Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)
Liked This Beer
3.54 w/ 508 ratings
Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States
schlitzgusto.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

"Classic 1960's Formula" Schlitz Gusto reintroduced in 2008. 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft.

Original Schlitz in 12 oz. cans and draft:

Added by Pauly2X on 08-13-2008

Liked:
3.54/5
Alströms:

Reviews by brewerburgundy:
3.13/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can, date of 6/13/11 on the bottom of the can, nonic.

Light, shining golden yellow with perfect clarity. The head is a glossy white foamy affair with decent retention for the style, meaning from inches and inches there is now half an inch. It does look like it will hold on about there and possibly leave some dollops on the glass. Never mind, no lacing.

Grassy, almost skunked hops, corn and light malt sweetness, and grain husk typify the style, and I don't find if far off of PBR at all.

Happily the corniness disappears for the most part, but is replaced by a more rice-like sweetness. There is still a grassy and slightly herbal hop presence and a bit of grain. A little more bitterness would make it more crisp.

It seems a little less carbonated than it's peers and I am unsure whether this is good or bad. It slightly detracts from the crisp, refreshing quotient while making it less stomach bursting if you have more than one and allowing the flavors to land more heavily. That last one may be where I'm not sure that less carb is better.

I'm not crazy about the beer. While a more flavorful (mostly in a good way) AAL than most, it is not much of an improvement. It costs more than PBR and I'll stick with that for situations conducive to this kind of beer.

King of BEER take WAY FROM bUD call it SHLITZ . iT TASTE LIKE A germany beer. I bought a six pack of tall ball for little over six pack. Best american lager out there!

Appearance- Nice,carbonation on this beer.

Smell- iT IS THE MOST refreshing beer out there.

Taste- A corn, very light hop, bread, spice, and honey. It is very well balance which makes it a great beer. The finish is ver clean and full. Can drank it all day long!

Mouthfeel-It is very clean. The mouthful is best!

Overall-This is is 5. I have drank the standard american lagers Bud , (High Life, PBR, Red Stripe) and this is the best of t hem all . I will take this over any craft beers s any day.This will s a true staple beer. .

This is my go to all day beer. I love this stuff. I grew up drinking it back in the '60s. When I saw it in the liquor stores again, I naturally bought a 12 pack to try it. OMG! it tasted exactly like I remembered. Like a long lost friend. I've tried a lot of different beers over the years, and I still do. With so many micro breweries out there you just can't help but try them. But I still keep coming back to Schlitz, and then I wonder why I wasted my time and money trying something else...

4.74/5  rDev +33.9%

In my opinion, this is THE best tasting American adjunct lager that I've come across. (and I've had my share of "lawnmower" beers).

Full bodied for an AAL with a touch of hops. Unlike many of the lackluster and flavorless lagers in this category, Schlitz rises to the top and really shines.

If you're into drinking cheap old school American lagers, do yourself a favor and try this one. I think you'll enjoy it. That is, if you can find it.

4.55/5  rDev +28.5%

You couldn't ask much more out of a beer in this style, and that is why I rated it so highly. I believe it is the best in class. I drink a lot of craft beer, but sometimes I just want a classic lager. Something that my grandfather would have drank. This reminds me of the first sip of beer I ever had. It is head and shoulders above Bud, Miller, and the rest of the competition. This and Yeungling are right at the top for the style.

3.86/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

as far as macro-lagers out on the market, this one just might be my favorite. It goes down really damn easy, and is highly refreshing. I didn't get much head at all on the beer, so a slight downgrade for that - but it fermented out clean, with the taste of barley malt instead of rice or corn.

If you need to crush a beer in the garage after working in the yard, this one would fit the bill!

4.56/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Look: like any other beer of its type except initially it actually has a nice big head but dissipates extremely fast

Smell: at first much better than expected can actually smell some hops

Taste: holy shit it tastes like a beer! Especially the first sips with the head. Hop presence is perceptible! First taste was almost like a pale ale

Feel: like water, you could drink this shit all day

overall: I gave this such a high rating based on a comparison of other beers of its type. At $7 and change for a 12 pack I was expecting this to be a garbage beer. I was shocked at the first taste of this beer. Best adjunct lager I've ever tasted.

4.79/5  rDev +35.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Quite Simply THE Single Best American Mass Produced Macro Lager There Is...Bar None~smooth,zesty hop spice,easy drinking,wonderful Brew,Full Flavored...Amazing Beer!
I am not going to go on and on about it's merits...however if you can find this awesome Nectar of the Gods...TRY IT! WOW! What a GR8 Brew~best of the American Macro Brews hands down,cheers ;)

3.65/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This along with Michelob, which is usually more money, are right at the top of the macro-swill heap. Cheerful bright gold with white head that dissipates fast. Sweet and inviting aroma. Lively texture. A marvellous balance of malt and adjunct sweetness, with the faintest whisper of hop, all drawing to an unmistakable and characteristic cornbread finish. A time machine in a bottle. Now getting a bit scarce, there's only one place I know that still sells the 12-packs; other places either don't bother or only have a few 6-packs. If you see it, try it before the curtains are drawn for the final time.

4.2/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance
Large foamy head. Retention is very good. Frothy. Sticks around. Moderate lacing. Clear light golden body. Tiny but active carbonation bubbles.

Smell
Mild corn and malt. Pleasant. Not harsh. Very mild hops.

Taste
Good malt and corn body. Perfect balance between being sweet and dry. Detectable, mild hop background. One of the best adjunct lagers.

Mouthfeel
Somewhere between light and medium bodied. Perfect carbonation. Satisfying.

Overall
Old school American lager beer done right. This is one of the best corn adjunct beers out there. It has character. Very drinkable. Clean and not harsh. Balanced malt sweetness, mild corn dryness, and mild floral and bitter hop backbone. I see why this was the best selling beer in America for a long time.

3.69/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My favorite AAL, it beats Bud/Miller/Coors hands down. Light but tasty malt flavor, and unlike its competitors it has a noticeable hop presence. It makes you wonder why they ever changed he recipe in the first place. At a current local price of around 9 bucks/12 pack, it's the best option for someone on a budget. (Note: $9 is probably more than people pay for Schlitz in other areas. Hi-Life and PBR cost the same. For some reason, cheap beer is more expensive in New Orleans while craft beer is priced pretty reasonably.)

3.24/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a darker golden hued color with a half finger of foam.

Toasted malt, biscuits, corn, and the slightest hop aroma.

Biscuity toasted malt sweetness and a grainy corn flavor.

Light-bodied, high carbonation.

Overall, a very crushable beer.

3.74/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a very golden color with several fingers of white rocky head with a decent amount of carbonation visible. Lots of lacing down the glass.

Smell is lots of grain and barley. Some sweetness and maybe a touch of some type of adjunct, like boiled rice?

Taste is sweet malts with a touch of hop presence way, way in the back. A good mix of the barley, malts and hops for an adjunct.

Mouth feel is wet and refreshing with a fairly dry finish.

Overall this is a decent beer that should be available in twelve packs and larger for those looking for a decent adjunct lager. My wife was not quite sold on the flavor and had me finished her glass, which I did like a good husband.

3.59/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is my go-to yellow fizz water. It's a great summer beer to enjoy while mowing the lawn or at the lake fishing. It's not the best beer in the world, but it has it's niche. There isn't much to the smell; typical adjunct lager, maybe some sweet corn. Taste is sweet with a decent amount of hop flavor finished with a good bitterness. This beer has more hop flavor than most adjunct lagers. Mouthfeel is medium-light, decent carbonation and very drinkable.

I like this beer a lot. Good stuff!

4.57/5  rDev +29.1%

This really is a great tasting AAL, for people who like that light tasting type of beer. I just like beer, so I haven't really tasted many beers I don't like, but that's just me.

This is a little darker than most other AAL's I've had, and definitely has a bit more of a bite of hop and taste of barley than the vast majority of AAL's I've had. Why in the world did Schlitz ever change this formula? It was an act that literally killed the brewery.

If you like classic American lager, give this a try. If you like beer, you'll probably love this one.

3.9/5  rDev +10.2%

Finally made it to PA and there it was in the singles section at my local! Will Cynthia Myers and the El Camino be visiting soon , also?

I had about a finger of bone-white head, but it fell like Wile E. Coyote off of a cliff. Color was a pretty golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. It wasn't fizzy enough for me to make a Greg Koch comment. Nose had a light grassy-hop scent. If this was an adjunct beer, it certainly had me fooled! Maybe extended with rice, but corn was not an additive here. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a lightly grassy hop bitterness on the tongue. This is undoubtedly what they meant by "Just a kiss of the hops". I prefer a French kiss, lingeringly so, but so be it in this case. Finish was pleasant, unobtrusive and definitely nostalgic. Man, I remember these in the heavy returnable bottles in my buddy's dad's reefer. We were big on helping ourselves. This may not be around forever, so grab some and take a trip in the WABAC machine!

3.23/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Possibly one of the best crappy American adjunct macrobrew lagers out there. Light, easy to drink, no offensive skunky odors of urine or corn water and...it actually has a bit of a hop profile! That's right, drinking this one up against Bud, Miller, PBR, even Yuengling and Sam Adams, this one has the most developed, interesting flavor of them all due to a friendly, tasteful dose of hops. Nothing overwhelming, just a hint of pine, a little bitter, a little flowery, just enough to let you know that it's the top pauper beer in town. If it's cheap enough, this is my go-to "lawnmower beer." And it comes in a tall-boy.

Best american domestic I have ever had. Good price. A great choice when you want a regular beer. This is not my favorite style, but this I think is a best in class. Had it in bottles, looking for cans by the case.

3.99/5  rDev +12.7%

For the style.....A clear golden with lots of bubbles rising and a good finger of soapy white head that sticks around. The smell is grassy and grainy, a little wet blanket, and a crackery malt. Flavor has a nice bready overtone, and a mild grassy/hoppy flavor. Medium thin body but not really too watery. Average carbonation, a little slick and then drier on the finish. Tastes pretty good for what it is with no off flavors. Good fishing beer. Nice thick lacing down the glass.

3.53/5  rDev -0.3%

A - Poured out a very bubbly, clear, golden-yellow color with a small, very bubbly, short-lived, white head. There was no lacing left behind.

S - It smelled of grains and caramel with a slight floral aroma. Much better than most other beers of this style.

T - Sweet caramel and grains lead off this beer with a touch of mild hop bitterness.

M - It was very crisp and sharp. A light bodied lager that finishes very smooth and clean.

D - This is probably the best brew of this style that I've had. It tastes like a "real" beer unlike others of this style.

Drank gallons of this before the great Frank Sellinger "Improvement" of the late 1970's which rightfully put the company out of business. The new reformulated brew tastes just like the Schlitz of old. Was the best mass produced beer then and still is with this formula. Just make sure you get the new reformulated stuff and not the bargain basement stuff usually found in the 12 oz cans at the Quickie Marts. Better than Bud, better than Coors and better than Miller. Cannot top the microbrews but it never was intended to compete with this market. Hope they keep producing this.

4.45/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz can into standard pint glass.

A: typical macro lager plus one shade darker. Fluffy white head clears quickly. Hefty chugs leave nice looking lacing.

S: there's not a lot going on here, but what is happening is pleasant. Floral-soapy hops are present. Almost reminds me of a Czech pils.

T: on par with smell. Floral hops and dry. Very refreshing, makes you want to take another sip soon after the last.

M: thin but crazy refreshing. Carbonation is just right for the style . This one could be drunk all day while watching football or whatever your sport of preference may be.

O: the best aal I've ever had. BMC should be keeping an eye on this one. I could see this coming back and staking a claim in the aal landscape. Blows the other aal's I've tried out of the water. No pun intended...

4.31/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A surprisingly good, European tasting beer - especially for the price. Hoppier than most American adjuncts. I used to get a lot of ribbing from guys at my local watering-hole for drinking Schlitz ($2 a can) until I made a bet with the bartender that people would prefer Schlitz in a blind taste test. We chose Bud, Harp larger, Carlsburg and Schlitz and invited a table of eight (guys and gals) to sample each and declare their favorite. They ALL chose Schlitz! Then when they found out, they got mad and left. Why get mad over finding out you really like a $2.00 beer?

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I got a six pack of "Tall Boy" cans in a trade with arvjunk. Thanks Ankur!
* 5/3/11 - got a 12 pack of 12oz cans

16oz can served in a pilsner glass.
*12oz can served in the same glassware (cleaned of course!).

L - clear yellow with a white head that thinned to a ring and left a few spots of lacing.
*No difference in the 12oz.

S - somewhat grainy and a little bitter.
*I got pretty much the same whiff the 12oz.

T - sweet taste with a hint of bitterness on the backend.
*It's all good.

F - lighter bodied with a crisp feel making it very easy to drink a lot of.
*It's pretty consistant.

D - this is a classic from my youth and I really like it.
*12oz cans are now available to me locally, cool!

3.8/5  rDev +7.3%

I first had this beer after spotting it in the beer isle of my hometown grocery store. I already knew about it, knowing that it was huge in the 60s, but has since puttered out in popularity. Well I'll say, this is one adjunct lager that surprised me quite a bit.

I poured it from a 12 oz. can into a typical pint glass. The head frothed up bubbly and pure white, diminishing quickly as most adjuncts do. However, before it diminished I gave it a whiff and noticed much more malt and hop nose coming through. This is something I don't quite get with say budweiser or pbr. I also was unaware until I was about halfway through the 12 pack I bought that this was the re-issued classic 60s formula. I had heard that Schlitz was no longer as good as it was before they changed how they brewed it, but that it now tasted like a Schlitz should. This beer also has a higher carbonation than most adjuncts I drink. More on par with the carb of High Life.

This beer tastes spicy and bitter to me. Which is right up my alley when it comes to a cold one. You can taste a good bit of hops with some sweetening malts about halfway through a swig. Your left with the bitter aftertaste of the hops, giving a satisfying taste each time you take a drink.

The mouthfeel is bubbly and sharp, hence the high carbonation. But because of this, makes it that much more refreshing.

All in all, I'd say this has become my new favorite American adjunct I've had so far. I usually pick up Budweiser, High Life, and Pabst; but I'd say this tops them all in my opinion. Not sure I could say the same if they hadn't re-introduced the classic formula before I hit 21, but oh well, lucky me! However, if you like more malt and less bitter hops, I'd go with something else. The only downside about this beer is that I can't get it where I currently live. I'll have to pick up a couple 12 packs each time I'm home from college. Anyway, a refreshing, satisfying adjunct to quench your thirst and catch a buzz on a hot summer day. Now all I need is a wife with a beehive and a '64 Chevy in the driveway.

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Beer rating: 38.6% out of 100 with 508 ratings