Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) | JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

good
Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)
Illinois, United States
schlitzgusto.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

"Classic 1960's Formula" Schlitz Gusto reintroduced in 2008. 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft.

Original Schlitz in 12 oz. cans and draft:

Added by Pauly2X on 08-13-2008

Reviews by jeremyd365:
1.99/5  rDev -44.4%

Pours a light golden with a slight white head. Smells like a macro--overpowering sour with a little maltiness. The mouthfeel is thin but average for a macro. The flavor is... ah yes, like college. Reminds me of PBR. It's sour, but at least it's cold. I wasn't going to say it was horrible, but.. it's horrible. I got it for the novelty, and that's about all it's good for. Maybe I'll buy a sixer for my dad or grandpa--they'd probably get a kick out of it.

King of BEER take WAY FROM bUD call it SHLITZ . iT TASTE LIKE A germany beer. I bought a six pack of tall ball for little over six pack. Best american lager out there!

Appearance- Nice,carbonation on this beer.

Smell- iT IS THE MOST refreshing beer out there.

Taste- A corn, very light hop, bread, spice, and honey. It is very well balance which makes it a great beer. The finish is ver clean and full. Can drank it all day long!

Mouthfeel-It is very clean. The mouthful is best!

Overall-This is is 5. I have drank the standard american lagers Bud , (High Life, PBR, Red Stripe) and this is the best of t hem all . I will take this over any craft beers s any day.This will s a true staple beer. .

This is my go to all day beer. I love this stuff. I grew up drinking it back in the '60s. When I saw it in the liquor stores again, I naturally bought a 12 pack to try it. OMG! it tasted exactly like I remembered. Like a long lost friend. I've tried a lot of different beers over the years, and I still do. With so many micro breweries out there you just can't help but try them. But I still keep coming back to Schlitz, and then I wonder why I wasted my time and money trying something else...

4.74/5  rDev +32.4%

In my opinion, this is THE best tasting American adjunct lager that I've come across. (and I've had my share of "lawnmower" beers).

Full bodied for an AAL with a touch of hops. Unlike many of the lackluster and flavorless lagers in this category, Schlitz rises to the top and really shines.

If you're into drinking cheap old school American lagers, do yourself a favor and try this one. I think you'll enjoy it. That is, if you can find it.

4.55/5  rDev +27.1%

You couldn't ask much more out of a beer in this style, and that is why I rated it so highly. I believe it is the best in class. I drink a lot of craft beer, but sometimes I just want a classic lager. Something that my grandfather would have drank. This reminds me of the first sip of beer I ever had. It is head and shoulders above Bud, Miller, and the rest of the competition. This and Yeungling are right at the top for the style.

3.86/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

as far as macro-lagers out on the market, this one just might be my favorite. It goes down really damn easy, and is highly refreshing. I didn't get much head at all on the beer, so a slight downgrade for that - but it fermented out clean, with the taste of barley malt instead of rice or corn.

If you need to crush a beer in the garage after working in the yard, this one would fit the bill!

4.56/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Look: like any other beer of its type except initially it actually has a nice big head but dissipates extremely fast

Smell: at first much better than expected can actually smell some hops

Taste: holy shit it tastes like a beer! Especially the first sips with the head. Hop presence is perceptible! First taste was almost like a pale ale

Feel: like water, you could drink this shit all day

overall: I gave this such a high rating based on a comparison of other beers of its type. At $7 and change for a 12 pack I was expecting this to be a garbage beer. I was shocked at the first taste of this beer. Best adjunct lager I've ever tasted.

4.79/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Quite Simply THE Single Best American Mass Produced Macro Lager There Is...Bar None~smooth,zesty hop spice,easy drinking,wonderful Brew,Full Flavored...Amazing Beer!
I am not going to go on and on about it's merits...however if you can find this awesome Nectar of the Gods...TRY IT! WOW! What a GR8 Brew~best of the American Macro Brews hands down,cheers ;)

3.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This along with Michelob, which is usually more money, are right at the top of the macro-swill heap. Cheerful bright gold with white head that dissipates fast. Sweet and inviting aroma. Lively texture. A marvellous balance of malt and adjunct sweetness, with the faintest whisper of hop, all drawing to an unmistakable and characteristic cornbread finish. A time machine in a bottle. Now getting a bit scarce, there's only one place I know that still sells the 12-packs; other places either don't bother or only have a few 6-packs. If you see it, try it before the curtains are drawn for the final time.

4.2/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance
Large foamy head. Retention is very good. Frothy. Sticks around. Moderate lacing. Clear light golden body. Tiny but active carbonation bubbles.

Smell
Mild corn and malt. Pleasant. Not harsh. Very mild hops.

Taste
Good malt and corn body. Perfect balance between being sweet and dry. Detectable, mild hop background. One of the best adjunct lagers.

Mouthfeel
Somewhere between light and medium bodied. Perfect carbonation. Satisfying.

Overall
Old school American lager beer done right. This is one of the best corn adjunct beers out there. It has character. Very drinkable. Clean and not harsh. Balanced malt sweetness, mild corn dryness, and mild floral and bitter hop backbone. I see why this was the best selling beer in America for a long time.

3.69/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My favorite AAL, it beats Bud/Miller/Coors hands down. Light but tasty malt flavor, and unlike its competitors it has a noticeable hop presence. It makes you wonder why they ever changed he recipe in the first place. At a current local price of around 9 bucks/12 pack, it's the best option for someone on a budget. (Note: $9 is probably more than people pay for Schlitz in other areas. Hi-Life and PBR cost the same. For some reason, cheap beer is more expensive in New Orleans while craft beer is priced pretty reasonably.)

3.24/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a darker golden hued color with a half finger of foam.

Toasted malt, biscuits, corn, and the slightest hop aroma.

Biscuity toasted malt sweetness and a grainy corn flavor.

Light-bodied, high carbonation.

Overall, a very crushable beer.

3.74/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a very golden color with several fingers of white rocky head with a decent amount of carbonation visible. Lots of lacing down the glass.

Smell is lots of grain and barley. Some sweetness and maybe a touch of some type of adjunct, like boiled rice?

Taste is sweet malts with a touch of hop presence way, way in the back. A good mix of the barley, malts and hops for an adjunct.

Mouth feel is wet and refreshing with a fairly dry finish.

Overall this is a decent beer that should be available in twelve packs and larger for those looking for a decent adjunct lager. My wife was not quite sold on the flavor and had me finished her glass, which I did like a good husband.

3.59/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is my go-to yellow fizz water. It's a great summer beer to enjoy while mowing the lawn or at the lake fishing. It's not the best beer in the world, but it has it's niche. There isn't much to the smell; typical adjunct lager, maybe some sweet corn. Taste is sweet with a decent amount of hop flavor finished with a good bitterness. This beer has more hop flavor than most adjunct lagers. Mouthfeel is medium-light, decent carbonation and very drinkable.

I like this beer a lot. Good stuff!

4.57/5  rDev +27.7%

This really is a great tasting AAL, for people who like that light tasting type of beer. I just like beer, so I haven't really tasted many beers I don't like, but that's just me.

This is a little darker than most other AAL's I've had, and definitely has a bit more of a bite of hop and taste of barley than the vast majority of AAL's I've had. Why in the world did Schlitz ever change this formula? It was an act that literally killed the brewery.

If you like classic American lager, give this a try. If you like beer, you'll probably love this one.

3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Finally made it to PA and there it was in the singles section at my local! Will Cynthia Myers and the El Camino be visiting soon , also?

I had about a finger of bone-white head, but it fell like Wile E. Coyote off of a cliff. Color was a pretty golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. It wasn't fizzy enough for me to make a Greg Koch comment. Nose had a light grassy-hop scent. If this was an adjunct beer, it certainly had me fooled! Maybe extended with rice, but corn was not an additive here. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a lightly grassy hop bitterness on the tongue. This is undoubtedly what they meant by "Just a kiss of the hops". I prefer a French kiss, lingeringly so, but so be it in this case. Finish was pleasant, unobtrusive and definitely nostalgic. Man, I remember these in the heavy returnable bottles in my buddy's dad's reefer. We were big on helping ourselves. This may not be around forever, so grab some and take a trip in the WABAC machine!

3.23/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Possibly one of the best crappy American adjunct macrobrew lagers out there. Light, easy to drink, no offensive skunky odors of urine or corn water and...it actually has a bit of a hop profile! That's right, drinking this one up against Bud, Miller, PBR, even Yuengling and Sam Adams, this one has the most developed, interesting flavor of them all due to a friendly, tasteful dose of hops. Nothing overwhelming, just a hint of pine, a little bitter, a little flowery, just enough to let you know that it's the top pauper beer in town. If it's cheap enough, this is my go-to "lawnmower beer." And it comes in a tall-boy.

Best american domestic I have ever had. Good price. A great choice when you want a regular beer. This is not my favorite style, but this I think is a best in class. Had it in bottles, looking for cans by the case.

3.99/5  rDev +11.5%

For the style.....A clear golden with lots of bubbles rising and a good finger of soapy white head that sticks around. The smell is grassy and grainy, a little wet blanket, and a crackery malt. Flavor has a nice bready overtone, and a mild grassy/hoppy flavor. Medium thin body but not really too watery. Average carbonation, a little slick and then drier on the finish. Tastes pretty good for what it is with no off flavors. Good fishing beer. Nice thick lacing down the glass.

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Poured out a very bubbly, clear, golden-yellow color with a small, very bubbly, short-lived, white head. There was no lacing left behind.

S - It smelled of grains and caramel with a slight floral aroma. Much better than most other beers of this style.

T - Sweet caramel and grains lead off this beer with a touch of mild hop bitterness.

M - It was very crisp and sharp. A light bodied lager that finishes very smooth and clean.

D - This is probably the best brew of this style that I've had. It tastes like a "real" beer unlike others of this style.

Drank gallons of this before the great Frank Sellinger "Improvement" of the late 1970's which rightfully put the company out of business. The new reformulated brew tastes just like the Schlitz of old. Was the best mass produced beer then and still is with this formula. Just make sure you get the new reformulated stuff and not the bargain basement stuff usually found in the 12 oz cans at the Quickie Marts. Better than Bud, better than Coors and better than Miller. Cannot top the microbrews but it never was intended to compete with this market. Hope they keep producing this.

4.31/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A surprisingly good, European tasting beer - especially for the price. Hoppier than most American adjuncts. I used to get a lot of ribbing from guys at my local watering-hole for drinking Schlitz ($2 a can) until I made a bet with the bartender that people would prefer Schlitz in a blind taste test. We chose Bud, Harp larger, Carlsburg and Schlitz and invited a table of eight (guys and gals) to sample each and declare their favorite. They ALL chose Schlitz! Then when they found out, they got mad and left. Why get mad over finding out you really like a $2.00 beer?

4.23/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"Go for the Gusto. Your Schlitz is back."

--Jos. Schlitz Brewing Company

Sun-splashed goldenrod with scads of sparkly carbonation leading up to an attractive cap of eggshell colored frothiness. I wonder if the head looks vastly superior to the heads on most American pale lagers because there are fewer (or no) adjuncts. A short sudsy collar of lace appears as the foam begins to recede.

The nose harbors no surprises, other than a lack of nastiness. The beer smells like cereal grains and musky hops, which is pretty much par for the style course. The brewery claims that this version has 'a more full-bodied taste' and 'more hop flavor'. Let's see if it actually does.

I'll be damned. Schlitz Gusto is the best beer of this style that I've ever had the pleasure to drink. And it isn't even close. Most of the present day recipes taste like diluted pond water compared to this stuff. It tastes and feels like there's at least 50% more barley in here. I'm sure the cost of ingredients is most of the reason why the brewery dumbed down Schlitz in the 1970s.

Gusto is both sweeter (maltier) and slightly more bitter (hoppier) than any pale lager you'd care to name. If it had been a part of a MacroSmackdown, it would have blown the doors off the competition after the first mouthful. Untoasted grain is perfectly complemented by musky, almost grassy, hops. Simple never tasted so good.

I once gave a craft beer to a friend who described the mouthfeel as 'way too thick'. She would have thought the same about this mouthfeel. As a member of the 'bigger is almost always better' school, I think it's tremendous. If fact, this might be the best mouthfeel on any sub-5.0% lager ever. No joke.

I have always wondered what the iconic American brands tasted and drank like back in the day. If Schlitz was as good then as Schlitz Gusto is now, then it's even more disappointing how far the asshats at A-B, Miller and Coors have taken us down the road of, not even mediocrity, but godforsaken swillery. *This* is what an American pale lager should taste like.

4.6/5  rDev +28.5%

Original formula is stormin' the Cedar Valley, for some reason. They got huge POP in all the bars, even the nice ones. Big display at the Hy-Vee Wine and Spirits, and since I was in the mood for something light so I figured whatever.

Pours High-Life decent. Pale straw color, but the head is really nice and white and surprisingly retentive.

Smells a good sight better than the Schlitz I remember from my youth. I grew up in the 90s, mind. Light straw, hints of grain and hay, and believe it or not there's actually a little kiss o' hop in there. (There, I said it.) Granted, it's faint. Every thing's faint. But nothing is offputting, no adjunct metal or skunkiness or nothing.

Tastes grainy and mealy, like cereal. Decent dose of hops in there, too. Light malt sweetness dominates, bitter hops finish that's actually present, you don't have to squint to see it, it might not be as strong as a straight-up pils but it's still there. It finishes with a grain and yeast aftertaste that's similar to Bud Heavy but without the unpleasant bittersweetness. It--it's pretty amazing, absolutely perfect for what it is but also absolutely perfect by any other standard. The flavor is so astounding, so busy yet balanced, full yet crisp, that I can understand how this style became the norm.

Surprisingly good, easily the best macro-style lager I've ever had. I'd take this over BMC any day, and it even eclipses High Life and Grain Belt.

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)