was shocked at the first taste of this beer. Best adjunct lager I've ever tasted.

4.79/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Quite Simply THE Single Best American Mass Produced Macro Lager There Is...Bar None~smooth,zesty hop spice,easy drinking,wonderful Brew,Full Flavored...Amazing Beer!
I am not going to go on and on about it's merits...however if you can find this awesome Nectar of the Gods...TRY IT! WOW! What a GR8 Brew~best of the American Macro Brews hands down,cheers ;)

4.2/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Large foamy head. Retention is very good. Frothy. Sticks around. Moderate lacing. Clear light golden body. Tiny but active carbonation bubbles.

Mild corn and malt. Pleasant. Not harsh. Very mild hops.

Good malt and corn body. Perfect balance between being sweet and dry. Detectable, mild hop background. One of the best adjunct lagers.

Somewhere between light and medium bodied. Perfect carbonation. Satisfying.

Old school American lager beer done right. This is one of the best corn adjunct beers out there. It has character. Very drinkable. Clean and not harsh. Balanced malt sweetness, mild corn dryness, and mild floral and bitter hop backbone. I see why this was the best selling beer in America for a long time.

3.69/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My favorite AAL, it beats Bud/Miller/Coors hands down. Light but tasty malt flavor, and unlike its competitors it has a noticeable hop presence. It makes you wonder why they ever changed he recipe in the first place. At a current local price of around 9 bucks/12 pack, it's the best option for someone on a budget. (Note: $9 is probably more than people pay for Schlitz in other areas. Hi-Life and PBR cost the same. For some reason, cheap beer is more expensive in New Orleans while craft beer is priced pretty reasonably.)

King of BEER take WAY FROM bUD call it SHLITZ . iT TASTE LIKE A germany beer. I bought a six pack of tall ball for little over six pack. Best american lager out there!

Appearance- Nice,carbonation on this beer.

Smell- iT IS THE MOST refreshing beer out there.

Taste- A corn, very light hop, bread, spice, and honey. It is very well balance which makes it a great beer. The finish is ver clean and full. Can drank it all day long!

Mouthfeel-It is very clean. The mouthful is best!

Overall-This is is 5. I have drank the standard american lagers Bud , (High Life, PBR, Red Stripe) and this is the best of t hem all . I will take this over any craft beers s any day.This will s a true staple beer. .

This is my go to all day beer. I love this stuff. I grew up drinking it back in the '60s. When I saw it in the liquor stores again, I naturally bought a 12 pack to try it. OMG! it tasted exactly like I remembered. Like a long lost friend. I've tried a lot of different beers over the years, and I still do. With so many micro breweries out there you just can't help but try them. But I still keep coming back to Schlitz, and then I wonder why I wasted my time and money trying something else...

3.59/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is my go-to yellow fizz water. It's a great summer beer to enjoy while mowing the lawn or at the lake fishing. It's not the best beer in the world, but it has it's niche. There isn't much to the smell; typical adjunct lager, maybe some sweet corn. Taste is sweet with a decent amount of hop flavor finished with a good bitterness. This beer has more hop flavor than most adjunct lagers. Mouthfeel is medium-light, decent carbonation and very drinkable.

I like this beer a lot. Good stuff!

4.57/5  rDev +27.7%

This really is a great tasting AAL, for people who like that light tasting type of beer. I just like beer, so I haven't really tasted many beers I don't like, but that's just me.

This is a little darker than most other AAL's I've had, and definitely has a bit more of a bite of hop and taste of barley than the vast majority of AAL's I've had. Why in the world did Schlitz ever change this formula? It was an act that literally killed the brewery.

If you like classic American lager, give this a try. If you like beer, you'll probably love this one.

3.23/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Possibly one of the best crappy American adjunct macrobrew lagers out there. Light, easy to drink, no offensive skunky odors of urine or corn water and...it actually has a bit of a hop profile! That's right, drinking this one up against Bud, Miller, PBR, even Yuengling and Sam Adams, this one has the most developed, interesting flavor of them all due to a friendly, tasteful dose of hops. Nothing overwhelming, just a hint of pine, a little bitter, a little flowery, just enough to let you know that it's the top pauper beer in town. If it's cheap enough, this is my go-to "lawnmower beer." And it comes in a tall-boy.

Best american domestic I have ever had. Good price. A great choice when you want a regular beer. This is not my favorite style, but this I think is a best in class. Had it in bottles, looking for cans by the case.

4.74/5  rDev +32.4%

In my opinion, this is THE best tasting American adjunct lager that I've come across. (and I've had my share of "lawnmower" beers).

Full bodied for an AAL with a touch of hops. Unlike many of the lackluster and flavorless lagers in this category, Schlitz rises to the top and really shines.

If you're into drinking cheap old school American lagers, do yourself a favor and try this one. I think you'll enjoy it. That is, if you can find it.

3.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This along with Michelob, which is usually more money, are right at the top of the macro-swill heap. Cheerful bright gold with white head that dissipates fast. Sweet and inviting aroma. Lively texture. A marvellous balance of malt and adjunct sweetness, with the faintest whisper of hop, all drawing to an unmistakable and characteristic cornbread finish. A time machine in a bottle. Now getting a bit scarce, there's only one place I know that still sells the 12-packs; other places either don't bother or only have a few 6-packs. If you see it, try it before the curtains are drawn for the final time.

3.1/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured a clear, light yellow with no head. Probably not even meant to be drank from a glass... Aroma of pilsner malts, light hops and a champagne note. Light bodied mouthfeel that is sweet with crisp carbonation and subtle hop aftertaste. Just the kiss of the hops as the commercials used to say. Very good drinkability with not much flavor. I wouldn't stock my fridge at home with this, but wouldn't turn it down if offered to me from someone else's.

3.73/5  rDev +4.2%

A - a little darker than most mass produced lagers

S - Pick up a little floral and citrus

T - Smoother, deeper and more complex than you would expect. The hops add a nice unexpected flavor. A nice touch of sweetness at the end.

M - light to medium body

O - It's not a half bad beer! A lot more taste than most of its big competitors (and cheaper).

This beer works on any hot day inwhich you want a cheap decent beer. At $5.99/six pack it's pretty solid.

3.55/5  rDev -0.8%

My father rarely drank beer, but when he did it was good ole Schlitz, in the era before poptab cans. And, he poured salt in it. No salt goes in with my pour but Schlitz has a clear yellow body with a small white head. Retention is poor and lacing consists of only a few speckles. Aroma is unremarkable, somewhat of an attribute for the style. Toasted grain and a hint of herbal/spicy hops. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp, light bodied and well carbonated. Taste is clean and even. Toasted grain with a mild sweetness that is nicely balanced by a subtle herbal hop bitterness. Some barley and a hint of corn underneath. No offnotes. Simple but well done, this one leaves the other macro lagers in the dust. Very clean and sessionable.

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

3.76/5  rDev +5%

Keep in mind I rate this as a macro. Bell's beer it is not but considering what it is I must say I like it.

Pleasant head thicker than most macros and some lacing. Deeper than normal yellow color.

Nothing stands out in the way of smell but certainly not offensive. Slight malt.

Malt is present in the taste as well as the hops. The hops flavor presents the slightest floral notes. Perhaps a faint bread flavor in there as well.

I don't find this beer to be thin at all. Good carbonation. Not overly dry. Pleasing mouthfeel.

In my opinion the best lawn mower beer I've found to date. No everyday lager from BMC this well made. However at $6.50 a six pack I will probably fall back to PBR. It's not as good but it's good enough and priced right.

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Picked up a six of this because I was very curious about the "1960's" formula. Split the pack with a friend.

Appearance- Pretty standard for an adjunct lager. Usual straw golden like many others that I've encountered with a two finger quick dying white head. Pretty average but nothing really to knock it about.

Smell- Surprised. A touch of hay and mown grass show through. Not a lot of the usual sharp metal and adjunct that I usually encounter in these adjunct lagers. Nothing to write home about, but against its competition, not bad at all.

Taste- Hay, grass, and sweet corn dominate the flavor profile. Not an incredibly huge flavor by any means, but a touch of all three. Most importantly for me, the flavor was NOT dominated by metal, rice, and other adjunct flavors. Surprisingly okay.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Carbonation was a touch aggressive, but not overly out of line for the style. Drinkability was also pretty good for the style given the mild taste and lack of off flavors.

Overall, well worth a shot for an adjunct lager. Very reasonably priced and not overly offensive. Good for BMC drinkers looking for something with a touch of flavor.

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)